Bellazon

Ymre Stiekema
Thumbnail

lisa-1

2010/04/09

YMRE STIEKEMA: the interview

Ymre Stiekema is with DNA NY & VANDEMAST (Netherlands)

PONY RYDER: You’ve came a long way since the Elite Model Look contest. Your agent has done an amazing job with your career! How did the two of you develop your career at the beginning?

YMRE STIEKEMA: My agent Jeroen van de Mast thought I was too young after I won the Dutch EML in 2007. Jeroen didn't want me to do the EML international due to my young age. He waited another year for me to enter the world final in Prague.

After that, Jeroen started to introduce me to major clients.

PONY RYDER: It is common knowledge that you applied for the Elite contest, but who actually scouted you?

YMRE STIEKEMA: Jeroen scouted me in a department store.

PONY RYDER: When did this happen, and what was the first step after that?

YMRE STIEKEMA: That was in 2006. After that I did a lot photo test shoots. Also we did catwalk training etc.

PONY RYDER: What about the other girls from the contest, did you meet them after the contest, have any of them succeeded with a career in modeling?

YMRE STIEKEMA: I don't know exactly what happened with the other girls. I do believe they will do a great job. But I had to go back and focus 100% on school.

PONY RYDER: Even though it’s almost impossible in your case, have there been any disappointments so far?

YMRE STIEKEMA: I had some disappointments with my international agencies in the past. But that is something between them and me.

PONY RYDER: Do people recognize you on the street?

YMRE STIEKEMA: I don’t think people often recognize me. Once there was an incident when some people were yelling from the other side of the street: ‘yeah that’s Ymre’ and they came up to meet me.

PONY RYDER: Have your plans for college changed? Do you still want to be an interior designer?

YMRE STIEKEMA: I still think it would be very nice, but I don’t think I want to do it professionally.

PONY RYDER: You seem so well grounded and quite secretive. Do you think your friends would agree with this… How would they describe you?

YMRE STIEKEMA: I suppose my friends would describe me as a quiet, spontaneous, happy girl, living with both feet on the ground.

PONY RYDER: You are also known for your professionalism. How do you stay so grounded when you have every reason to be full of yourself?

YMRE STIEKEMA: I’m just me as I am. I don’t really fancy being in the spotlight. Just act normal!

PONY RYDER: Do you still look up to Doutzen Kroes? What do you think of the attacks on her because of her weight...

YMRE STIEKEMA: Doutzen is a fantastic model. That's all I want to say...

PONY RYDER: You walked for lots of designers… which shows do you remember as your favorites?

YMRE STIEKEMA: Roberto Cavalli, this was my first international show, and it made a big impression on me at that time. During the fitting I saw a very - very nice white dress. When they asked me to wear that dress it was like a dream come through.

The Prada show was also very special because I opened the show.

PONY RYDER: Did you ever get shoes that were too big or too small, to walk on the runway?

YMRE STIEKEMA: Too small, very often, but I stay cool and professional, it's part of the job.

PONY RYDER: How do you maintain your skin?

YMRE STIEKEMA: I use a day and night cream with Aloe Vera from a Dutch brand; de Tuinen. But often I only use it in the morning. I also put oil on my skin after taking a shower in the morning.

I use the same moisturizer for day and night.

PONY RYDER: What brand of sun block do you use?

YMRE STIEKEMA: Garnier Ambre Solaire.

PONY RYDER: What are your makeup essentials?

YMRE STIEKEMA: I always put on mascara; Shiseido Perfect mascara.

PONY RYDER: Everybody wants to know - What are your other beauty secrets?

YMRE STIEKEMA: Make sure you’re always well prepared for a job or when you see a client (hair, nails, skin, etc.)

PONY RYDER: How do you stay in shape?

YMRE STIEKEMA: 2 times a week personal training and 3 times a week I play volleyball

PONY RYDER: How much attention do you pay to your diet actually?

YMRE STIEKEMA: A lot, always actually.

PONY RYDER: What does your breakfast look like?

YMRE STIEKEMA: Low fat yoghurt, a glass of water and some fruit.

PONY RYDER: Do you prefer coffee or tea?

YMRE STIEKEMA: Both, but I drink tea more often.

PONY RYDER: Which brand of chocolate is your favorite?

YMRE STIEKEMA: None, I really love all types of chocolate!

PONY RYDER: Finally… does the love still shine?

YMRE STIEKEMA: Yes, I’m with my boyfriend for 3 years now and still very much in love.

source: pony-ryder.com

• 2 weeks later...

May 10, 2010 (www.digital-diamonds.blogspot.com)

A second try, a second chance... and hundreds of options for Ymre!

After gracing several Prada ads (from Linnea Rossa, to their Resort and Sports line up to the fragrance campaign and the S/S + F/W ads in 2009) and being photographed by the biggest names in the industry (Meisel, Roversi and Demarchelier to be precise), there was a big silence around Ymre Stiekema. But after her NY agency switch from One to DNA and finishing school this summer (so, finally starting to model full-time), we should probably be prepared for some major things to happen quite soon!

Stay tuned.

post-16474-1273515048_thumb.jpg

post-16474-1273515073_thumb.jpg

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Dutch Promise by Ella Alexander 07 January 2011

post-31828-0-1446016364-50429_thumb.jpg

Rising model Ymre Stiekema says there is nothing quite like walking for catwalk show.

"When you model for a show you get this real sense of adrenaline. It's difficult when the shoes are so high - that part's quite scary - but you just have to do it," she tells us. "I also really like the camaraderie between all the girls backstage. It isn't like people imagine."

Dutch-born Stiekema has walked for some of fashion's biggest names from Givenchy to Dior. Her first major job was for Prada in 2007, when she became the face of their spring/summer 2008 campaign - shot by none other than Steven Meisel.

"Prada is such a huge company and it was an honour to work with them and so early on in my career," she says. "It was an unbelievable experience."

Stiekema was scouted while shopping in her hometown in Holland but is now based in New York. After taking some time out in 2010, to complete her exams, the 18-year-old beauty is back on the modelling scene and has her sights set high for the future.

"I'd love to do a big hair campaign for L'Oreal and Prada would be great too obviously," she laughs. "Doing something for Victoria's Secret would be great - I love Doutzen Kroes. She's so special to look at but seems like a very normal person. She's true to herself - that's important to me."

Ymre Stiekema is currently represented by Viva Models.

vogue.co.uk

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...