Bellazon

Kings of Leon
Thumbnail

Michael*

Kings of Leon

kingsofleonwh2.jpg

Kings of Leon are a rock band made up of the three Followill brothers (Caleb, Nathan, and Jared), and their cousin (Matthew Followill), based in Mt. Juliet, Tennessee, United States. Their influences include Southern rock, garage rock, Hard rock, country and blues.

History

The group's name is derived from Nathan, Caleb, and Jared's father and grandfather, both named Leon. Jared and Caleb were born in Tennessee, while Nathan and Matthew were born in Oklahoma. Matthew is a cousin to Nathan, Caleb and Jared. The brothers spent much of their youth travelling around the SSCS with their father, a traveling United Pentecostal Church preacher and their mother, who taught them when they were not in school. According to Rolling Stone magazine, "While Leon preached at churches and tent revivals throughout the Deep South, the boys attended and were occasionally enlisted to bang on some drums. They were home-schooled or enrolled in small parochial schools. Except for a five-year stretch when they settled in Jackson, Tennessee, the Followills spent their childhoods driving through the South, camping for a week or two wherever Leon was scheduled to preach."

Although it was rumored their father, Leon, was defrocked, in an article for Q Magazine in July 2007 Leon himself was quoted as saying "I was not defrocked, I was forced to resign." After various jobs, the brothers moved to Nashville in 1998. They formed a band in 2000 with their cousin Matthew. Their music is influenced by their religious upbringing and Jack Daniels. Brothers Nathan and Caleb originally sang country music and later moved to playing rock and roll. They worked for a brief period of time with label and management group Pistol Creek Productions. They spent their time with this label mainly singing at rodeos. They also were members of the West Tennessee Mass Choir for a short time. Nathan, the eldest of the brothers, graduated from Christian Life Academy (a private school that is now defunct) in Henderson, TN. Caleb dropped out mid-senior year to pursue country music.

Upon signing with RCA, they were introduced to Nashville-based song-writer/producer Angelo Petraglia, who had previously worked with artists such as Brooks & Dunn, Trisha Yearwood and Martina McBride. Petraglia would prove very important to the band, moving them in a more rock-oriented direction and co-writing many of their songs. "I turned those guys on to the Rolling Stones and a lot of the older raw rock-and-roll stuff," he said.

In an interview Caleb Followill cited The Rolling Stones, Neil Young and Bob Dylan as some of the band's early influences. Caleb also stated though that "...because of the way we [the band members] grew up, we were really sheltered from music and we didn't know that much...", going on to say that the significant musical influences have only been in very recent years.

Holy Roller Novocaine and Youth and Young Manhood

Kings of Leon's first release, The Holy Roller Novocaine EP came out in 2003. Four of its five songs would later be released on Youth and Young Manhood, with the songs "California Waiting" and "Wasted Time" being remade. The EP also contained the B-side "Wicker Chair". All the songs were co-written by Petraglia.

Their debut album Youth and Young Manhood propelled them to relative stardom, particularly outside the United States, where they were dubbed one of the driving forces behind the so-called "new rock revolution" by the European press. Their stakes only rose when they were chosen by popular rock bands The Strokes and U2 to tour with them. According to Jared, the title of the album was taken from their father's Bible. All songs were again co-written by Petraglia, who also contributed guitar and co-produced the album with Ethan Johns. The songs "Molly's Chambers", "Red Morning Light", and "Holy Roller Novocaine" were used in various video games, movies, and TV advertisements.

Aha Shake Heartbreak

The band's second album Aha Shake Heartbreak was released in the United Kingdom in October 2004 and in the United States in February 2005. Building on the southern-infused garage rock of their first album, the album was released to widespread acclaim and broadened the band's domestic and international audience. "The Bucket", "Four Kicks", and "King of the Rodeo" were all released as singles, with the "The Bucket" rising into the Top 20 in Britain. "Taper Jean Girl" was used in the 2007 thriller movie, "Disturbia". The band also garnered accolades from several of their rock peers, including Isaac Brock of Modest Mouse, Bryan Adams, Noel Gallagher of Oasis, Kelly Jones of Stereophonics, Eddie Vedder of Pearl Jam, and Bob Dylan. The band toured with Pearl Jam and Bob Dylan for much of 2005 and 2006.

Because of the Times

In March 2006, it was announced by NME that Kings of Leon were back in the studio, working on their third album. Drummer Nathan Followill told NME.COM: "Man, we're sitting on a bunch of songs right now that we wish we could let the world hear!". The band's third album was titled Because of the Times, which may be a reference to a large UPC ministers conference of the same name held in Alexandria, Louisiana that the brothers often attended.

The album was released on April 2, 2007 in the UK, and a day later in the US to virtually universal praise. NME said that the album "cemented Kings of Leon as one of the great American bands of our time" and Entertainment Weekly called Because of the Times "an epic wide-screen movie of a CD and the band's best to date." Another reviewer described Because of the Times as, "an accomplished album of unbelievable beauty and familiar, loveable grit. Kings of Leon is maturing wonderfully and with patience, not forcing anything musically or lyrically that doesn’t sound natural."

After this album was released, Ed O'Brien of Radiohead admitted he was a fan, adding them to a list of Radiohead's favorite acts. He said, "I don't get jealous when I see other bands, but when I see them I think, 'Man, I'd love to be in that band'. They're young...they remind me of... the Bunnymen or something like that. They're growing, they're evolving... They're amazing players, the drummer, he's amazing. They're all great but he's really special."

The album debuted at #1 in the UK and Ireland and entered the US charts at #25, selling approximately 70,000 copies in its first week of release. The album was preceded by the single "On Call", which became a hit in Britain. The album showed a clear evolution from the band's previous work, as the band's trademark dirty, southern-fried swagger was replaced with a more mature, polished sound. This, however, did not stop the album from becoming arguably the band's most successful commercial and critical release. Other singles from the album were "Fans" and "Charmer."

The 4th album

In early 2008, frontman Caleb Followil confirmed to UK magazine NME that the band is working on tracks for the fourth album. In an interview Jared (bass) said the next album will "rock harder", and that they are "ready to tackle their southern roots...again." Recording began in February 08, when the band completed its 2007 tour. They are currently finishing their recording sessions in Nashville, Tennessee and predict the album to be released in September, 2008.

In the June 2008 issue of Rolling Stone Magazine, Caleb discussed how he believes his pain medication (which he takes after a fistfight with brother Nathan) inspires him to write some of the "most beautiful" songs, so much that he's acclaimed he is "proud track-by-track."

The band have already debuted two new songs entitled "Crawl" and "Cold Desert", both of which can be found on youtube.

Members

Caleb Followill (rhythm guitar/lead vocals)

Matthew Followill (lead guitar)

Jared Followill (bass guitar/backup vocals)

Nathan Followill (drums/percussion/backup vocals)

Thank you Michael for starting the thread! I was itching to start one :p

Lol, I first heard "On Call" in those fashion shows I watched on FTV but I didn't know who the band was. Then I watched the Brit awards this year and found out that it was KOL and I spent the entire easter holiday listening to the them. Hehehe, a few weeks later I bought all of their albums :D Shame the first album is faulty...But I love their new album!

Cannot wait until they perform in Glastonbury this year, although I won't actually be there watching, I will enjoy watching them perform on TV.

LONG LIVE THE KING!

I was waiting for you to start this!! :laugh:

the third one is the one that made fall in love with them so... IT'S THE BEST!!! :hell yea!:

the name of the new album is : Only by the night

the new NME scans( it's not that great but you can read it all :whistle:)

post-16352-0-1446121892-20531_thumb.jpgpost-16352-0-1446121892-22233_thumb.jpgpost-16352-0-1446121892-26297_thumb.jpgpost-16352-0-1446121892-29586_thumb.jpg

credits o-dusty

KC4b.jpg

Thanks for the scans, Nanda! :hug:

I can't find any of last night's performance yet, but they were great and I'm sure the videos will be up soon. For now, I'll post this one...

Kings Of Leon talk to NME backstage before their headline show at Glastonbury 2008 -

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Crawl isn't the new single ( thanks god cause i reallly didn't like it) but you can download it here

http://www.kingsofleon.com/

Sex On Fire is the name of the new single but it wasn't released or posted anywhere

also they are going to start to post home some home videos on youtube . here's a sneak peek

the song they used on this video is new and it's called Use Somebody

i really liked it :drool:

LMAO at Jared "playing golf" :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

i'm almost sure Crawl, Use Somebody and Manhattan are going to be in the new album

why you don't wanna hear it? none of these tracks were illegally leaked on the net ;)

you can download Crawl on their official site

Use Somebody was used on that home video

and Crawl and Manhattan were both played live already

also they are on the September Rolling Stone Australia Cover

if i find scans i will post here :drool:

Kol.jpg

HA

Thanks Nanda! :heart:

I downloaded 'Crawl' at the weekend then looked at my MP3 player today and found out that I'd listened to it 30 times already, so I think it's safe to say that I like it. The only problem is that it's now even more difficult to wait until September for the album! :laugh: