Bellazon

Lionel Messi
Thumbnail

Natz

Messi: I dedicate goals to grandma

Barcelona ace Lionel Messi has revealed that he dedicates every goal to his late grandmother.

The Argentinean, who points to the sky after every goal he scores, admitted that his grandmother has been instrumental in making him who the player he is today although she is not able to witness how far he has progressed.

"I am doing this because I dedicate my goals to my grandmother," Messi was quoted as saying by Marca.

"She took to me to football but now she can't see how far I have come.

"Nevertheless, she continues to help me and my family

Messi, who has been in scintillating form this season, revealed he is playing football not for the profession of the game, but the love and passion of it.

He added: "I started playing football because I loved it. And now I do it not just because football is my profession, but because I get great pleasure from the sport. I continue to treat it as a game."

The 23-year-old has dedicated 25 goals to his grandmother this season.

And by the rate Messi is scoring, she would be overwhelmed above.

"Sacrilege to compare Ronaldo & Messi"

Sevilla president Jose Maria del Nido thinks there is no way Cristiano Ronaldo can be compared to Lionel Messi.

Messi has continued his sensational form over the past two years with yet another sizzling campaign for Barcelona.

The Catalan giants are five points clear of Real Madrid at the top of La Liga, having played a game more than their rivals as of Sunday afternoon.

Messi himself has scored 17 goals for the club so far.

Although it's a tally that has been matched by Ronaldo, who could go past the little Argentinean if he scores against Sevilla on Sunday, del Nido thinks Messi is in a league of his own right now.

Speaking to the press prior to his side's trip to the Bernabeu, he said: "It is sacrilege to compare Messi with Ronaldo. Cristiano Ronaldo is a good player, but Messi is the best in the world, and is sure to become the greatest among the great players."

Commenting on Sevilla's prospects against Real, he said:"It is very difficult to get points at the Bernabeu, but the intention to achieve a positive outcome. The game against Borussia Dortmund has given us a reactions, and now we look forward to Madrid.

"The team will fight to finish between third and fourth. [Gregorio] Manzano will be given a lot of time on the bench, and we have a better team now than we did four years ago."

Sevilla are currently 11th in the table, having garnered 20 points in 15 games.

"Give award to Xavi, Messi & Iniesta"

Barcelona defender Gerard Pique thinks the Ballon d'Or should be given to all three of his teammates.

The Barca trio of Lionel Messi, Xavi Hernandez and Andres Iniesta has been nominated for the prestigious award.

All three players have been absolutely crucial in their club's La Liga success in 2010. Xavi and Iniesta were also integral parts of the Spanish World Cup winning squad, but Messi is widely seen as the best player in the world.

It's not an easy choice and one that Pique is not willing to make. Instead he feels the award should be shared between all three.

In comments quoted by AS, the former Manchester United man said: "I would give the Ballon d'Or to all three. Messi is the best in the world without question, but for winning the World Cup, the award should be between Xavi and Iniesta."

Pique was unable to establish himself at Old Trafford but has since become the first-choice central defender for the Spanish champions. And he is aware of the quality in the side - something that was reinforced during last month's clash with Real Madrid.

"In El Clasico, I realised that I play next to the best players," he said.

Barca ran out 5-0 winners against the los Blancos.

Messia astrologically

Cancer

The Crab

Modality: Cardinal

Element: Water

Ruler: the Moon

Season: Summer

4th Sign of Zodiac

Metal: Silver

Stone: Pearl, Opal

Color: White, Yellow

Anatomy: Breasts, stomach

Keywords: gentle, conservative, feeling, nurturing, defensive, contemplative.

Comparison with the Cancer symbol, the Crab:

Cancer the Crab SymbolA crab is able to walk or run sideways. Similarly, Cancer natives can sometimes "move about" in life, in a figurative sense, in an indirect manner. The crab's body is covered by a carapace (shell). Cancer natives are self-protective and sensitive, and often retreat into themselves when hurt. Crabs are able to resist changes in the environment, thereby protecting themselves from hostile elements in various habitats. Similarly, Cancer natives are thought to avoid too much change, and to be on the defensive. Crabs have "complex behavior patterns" (1). The inner world of Cancer natives is thought to be rather quirky and complex. Some crabs "conceal themselves by decorating their bodies with plants and animals" (2). Cancer natives tend to try to blend in with their environments, preferring not to make a big splash in life.

Cancer's glyph, or symbol, may represent the breasts as a symbol of the nurturing qualities of the sign.

FREE Astrology birth chart!

• 2 weeks later...

Messi set for Barcelona return

Barcelona could welcome back Lionel Messi as they look to keep their Copa del Rey hopes alive against Athletic Bilbao.

Messi missed Sunday`s 2-1 league win over Levante after being given extra time off by Pep Guardiola, but he returned to training and could be a timely reinforcement for the trip to San Mames, where Barca will be hoping to book their place in the quarter-finals.

Barca face a tough test having been held to a goalless draw at home in the first leg, but they can take some cheer from Athletic`s 2-1 home defeat to Deportivo La Coruna at the weekend - a result which brought to an end the Basque club`s six-match winning streak at home.

Nevertheless, Barca midfielder Sergio Busquets admits his side cannot afford to take Athletic lightly.

"There`s no margin of error in this game," the Spain international said. "We are going to a ground where they live and breathe football and the fans will be behind their team for the whole 90 minutes.

"I hope that Bilbao aren't as defensive as they were at the Nou Camp.

"It's a key game for us to be able to continue playing every three days or so, which suits us. Last year, when we went out to Sevilla, the weeks seemed much longer.

"We are used to playing every three or four days and it helps us maintain the dynamic of our season."

The match pits the two most successful sides in Copa del Rey history against each other - Barca having 25 crowns to Athletic's 23 - and is also a repeat of the 2009 final which the Catalan side won 4-1.

Whereas Barca have a fight on their hands to progress to the last eight, arch rivals Real Madrid have no such concerns as they chase a first cup success since 1993.

Jose Mourinho`s men trounced Levante 8-0 in the first leg, with Cristiano Ronaldo and Karim Benzema both netting hat-tricks, and that makes Thursday's return meeting academic.

The remaining six ties are all close however, with holders Sevilla looking in the strongest position following their 5-3 first leg win over Andalusian rivals Malaga at the Ramon Sanchez Pizjuan.

However, Malaga have been busy bolstering their squad over the winter break, bringing in Ignacio Camacho, Sergio Asenjo, Enzo Maresca, Martin Demichelis and Julio Baptista, and coach Manuel Pellegrini could decide to give some of them their debuts in the second leg.

Atletico Madrid, who lost to Sevilla in last year`s final, boast a 1-0 lead over Espanyol but the return match will be in Barcelona on Thursday, where Mauricio Pochettino`s men have won seven of eight league matches this season.

In the other matches, local rivals Villarreal and Valencia meet at El Madrigal locked at 0-0, Almeria travel to the Balearic Islands holding a 4-3 lead over Real Mallorca, while Getafe beat Segunda Division leaders Real Betis 2-1 away in their first meeting.

Cordoba, who along with Betis are the only remaining non-Primera Division teams, drew 1-1 at home with Deportivo La Coruna..

Messi: I thought I wouldn't win it

Barcelona wizard Lionel Messi admitted he did not expect to be crowned as the 2010 FIFA Ballon d'Or winner.

The Argentina international, who was nominated alongside Barcelona colleagues Xavi and Andres Iniesta for the prestigious gong, was stunned when Barca club manager Pep Guardiola announced his name at the ceremony in Zurich.

According to the club's official website, all Messi could mouth to the seated audience at the ceremony upon collecting his award was: "I didn't expect to win this"

After composing himself, the Nou Camp fans favourite was quick to pay tribute to the Spanish pair of Xavi and Iniesta, both of whom were thought to be favoured for the crown after their stellar performances saw Spain claim their maiden World Cup during the 2010 edition in South Africa.

Messi elaborated: "I want to dedicate this to all my teammates, because without them I wouldn't be here. It came to me, but Iniesta and Xavi also deserved it for all they've done".

The nippy playmaker also thanked those who voted for him along with the fervent support of the Barcelona and Argentine faithful and his family.

The duo of Xavi and Iniesta were the first to laud the achievements of their counterpart after the ceremony.

Xavi commented "He is one step above us all. He's the best player and there can be no argument. This is also a prize for the Barça youth team set up and I am proud to be a part of that".

Iniesta added: "He is a worthy and deserved winner".

Barca central defender Gerard Piqué declared that Messi "is the best" footballer on the planet right now.

He said: "We all have to enjoy this because it's something we have all won."

Striker David Villa chirped: ''He deserves it, but so did Xavi and Iniesta. They might still win it, they've still got a lot of football in them".

The FIFA Ballon d'Or was created following the merging of France Football magazine's European Footballer of the Year prize with the FIFA World Player of the Year gong.

As such, it is awarded based on votes cast by journalists from around the world and coaches and captains of national teams.

Messi was the holder of both titles and therefore joins former Brazil strikers Ronaldo and Rivaldo and France legend Zinedine Zidane as a multiple winner of the latter accolade.

Barca pair hail Messi award win

Barcelona duo Xavi and Andres Iniesta both lauded club-mate Lionel Messi after he won the FIFA Ballon d'Or.

Messi, 23, finished ahead of Xavi and Iniesta in the voting for the award, which was created following the merger of France Football magazine's Footballer of the Year prize with the FIFA World Player of the Year gong - Messi the holder of both titles.

Xavi, who along with Iniesta helped Spain win the World Cup in 2010, hailed Messi and felt the award is also a success for Barca's famous youth system, from which all three players in the shortlist graduated.

"He (Messi) is one step above us all. He's the best player and there can be no argument. This is also a prize for the Barca youth team set-up and I am proud to be a part of that," said Xavi.

When asked if he thought his chances of winning the award himself had now passed, the 30-year-old Xavi added: "We'll see what happens next year. My life wouldn't have changed if I'd won, and neither is it going to change by not winning. I'm going to continue working with the same hopes."

The 26-year-old Iniesta, who struck the winning goal in Spain's World Cup final win over Holland, said: "If the people have voted for Leo Messi it's because he deserves it and because he's a just winner.

"I'm not disappointed. To be here is already a prize, hopefully I can repeat it. We'll see what happens. The important thing is to do things well, because you can't control the other things.

"We were the three nominations, any of us could have won, but Leo has won and we need to congratulate him. We are very happy for him and for having been here."

Barcelona defender Gerard Pique, who was named in the World XI, added: "All three deserved to win it. It seems in the end that the people went for individual level and right now he (Messi) is a step above."

Lionel Messi Factfile

A closer look at the career of newly crowned Ballon d'Or winner, Lionel Messi.

1987: June 24 - Born Lionel Andres Messi in Rosario, Santa Fe, Argentina.

1995: Joins Newell's Old Boys.

1998: Diagnosed with a growth hormone deficiency at age of 11.

2000: Moves to Barcelona, aged 13.

2003: November 16 - Makes first-team debut in friendly at Porto at the age of 16.

2004: October 16 - Appears in first official Barca match, aged 17, in 1-0 derby win at Espanyol.

2005: May 1 - Becomes youngest player to score for Barcelona by netting against Albacete.

June - Helps Argentina to World Youth Championship triumph in Holland. Messi is competition's top scorer and is named player of the tournament.

August 17 - Makes full Argentina debut as second-half substitute in Hungary, only to be shown a red card within two minutes.

September - Granted EU passport by Spanish government.

2006: May - Helps Barca retain Primera Division title and win Champions League, although he misses out on Champions League final win over Arsenal in Paris due to injury.

June 16 - Becomes youngest player to represent Argentina at a World Cup with substitute appearance against Serbia & Montenegro. Also nets final goal in 6-0 win to become fifth youngest goalscorer in World Cup history.

2007: July - Named Young Player of the Tournament after helping Argentina to Copa America final, where they lose to Brazil.

December 2 - Finishes third behind Kaka and Cristiano Ronaldo in Ballon d'Or voting.

December 13 - Again misses out to Kaka, this time finishing second to the Brazilian in FIFA World Player of the Year poll.

2008: July 3 - Included in Argentina squad for Olympic Games in Beijing, prompting protracted dispute between the Argentinian federation and Barcelona, who want the player available for Champions League qualifiers.

August 7 - Barca announce they will allow Messi to remain with Argentina squad for the duration of the Olympics.

August 23 - Helps Argentina to gold with a 1-0 victory over Nigeria in the final in Beijing's Bird's Nest stadium.

December 2 - Finishes second behind Cristiano Ronaldo in Ballon d'Or voting.

2009: May 27 - Scores second goal as Barcelona beat Manchester United 2-0 to win Champions League final in Rome. Also helps Barca win the Primera Division and Copa del Rey titles in an unprecedented treble.

October 14: Helps Argentina reach the World Cup finals with 1-0 win in Uruguay.

December 1: Wins Ballon d'Or.

2010: April 6 - Scores four as Barcelona knock Arsenal out of the Champions League.

May - Equals Ronaldo's club record of 34 goals in a league season as Barca win the Primera Division title again.

June - Plays every game as Argentina reach quarter-finals of the World Cup before being knocked out by Germany.

November 20 - His second hat-trick of the season in Barca's 8-0 win over Almeria takes him to 100 goals in La Liga.

2011: January 10 - Wins FIFA Ballon d'Or.

Mourinho: Messi undeserving of award

HOW TRUE!

Real Madrid coach Jose Mourinho would not have chosen Lionel Messi as the winner of the 2010 FIFA Ballon d'Or award.

The Argentinean beat his Barcelona team-mates Xavi and Andres Iniesta to win the award, which was based on votes cast by journalists from around the world and coaches and captains of national teams.

But Mourinho, who landed the Coach of the Year ahead of World Cup-winning Spain boss Vicente del Bosque and Barcelona's Pep Guardiola, believes there are players more deserving of the award ahead of Messi.

"I have already spoken on this issue. For me, Xavi, Iniesta and Messi are players from another planet," the Portuguese told Spanish daily AS.

"However, I would prefer Xavi, [Wesley] Sneijder or Diego Milito [had won the award]. First of all I would have prefered Milito and Sneijder if you take each game that they performed in for Inter.

"As for Xavi, it will hurt as well. I have known him a long time and I am very appreciative of him," Mourinho said.

Meanwhile, Messi became only the second player to win the award - the other being Ronaldinho.

Alves: Messi proved he is the best

Barcelona's Dani Alves believes Lionel Messi has proved he was the rightful FIFA Ballon d'Or winner after his hat-trick against Real Betis.

Messi on Monday become the inaugural winner of the award, pipping club-mates Andres Iniesta and Xavi in the voting.

Messi scored an astonishing 60 goals for club and country in 2010, but Iniesta and Xavi both had strong claims to win the award themselves having also had excellent years capped by winning the World Cup with Spain - something Argentinian Messi did not have on his CV.

Nevertheless, Alves feels Messi proved exactly why he is officially the world's top player with his treble in last night's 5-0 Copa quarter-final first-leg triumph over Betis.

"Messi is different to the rest. I think in this game Messi has settled any debate or controversy about the Ballon d'Or. The best player has won it. He shows every day that he is the best. The others also deserved it, but the best player has won it," said Alves.

Alves also played down his on-pitch row with team-mate Gerard Pique during the win over Betis, saying: "Pique and I have resolved it. It was something in the heat of the moment, but in the end it's nothing."

Regarding the Copa del Rey win over Betis, which all but assured Barca of a place in the semi-finals and equalled the club record for going unbeaten (27 games), the Brazilian added: "We had the advantage of playing the first game at home and we've achieved our objective.

"But we have the return match to come and we must respect our opponents, even though we have a good lead. Betis played well here, especially in the first half. They made things difficult for us."

• 2 weeks later...