Bellazon

Lionel Messi
Thumbnail

Natz

Moratti: I'm serious on signing Messi

Inter president Massimo Moratti insists he is serious about signing Lionel Messi from Barcelona.

Inter Milan owner Massimo Moratti has claimed he could hold talks with Barcelona over the availability of Lionel Messi.

Messi is considered one of the best footballers on the planet having won numerous personal accolades including the Ballon d'Or in 2009.

The Argentina international has also played a key role in helping Barca lift four Spanish titles and the UEFA Champions League on two occasions.

Moratti is keen for Inter to add a world-class player to their squad, and has hinted the club may target Messi.

He told La Gazzetta dello Sport: "(Lionel) Messi? Everyone asks me to buy a strong player. He is the strongest of all. So I'm starting to ask me the question.

"And I still have not answered neither 'yes' nor 'no'. On Sunday, I jokingly said that I would bring Messi to Inter.

"But we could only really talk about it with Barcelona. Let's see what happens in the coming days."

However, Moratti ruled out an approach for Real Madrid's Kaka, who moved to Spain from Inter's rivals AC Milan.

He added: "Kaka is a Real Madrid player and we were never interested in him."

"Inter will try to sign Lionel Messi"

Inter president Massimo Moratti has said he will try to sign Lionel Messi from Barcelona, which has been deemed a joke.

The controversial president has recently been questioned over the possible signings that could take place at San Siro during the January transfer window.

And the 65-year-old's answer shocked even the most fervent of Inter fans.

He was quoted in the La Gazzetta dello Sport as saying: "We will see if I can bring Messi..."

The publication has considered his comments a casual joke considering the herculean effort needed to sign the Argentinean ace, who has a €250 million buy-out clause hung on his head.

Despite brushing away his words, Moratti did admit previously that if he were to ever make a 'super signing', it would be Messi.

On a more serious note, the report has linked Inter with a number of players in Spain such as Real Madrid maestro Xabi Alonso and Atletico Madrid hitman Diego Forlan.

• 3 weeks later...

Barcelona vs Villarreal Preview

Barcelona's Sergio Busquets is ready to fill in at the back in the absence of Gerard Pique and Gabi Milito against Villarreal.

Pique is suspended following his red card against Getafe last weekend, while Milito misses out as well after picking up an injury in the 5-1 win over Segunda Division B side Ceuta in the Copa del Rey on Wednesday night.

That leaves captain Carles Puyol as the club's only recognised central defender available for the game against in-form Villarreal.

Barca coach Pep Guardiola had a wealth of options in that position last year, but defenders Rafa Marquez and Dmytro Chygrynskiy moved on in the summer, along with midfielder Yaya Toure, who often filled in at the back when others were unavailable.

Guardiola may decide to switch full-back Eric Abidal to a central position tomorrow to start alongside Puyol but Busquets is prepared to drop back into the defence for the good of the team.

"My position is defensive midfield, but if I had to play as a central defender, I would," he said.

"I would have things to improve on, because it's not my natural position, but I could play as a centre-back."

If Busquets is used at the back, Argentina midfielder Javier Mascherano will start in the holding role.

Barcelona face a key clash at home to fierce rivals Real Madrid at the end of this month, but Busquets says the Catalans are focused solely on Villarreal for now.

"There are some very important matches before we play Madrid," he said.

"For us, the most important game is this Saturday against Villarreal - they are a great team and we hope to win the three points to open up a gap ahead of them in the table."

After 10 rounds of Primera Division matches, Barca lie in second with 25 points, one behind leaders Madrid and two ahead of third-placed Villarreal.

Villarreal have won seven out of their first 10 league matches and lost just once so far in the league this season.

That defeat came on the opening weekend, meaning the Yellow Submarine are unbeaten in nine rounds of Primera Division matches.

And striker Nilmar hopes his side can prove they are able to compete at the very top by securing a positive result at the Nou Camp.

"We are going to try and make sure Madrid and Barca don't escape," he said.

"These matches against one of the best teams in the world are the ones that every player wants to be involved in.

"We are going there to win the three points because we want to stay up at the top of the table.

"And if we do things well, people will recognise our work."

Villarreal advanced to the last 16 of the Copa del Rey on Wednesday with a 2-0 win over Poli Ejido.

Veteran midfielder Marcos Senna missed that match through injury and is doubtful for the Nou Camp clash.

Messi nominated for Puskas Award

Lionel Messi headlines a cast of players nominated by FIFA for the prestigious Puskas Award - or goal of the year.

The award goes to the scorer of the goal of the year and this year there are ten nominations which include Hamit Altintop, Arjen Robben, Giovani van Bronckhorst, Kumi Yokohama, Linus Hallenius, Samir Nasri, Neymar, Siphiwe Tshabalala and Matthew Burrows.

Messi's goal nomination came from his effort against Valencia during the 2009/10 season. It was one of three goals he scored in the match, and was memorable for the way he beat three players before slotting the ball past Cesar in the Valencia goal.

Cristiano Ronaldo was the inaugural winner of the last award which was created in honour of Ferenc Puskas, who was captain and star of the Hungarian national team during the 1950s.

The next recipient of the Puskas Award will be announced during the FIFA Ballon d'Or gala on January 10 next year.

Messi: We will beat Real in El-Clasico

Lionel Messi believes that Barcelona are favourites ahead of their El-Clasico clash with Real Madrid in two weeks.

In his second part interview with fifa.com, Messi hinted that their fiercest rivals have progressed from last season but hinted that Barca's superior playing style and rhythm will stand them in good stead ahead of their eagerly anticipated encounter.

He elaborated: "I think that Real Madrid are stronger than last season, but the same thing happens every year - they are our main rivals.

"Last year they pushed us up until the final matchday. They've kept nearly all of their important players, but I think the key is the mental change since Jose Mourinho arrived.

"They are still a really great team, but you can see that they've got a greater winning mentality right from the off.

"El Clasico will be a huge game, it always is. I tend to do well in these games. I suppose that they will be really fired up, but I think if we play the way that we are capable of, we will definitely beat them this time too.

"They might have strengthened, but in my opinion Barcelona are still the better side. I have no doubt it will be a game to savour both for the players on the pitch and the fans off it."

The World Player of the Year also likened new strike partner David Villa to that of former sharpshooter Samuel Eto'o, adding: : "Villa reminds me of Samuel in terms of his movement, the way he looks for space and always knows where the goal is. He's a really hard worker.

"Both of them put their bodies on the line to snap up every opportunity that comes their way. With every passing game our mutual understanding grows and the way we play means that we have gelled very well."

The maiden El-Clasico encounter this season takes place at the Camp Nou on November 29.

Messi heaps praise on Pastore

Barcelona ace Lionel Messi has heaped praise on Palermo striker Javier Pastore after his hat-trick against Catania on Saturday.

The 21-year-old has scored in almost every other game for the Italian club this season including his treble on Saturday.

And Messi, who is Pastore's Argentina national team-mate, was quick to praise his compatriot's qualities.

"You can see he is tough, he's physically fit and he's going to go far, I am convinced of it," Messi told FIFA.com.

"He has come on leaps and bounds at Palermo, I didn't know much about him when he played for Huracan but I got to see his quality at the World Cup.

"We played alongside each other against Japan and we struck up a good understanding."

Pastore has been recently linked with a move to join Messi at Barcelona but has decided to pledge his future to the club.

However, he did urged Messi to join him at Palermo, though it is believed to be a joke.

Argentina vs Brazil Preview

Ronaldinho is relishing his return to the Brazil team for Wednesday's friendly against Argentina in Doha after his international recall.

The AC Milan forward has been absent from the national team for 19 months, falling out of favour and missing the World Cup.

He hopes to have done enough this week to win a place in coach Mano Menezes' starting line-up, having not appeared for his country since April 1, 2009, when Brazil claimed a 3-0 World Cup qualifying win over Peru.

The former Barcelona player said: "This is a very different moment for all that has happened, for not having played the World Cup.

"When I was taken out, it was a sad moment. Now, happiness has been doubled if I compare it with the first time."

He returns for the clash at the Khalifa International Stadium as one of the most experienced men in the squad.

Gremio's Douglas has been called up for the first time at the age of 28, and Inter Milan's Philippe Coutinho is only 18 years old.

Although a friendly, Brazil defender Thiago Silva believes the match is the most important test since Menezes was appointed as coach in the summer.

Brazil have beaten the United States, Iran and Ukraine without conceding a goal under Menezes, but Silva said: "Playing Argentina is special, not only because of the talent both teams have but also because of rivalry.

"We played the United States as visitors and it was a good test for us. We also played Ukraine in Europe, but this is a big challenge. Anxiety is bigger and I'm sure they are feeling the same."

Argentina midfielder Javier Pastore scored a hat-trick for Palermo in their 3-0 Serie A win over Catania on Sunday.

He told the Clarin newspaper: "We should take this match as a derby, but it is no more than a friendly match. We have to use it to come to conclusions and learn things ahead of the Copa America."

Argentina star man Lionel Messi is still waiting to finish on the winning side against Brazil in a full international, but helped the under-23 team beat their great rivals 3-0 at the 2008 Olympics in Beijing.

Messi told FIFA.com: "I've never beaten Brazil with Argentina's senior side, including that defeat in the Copa America final in Venezuela (three years ago). I think it's about time I broke my duck!"

Due to injuries, a number of players will miss the friendly: Argentina's Carlos Tevez, Diego Milito, Sergio Aguero, Walter Samuel and Gabriel Milito, and Brazil's Alexandre Pato and Rafael.

Argentina 1-0 Brazil

Lionel Messi struck a superb stoppage-time winner to give Argentina their first victory over Brazil since June 2005.

Brazil, looking to build on promising early results under their new coach Mano Menezes, were the strongest side for most of the match which was staged in Qatar, but they could not stop Barcelona superstar Messi from pinching the late glory.

Messi collected Ezequiel Lavezzi's clever flicked pass before slaloming past four defenders and stroking the ball home into the bottom right corner of the net.

Brazil had the best chances of the first half, with Ronaldinho prominent on his first international appearance in 19 months, back in favour after a spell out of the team.

He linked up well with Robinho and Neymar and only a fine performance from Argentina goalkeeper Sergio Romero prevented them from opening the scoring.

Andre Santos had the first chance, shooting wide after a free-kick from Ronaldinho. A couple minutes later and AC Milan playmaker Ronaldinho played in Neymar, but Romero dealt with the danger.

In the 18th minute, a shot by Dani Alves came back off the crossbar, after a good combination with David Luiz inside the box.

Two minutes later Benfica central defender Luiz headed wide.

Ronaldinho continued to threaten, and a free-kick by Robinho forced Romero into another save.

Argentina had only a couple of long-distance shots, one by Javier Zanetti and one by Messi.

Brazil began the second half brightly and a couple of free-kicks from Ronaldinho threatened to bring about the game's opening goal.

Argentina slowly improved, and Lavezzi's introduction off the bench in place of Gonzalo Higuain improved their attack, with the substitute causing trouble down the right.

Ronaldinho and Neymar were substituted with 15 minutes remaining, with a goalless stalemate apparently looming.

However Messi had other ideas and with the 90 minutes up he played a sharp one-two with Lavezzi before surging forward from midfield, snaking through the Brazil defence before planting his shot clinically into the net.

• 3 weeks later...

Messi scare for Barcelona

Barcelona have confirmed Lionel Messi sat out training due to a thigh problem - but he is expected to be available against Osasuna.

The Argentina forward was the only big name absent from the session as compatriot Gabriel Milito returned to training three weeks after suffering an injury in the Copa Del Rey win over Ceuta.

The defender trained separately from the rest of the squad, but Messi remained in the treatment room as medical staff attended to what Barca describe as "a minor strain".

The 23-year-old missed two matches earlier in the season due to an ankle injury after being caught late by Tomas Ujfalusi towards the end of the 2-1 win away to Atletico Madrid on September 19.

Barca will train again tomorrow morning before travelling to Pamplona for the game.

Messi heading to the Emirates

Argentina will meet Portugal in a friendly in London early next year.

The match will take place at the Emirates Stadium, the home of Arsenal, on February 9, the Argentina football federation (AFA) have announced.

The last time the two countries played each other was back in 1972 when Portugal beat Argentina 3-1 in Rio de Janeiro.

Since this summer`s World Cup, both nations have recorded big friendly wins over world champions Spain, with Argentina beating Vicente del Bosque`s men 4-1 in Buenos Aires in September while Portugal were 4-0 victors in Lisbon last month.

The AFA also confirmed away friendlies in March against the United States and Costa Rica.

• 2 weeks later...

Messi: It's not as easy as it looks

Barca forward Lionel Messi said the Catalan side are making things easier than they look after their 5-0 win over Real Sociedad.

Barca have now won their last two Primera Division matches at home by that scoreline - having impressively dispatched fierce rivals Real Madrid here two weeks ago - and have dropped only five points in the league all season.

The Catalans also recently thrashed Almeria 8-0 away from home and beat Osasuna 3-0 in Pamplona last weekend, despite undergoing a stressful journey to reach the game on time following an air controller's strike.

"It looks easy, but it isn't," the Argentina forward told Canal+ after the game.

"It was hard for us, especially in the first half, when they closed up at the back."

Nevertheless, it took Barca just eight minutes to go ahead, with David Villa opening the scoring with a simple finish after Messi himself had freed Pedro on the right.

Andres Iniesta added a second after 32 minutes to make it 2-0 at the break, before Messi added a second half brace to take his tally in the league to 17 in just 15 games.

The 23-year-old also hit the post late on before substitute Bojan Krkic made it 5-0 a minute from time.

"The truth is things are turning out well for us and we are playing at a great level," Messi said.

Messi is in the running to win this year's Golden Ball, along with Barca team-mates Iniesta and Xavi, who have also made the final shortlist of three.

"The important thing is that the three of us are there," Messi said.

"It is great that three Barcelona players are there."

Barca have now scored 26 goals and let in none in their last six matches - four in the Primera Division and two in the Champions League.

And Barca coach Pep Guardiola says it is a privilege to be in charge of such an impressive team.

"We have to be aware of what this team is achieving," he said after the match.

"It is a privilege to be living this. I am sure we can get even better, but we can't get any more effort from the players - they all play for each other."

Guardiola won a treble of Primera Division, Champions League and Copa del Rey in his first season in charge, before retaining the league last term.

But the Barca boss believes the football his side are currently playing is the best since he has been in charge at the club.

"This year is the best we have played," he said.

"Also because the players have had more time together.

"I admire these players because they are continually producing and I know that the crowd are going away saying: 'we've had a good time'."

Barcelona still lead Madrid by two points in the title race, with Jose Mourinho's side earlier beating bottom side Zaragoza 3-1 at La Romareda.

Barcelona 5-0 Real Sociedad

Lionel Messi struck twice as Barcelona cruised to an impressive 5-0 win over Real Sociedad at the Nou Camp on Sunday.

David Villa kept up his good scoring record against Real as he netted his seventh goal in nine games against the Basques with only eight minutes on the clock.

Andres Iniesta made it two 13 minutes before the break, Messi struck at either end of the second half and substitute Bojan Krkic made it five at the death.

Barca, who beat fierce rivals Real Madrid 5-0 in their last league match at the Nou Camp, effortlessly matched that result with an easy victory which keeps Pep Guardiola's side at the top of the Primera Division table after 15 rounds of matches.

For the visit of Real, Guardiola decided to rest defender Gerard Pique, with full-back Eric Abidal switching to a central defensive role alongside captain Carles Puyol.

But the duo were rarely troubled in a one-sided first half, which saw Barca open the scoring with their first meaningful attack.

Lionel Messi's defence-splitting pass found Pedro in an advanced position on the right and the Tenerife-born winger squared with a low centre to give Villa a simple finish from three years at the far post.

Pedro should have made it two in Barca's very next attack, but was just off target following a neat Dani Alves cross.

The Catalans, with Javier Mascherano - handed a rare start ahead of Sergio Busquets in the holding role - flanked by Xavi and Iniesta in midfield, were looking efficient in their dominance and the latter made it 2-0 after 32 minutes.

The midfielder finished off a wonderful team move by playing a lovely one-two with Pedro on the edge of the box and continuing his run to beat Real keeper Claudio Bravo with a low, angled finish at the near post.

Messi came close to goal himself six minutes before the break, but did make the scoresheet as soon as the second half got underway.

The Argentina winger played a one-two with Alves in the Real area and fired a low shot through Bravo's legs to make it 3-0 with almost half of the match still remaining.

Guardiola rang the changes after that, with Bojan, Seydou Keita and Busquets replacing Xavi, Pedro and Mascherano.

But Messi, as usual, was the main man and the 23-year-old struck the post after a superb run with 12 minutes left.

And eight minutes later, he made it four.

This time, Messi played a one-two with Bojan and waltzed past four Real defenders before sliding an angled shot past Bravo with his left foot.

It was a trademark Messi goal and Real were surely longing for the final whistle at this stage.

But there was more punishment to come for the Basques as Bojan made it 5-0 with a minute left after his initial effort had been saved by Bravo.

With 15 rounds of the Primera Division now completed, there is no change at the top as Barca still lead Madrid by two points.

Moratti: I'm serious on signing Messi

Inter president Massimo Moratti insists he is serious about signing Lionel Messi from Barcelona.

Inter Milan owner Massimo Moratti has claimed he could hold talks with Barcelona over the availability of Lionel Messi.

Messi is considered one of the best footballers on the planet having won numerous personal accolades including the Ballon d'Or in 2009.

The Argentina international has also played a key role in helping Barca lift four Spanish titles and the UEFA Champions League on two occasions.

Moratti is keen for Inter to add a world-class player to their squad, and has hinted the club may target Messi.

He told La Gazzetta dello Sport: "(Lionel) Messi? Everyone asks me to buy a strong player. He is the strongest of all. So I'm starting to ask me the question.

"And I still have not answered neither 'yes' nor 'no'. On Sunday, I jokingly said that I would bring Messi to Inter.

"But we could only really talk about it with Barcelona. Let's see what happens in the coming days."

However, Moratti ruled out an approach for Real Madrid's Kaka, who moved to Spain from Inter's rivals AC Milan.

He added: "Kaka is a Real Madrid player and we were never interested in him."

Yes, sign Messi, take him away from Spain :laugh:

Messi: Moratti is a good person

Reigning World Player Of The Year Lionel Messi has showered praise on Inter Milan president Massimo Moratti.

The Barcelona wizard, who was in Milan in conjunction with an event organized by Dolce & Gabbana, gave his take on newspapers linking him to the European champions.

"At the moment I'm not thinking about Inter," the 23-year-old stated to Sky Sport 24.

"Moratti? I like his compliments - he is a great president and a very good person."

It has been an open secret that Inter patron Moratti views Messi as his fantasy signing but the player himself has stopped short of speculating on any possible switch to Italy.