Bellazon

Food

Joe > Average

Experiment #1:  modified version of this:

https://www.breadworld.com/recipe/Vanilla-Spice-Bread

But with 4 teaspoons cinnamon substituted for the spice, no salt, water instead of milk, vanilla pudding powder instead of granulated sugar.  All-purpose or  bread flour?  I might experiment to see if all-purpose can hold all this structure.

Maybe I'll add 2-3 eggs.

Experiment 1 # used all-purpose flour, basic white loaf with new yeast.  Not an ideal loaf.  The dough rose and feel, leaving a crater in the center and too much density.  Still edible though, however it is flavorless.  Either the flour wasn't good enough or the new, fresh yeast was too powerful. 

For the next plain white bread I should use a very low amount of salt for some flavor, maybe 1/2 teaspoon or a pinch

Experiment 2 , vanilla cinnamon raisin bread with egg, 1.5 lb loaf.  This recipe is a combination of several, adjusted for the loaf size

-1 1/4 cups water

- 3 1/4 cups  Bread flour

-1 1/2 tablespoon Dry milk

- 2 eggs

- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract

- 1/4th cup dark Brown sugar

- 2 tablespoons vanilla pudding powder

- 4 teaspoons cinnamon

- 2 tablespoons butter

- 1 cup raisons (ADD IN)

- 1 1/2 teaspoons normal yeast

review on my bread :

DSC00692.JPG

looks like this.  

The recipe stands EXCEPT for the vanilla.  The vanilla extract and vanilla pudding interrupts the flavor of the bread. I would never use it again.  Otherwise it was good flavored bread, fairly rich and moist in texture.  The cinnamon may been too strong, as well.  The brown sugar flavor could have been stronger.  The 1 cup of raisins turned out to be not all that much in practice.  The raisins are decently present but only complement rather than dominate the flavor.  I think a true raisin bread would require twice or more raisins.  

However, the integrity of the bread wasn't perfect.  It rose quite well however there were some big air pockets in the rear.  This may have been due to the heavy weight of the ingredients used- perhaps a better recipe would lightened the load for the yeast.

I bought Nestle Toll House dark chocolate (55%) morsels for the first time at a wholesaler today and feel silly for not finding this out earlier- this chocolate, which is 17 cents an ounce, tastes exactly the same as $1 an ounce stuff!  (eg. Lindt, etc.)1.jpg

I just did pan seared BBQ pork chops.  looked like this:

20100715-pork-chop-sous-vide.jpg

Very simple, I spent minimal time on them.  Rubbed the meat with garlic powder/ dash of pepper/ seasoned salt with paprika/ dried hot spices and then drenched them in BBQ sauce for a few hours.  

pan seared both sides 5 minutes with oil and mixed water with BBQ sauce and broiled the pork chops in the soup for 15 minutes until caramelized.  Pork chops came out with very bold, spicy BBQ flavor.  Success!

poelee-de-crevettes-curry-coco.jpeg

• 600g Shrimps
  • 1 Ognon
  • 2 Tomatoes
  • 2 garlic cloves
  • Ginger & pepper + Piment de cayenne
  • 1 teaspoon of Curry
  • 20cl Coconut milk
  • 10cl liquid cream
  • 1 lime
  • 1 bunch coriander
  • 2 tablespoon of olive oil

Serve it with rice. The result = :heart:

going to do another simple crumb cake for Father's Day:

2 x yellow cake + 2 cup water, 8 eggs + sour cream + heavy cream + 2.5 oz. vanilla pudding

Crumb topping:  1 1/2  cup dark brown sugar + 3/4 cup granulated sugar + 3 Tablespoon cinnamon + 1 cup butter + 1/2 cup vegetable oil +  3 3/4 cup all-purpose flour

Modified Crumb topping:  1 1/4th  cup dark brown sugar + 1/2 cup granulated sugar + 3 Tablespoon cinnamon + 1 cup butter + 1/2 cup vegetable oil + 4 1/4 cup all-purpose flour

19 hours ago, CandleVixen said:

What is the sauce? 

https://www.google.com/search?q=unagi+sauce&oq=unagi+sauce&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l7.3175j1j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

It is a thick, mostly sweet brown sauce based on soy sauce.  The ones I have come already marinated with the sauce, and are typically sold to restaurants.  

I fed the crumb cake and overall got a good reception for it.  People really enjoyed it.  The positives of the cake were that it was custardy- and super rich/moist with faint sweetness.  

This was surprising to me as I felt that the cake wasn't very good.  Visually it looked good- the crumbs sank to the bottom and I powdered the top of the cake with confectionery sugar.  It was shaped as a square as I baked it in a tray usually used for turkeys.   However:

- The custardy nature of the cake was good around the edges.  In the center, it was more gooy than custardy.

-I felt that the quality of the brown sugar was inadequate.  I used good quality, large crystal brown sugar in the last cake and used low quality, small crystal in this one.

-The flavor of the brown sugar seems to have seeped into the yellow cake, giving- to me- that inadequate quality of flavor.  

-The vanilla flavor was present but not very good.  It seems to be a combination of the pudding powder and whatever was present in the cake mix plus the large quantity of sour cream and heavy cream that I used.  The smell of the cake was also strongly effected by the cream- ended up not smelling very good.

-With the crumbs they ended up being not sweet enough.  I adulterated them too much with all-purpose flour.

I think overall, the method of having a thick two-layer crumb cake (with crumbs on the bottom) produces a less interesting cake.  In the future I will make the yellow cake much thinner and on longer trays.  Sweeter crumbs, too.  Less vanilla in the actual cake itself.