Bellazon

Food

Joe > Average

So, "pain perdu" is called "French Toast" in English... Originally, it was made to reuse rotten bread ("Pain perdu" means "lost bread").

Anyway, I really like it and it's even better with rotten bread (because of the fungus taste :laugh:)

break_01495_t_horiz.jpg?itok=MCyCnV30

On 4/14/2018 at 6:51 AM, Enrico_sw said:

@Cult Icon Some of the best sushi I had were sushi (or maki) with foie gras, like these:

california-french-touch.png7da38b3927sushi.jpg

Never had that.  There seems to be two polar opposites of sushi: the mad scientist/flavor explosion and the traditional type that focuses on execution and ingredient quality.

The documentary and the top rated sushi experiences are from the traditional type as far as I can tell.  I've never had it.  I just watched the youtube documentary clips and I feel like they play up the process for dramatic purposes.

The best sushi experience I had was an 13 course meal in Taipei.  We had a tea ceremony as well, and our own private room where we sat on mats.  A japanese woman in a kimino served small amounts in timed intervals.  Most of the sushi was of the 'flavor explosion' type.  It ended with freshly made mochi and green tea ice cream.

Personally I have made 'hot' sushi (egg and spam) and have bought various sashimi and just gorged on that.  I use Japanese rice and keep a sack handy.

Fried sailfish is amazing BTW.  I bought a dozen a few weeks ago:

http://www.idealez.com/wanwen/product-detail/en_US/39165

This brand is my favorite. It goes well with just about anything as a meal and is a very good and highly addictive (high protein/high fat) snack.  The sailfish fat flavor is so, so good.

b20170731133637745645.jpg407deb36daca54dcec1e268ff7c04326-600x400

2 hours ago, Enrico_sw said:

I'm not surprised! It looks like industrial food, even the pictures are yucky :yucky:

We weren't expecting much but hoping that it was at least as good as a typical supermarket or deli hot food isle- wow were we wrong.  I would think that a big corporate chain would have some sort of standardized quality control but they sourced the lowest quality, cheapest ingredients I've ever seen outside of those shady chinese buffets staffed by illegals.   The food selection , although large was a complete mess in terms of quality-- The only things I liked were the bacon and fresh sausages (since they didn't make it themselves).  

Come to think of it, I think "Golden Corral" probably uses the same vendors as those who supply prisons and school luncheons with foods that are too poor to sell in retail.

I really like Steak With Chimichurri.  I try to order it when I can.

I had pan-seared salmon with perogies for dinner today.

the reviews for Jiro's are very intriguing (many of the customers went after watching the documentary).  

"The location is inconspicuous, the service is underwhelming, but upon tasting the food you quickly realize that such apparent failings are (to the discerned observer) intentional. Jiro wants nothing to distract from the experience of his food. No flair, no theatrics, just sushi."

"We had 20 pieces of sushi, that's $22.50/piece and we ate sushi for 45 minutes, that's $10/minute; how many places in the world can command that"

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g1066451-d1177368-r141299984-Sukiyabashi_Jiro_Roppongi_Hills-Minato_Tokyo_Tokyo_Prefecture_Kanto.html

A key element is ingredient selection; the documentary does not sufficiently cover this (state secret apparently?)

I found a similar place in New York, although not so elitist:

https://www.google.com/search?q=Sushi+Yasuda&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj89Zmgy7_aAhWPjlkKHcTrAZUQ_AUICygC&biw=1097&bih=542#imgrc=iBOVtXPmY8EMgM:

ls.jpg16REST-jumbo.jpg348s.jpg

This is another dessert that I really like.  these are meant to be paired up with tea.  I have several in my freezer:

Manju Steamed Cake with 5 Flavors - Matcha, Chestnut, Milk, Sweet Red Beans & White Kidney Beans and Soba) 

https://www.amazon.com/Marukyo/b/ref=bl_dp_s_web_8443368011?ie=UTF8&node=8443368011&field-lbr_brands_browse-bin=Marukyo

61PzGz7YnRL._SX355_.jpgmarukyo-japanese-sweets-manju-steamed-ca

•