Bellazon

Death Metal

MeTalHeD

Rammstein are industrial. They're a very good industrial band, but the best industrial I've heard probably domes from a band called Strapping Young Lad. God, Devin Townsend has an amazing vocal range!

SYL also mix in a bit of grind and thrash, so they're brutal at times.

Oh, and DEP is math metal. I haven't heard them before, but I heard my friends calling them math metal. They're also known for their abilities in Grindcore...

That's what really gets me now...everything is classified. I remember when the only styles of metal were speed, thrash, death, black, and grindcore. Now this genre has nu-metal, which honestly to me isn't metal. And math metal. I remember a time when it wasn't called that, it was just known as metal. Hell, some Mayhem songs could be classified as math metal. But that's just my two pennies. *shrugs*

• 2 weeks later...

True, but the genres are there to describe what it sounds like. I mean, people would consider grind to be pure noise, when it's carefully coordinated. Noisecore is actually a music style though.

And nu-metal isn't so much of a problem as the incentive for starting a band is. A pop band will sell millions if they continue on the typical "we're trying to be harcore with soft music" style they do. You don't need much skill to start a punk band, for example, and the irony is that you'll sell big time.

I like bands like Korn and SlipKnoT. Korn's my favourite nu-metal band and Bloodbath is my favourite Death Metal band. Just because a band is soft doesn't mean they're not skilled. However, I do agree that Linkin Park should be reclassified as rock. They're not metal at all...perhaps a few tracks are, but overall, they're nowhere near the heaviness of Korn.

Ahh! Well, with Korn...to me, their first album was metal. After that, with their last album..they sounded more rock. Slipknot, to me, is totally metal. Most of the members were in death metal bands before being in Slipknot. Which I find totally kick ass. Anyways, where did the categorization of math metal come from? I mean, who named it "math metal?"

Tech (or math) metal is a subgenre of heavy metal. It is characterized by a show of skill, changeable time signatures, and often dissonant or atonal guitar riffs. Death metal and grindcore elements are often found in tech metal. Some bands employ elements of jazz into their music, such as dynamic time signatures, guitar solos, and drumming patterns.

• 4 weeks later...

I will include Prog-Death and Melo Death:

-Arch Enemy

-At The Gates

-Bloodbath

-Celtic Frost (They're more Black metal, but oh well)

-Dark Tranquillity

-Death

-In Flames

-Morbid Angel

-Opeth (Favorite band ATM)

-Soilwork

-Slayer (They're technically Thrash metal, but they've influenced Death more than Thrash)

That's about it for my Death list. I have a lot of Thrash metal though.

Children Of Bodom

Children of Bodom is more Thrash/Power Metal. Laiho's riffs aren't Death metal nor do they fall into Melo-Death. Plus their keyboard usage is more like Power metal (Although keyboards are not exclusive to power metal, they way they are used in CoB is). The only thing remotely Death about them is Laiho's usage of the Death Vox. They're a pretty good band.

• 3 weeks later...

When they add jazz you usually get something like Dream Theater. The one death metal band I know that has jazz influences is Bloodbath. They use a riff in Stillborn Saviour and in Soul Evisceration (later in both tracks) that slow down and have small jazz riffs in them.

In my opinion, Bloodbath are the best Death Metal band to date. But if it wasn't for Cryptopsy, Bloodbath wouldn't exist. therefore Cryptopsy's album None So Vile is Bloodbath's main influence even if they're not as brutal as Cryptopsy.

• 3 months later...

Death metal and similar to death metal bands:

Behemoth (Blackended death metal)

Belphegor (Black Metal, but I like them)

Bolt Thrower

Carcass

Cannibal Corpse

Carpathian Forest

Celtic Frost

Children Of Bodom

Cryptopsy (Hard thing :)

Death

Decapitated

Esquarial (Great progressive death metal from Legnica in Poland)

Entombed

Forsaken (Rather black...)

God Dethroned

Hypocrisy

In Aeternum (Black, but very good)

Krabathor

Kreator (Thrash/Death)

Krisiun (One of my favs :)

Morbid Angel (Also one of my favs...)

Nile (My fav!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Obituary

Opeth

Obscene Eulogy (Rather black...)

Reinfection (Hard thing from Poland...)

Rotting Christ (One of my fav, although is rather black...)

Septic Flesh

Sentenced

Severe Torture (Another hard thing...)

Vader

Vital Remains

Vomit Remnants

Vomitorial Corpulence (Very hard thing :)

Vomitory

and of course other metal bands like: Slayer, Megadeth, Venom, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Jag Panzer, Cradle Of Filth, Mayhem, Torture, Nightwish, Testament, Sepultura, Brujeria and many more...

They're a very good industrial band, but the best industrial I've heard probably domes from a band called Strapping Young Lad. God, Devin Townsend has an amazing vocal range!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i saw them live with fear factory 1 week ago \m/

FUCKING KICKED SO MUCH ASS OMGLAKJFDSAF