Bellazon

PLEASE DON'T HURT WOMEN!!

worshipper pa

Corporal punishment is not the same as "beating kids"... let's not twist to enflame.

Pa is saying that there should be absolutely no violence against women though whilst advocating corporal punishment fo children (which is practiced to various degrees in different households). he is still advocating violence against one sector of society whislt saying that another sector of society should be sheltered from the violence. surely equality in society would be a better approach rather than licensing violence against certain individuals.

i am not "twisting to inflame" . . . i am just pointing out the inconsistencies in Pa's argument in this case.

i am not "twisting to inflame" . . . i am just pointing out the inconsistencies in Pa's argument in this case.

Corporal punishment and violence against women are two totally different things. The former is about parents loving their children hence punishing them so they become "good people". The latter is disgusting disrespect toward another person.

So much for the inconsistencies. Why do you Barry question EVERYTHING I say?? Give me a break! <_<

Corporal punishment and violence against women and two totally different things. The former is about parents loving their children hence punishing them so they become "good people". The latter is disgusting disrespect toward another person.

So much for the inconsistencies. Why do you Barry question EVERYTHING I say?? Give me a break! <_<

corporal punishment involves violence against children either in the form of smackings or beatings, varying dependent on household. what's the difference? . . . there is an inconsistency because you are advocating a baseline level of violence against children, the most vulnerable and impressionable members of our societies. explain why it is alright to be violent to children but not women (i am in no way advocating violence against women. i am merely acting as a devil's advocate). surely all members of society should have the same rights, right? :idk: so no violence against women should mean no violence against men and subsequently no violence against children, correct?

i don't question everything you say. and what's wrong with asking questions anyway? (as Voltaire said: "judge a man by his questions not by his answers") i only question stuff which is moronic or nonsensical in my eyes. i treat you no different from how i would treat other people who made such statements. if you posted in a semi-sane and semi-reasonable manner then i would probably not be analyzing your statements in such a fashion . . .

the paranoia sets in . . . :laugh:

Barry, parents don't hit their children hard, men do hit women very hard.

some parents do hit their children very hard. some men hit their wives/girlfriends very hard.

why allow any hitting of children if you are not going to allow any hitting of women?

This is the first ' serious' thread I bumped into so far. I must say that for a girl it is really nice to see guys speaking out their disgust of women getting hurt.

I always look at it like this: anger and violence is a sign of weakness. Men who hit their wives/girlfriends/etc, want to be in control and because they have the feeling they're not, they become agressive.

My dad used to hit me (not anymore tho) when I stood up against him, because I didn't do what he said. Or he'd atleast raise his voice.

Still today, when we disagree and I put in an argument he can't really fire something back at, he'll raise his voice and start yelling.

I guess some men are pathetic like that. In my opinion, a guy who rarely loses his temper and keeps his reactions controlled, is actually the one who really is 'in control.'

Doesn't take away violence against women is still a commen thing today and this thread and banners will do little against it. But all little things help. :) You're good in my book worshipper pa :hug:

And more girls are practicing martial arts these days, so that's also a good thing. I'm a blue belt in karate myself and it came in very handy when this moron started harassing me :) He got his ass kicked by a girl :fun: couldn't have been very good for his 'image' ;)

[Edit] (u guys are so quick!:blink: ) Hitting kids or hitting women are two different subjects, but they do have a lot in common. I think the fact that some parents hit their kids very hard shouldn't be overlooked. I've heard stories about kids who had a broken tailbone because of being hit so hard. Also, broken wrists and noses occur a lot. Some kids even faint. In that case, it's just as bad as women being hurt by their husbands. Maybe even worse.

But, a little unharming tick or slap to correct a kid when it has been 'naughty,' isn't bad in my opinion. But only if it's done rarely and won't have any results like bruises or worse. Still, best would be if parents could keep control over their kids without the use of violence in any way :)

Just my two cents

Edited by Expresso

This is the first ' serious' thread I bumped into so far. I must say that for a girl it is really nice to see guys speaking out their disgust of women getting hurt.

I always look at it like this: anger and violence is a sign of weakness. Men who hit their wives/girlfriends/etc, want to be in control and because they have the feeling they're not, they become agressive.

My dad used to hit me (not anymore tho) when I stood up against him, because I didn't do what he said. Or he'd atleast raise his voice.

Still today, when we disagree and I put in an argument he can't really fire something back at, he'll raise his voice and start yelling.

I guess some men are pathetic like that. In my opinion, a guy who rarely loses his temper and keeps his reactions controlled, is actually the one who really is 'in control.'

Doesn't take away violence against women is still a commen thing today and this thread and banners will do little against it. But all little things help. :) You're good in my book worshipper pa :hug:

And more girls are practicing martial arts these days, so that's also a good thing. I'm a blue belt in karate myself and it came in very handy when this moron started harassing me :) He got his ass kicked by a girl :fun: couldn't have been very good for his 'image' ;)

[Edit] (u guys are so quick!:blink: ) Hitting kids or hitting women are two different subjects, but they do have a lot in common. I think the fact that some parents hit their kids very hard shouldn't be overlooked. I've heard stories about kids who had a broken tailbone because of being hit so hard. Also, broken wrists and noses occur a lot. Some kids even faint. In that case, it's just as bad as women being hurt by their husbands. Maybe even worse.

But, a little unharming tick or slap to correct a kid when it has been 'naughty,' isn't bad in my opinion. But only if it's done rarely and won't have any results like bruises or worse. Still, best would be if parents could keep control over their kids without the use of violence in any way.

i don't see why anyone in society should be treated in such a different way. but why should children be smacked? all that smacking does is propagate smacking in the future as the children grow up thinking that it's alright to smack kids and other people who are being obstinate.

i can't see why you think that some people in society are more equal than others. in this case you are saying that women are more equal than kids. surely the same rules should apply to everyone when it comes to a subject such as this? why should one minority lose their rights and be victimised in such a manner?

also where does one draw the line and say "that's not violence against a kid, that's violence against a woman" for example???

by giving parents the right to physically punish their children you open the doorway to further abuses and escalation of violence as parents judge rightly or wrongly the level to which the child should be punished. some people go too far by licensing any sort of violence you are inadvertently encouraging these persons to smack their children.

whilst Pa's intentions may be 'good' he seems to be utterly naive when it comes to violence against women. the only way to decrease wife beatings in my view is to have easier reporting of cases, anger management classes, ban alcohol or to somehow remove rage and anger from the human psyche.

Geez Barry, you are making me address this huh? Fine...

Violence Against Women: It's wrong. Of course. It's a big problem because many times men hold psychological control through physical intimidation keeping a woman "trapped" or feeling trapped in a violent situation. There is alot of help for women out there, but society still breeds violence and we still have to deal with it. Various sorts of educational programs along with strong legal punishments for deterent is needed in my opinion.

Violence Against Children: The worst sort of crime. In extreme cases of abuse and/or sexual abuse I would support capital punishment.

Corporal Punishment aka Spanking: Contrary to Barry's claims, this is not abuse, but actually the opposite...depending on the child and the situation of course. Spanking, used correctly, is an effective method for teaching children a valuable lesson. Used sparingly and never in anger. It's not to be a knee-jerk reaction, lest the parent spank too hard. The butt has no vital organs and alot of nerve endings though.

An example: My daughter was taught not to touch the stove when her mother was working in the kitchen. She knew this. Yet her curiousity had her reaching for it one day. She got a little spanking and she cried for a minute. She now associates the stove with spanking (a little pain) but it is MUCH better than the pain of her grabbing that burner and having her hand scorched!

Proverbs says "Spare the rod, spoil the child"...this means that if you don't punish the children when they do wrong, they will be spoiled. I do NOT recommend using a rod though.

Geez Barry, you are making me address this huh? Fine...

Violence Against Women: It's wrong. Of course. It's a big problem because many times men hold psychological control through physical intimidation keeping a woman "trapped" or feeling trapped in a violent situation. There is alot of help for women out there, but society still breeds violence and we still have to deal with it. Various sorts of educational programs along with strong legal punishments for deterent is needed in my opinion.

Violence Against Children: The worst sort of crime. In extreme cases of abuse and/or sexual abuse I would support capital punishment.

Corporal Punishment aka Spanking: Contrary to Barry's claims, this is not abuse, but actually the opposite...depending on the child and the situation of course. Spanking, used correctly, is an effective method for teaching children a valuable lesson. Used sparingly and never in anger. It's not to be a knee-jerk reaction, lest the parent spank too hard. The butt has no vital organs and alot of nerve endings though.

An example: My daughter was taught not to touch the stove when her mother was working in the kitchen. She knew this. Yet her curiousity had her reaching for it one day. She got a little spanking and she cried for a minute. She now associates the stove with spanking (a little pain) but it is MUCH better than the pain of her grabbing that burner and having her hand scorched!

Proverbs says "Spare the rod, spoil the child"...this means that if you don't punish the children when they do wrong, they will be spoiled. I do NOT recommend using a rod though.

but by allowing any form of violence (which ultimately smacking and spanking are) you can quite easily follow a slippery slope leading to escalation of violence against kids.

contrary to Jimmy's statements, it is possible to raise children without smacking them. i was never smacked and i think that i've turned out to be an upstanding member of society . . . often it is quite unnecessary. and a 'lack' of smacking definitely doesn't result in a child becoming 'spoilt.'

different parents have very different perceptions of 'spanking'/'smacking' though :/

once more, if you believe in an equal society then you will treat all individuals in the same manner. is it right to treat a silent minority differently??? i ask you that question.

(i should point out that i am just being a Devil's advocate here. i have no concrete views on 'smacking'. i am just extrapolating people's comments in a somewhat logical direction)

i wonder. can women rape men? :ninja:

no seriously.

There have been cases, but the most common form would be paedophilia because children can't resist as much.

:ninja:

and this is stupid, Jimmy addressed most of the problems in his post.

Not to say I endorse spanking, but used correctly, it can work. There's a big difference between punishment and abuse :whistle:

and this is stupid, Jimmy addressed most of the problems in his post.

Not to say I endorse spanking, but used correctly, it can work. There's a big difference between punishment and abuse :whistle:

following the 'spanking' argument would it not logically be alright to smack/punish any obstinate individual then? i feel that it would be highly hypocritical to allow 'punishment' of some sectors of society, especially such a silent and poorly represented minority, in a supposedly equal society.

i wonder. can women rape men? :ninja:

no seriously.

currently the law does not recognise the rape of men by women. so effectively a woman could rape a man and get off 'scott free' . . . in the UK anyway . . .

Oh come on guys, how can a woman rape a man ? Have you guys ever heard of a woman that raped a man ?