Bellazon

Last movie you saw...

Legion

Selma - A well-told story which is a positive representation of what good can be done in the world, while at the same time being a negative representation of how horrible people can be to each other over something as unimportant as the color of one's skin.

A couple of thoughts: 1) At some point I should stop being surprised at how awful humans can be to each other, but somehow I am still surprised sometimes. 2) Even though the events in the movie happened over 50 years ago, the mentality of those (including politicians) who want to keep people down because of race has not changed that much.

2 hours ago, jkjk said:

Selma - A well-told story which is a positive representation of what good can be done in the world, while at the same time being a negative representation of how horrible people can be to each other over something as unimportant as the color of one's skin.

Selma really surprised me, actually. I went in expecting a sprawling biopic, but it was quite a modest film. All the better for it too, because the narrower focus really allowed it to get to grips with the detail of the issues involved.

Absolutely staggering that Oyelowo wasn't considered for an Oscar that year. :/

7 minutes ago, Michael* said:

Absolutely staggering that Oyelowo wasn't considered for an Oscar that year.

That was a strong year for that category, but he certainly could have been nominated. He is good, so I imagine he will continue to get quality roles and have a chance for an Oscar again.

10 hours ago, Sunshiine said:

Spider-Man trilogy. I saw them a long time ago and didn't remember the plot, but they were quite enjoyable, especially first and second one, 3rd one felt all over the place .. 

There were bits of it that I really loved (when Marko first became the Sandman for example, or Harry's fast and creepy exit from the diner), but overall it was far too long and there was too much time spent trying to awkwardly pull all the different strands together. Generally, it seems the third movie in any series is the one you have to be most wary of. :laugh:

13 minutes ago, jkjk said:

You are wrong, Godfather III was the best.    :yucky:

Well, there's an exception to most rules. :laugh:

Quite honestly, although you'll hear a lot of people bagging on Sofia Coppola's performance in that, my overriding memory of it was how different Al Pacino's voice sounded from the second movie to the third one. Granted, I watched the trilogy in fairly quick succession, but it just felt so jarring.

2 minutes ago, Michael* said:

Well, there's an exception to most rules. :laugh:

Quite honestly, although you'll hear a lot of people bagging on Sofia Coppola's performance in that, my overriding memory of it was how different Al Pacino's voice sounded from the second movie to the third one. Granted, I watched the trilogy in fairly quick succession, but it just felt so jarring.

To me, it seems odd that the movies were made by the same people because 3 has a completely different feel to it.

Wind River

Quiet slow paced movie until all of a sudden I was on the edge of my seat holding my breath.

Sad, well told story with great scenery and outstanding performances by a couple of supporting actors.