Bellazon

Last movie you saw...

Legion

10 hours ago, peroxideblonde said:

The Mummy..most of the time i love movies with bad reviews but this time they aren't so wrong, it was really boring

Sofia was amazing tho..i loved the original movies so i was mostly disappointed :/

That's a shame.  I plan on seeing this at some point, but I really have yet to read any real positive reviews about it.  Been a fan of Cruise for a long time, and have never walked away from one of his films disappointed (even his bad films manage to entertain me enough for them to have been worth the time), but it sounds like that streak may end up coming to an end with this one.

1 minute ago, VS19 said:

That's a shame.  I plan on seeing this at some point, but I really have yet to read any real positive reviews about it.  Been a fan of Cruise for a long time, and have never walked away from one of his films disappointed (even his bad films manage to entertain me enough for them to have been worth the time), but it sounds like that streak may end up coming to an end with this one.

i'm really not hard to please with movies so if i say is boring, is really boring :rofl:

Baby Driver - The concept and plot of the movie itself were enjoyable, and the action sequences and soundtrack were amazing. However, none of the character motivations made any sense to me. :/ Lily James' character was literally just an accessory and had zero purpose, and Eiza (:heart:) was a barely there typecast.  

^^ Yeah, the movie doesn't pass the Bechdel test, that's true (and that's a low bar).

Although I enjoy movies with strong and independent female characters, I have given up expecting the studios to make an effort to create many movies like that. I realized a while back that I would enjoy very few movies if I expected that from movies every time I watched one.

That being said, the female characters were weak. Can you imagine how cool it would have been if Baby was a woman? That could have been done, and if done well, the movie would likely have been even better.

8 hours ago, jkjk said:

^^ Yeah, the movie doesn't pass the Bechdel test, that's true (and that's a low bar).

Although I enjoy movies with strong and independent female characters, I have given up expecting the studios to make an effort to create many movies like that. I realized a while back that I would enjoy very few movies if I expected that from movies every time I watched one.

That being said, the female characters were weak. Can you imagine how cool it would have been if Baby was a woman? That could have been done, and if done well, the movie would likely have been even better.

Maybe it's because I'm a woman but I don't find it unreasonable to expect and want for movies to simply write women like human beings. :idk: However, I think all of the characters in that movie were poorly written, not just specifically the women. They just stood out to me because they were the weakest. :/ 

10 minutes ago, toodarnhot said:

Maybe it's because I'm a woman but I don't find it unreasonable to expect and want for movies to simply write women like human beings. :idk: However, I think all of the characters in that movie were poorly written, not just specifically the women. They just stood out to me because they were the weakest. :/ 

I don't think it's unreasonable to expect that at all, it's what I would like to happen.

Maybe the fact that I don't expect it says more about me. I generally assume the worst in these situations, so I assume the boy's club of the movie industry will continue to behave as they have in the past.

As a side note, Edgar Wright is not known for writing complex female characters. Off the top of my head, the closest he has gotten is maybe Scott Pilgrim vs The World? And we are not talking about a complex character really.

This conversation reminded me of something I noticed recently. I sometimes watch panels where they have an all actor group or an all actress group and I notice the difference in topics.

Male panel topics might be:1) How great was it to play this great part?  2) How did you chose this part? 3) What was is like working on this project?

Female panel topics might be: 1) How many times have you been sexually harassed in casting or during filming? 2) How have you been treated poorly on set because you are a woman? 3) How hard is it to find a project with a good character to work with? 4) Wasn't it amazing you had the rare opportunity to work on a script written by a woman or with a female director?

It's two fairly different worlds they work in, even when they are on the same set. Unfortunately.