Bellazon

Last movie you saw...

Legion

On 5/21/2017 at 7:26 PM, Sanni said:

Do you have any horror movie recommendations, @VS19?

I know you weren't asking me, but I"m kind of a horror movie fanatic! I highly recommend:

VHS 1 and 2 (so many good short films in all of these)

Don't Breathe (more thriller than horror but still)

30 Days of Night

Cabin in the Woods (more comedy than horror, but very entertaining nonetheless)

The Babadook (one of the best dramatic horror films ever made)

Trick 'R Treat

28 Days Later

Check any of these out for a good time if you haven't seen any yet :yes: 

Just now, Sanni said:

@katchitup Thank you! I don’t think I’ve seen any of them! I just watched The Curse (Noroi) which is a Japanese horror film. Have you seen it?

No I haven't, but I know Japanese horror is supposed to be quite good actually! I'll have to find it online sometime. Looks like a good found footage horror film :D 

What kind of horror movies do you like? I can recommend which of the ones I listed above you should watch first :laugh: 

6 minutes ago, katchitup said:

No I haven't, but I know Japanese horror is supposed to be quite good actually! I'll have to find it online sometime. Looks like a good found footage horror film :D 

What kind of horror movies do you like? I can recommend which of the ones I listed above you should watch first :laugh: 

I watched the movie on YouTube! :D Apparently, there has been problems with releasing the film in America so it’s like a hidden gem among horror fans. They post the film on different sites so that more people can discover it.

I tend to find supernatural movies the scariest! Such as the Spanish film REC. It being another found footage style film is a coincidence though :laugh:

OKEEE @Stormbringer include you in this too:D:D 

13 minutes ago, Sanni said:

I watched the movie on YouTube! :D Apparently, there has been problems with releasing the film in America so it’s like a hidden gem among horror fans. They post the film on different sites so that more people can discover it.

I tend to find supernatural movies the scariest! Such as the Spanish film REC. It being another found footage style film is a coincidence though :laugh:

I'll have to Youtube it on a day off :D

VHS 1 and 2 are found footage type horror movies, and both are so unique, a must watch for any horror movie fan. They are horror anthologies so each movie has like 5 little movies in it, all with different monsters or scary situations, all by different directors which was kind of cool. Some of the short films within those films were amazing, some I wish went on much longer (the first film in the first movie with the girl from the bar? Still gives me the creeps :laugh: )

The Babadook is probably the best made film that I listed above. I would actually say its alot more of a drama than it is a horror, but really great plot and symbolism throughout the movie. Great acting too. This is the type of movie to win awards and all that jazz.

28 Days Later- Hands down probably one of the best, if not the best, zombie movie!

30 Days of Night- One of my favorite Vampire movies. The styling of the vampires is very scary and realistic, I also like the setting of Alaska during 30 days of no sunlight.

Don't breathe- Best horror film of the past year IMO. Though its more of a thriller, the acting in it is so good, and is so suspenseful. Jane Levy is a really underrated actress, and Dylan Minnette is very talented, I Can see him becoming a respected actor in the future of his career. 

Just google these film titles and you'll see what they are all about :laugh: 

On 5/21/2017 at 7:26 PM, Sanni said:

Before watching the film, I was under the misconception that the one who ended up being the final girl would become a villain and that another character would be the final girl. So, it was confusing to me to watch the film because certain things pointed to the actual final girl being the heroine but the other one had her moments too.

Now I think it’s further proof of the writing for the female characters being more complex than usual in horror movies!

Do you have any horror movie recommendations, @VS19?

Sorry for the delay @Sanni.  Had started to reply the other night but got sidetracked.

There are a lot of great horror films out there, it really just comes down to what what your own personal preferences are.  I would contend that you can't really go wrong with any of the classic films in the genre, like John Carpenter's Halloween, The Exorcist, A Nightmare on Elm Street, etc. 

As @katchitup already pointed out, The Babadook is a modern horror film that warrants a viewing.  There have also been some rather good horror films that are true throwbacks to the style of horror filmmaking that we saw in the 70s and 80s from directors like John Carpenter.  Ti West has directed a couple of those that are worth checking out.  His House of the Devil is a tremendous horror film.  It's a slow-burn, but the tension keeps ratcheting upward as the film slowly progresses towards its finale, and I didn't realize how uncomfortable it was making me until I had to pause it for some reason and found myself actually sitting up on the edge of my seat.  West also directed The Innkeepers, which is another slow-burn horror film.  It's not quite as good as House of the Devil, but it's still pretty good in its own rite.  We Are Still Here is another film of this type that I would recommend as well.

8 hours ago, katchitup said:

28 Days Later- Hands down probably one of the best, if not the best, zombie movie

Not only do I think it's the best, I'm not sure I would put another one close. Zombieland is great but it's a comedy so it's not the same thing.

8 hours ago, Sanni said:

I haven’t seen 28 Days Later but I have seen 28 Weeks Later and I recommend it as well! Have you seen it?

28 Weeks Later has the same problem that most sequels do in that it's hard to be new/original the second time around. I'm not sure how that changes when you watch 28 Week Later first. I did like it though.

11 hours ago, katchitup said:

OKEEE @Stormbringer include you in this too:D:D 

VHS 1 and 2 are found footage type horror movies, and both are so unique, a must watch for any horror movie fan. They are horror anthologies so each movie has like 5 little movies in it, all with different monsters or scary situations, all by different directors which was kind of cool. Some of the short films within those films were amazing, some I wish went on much longer (the first film in the first movie with the girl from the bar? Still gives me the creeps :laugh: )

28 Days Later- Hands down probably one of the best, if not the best, zombie movie!

I'll have a look at these :D 

13 hours ago, Sanni said:

Thank you for the comments, guys! Now I’ve seen Don’t Breathe!

Aaannnnnnnnnddd thoughts? :D 

On May 25, 2017 at 2:58 AM, VS19 said:

As @katchitup already pointed out, The Babadook is a modern horror film that warrants a viewing.  There have also been some rather good horror films that are true throwbacks to the style of horror filmmaking that we saw in the 70s and 80s from directors like John Carpenter.  Ti West has directed a couple of those that are worth checking out.  His House of the Devil is a tremendous horror film.  It's a slow-burn, but the tension keeps ratcheting upward as the film slowly progresses towards its finale, and I didn't realize how uncomfortable it was making me until I had to pause it for some reason and found myself actually sitting up on the edge of my seat.  West also directed The Innkeepers, which is another slow-burn horror film.  It's not quite as good as House of the Devil, but it's still pretty good in its own rite.  We Are Still Here is another film of this type that I would recommend as well.

I've heard of House Of The Devil, I've been meaning to check that one out! 

On May 25, 2017 at 1:20 AM, Sanni said:

Thank you, @katchitup! Definitely let me know what you think of The Curse once you’ve seen it!

I haven’t seen 28 Days Later but I have seen 28 Weeks Later and I recommend it as well! Have you seen it?

Like it was said above, 28 weeks later is really good (especially considering sequels are never that good, let alone horror movie sequels!) but I still think 28 days later is better. Better characters and storyline, not to say the sequel didn't have good ones either! 

9 minutes ago, katchitup said:

Aaannnnnnnnnddd thoughts? :D 

Haha, well, it wasn’t scary to me but it had some intense moments and twists and a couple of jump scares that I fell for :laugh:

I guess it was a bit difficult for me to connect with their plight because they weren’t exactly in the right either.

58 minutes ago, katchitup said:

I've heard of House Of The Devil, I've been meaning to check that one out!

It's been quite a while since I've seen it, but I remember it being quite good.  I think there were some disagreements online about whether or not they stuck the landing at the end of the film, but regardless, it's a pretty good film.  A real throwback.

• 2 weeks later...