Bellazon

Weight Loss

Liliana

My dieting has been sloppy and probably with zero results in the past 2 weeks due to 1. social eating. 2. indulging in a lot of treats.   My exercise however, has been on point- this is a recurring theme where my exercise is consistent.

Re-commitment:

Meal 1, 350 calories.  

Snack: 300 calories 

Meal 2, 450 calories

Snack 2: 100 calories

bought workout rings to put over calluses and to prevent other ones from forming.

** I want to add a extra 30-minute walk a day (6 days a week) until I hit 145 lbs.

-elbow sleeves:  they definitely do protect the elbows from pressure 

-I looks like my body fat is low enough in the morning that I could potentially "display abs".  I currently don't do abs at all.  I don't like to work out abs as I am afraid of lower back injuries and my body fat was previously too high to have an 8-pack.

@Stromboli1  what do you do for abs??

He just won the Men's physique Olympia competition (the lowest level of the  Olympia) .  This is his "shredding" diet

He still eats however, an enormous amount of protein (288 grams).  Little fat (54 grams) and 248 grams of carbs.

Changes due to joint pressure:

Workout:

Chest/back and upper arms

Shoulders and forearms

Rest day

Chest/back and upper arms

Shoulders and forearms

Rest day

Rest day

+ Omega 3 consumption capsules 

+ 600 calories of snacks (300 calories from fatty sweets, 300 calories from bread)

+decrease carb consumption replace with fat consumption

other meal experiment:

- Meal 1 meal with rice (550 calories)

- Meal 2: meal with juice (450 calories)       

Snacks: 400 calories (200 from fatty sweets- 2 or 3 pieces,  200 from bread- 3 slices)

I want to experiment with the low-carb diet for a few days.

Meal 1 (350 calories)

Snack 1(400 calories from fat)

Meal 2 (450 calories)

Snack 2 (200 calories from fat)

700 calories from fat sources

400 calories from protein sources

300 calories from carb sources.

I've been on the low carb diet (at least 50 % from nuts , 30% from protein, 20 % from carb (OJ and vegetables) for the first time.  some interesting effects:

- No insulin spikes so no energy crash all day long.  HOWEVER, not as much energy as when I'm on carbs.  It's a weird feeling, eg. I'm used to feeling higher energy and sharper on carbs, and then a decline.   No insulin activated from eating fats, so my body is more often in fat-burning mode and I can feel it.

- Nuts satiate much better than I thought but they taste like crap.  They are extremely easy to over-consume and need to be rationed by using measuring spoons/cups.  It's weird having an empty stomach that isn't hungry.  

- Carbs taste like manna from heaven now

-. I have long known for a long time that on a carb diet I cannot get rid of the final layer of fat without extremely long, heavy and exhausting cardio everyday.  I hope that this diet will be what brings out my abs and gets rid of the excess fat elsewhere

• 3 weeks later...

It seems that my weight has stabilized at around 150 lbs and my guess is I'm about 5-7 lbs of fat away from low bodyfat (approaching 10% with defined abs).

Low carb diet days  has been good so far.  I now cut fats by 150 calories:

Meal 1 (350 calories)

Meal 2 (350 calories)

Snack (450 calories from fat)

And I always cave into some small carb snack , keep it low and below 200 calories

-Taking 1 gram of fish oil a day has helped with inflammation

-I estimate that I gain about 1/3 rd of a pound in days of a week that I don't diet.  On occasion, 1/2 a pound.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm in good shape now but the last 5 lbs seems to be unbreakable.  Also, the weather makes it harder to exercise outside.

New routine:

S  Walk x 1:30

M Weights x 1, Walk 1:30

T Weights x 1, Walk 1:30

W  Walk 1:30

Th  Weights x 1, Walk 1:30

Fri  Weights x 1, Walk  1:30

• 2 weeks later...

I was on the right track to reduce that last 5 pounds or so but the holidays reversed the track..

- My modest increase in exercise has tracked a modest increase in eating- a loosening of discipline

-Can't really exercise any more than this, so I  have to be more strict on my diet.  

Meal 1 (350 calories)

Meal 2 (350 calories)

Snack (400 or 500 calories or 700 from fat)

Snack (300 or 200 calories or  0 from carb)

*** Must not consume more than 200 calories of carb pre-workout, must leave a reserve

*** Must not consume all of fat calories pre-workout, must leave a reserve.

• 2 weeks later...

**Overall, this compromise (Carb and Fat) has not worked well enough- the carbs spike the insulin and increase my appetite during the diet day so I end up consuming more overall.  I am switching back to fats (700 calories) for my snack portion.  

• 3 weeks later...

Notes on what has happened since:

-My weight loss goals are still the same- the final 5-10 lbs of fat.  This "layer" is especially stubborn and the body tries its best to prevent its loss.

-Doing a mixed carb/fat diet day routine is too unsteady to manage.  What happens is usually that one side of the equation gets too high due to insulin spikes so I lose my deficit.  Keep it to fats and avoid all carbs.  Edit:  I changed my mind again, it seems that I do need some carbs in the morning or my brain isn't operating well enough.  Changed it to no carbs in the afternoon/night.

-I consume the fat portion way too quickly in the day, I need to leave a sizable (300 calorie or so ) "reserve" for post Meal #2.  what frequently happens is that I get offered something and I consume it due to peer pressure, thus breaking any gains for the diet day.

-My body is still sending faint  "feed me carbs" signals after I consume 450 fat calories in the morning- I need to ignore them better and not cave in until Meal #2.

7-week review on weight loss:-  These have been the worst dieting period (dieted only  50% of the time and broke even or had a cheat day for the rest) to date but I still lost around 3 pounds of bodyfat.   Made some mistakes.

Lessons learned:

- I believe that I didn't gain bodyfat only because I tripled! my fast walking (cardio) in response to the increased intake.  This saved me over all other tactics.

-This is not however, a long term solution.  I am starting to "feel it" very mildly in my knees which has prevented any further increase.  When I lose the weight I will see if i can dial it down to 50 minutes a day for maintenance.

-I've had problems with a low-carb diet which cased me to overeat fats and lose a little progress.  I just don't respond well enough to it.  what I learned:  I need about 200 calories from carbs in the morning to wake up my brain.  In the afternoon, and night, I still have mild cravings for carbs.   

-Reworked diet:

-750 from 2 x meals

-250 from fat in the morning, 200 reserved for the afternoon

-200 from carbs in the morning,  100 reserved for the afternoon

*carbs consumed WITH fat to slow down rate of digestion and provide dual benefits.

-Judging from the mirror, I have 7 lbs of bodyfat to lose and I should be done or almost done.

-I've had a small amount of muscle gain (muscle gain has slowed down and stabilized) although it is not my goal.

• 2 weeks later...

had a breakeven day today (2,100 calories) and made several mistakes, which is a good reinforcement/learning lesson:

- Eat a meal first, and DO NOT eat carbs. Eating carbs jumps starts the insulin cycle which made me hungrier all day.

-No candies at all, they spike insulin.  No white bread at all, they spike insulin big time.

-Eat 200 calories from fat soon after Meal #1, to stabilize blood sugar for 4-6 hours, and then add small amounts of carbs if needed.

-Do not eat food that is offered to you by others.  Store it for later.  

• 4 weeks later...

-Lost a few pounds of fat- only 3 or so pounds of belly fat left to loose

-I'm losing it at an extremely slow rate (1 pound a month) despite dieting most of the time and following a regular exercise plan

-A key change for diet (consume 450 calories from fat split up for breakfast and midday).  Only trace calories from fat consumed in the afternnoon/night.  This seems to be effective in stabilizing blood sugar/cravings during the day. (fat has a 5-6 hour digestive cycle)  A mistake I made was to space the fat consumption out too much, and consuming it at night is a waste.