Bellazon

Leonardo DiCaprio - (Please Read First Post Prior to Posting)
Thumbnail

moiselles

Blood Diamond Star Gets Brutally Candid About DiCaprio's Best Actor Nod

7232.jpg?width=1020&quality=45&dpr=2&s=n

Blood Diamond star Djimon Hounsou slams Leonardo DiCaprio's Best Actor nomination for the film, for which Hounsou was nominated in a supporting role.

Blood Diamond star Djimon Hounsou calls out the unfairness of Leonardo DiCaprio's Oscar nomination. Released in 2006, Blood Diamond follows the story of three people who are fighting over the possession of a prized Diamond. Hounsou played Solomon Vandy, and despite playing the film’s protagonist, was nominated for Best Actor in a Supporting Role at the Oscars. Co-star DiCaprio was nominated for Best Actor in a Leading Role in the same year.

Reflecting on Blood Diamond, Hounsou calls out the problematic rhetoric surrounding his Oscar nomination. According to The Guardian, upon hearing that DiCaprio had been deemed a lead actor nominee and his supporting, Hounsou “felt seriously cheated.” Hounsou recalled he was told to be satisfied with his nomination, even when he was struggling to get roles. Hounsou elaborates on his unfair treatment within Hollywood below:

"I felt seriously cheated. Today, we talk so much about the Oscars being so white, but I remember there was a time where I had no support at all: no support from my own people, no support from the media, from the industry itself. It felt like: ‘You should be happy that you’ve got nominated,’ and that’s that. I’m still struggling to try to make a dollar! I’ve come up in the business with some people who are absolutely well off and have very little of my accolades. So I feel cheated, tremendously cheated, in terms of finances and in terms of the workload as well. I’ve gone to studios for meetings and they’re like: ‘Wow, we felt like you just got off the boat and then went back [after Amistad]. We didn’t know you were here as a true actor.’ When you hear things like that, you can see that some people’s vision of you, or what you represent, is very limiting. But it is what it is. It’s up to me to redeem that."

How Hounsou’s Career Has Been Affected By Systemic Hollywood Problems

Unfortunately, Hounsou’s description is not shocking when tracing his acting journey. Hounsou's "very limiting” acting choices are evident by his early track record of playing slave characters. Hounsou had his big Hollywood break playing the lead in the Steven Spielberg historical drama Amistad, and in short, the succession went on to play two more slave roles in Gladiator and The Four Feathers.

Hounsou’s lack of name recognition in Hollywood today further highlights his assertion that accolades do not necessarily equal financial prosperity when it comes to the film industry. By the time he was nominated for Best Supporting Actor for Blood Diamond, Hounsou was a two-time Oscar nominee, having been nominated for the award two years prior for In America. While Hounsou has since gotten roles in big-budget projects such as Captain Marvel and Shazam!, it took several years for his accolades to manifest in high-profile offers.

Hopefully, through his roles in both Marvel and DC Films, Hounsou can continue to break free from his initial type casting. Hounsou stars as Wizard in the recently-released Shazam! Fury of the Gods and will play a role in the upcoming Zack Snyder adventure film Rebel Moon. Perhaps, Hollywood can reverse the wrongs of Blood Diamond and give Hounsou a Best Actor nomination for a future project.

Source

PTA movie update.

Be Wary of PTA Rumors …

The latest issue of Production Weekly blew up the online film world last night when there was a posting for Paul Thomas Anderson’s new film.

The listing stated that Leonardo DiCaprio, Regina Hall, Rachael Taylor, Joaquin Phoenix and Viggo Mortensen were “mentioned” as being part of the cast.

I’m here to tell you that all of this amounts to is just rumors. Production Weekly took whatever intel Jeff Sneider and I have been reporting and molded it into their posting.

Fact of the matter is that, yes, DiCaprio is said to be in talks for the film, but Hall, Mortensen, and Phoenix’s inclusion in the cast is purely speculative for now. That’s what I’m being told.

What we do know about this mysterious new project is that it is set to shot this July in Los Angeles. Rumors are pointing to it being an adaptation of Thomas Pynchon’s “Vineland,” but that is, again, pure speculation.

PTA has already tackled a Pynchon novel, 2014’s “Inherent Vice.” That turned out to be the most polarizing movie of his career. Pynchon movie adaptations are very risky, his way of writing and telling a story is a stylistic beast of its own.

PTA’s last film was the acclaimed “Licorice Pizza” in 2021. He’s not known to jump this fast into another project, but it seems like that’s just what he’s about to do.

Source

His net worth is around 12 million $. That's a number none of us "regular" people will achieve ever. Some actors (no matter which skin color) also get never nominated for the oscar ever. And he's what a 3 times nominee? This guy needs a serious reality check and then he can go cry in the corner how Leo and the unfair world peed in his bowl of cornflakes. (Even though I don't think he's criticizing Leo in the original interview but more the system of hollywood but still very poorly worded overall).

https://www.celebritynetworth.com/richest-celebrities/actors/djimon-hounsou-net-worth/

I'm not sure how to feel about Djimon's statements, but I thought it was widely understood that the United States is systematically problematic. Hollywood has been documented as a tricky place for ages. I wonder how close Djimon and Leonardo are, he seemed to really supported him during the Blood Diamond season (DiCaprio, I mean). One thing is certain, DiCaprio earnestly pushes for the underdog.

Some social media posts, I'm sure the pics have been seen. Also, thanks for the updates. 

5 hours ago, Jade Bahr said:

Blood Diamond Star Gets Brutally Candid About DiCaprio's Best Actor Nod

7232.jpg?width=1020&quality=45&dpr=2&s=n

Blood Diamond star Djimon Hounsou slams Leonardo DiCaprio's Best Actor nomination for the film, for which Hounsou was nominated in a supporting role.

Blood Diamond star Djimon Hounsou calls out the unfairness of Leonardo DiCaprio's Oscar nomination. Released in 2006, Blood Diamond follows the story of three people who are fighting over the possession of a prized Diamond. Hounsou played Solomon Vandy, and despite playing the film’s protagonist, was nominated for Best Actor in a Supporting Role at the Oscars. Co-star DiCaprio was nominated for Best Actor in a Leading Role in the same year.

Reflecting on Blood Diamond, Hounsou calls out the problematic rhetoric surrounding his Oscar nomination. According to The Guardian, upon hearing that DiCaprio had been deemed a lead actor nominee and his supporting, Hounsou “felt seriously cheated.” Hounsou recalled he was told to be satisfied with his nomination, even when he was struggling to get roles. Hounsou elaborates on his unfair treatment within Hollywood below:

"I felt seriously cheated. Today, we talk so much about the Oscars being so white, but I remember there was a time where I had no support at all: no support from my own people, no support from the media, from the industry itself. It felt like: ‘You should be happy that you’ve got nominated,’ and that’s that. I’m still struggling to try to make a dollar! I’ve come up in the business with some people who are absolutely well off and have very little of my accolades. So I feel cheated, tremendously cheated, in terms of finances and in terms of the workload as well. I’ve gone to studios for meetings and they’re like: ‘Wow, we felt like you just got off the boat and then went back [after Amistad]. We didn’t know you were here as a true actor.’ When you hear things like that, you can see that some people’s vision of you, or what you represent, is very limiting. But it is what it is. It’s up to me to redeem that."

How Hounsou’s Career Has Been Affected By Systemic Hollywood Problems

Unfortunately, Hounsou’s description is not shocking when tracing his acting journey. Hounsou's "very limiting” acting choices are evident by his early track record of playing slave characters. Hounsou had his big Hollywood break playing the lead in the Steven Spielberg historical drama Amistad, and in short, the succession went on to play two more slave roles in Gladiator and The Four Feathers.

Hounsou’s lack of name recognition in Hollywood today further highlights his assertion that accolades do not necessarily equal financial prosperity when it comes to the film industry. By the time he was nominated for Best Supporting Actor for Blood Diamond, Hounsou was a two-time Oscar nominee, having been nominated for the award two years prior for In America. While Hounsou has since gotten roles in big-budget projects such as Captain Marvel and Shazam!, it took several years for his accolades to manifest in high-profile offers.

Hopefully, through his roles in both Marvel and DC Films, Hounsou can continue to break free from his initial type casting. Hounsou stars as Wizard in the recently-released Shazam! Fury of the Gods and will play a role in the upcoming Zack Snyder adventure film Rebel Moon. Perhaps, Hollywood can reverse the wrongs of Blood Diamond and give Hounsou a Best Actor nomination for a future project.

Source

Dijmon is absolutely correct. Hollywood knows it. Leo knows it.  Based on Leo’s actions, he sometimes seems embarrassed by the white, male privilege that is afforded him when he knows other just as talented actors are not able to benefit. It’s not Leo’s fault, but I’m glad he is able to show awareness of the reality. It’s also good to see Leo use his white, male privilege to bring awareness to the stories of various minority groups. 

26 minutes ago, Sugarwater said:

Dijmon is absolutely correct. Hollywood knows it. Leo knows it.  Based on Leo’s actions, he sometimes seems embarrassed by the white, male privilege that is afforded him when he knows other just as talented actors are not able to benefit. It’s not Leo’s fault, but I’m glad he is able to show awareness of the reality. It’s also good to see Leo use his white, male privilege to bring awareness to the stories of various minority groups. 

My point it was not Leo's fault, I didn't mean Dijimon complaints were not valid, but him being upset towards something Leo doesn't have control about it is not right, guess he was probably mad when Leo won his Oscar too.  But anyway, I don't have a voice here on this subject, so I will remain quiet.

^ I remember this and I remember some red carpet interview that exhibited Leonardo utter and most purely authentic elation over Djimon's newfound recognition. Hollywood is a convoluted place and oppressive strategies are very well in effect. Unfair things take place so oft and unabashedly, the possibility of proper articulation is nearly impossible. It's a struggle for minorities, and I'm sure it doesn't help to be groomed as the next best thing and to be tantalized in such a will it, won't it manner. Tinseltown is arguably cliquish and not all of those barriers about such cliques are race related, but enough are. It may never be a simple way to cover such a topic, but for all the ppl Hollywood keeps locked out, for those who are in are out too. Or so it seems.  

2 hours ago, Sliva said:

OMG, really? Hounsou is stupid? He wants to use race card. Dear Djimon, why Will Smith is the most rich actor in Hollywood and he still working after that slap thing? Maybe because he's white? Lol

I have often wondered who Smith knows in Hollywood...talentless and always in movies. As to black actors playing the race card.... please read into Hollywood movie history to learn how minorities have been treated throughout history in the industry. 

SWitching from the more serious topic of fair treatment and equality 🟰. Firstly, I'd like to hear your thoughts on the Orphan: First Kill @Jade Bahr. I do remember @Sugarwater suggesting the flick for a fun watch months ago. And now, for the video below 👇, my mother swears Franco Zeffirelli' s adaption of William Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet is superior to any of the other remakes. I'm hoping to be completely empirical in drawing my conclusion, but even Rotten Tomatoes sides with her over mine. However, like her, I haven't even considered giving my childhood version subsequent adaptions a ghost 👻 of a chance. Is unbiasedness possible? I'm not sure.