Bellazon

Leonardo DiCaprio - (Please Read First Post Prior to Posting)
Thumbnail

moiselles

I just wanted to share I saw Titanic today in 3D and it was amazing! Seeing Leo in the movie bought back memories of when I saw him in theaters 25 years ago... I was either 14 or 15. Amazing part is that a lot of people in the theaters were teens. In my row I had about 7 of them... I  was cracking up because they came in their pjmas. I wanted to chat with them before the movie. Ask if they had seen it and if they liked Leo. I didn't want to sound like a creep though since I'm in my late 30s lol. They were kinda loud but it was mostly excitement... I moved so I could enjoy it more but I didn't complain. to them. I wanted them to have a positive experience. I'm going to try and catch it again before it leaves theaters. Does anyone know how long Titanic will be shown?

Predicts were Titanic would made between 10-15 millions over the weekend. Well it's a bit more actually. It even managed to beat Magic Mike 3 globally. Haters must pee their pants right now :rofl:

'Titanic's 25th Anniversary Re-Release Sets Sail With $22.3 Million at the Global Box Office

James Cameron's epic romance is still stealing hearts after a quarter of a century and raking in millions of dollars at the box office.

titanic-kate-winslet-leonardo-dicaprio.j

It may be about to be overtaken as the third-highest-grossing film of all time by Avatar: The Way of Water, but James Cameron has sent a box office lifeboat for his 1997 crown jewel, Titanic in the wake of its 25th-anniversary re-release.

111 years on from the doomed sailing of the luxury cruise liner, the RMS Titanic is still very much in the public consciousness. The hype over Cameron's film, which made stars of Leonardo DiCaprio and Kate Winslet, feels like it never really went away, with each new generation finding something to identify with, to argue over, to admire, and to love—be it Kate and Leo's lifelong friendship, accompanying each other as dates two decades later to awards shows, or even arguments about how many people can actually fit on a damned wardrobe door.

(...)

Ever the old romantic, and never one to shy away from the chance to try out some new technology, Cameron chose Valentine's Day week to mark the 25th-anniversary release of his Academy Award-winning magnum opus, bolstered by some 4K high frame rate technology, as well as a new IMAX remastering.

James Cameron Still Rules the Box Office

Perhaps bolstered by the presence of his latest film, The Way of Water, in cinemas, the decision to bring Titanic back to screens has been a safe and a smart one. While Magic Mike's Last Dance took the top spot at the domestic box office for the weekend, globally it only took third place with $18.6 million.

The Way of Water continued, for its ninth consecutive week, to top the global box office with a $25.8 million gross while Titanic's re-release added another $22.3 million to its quarter-century accumulation. The two films are expected to swap places in the coming days on the all-time charts—Titanic sits at $2.217 billion and The Way of Water currently at $2.213 billion.

That said, the appeal Titanic continues to hold in the imagination of the public is all the more remarkable given the initial belief that it was Cameron's folly. The most expensive film of all time when released, Cameron admitted he had already come to terms with the fact he would "lose the studio $100 million." However, a combination of groundbreaking visual effects, terrific leading performances from his young stars, and old-fashioned disaster proved an immense hit with audiences, who continued to see the film for months after its release.

Just like Jack and Rose, it seems like audiences who journey about Titanic will never let go.

Source

‘Avatar 2’ Tops $2.21B Global As ‘Titanic’ Resurfaces & Retains No. 3 Berth On All-Time WW Chart, For Now – International Box Office

UPDATE, writethru: The latest rerelease of James Cameron’s Titanic 3D has buoyed the big boat movie to $2.217B globally, meaning it still stands as the No. 3 worldwide release of all time. Right in its wake, Cameron’s Avatar: The Way of Water has now reached $2,213.5M, still the fourth biggest movie ever and less than $4M from Titanic through Sunday. It will overtake Titanic, it’s just a matter of when.

Last session, Way of Water had cruised past Titanic internationally for the No. 3 spot of all time overseas, and holds onto that crown after this weekend with $1.567B through Sunday. 

Either way, Cameron was indeed king of the (box office) world this frame, with $22.3M from the Titanic reissue (Paramount has domestic and Disney overseas) as well as $25.8M for 20th Century Studios/Disney’s Way of Water

(...)

Meanwhile, Titanic rode a new 3D wave a little over 25 years after it first premiered. The international portion of the session was $15.9M from 51 markets, including No. 1s in Italy, Belgium, Bosnia, Slovenia, Indonesia, Malaysia, Bolivia, Ecuador and Central America. Elsewhere, it debuted in the Top 4 in many markets including Korea, Japan, India, Spain, Mexico, the UK, Australia, France, Germany and Brazil. The Top 5 booking passage were Korea ($2.5M), France ($1.6M), Mexico ($1.2M), UK ($1M) and Japan ($1M). IMAX generated $2M globally, including $1.6M from offshore.

Source

Victor Garber weighs in on Titanic door controversy: 'It's one of those questions I don't understand'

"If that's the way James Cameron wanted to end the movie, he would've," says Garber, who featured as ship designer Thomas Andrews.

Victor Garber may be sorry he didn't build Rose a stronger ship, but he's not sorry he thinks your Titanic door theories are silly.

"If that's the way [James Cameron] wanted to end the movie, he would've," says Garber in response to his thoughts on the longstanding fan belief that Jack (Leonardo DiCaprio) fit on the door and lived. "It's one of those questions that I don't really understand. If that spoiled the movie for you, I'm sorry, but that certainly never crossed my mind."

never-let-go-jack-titanic-2000.jpg

For years fans have contended that Rose (Kate Winslet) was selfish and if she had shared the floating door in the mid-Atlantic with Jack, he could've lived. It's remained such a subject of debate that the Mythbusters dedicated an episode to it and Cameron himself ran a test experiment recently in the run-up to Titanic's 25th anniversary.

Cameron even admitted there were other potential outcomes after his series of tests, saying, "Jack might've lived, but there's a lot of variables. How much swell is there, how long does it take the lifeboat to get there. In an experiment in a test pool, we can't possibly simulate the terror, the adrenaline, all the things that worked against them. He couldn't have anticipated what we know today about hypothermia. He didn't get to run a bunch of different experiments to see what worked the best. Based on what I know today, I would have made the raft smaller, so there's no doubt."

But in Garber's eyes, it's the way the story goes and therefore, it shouldn't even be up for debate.

Garber featured in Titanic as Thomas Andrews, the designer of the ill-fated ship, and he remembers the experience as one of the most unique and memorable in his long career. We caught up with Garber in advance of the film's return to theaters for its 25th anniversary to reminisce about playing Andrews, perfecting an Irish accent, forming a bond with Winslet, and playing Scrabble to pass the time.

Titanic-Victor-Garber-020823.jpg

ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY: How did you come on board the film? Did they make an offer or did you audition?

VICTOR GARBER: I believe I was the last principal to be cast. They were already shooting in Mexico when I got the casting call to go to L.A. and meet with Mali Finn, who was the casting director. They sent me the script, and I thought it was really one of the best screenplays I've ever read. I certainly knew the story, but I thought it was a beautiful love story set in that very tragic time. So I worked on the part and I went in and she videoed me. It seemed to go really well, and she seemed very positive about it. I drove back to San Diego where I was doing a play, and then I didn't hear anything. What happened was when Mali Finn got back to her office after the weekend, she saw that my tape had not been sent. James Cameron had received a different audition and had told her, "I don't think this is the guy." And she was surprised. Then she realized that he hadn't seen my tape, so it was a comedy of errors. Then the next thing I knew, I was in a van after I'd finished the play I was doing and being driven to Rosarito, Mexico.

I met James Cameron for the first time on the set. He was actually in the tank filming. The background people were in the tank and floating around, and he was shooting. He waved at me. And then about a half hour later, he made his way over and was literally in the tank and looked up at me and said, "Well, welcome, I'm glad you're here, and I'll see you on set, and I'm so happy you're doing this." And I was there for the next five months.

You'd done a lot of stage work that required various dialects, but was Mr. Andrews' mid-Ulster accent intimidating?

Yes. Because I'm a perfectionist. There was a dialect coach on the set. I worked really hard listening to accents, and I didn't get as specific as I probably should have, but I knew that when I started, I was in the ballpark. Then the dialogue coach on set helped me. If it had been Scottish, I would've been in real trouble. But for some reason, Irish was a little easier to assimilate.

Mr. Andrews is obviously the real person who designed the ship, but the way that James Cameron wrote him, he's also this engine of dramatic irony and foreshadowing. Was that something that you had to take into account as you were playing him and try to make sure you weren't leaning too hard into that in any sense? 

I don't honestly really think like that as an actor. I don't think, "Oh, he's foreshadowing." It's just a moment to experience. The way I work is if you're in a scene, all you can do is respond to the information you're getting. I don't plan it, it just comes in that moment. James is a very intricate director, and I loved working with him as an actor. I know he's known for his special effects and everything, but he had a real affinity for this role. He saw himself as that person on this whole project. I trusted him and he was very specific, as he is about everything, but I found that to be intriguing and helpful as an actor. 

He has this very fatherly relationship with Rose when she doesn't really have a lot of people like that in her life. Was that something you actively worked to build with Kate? 

No, it was completely spontaneous. Listen, I was in the presence of some of the greatest actors in the cinema, Leonardo and Kate were two of them. All I had to do was be present, and they gave me everything I needed, and I hopefully did the same to them. Kate and Leo were extraordinary, and they were in the early parts of their career. It's my good luck to work with great actors because that just makes me better and it makes me look better.

In a script full of infinitely quotable lines, you have two of them. The first one is, "It's made of iron, sir, I assure you she can and she will." How did you find the right delivery for that?

I didn't think of it as one of those lines that people would still be quoting. I knew it was obviously significant, and I didn't have that many lines, actually. It's a small part, but I knew that was a major moment. James directed me, and we did as many takes as he needed until he thought, "Okay, I have it." That's what acting on film is like. You can do it in any number of ways, and hopefully, you're in the right ballpark. It was an ominous and terrifying observation that he was presenting, and I just had to believe what I was saying. 

Then you have this really touching goodbye scene with Rose, and "I'm sorry I didn't build you a stronger ship." Tell me more about finding the headspace for that moment, because there's all this guilt and things running through your head, but you don't want to over egg it in a sense. 

What you're asking me is how I act. [Laughs] And I don't really have an answer for you other than all I had to do was look in her eyes and listen to what she was asking. And all of that just happened. It's really in that moment with the actor you're working with, that's when it happens. Sometimes I've had to manufacture it for myself because I was not getting anything from the actor I was working with, but certainly not in this case. Kate is one of the greats.

Titanic-Victor-Garber-020823_2.jpg

Probably the most memorable shot is you leaning against the mantel with the clock as the boat starts to tilt. What was involved in shooting that?

In a funny way, it was a little bit Mickey Mouse, because someone was literally holding my coat so I could lean forward without falling over. There was a grip behind me, holding my top coat, so I could look like I was on a tilt, which I wasn't. We were in a studio and things were moving, and they were on wires. So, I was watching all of this happen. When I set the time on the clock, which I know was a very poignant part of the movie, and I knew it was a very beautiful moment, but that was humorous because it was so not high-tech. The grips were hanging on to me, and I was hoping that I wouldn't fall over.

Obviously, a lot of people had to get in the tank and the water. Did you have to do much of that? 

I never touched water I'm happy to say. Nobody believes me, but it's true. I think I was one of the only people on the set that didn't actually get wet.

When you signed on or during the making of it, did you have any sense of how huge Titanic would be?

I knew it was James Cameron, and he was known for doing extravagant and technically brilliant movies. Nobody really knew. We were worried we'd be another Waterworld that had all the hype and then doesn't work, because you don't know when you're shooting. I was there for months and it was rare that we got more than one or one and a half scenes a day. Most of the time, I sat around waiting to go on and didn't go on. It was a lot of that. It does sort of take the wind out of your sails, literally. But then I saw the premiere and I thought, "Oh my God, I'm in a classic movie." I couldn't believe it when I finally saw it.

Did you have any scenes that were cut that you wish made it in?

Oh, God, I certainly don't remember. I think they wanted to get an establishing shot of me when the boat hit or something. But it was a shot that never happened. I had to wait around and we finally did that, but it never got in the movie. I didn't really care. What I did care about was having to wait around to do it. But when I saw the movie, I couldn't believe what I was watching. I couldn't believe what James Cameron achieved and what everybody involved in the movie achieved. I never had any idea of the magnitude of what it would be when sitting in a theater.

With so much waiting and downtime on set, what did you do to fill the hours?

I hung out with some of the older actors, David Warner and Jonathan Hyde and Bernard Hill, and we played Scrabble. We sat in the dressing room for hours and hours and played Scrabble. We were shooting mostly nights. So, we'd go into makeup and hair around 4 PM, and if you were lucky, if you were in the first scene, you might get on the set. But sometimes they took so long that you didn't make it on and were sent home. But you're in costume, you're in hair and make-up, in the dressing room waiting. Cause if you're needed, you better get there fast. It was at least a month of that. I haven't looked at a Scrabble board since then, because I was so played out. But it saved us.

Who was the best at it? You?

No, Jonathan Hyde was, and Bernard was also. I had my moments, but they weren't consistent.

Source

Thanks for all the Titanic articles - love it :)

I found this again on youtube. Great interview. Leo is so open and his charming self comes through especially when he tells the stories. Most of the time he seems very reserved in interviews but here he's very much like I imagine him being in private.

'Titanic' was king of the world 25 years ago for a good reason

dxn5ff_wide-582b05e98440a5ef15cfd6cc4727

Titanic was a box office juggernaut 25 years ago, and it catapulted Leonardo DiCaprio and Kate Winslet into a whole new stratosphere of fame. The film recently returned to theaters, but we've got some distance from Leo Mania and "king of the world" jokes. So how does James Cameron's epic hold up all these years later? In this encore episode, we're revisiting our conversation about Titanic.

Source

Great podcast worth every minute :PinkCouture2:

22 hours ago, akatosh said:

Thanks for all the Titanic articles - love it /cdn-cgi/mirage/41470afe617558de309a8bb8b7b315c76ab8e1c07642ab304fa72befa6602115/1280/https://www.bellazon.com/main/uploads/emoticons/smile.png

I found this again on youtube. Great interview. Leo is so open and his charming self comes through especially when he tells the stories. Most of the time he seems very reserved in interviews but here he's very much like I imagine him being in private.

It's a classic❤️

LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA - FEBRUARY 14: Leonardo DiCaprio and rapper Q-Tip attend a basketball game between the Los Angeles Clippers and the Golden State Warriors at Crypto.com Arena on February 14, 2023 in Los Angeles, California. (Photo by Allen Berezovsky/Getty Images)

leonardo-dicaprio-and-rapper-q-tip-atten leonardo-dicaprio-and-rapper-q-tip-atten leonardo-dicaprio-and-rapper-q-tip-atten kenya-barris-and-leonardo-dicaprio-embra kenya-barris-leonardo-dicaprio-and-rappe leonardo-dicaprio-and-rapper-q-tip-atten leonardo-dicaprio-and-rapper-q-tip-atten leonardo-dicaprio-and-rapper-q-tip-atten

In those last shots the camera came really... close?