Bellazon

Leonardo DiCaprio - (Please Read First Post Prior to Posting)
Thumbnail

moiselles

2 minutes ago, Jade Bahr said:

How is Titanic a fairytale? There are dying thousands including well the male main part lol

For me it have a fairytale vibe despite the tragic ending. Beautiful wonderful story of great love, however I prefer movies with opposite vibes. Nevermind it's just me🤷🏼‍♀️

7 minutes ago, Jade Bahr said:

@akatoshI love Shailene. Most people think she's weird (at least I read it most of the time about her) but I really like her (work) 😍

How on earth is Titanic a fairytale? There are dying thousands including well the male main part lol The true hero here is of course Rose. There is barely another massive successful blockbuster about a female heroine, so I really can't unverstand how you can't love this movie where a woman is literally saying fuck you to everyone who's treaten her badly. It's a movie about surviving. Not only the sinking but a (womans) life with so many (socially) bounderies.

I agree. Titanic is and will forever be my favourite movie. It's certainly not a fairy tale. Rose is just such a role model and strong character. At that time a female heroine was really rare. This also shows in the car scene after they made love. She was the one holding Jack in her arms. Most of the time it's the man holding the vulnerable woman.

titanicscene.webp

^

tumblr_pkev3oChLR1vy2m3io1_400.gifv tumblr_pkev3oChLR1vy2m3io2_400.gifv

Titanic Meta 1/∞
The “put your hands on me” line was never just a cheesy line initiating a love scene. This line is a direct callback to what Cal tells Jack in the beginning of the film: in the first scene, Cal is the one in control. What he means is that he is the only one allowed to touch Rose, because he looks at Rose as his property. Rose has no say on the matter - Cal is the one making that decision for her, he’s the one with the power. So when Rose tells Jack to put his hands on her, she is taking that power back. She is claiming control of herself, because it’s her body and she is the only one who gets to decide who can and cannot touch her.
Source

Sry but who's saying this movie is just "another cheesy" love story isn't paying attention AT ALL. I'm not saying it isn't a romantic love story (it is of course) but it's more than this. It's a story about a strong woman full of symbolism, feminism, parallels and metas in a time where men's society didn't want women to be strong. You just have to sit down and pay attention to Rose' story. Because it is her story. For me Jack always was more or less her romantic wingman who helped her to not just to find her inner strength but to live it. She doesn't really need him. He's the 'kick off' to her freedom but never the main reason. That's always her.

6 minutes ago, Jade Bahr said:

Sry but who's saying this movie is just "another cheesy" love story isn't paying attention AT ALL.

I didn't say it's 'another cheesy' story. If I'm not a fan it doesn't mean I think it's sucks. Many people think I disrespect Leo and Kate being not a fan of Titanic. It's ok to have different opinion, even if the movie considered iconic masterpiece (and I'm agree with it) and it has raised such a huge fandom.

^You don't have to be a fan of the movie nor to like it. We are just discussing here the story of a rare female main character who are most people don't give enough credit to be so much more than "a fairytale love story" because Rose doesn't need a freaking man/hero to live her life fullifly by her dreams and whishes and expectations. She is her own freaking hero. If you missed that you missed the whole point of the movie. It's clearly not a simple fairytale. Actually if you see it that way Titanic is more realistic than most typcial so called "hollywood loves stories". Because what is always the typical happy ending for the female character in those movies? Riiiiight, to get her damn man lol

Titanic is different from all that. It's far away from being cheesy or shallow - at least not in the main message. Maybe the implemenatation of J. Cameron is sometimes a bit cheesy I'm not denying it :D

That's my whole point ;)

This is btw why I never understood Leo is acting like a fool when it comes to this movie. It's the most feministic thing he's ever done as an actor (being the pretty side piece of a strong woman) and that long before #metoo and all that shit. He should be fucking proud of it.

^Like this. Read it (read both of the metas I posted) and then tell me you don't see those scenes in a whole new perspective.

tumblr_pohg7hmZQ91vy2m3io1_540.gifv

tumblr_pohg7hmZQ91vy2m3io2_540.gifv

tumblr_pohg7hmZQ91vy2m3io3_r1_540.gifv

tumblr_pohg7hmZQ91vy2m3io4_540.gifv

tumblr_pohg7hmZQ91vy2m3io5_540.gifv

Titanic Meta 2/∞
Much like with the rest of the film, there is much more about this Titanic scene than just the romantic smooch that popular culture loves to reduce it to. For her whole life, Rose has been denied freedom under the restraints of her surroundings. Her own mother and Cal have put her in a cage, metaphorically cutting her wings by expecting her to conform to patriarchal expections without question. So when Jack asks her to step up over the railing and spreads her arms, he is symbolically spreading her wings. He is opening that cage she’s been trapped in, and showing her that she can be free. She can fly... and fly she does.  
Source

1 hour ago, Jade Bahr said:

^Like this. Read it (read both of the metas I posted) and then tell me you don't see those scenes in a whole new perspective.

tumblr_pohg7hmZQ91vy2m3io1_540.gifv

tumblr_pohg7hmZQ91vy2m3io2_540.gifv

tumblr_pohg7hmZQ91vy2m3io3_r1_540.gifv

tumblr_pohg7hmZQ91vy2m3io4_540.gifv

tumblr_pohg7hmZQ91vy2m3io5_540.gifv

Titanic Meta 2/∞
Much like with the rest of the film, there is much more about this Titanic scene than just the romantic smooch that popular culture loves to reduce it to. For her whole life, Rose has been denied freedom under the restraints of her surroundings. Her own mother and Cal have put her in a cage, metaphorically cutting her wings by expecting her to conform to patriarchal expections without question. So when Jack asks her to step up over the railing and spreads her arms, he is symbolically spreading her wings. He is opening that cage she’s been trapped in, and showing her that she can be free. She can fly... and fly she does.  
Source

There's really something to it I can't deny. Maybe I need to rewatch it after 5 years 

Thanks everyone for the news, pics, videos and posts!

I'll say this about Titanic:  I did like that it was Rose taking charge in rescuing Jack, etc. and basically telling Cal off (Jack never had his moment to do that); she was a liberated woman of her time. She was willing to accept the risk because she wasn't going to let her mother, her fiancé, society tell her what to do anymore.

I bet the first thing Rose probably did when she went back home was throw all of those damn uncomfortable corsets away :tongue:

Yes, Jack's very important, but he happened to be the handsome dreamy guy who's the perfect boyfriend that some of us in our youthful naïveté imagined, so I can see a 14 year old falling in love with Jack (and we all now know as adults that is not true in real life 😄)

Being with him was a pleasurable and beautiful experience Rose got to experience along with her becoming her own woman.  So the heroine got the guy, for a short while, but he was unforgettable for her for life.

2 hours ago, Jade Bahr said:

^

tumblr_pkev3oChLR1vy2m3io1_400.gifv tumblr_pkev3oChLR1vy2m3io2_400.gifv

Titanic Meta 1/∞
The “put your hands on me” line was never just a cheesy line initiating a love scene. This line is a direct callback to what Cal tells Jack in the beginning of the film: in the first scene, Cal is the one in control. What he means is that he is the only one allowed to touch Rose, because he looks at Rose as his property. Rose has no say on the matter - Cal is the one making that decision for her, he’s the one with the power. So when Rose tells Jack to put his hands on her, she is taking that power back. She is claiming control of herself, because it’s her body and she is the only one who gets to decide who can and cannot touch her.
Source

Sry but who's saying this movie is just "another cheesy" love story isn't paying attention AT ALL. I'm not saying it isn't a romantic love story (it is of course) but it's more than this. It's a story about a strong woman full of symbolism, feminism, parallels and metas in a time where men's society didn't want women to be strong. You just have to sit down and pay attention to Rose' story. Because it is her story. For me Jack always was more or less her romantic wingman who helped her to not just to find her inner strength but to live it. She doesn't really need him. He's the 'kick off' to her freedom but never the main reason. That's always her.

You make a compelling case of this epic story. 🙃 

^Thx. I can discuss the sh!t out of this movie and I'm tired of people telling me it's just a random love story on a big boat with handsome faced Leo (which his face is of course 😋). But gosh, the movie IS NOT ABOUT Jack Dawson.

a01cb4633038274434f309fa7f2701b2dbacfe73

I know I'm repeating myself but when I watched this movie the first time as a young innocent girl (of course I felt in love with Jack LOL) but like @akatosh said Rose was such an inspirational strong female character. She literally blew me away with her courage, her lack of fear, her SPIRIT, her beauty and her fiery red locks (see another little symbolism since Jack is recognizing her fire right away loose and wildly in the wind of a free spirit - the mess she is here it's the closest to her true self she probably ever was before).

28604d0f0a388c54d0c576f0cb4b3f08a0791878

I mean she started her journey as being this wealthy woman with a luxurious life. From a materialistic perspective, she has everything. But despite that, despite being a “spoiled little brat” (as Jack puts it), she is deeply unhappy due to the oppressive social expectations of 1912 that prevent her from being the free-spirited artist that she’s always longed to be. It makes sense then that Rose’s journey goes from “hopeless, depressed woman who attempts suicide” to “woman who finds the will to live and frees herself from those who oppress her”. This character development is damn inspiring in itself.

She lived her life to the fullest, she made it count. 

77ca9ea375966930304bc1ef753ee45e485611d5

And because she made it count, because she lived her life honoring the precious sacrifice Jack did for her, he is now waiting for her at the clock - just as he did back in 1912 - only this time so they can spend eternity together.  

5468504ea4b8b8b208875a9c44cc5c334b2e5819

This not only is insanely romantic, it’s also super inspiring to me. This is a woman who started her journey by trying to commit suicide, but found her own strength in love, rebelled against an insanely oppressive system that was making her miserable and preventing her from being the person she wanted to be and from leading the life she wanted. 

Jack dies for her because he knows that Rose - unlike him - has never truly been alive until that point. She has spent a life imprisoned by social expectations where she was forced to play the part of flawless first class puppet woman. Jack knows she’s never been able to cherish the true gift that being alive is and he wants her to have a chance at happiness and freedom, even if he won’t be there to be part of it. 

And Rose knows this, values it and carries it on with her for her entire life because she won’t let him die in vain. She truly never lets go. She frees herself by faking her own death in a very obvious ‘fuck off’ to everyone who’s oppressed her, gives up every single thing she has and starts a brand new life from scratch where being happy and going after her dreams are her only goals - because life is way too short and precious for us to not do exactly that. That is Jack’s legacy and she carries and honors it until her very last breath.

7511e2c47996c1e73eccfa181e6ed7d2f02421f9

And let’s not talk about the fact this woman gave up every.single.thing she had in order to start a new life where she could control her own fate, free of all the impositions that had been forced on her until then.

After the sinking, Rose arrived in New York with nothing but the clothes she was wearing, a new name and a broken heart...and a 56-carat diamond necklace in her pocket worth millions of dollars.

And yet... She never sold it. Even when she had nothing. And that’s inspiring and empowering AF.

As she says in the alternate ending (this is why I like the alternate ending better even though the implementation IS cheesy as hell lol):

b848abbc50a1ede5887bfca72b7dadecb7e90ceb

It was so easy for pennyless Rose Dawson to arrive in New York, sell the diamond and get settled for life, and absolutely no one would have judged her for it, but she knew that doing so would undermine the lesson that she learnt from Jack: that wealth doesn’t matter anywhere near as much as living authentically, by following your dreams and by being the person you want to be.

Cal had bought her the diamond in an attempt to further trap her into the dutiful housewife role, to mark her as his property. As such, any money she'd get from selling the diamond would always be money that he had indirectly provided to her. But Rose couldn’t let that happen - despite her precarious situation, she refused to benefit from the materialistic symbol of her oppression. In other words: integrity. And ultimately that is why I absolutely love her. 

So I ask you again from a woman's point of view HOW CAN YOU NOT ADMIRE this female powerhouse of a character in a world where (still) most of the time Jack would be the hero of the story???

tumblr_psnc5z49hO1tkodheo4_540.gifv

How is she not the brightest kicking asses role model of all hollywood blockbuster ever made??? I mean she's mocking about men's small penisses like a boss lmao

tumblr_psnc5z49hO1tkodheo1_540.gifv

And if that's not the biggest line of saying FUCK YOU to an abusive, over controlling, dumb asshole in cinema history I don't know what it is.

tumblr_psnc5z49hO1tkodheo3_540.gifv

She's fucking iconic that's what she is. Not only to me but to millions of people till today. She's better than every marvel or dc hero could ever be. She's the one with the goddamn axe to save her man.

d4130196c2f8e1fdc955d989fb8195a2.jpg

I could talk endlessly about her :p

0254fb3d1f82881e499d1d0644d6b421e831dcd4

I'am not a big fan of Titanic either, don't hate me, lol. I like the movie, love Leo and Kate together, but I'am certainly not obsessed about it and it's ok, not everyone needs to love the movie, but I recognize it became iconic and kind of a classic. 

Anyway, I prefer other Leo movies, Titanic is probably far behind on my list of fave Leo movies. 

But yeah, I will have to agree @Jade Bahrthat this movie is about Rose and how brave she was.