Bellazon

Leonardo DiCaprio - (Please Read First Post Prior to Posting)
Thumbnail

moiselles

So very glad  to hear that the Killers of the Flower Moon financing has finally been settled :thumbsup: 

Apple To Team With Paramount On Scorsese-DiCaprio-De Niro Drama ‘Killers Of The Flower Moon’

EXCLUSIVE: Deadline hears that the tug of war over one of the highest profile films in Hollywood is about over. Apple will win the derby for the Martin Scorsese-directed film Killers Of The Flower Moon, with Leonardo DiCaprio and Martin Scorsese in the lead roles. The deals are being papered, but I’m told when they are, it will be an Apple original film, and Paramount will distribute theatrically worldwide.

Paramount had long ago acquired the project from Imperative Entertainment, but in recent weeks had allowed Scorsese and DiCaprio’s manager Rick Yorn to shop it around. Sources said that the studio was nervous about a price tag of $180 million to $200 million after tax credits from an Oklahoma location shoot, and studio brass liked the original Eric Roth draft better than the rewrite. Once Paramount allowed Yorn to take it to market, all studios from Universal to MGM and streamers including Scorsese’s The Irishman backer Netflix and Apple, have been chasing.

The deal, which calls for Apple to finance and become the creative studio, gives the movie a hybrid situation and the best of both worlds. The film will get a wide theatrical release through Paramount before it becomes the biggest film title so far on Apple’s streaming service. A big priority was for this a large scale Western and that was important to Scorsese, DiCaprio, De Niro and the film’s producers Dan Friedkin and Bradley Thomas at Imperative.

It’s the second huge movie deal for Apple, which Deadline recently revealed acquired Greyhound, the WWII film that stars Tom Hanks, who wrote the script. Clearly, Apple is making its move.

Killers Of The Flower Moon Doubleday

Killers of the Flower Moon has had a large profile since Imperative’s Friedkin and Thomas put the company on the map five years ago by outbidding the field to pay $5 million for the David Grann book Killers Of The Flower Moon: The Osage Murders And The Birth Of The FBI. The book is a mystery about a series of murders of wealthy Osage Native Americans in Oklahoma in the early 1920s, after oil deposits were discovered beneath their land. The ensuing investigation established the FBI and was a pivotal moment in the evolution of America from its frontier era.

Roth wrote the script and Scorsese and DiCaprio signed on early, with De Niro agreeing to join later. This is landmark stuff, Scorsese joining together his two most important acting collaborators, who haven’t worked together meaningfully in a film since This Boy’s Life, a breakout turn for DiCaprio, who has credited De Niro with showing him the possibilities that hard work could mean to an emerging actor/superstar.

9 hours ago, oxford25 said:

So very glad  to hear that the Killers of the Flower Moon financing has finally been settled :thumbsup: 

Thank God for that I was worried it was gonna be produced by netflix and it wouldn’t gonna be released theatrically  :thumbsup:

I sure hope that Leo doesn’t sign on to MCkay’s movie I’m not really a huge fan and the concept of the project isn’t promising tbh 🙄

It's interesting that every time Leo (or his movie projects) are having a hard time to be financed. I mean Leo didn't have a box office flop since what --- 2010? He made The Revenant a huge box office hit (what I still can't believe lol). So how can people still doubting about his box office power? :D

Not sure about the Adam McKay movie (only saw The Big Short) but I would love to see Leo next to JLaw :drool2:

Barbie

Yes , I see they claim Leo was considering McKay / Lawrence project , but like Lucky Girl, looking at the film synopsis  it doesn’t sound very interesting to me 

Jade

I don’t perceive the studio’s reluctance as being focused on Leo’s  box office drawing power, but rather on the fact that they want to focus on films that appeal to the masses & give them better odds to turn a profit and generally dramas are not big favorites with the masses 

Or dare I say their “eye” is on easy “profit “ more than on “quality” :p 

But as time after time has shown if anyone can draw audiences into a drama it is Leo 

LuckyGirl

Like you I much prefer to see Leo’s next film in a theater versus tv streaming channel :) 

Barbie

The rumored budget of close to 200 million is a puzzlement to me as well

I’ve read the book and none of the book locales require elaborate sets , etc 

From my understanding Pawhuska, Oklahoma ( the main setting in the book & where there have been rumored to be filming ) is still a small rural town surrounded by large ranches which fits with locales needed for the settings in book 

I just hope before too long we get some idea of when actual filming might begin 

On a different topic I wonder if the Nightmare Alley project that at one time Leo was attached to if they had completed filming on that film prior to lockdown 

This article I just read from Forbes touches on what I said earlier , that Parmount or any studio's hesitancy to finance "Killer" has more to do with the genre of film it is = drama rather than Leo's ability to draw in an audience

Why Apple And Paramount Teaming Up For Martin Scorsese And Leonardo DiCaprio’s ‘Killers Of The Flower Moon’ Is A Win/Win

Martin Scorsese, Leonardo DiCaprio and Robert De Niro's Killers of the Flower Moon will get a conventional theatrical release courtesy of Paramount before becoming a streaming event for Apple TV+.

So sayeth Deadline and the other various trades, a deal for Martin Scorsese’s mega-budget adaptation of Killers of the Flower Moon has been reached. Based on David Grann’s non-fiction book, the Eric Roth-penned film would detail an early FBI investigation in 1920’s Oklahoma concerning a string of murders of wealthy Osage Indians who had been granted revenue rights to oil discovered under their lands. Paramount was allegedly willing to produce and distribute the picture, even with a $180 million price-tag, but when the budget allegedly went to $200 million (and potentially above), they understandably got cold feet.

Even with Leonardo DiCaprio headlining this one alongside Robert De Niro, that figure would require a miracle to recoup in today’s global theatrical marketplace. Apple will handle the budget, operating as the film’s creative home, and will present the film as a major Apple TV+ streaming event. But its streaming debut will be preceded by Paramount giving it a conventional theatrical release. It was the promise of a global theatrical play that likely tipped the scales from Netflix (which distributed The Irishman via a limited theatrical release prior to its streaming launch) to Apple.

Paramount gets a super-duper prestigious theatrical offering without any real need to remotely justify that over/under $200 million production budget. Apple TV gets another huge movie which will look rather snazzy alongside their recent acquisition, for $70 million, of Tom Hanks’ Greyhound which they bought from Sony just last week. They also co-produced, with A24, Sofia Coppola’s On the Rocks starring Bill Murray. This really is a win/win for all parties, and the kind of entirely positive movie news that almost doesn’t exist anymore.

Even with DiCaprio co-starring with Robert De Niro in a Scorsese crime melodrama, a movie like Killers of the Flower Moon would never have justified a $180-$220 million budget via conventional theatrical metrics. At even $180 million, even numbers equal to The Revenant ($183 million domestic and $532 million worldwide in 2015/2016, or DiCaprio’s third-biggest global grosser behind Inception and Titanic) wouldn’t cut it.  

Quentin Tarantino’s $90 million-budgeted Once Upon a Time in Hollywood opened with $41 million; legging out to $142 million domestic and $374 million worldwide. Whether or not it would have topped $400 million had it played in China as originally intended (its release was canceled at the last minute, for reasons that still remain shrouded in rumor), Once Upon a Time in Hollywood had Leonardo DiCaprio in a lead role, rave reviews, strong legs, terrific buzz and even won Brad Pitt his first acting Oscar. But that film wouldn’t have been profitable had it cost anywhere near what Killers of the Flower Moon is allegedly to be costing.  

This isn’t to say that such a film shouldn’t exist at that budgetary level or that Hollywood should only make preordained franchise-friendly blockbusters, but the extent to which moviegoers won’t necessarily show up for non-event movies makes me more sympathetic than most to Paramount being gun-shy. They have suffered worst of all from the “new normal” whereby IP, franchises and marquee characters are the primary drivers of theatrical moviegoing over movie stars and high concepts. That the MCU was culled from the Paramount blockbuster action thriller template is insult to injury.

This isn’t to say that such a film shouldn’t exist at that budgetary level or that Hollywood should only make preordained franchise-friendly blockbusters, but the extent to which moviegoers won’t necessarily show up for non-event movies makes me more sympathetic than most to Paramount being gun-shy. They have suffered worst of all from the “new normal” whereby IP, franchises and marquee characters are the primary drivers of theatrical moviegoing over movie stars and high concepts. That the MCU was culled from the Paramount blockbuster action thriller template is insult to injury.

When folks don’t show up to All the Money in the World, it’s hard to fault Sony for hiring Jason Reitman for Ghostbusters: Afterlife. This solves that pesky problem of “Will folks show up?” Since Apple TV is currently chasing subscribers and prestige, they win as long as the movie is halfway decent and drives positive media coverage along with subscriptions. Ditto for Paramount. They may not see the film as a blockbuster-sized hit.  However, considering they won’t be on the hook for the whole budget, they will likely look it as a prestige and awards-friendly release while staying in the Scorsese business.

I don’t want to make too much out of a single deal featuring a publicity-hungry streaming service, one of the world’s most celebrated filmmakers and the last true blue Hollywood movie star, but this feels like a safe plan going forward for big movies that aren’t as commercially viable as they might have been 15-30 years ago (to the extent that an $180 million crime thriller was ever a safe commercial play) but still deserve or “require” a theatrical exhibition. If this pulls halfway decent theatrical numbers and/or wins a bunch of Oscars, well, that’s even better.

This “Paramount for theaters, Apple TV for streaming” deal, which puts most of the financial burden on Apple (which doesn’t depend on budget-and-marketing versus global box office rate-of-return) is a potential solution. Apple TV will have established itself as a place for big movies whose filmmakers still want an old-school theatrical release, and Paramount still gets to be the place for movies like this.  At the very least, this is an “everybody wins” deal for anyone interesting in Martin Scorsese’s Killers of the Flower Moon.

That's great that the film got financing! Leo is drawn to dramas, and studios prefer the big PG-13 type of mass audience films. Many of us like the adult dramas, though.

Thanks so much Barbie and ox! Leo was so cute as a toddler, with his pinchable chubby cheeks :blush:

Thanks all for pics & news.

Great for the financing. I trust Leo when it comes to choosing a movie. I know it'll be great :excited:

I watched Catch me If You Can last week and forgot how much I like this movie and how great Leo was in it (and cute!!). I'ld like to see him and Tom Hanks do a movie together again.

I have a question to all who have read the book: Is this new role Leo is now playing in "Killers of the Flower Moon" a character from the actual book? Or is the movie now going more like "Body Of Lies" did (which was almost nothing like the book anymore)?

Without reading the book I would say this new direction sounds more interesting/deeper/difficult than the usual FBI agent tries to catch the bad guy thing (at least for Leo as an actor who loves putting his fine ass through a hard time with some intense personal sh!t his character is having).

8Cyb.gif

When-You-Ask-Re-Create-Least-1-Scene-Fro

gif-of-leonardo-dicaprio-crying-in-the-d

1500312815_leonardo-dicaprio-angry.gif

tumblr_inline_n6pmvswIJm1r5fazy.gif

leonardo-dicaprio-no-vaping-upset.gif

OYYJ.gif

tenor.gif?itemid=7910101

tenor.gif?itemid=12133112

b0a140574e50b9eeb5ddb50e41e2d1e746a15ecf

sickworld.thumb.gif.97f1fe3854a7707e0f2ecd57a279eef6.gif

Jade

As Barbie knows weeks ago I was aware of Leo's role change, and at the time I told her , I was a fan of switch of  roles :thumbsup: 

Yes, the  person Leo would be playing is a real  person in this true story of the  investigation of the numerous Osage murders after the tribe  became quite wealthy due to oil finds on their land 

Cannes virtual

Also while there might not be a regular Cannes film  festival this year ,  the link below allows you to watch the virtual Cannes film festival that begins Friday 

https://ew.com/movies/film-festivals/youtube-we-are-one-global-film-festival-lineup/?did=529831-20200530&utm_campaign=ewk-movies_newsletter&utm_source=ew.com&utm_medium=email&utm_content=053020&cid=529831&mid=34646715035