Bellazon

Leonardo DiCaprio - (Please Read First Post Prior to Posting)
Thumbnail

moiselles

Lucky  LA fans have an opportunity to see Once  in advance

ArcLight Hollywood Hosts Exclusive Advance Screenings Of "Once Upon a Time… in Hollywood" in Historic Cinerama Dome as Part of ArcLight Presents… "Once Upon a… Tarantino" Film Series Tribute

HOLLYWOOD, Calif., July 5, 2019 /PRNewswire/ -- In advance of the nationwide release of "Once Upon a Time… in Hollywood," the highly anticipated ninth film from Quentin Tarantino, ArcLight Hollywood celebrates with ArcLight Presents… "Once Upon a… Tarantino," a three-day film series tribute to the writer-director, showcasing his entire filmography throughout the weekend of July 19-21.  The celebration culminates with exclusive advance screenings of "Once Upon a Time… in Hollywood" on July 20 and 21 at the historic Cinerama Dome.  

I don't think this was already posted? The Premiere magazine interview:

Facing the press, Leonardo DiCaprio and Brad Pitt act a little like their Once Upon a Time… in Hollywood characters, Rick Dalton and Cliff Booth, during the black and white interview that opens the movie (and that we saw in the first trailer): DiCaprio is at the front, leaning toward his counterpart, focused and invested, determined to promote (in the most noble sense of the word) his art and his work; Pitt, sits back, relaxed, sipping a Coke on the couch, interspersing the conversation nonchalantly with his drawling voice. Before suddenly sitting up and holding your gaze, daring you to look away.

Leonardo DiCaprio and Brad Pitt act like Rick Dalton and Cliff Booth even if they are, at first glance, nothing like them. The (anti) heroes of Quentin Tarantino’s new movie are toilers of the Hollywood industry. A has-been tv actor, slightly alcoholic (DiCaprio) and his out of work stuntman, now driver and gofer (Pitt). The writer of Pulp Fiction created these characters to praise the nobility of the . or forgotten craftsman in the entertainment industry, the value of the outsiders living at the bottom of Mount Olympus – symbolised in the film by Sharon Tate and Roman Polanski’s house on Cielo Drive. This same house that, in the summer of 1969, was invaded by Charles Manson’s crazy disciples on a night of horror that changed the course of American history, precipitating the en of the 1960s and the hippie dream.

Leonardo DiCaprio and Brad Pitt also live on Mount Olympus: they’re superstars, real ones, maybe even the last ones. Practically the only ones in Hollywood who refuse to play the games of gossip and spandex, perpetuating an idea of Hollywood stardom that used to be, fittingly, in 1969 when Paul Newman and Robert Redford starred in Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid (citing one of the most irresistible „buddy movies“ of all time, which was also, incedentally, the very first movie Quentin Tarantino watched, in Hollywood at the age of 6, at the mythical Grauman’s Chinese Theater). If Tarantino brought together two of today’s most in-demand stars to play an actor and his stuntman, it’s also for the parallels of their careers, of their auras and their status: both handsome and blond, slightly different ages (Leonardo was born in 1974, Brad in 1963) but finding fame at the same time in the 1990s, and since persuing careers almost exclusively driven by their preference for writer-directors (Scorsese, Spielberg, Nolan, Fincher, Cameron, Eastwood, Malick, the Coens, Zemeckis, Ridley Scott, Inarritu…) and by in ideal of timeless American cinema.

Première: You both had already worked with Tarantino before Once Upon a Time… in Hollywood. So, when he’s working on his next film, do you try to find out what he’s working on? And if there will be something for you in it?

Leonardo DiCaprio: I think that all movie lovers everywhere are curious to know what Tarantino is working on, no? In this respect, he reminds me of Kubrick. Do you remember the times when everyone waited with bated breath between two Kubrick movies, wondering what he could possibly come up with for the next one? Quentin is in the same situation today: he isolates himself for three, four or five years and comes back offering something new and unique – which is, this time, a page of Hollywood history envisioned like a fairytale. Certainly we, the actors, are very curious to find out what he’ll pull out of his hat. But we leave him alone. We just hope to get THE phone call, the one telling us that we’re welcome in his world, his kaleidoscopic mind.

Première: And when you get the phone call…

Brad Pitt: We’re invited to his house to read the script. Quentin was a little mad after the Hateful Eight incident (the script was leaked _ and Tarantino almost gave up on the project), so he’s become wary – rightly so. Now, you go see him, the script is waiting for you on the patio, you sit down, read it and then we talk about it. What made me laugh, is that I went back a second time, a few months later and the script was still there but bent, damaged, with coffee stains on it… I saw that quite a few people had been on the patio!

Leo: Quentin has a small group of trustworthy people around him with whom he loves to talk about film, to think about what he’s written and the direction his next movie will go in. He keeps it fiercely secret, he doesn’t want his screenplay to make its way around town. It makes things easier. Then, when the working process really gets going, is when your „apprenticeship“ starts! The first step, where I’m concerned, was to discover this world of 1950s television, which I knew absolutely nothing about. Quentin taught me about actors who I didn’t know, or very little about, who changed my view of the history of Hollywood.

Première: Who, for example?

Leo: Ralph Meeker (actor in Kiss Me Deadly or The Dirty Dozen). He’s one of the great forgotten heroes of Hollywood. The movie pays tribute to guys like him, reflects on the way the industry treated them and on the impact their work had on Quentin. So, when Quentin starts singing Ralph Meeker’s praises you tell yourself, „Ok, I’m going to check out his work!“ And I watched everything I could find. Quentin is a living database, he knows the history of film by heart, B movies…

Brad: Of television, too…

Leo: And music!

Brad: The attention to detail in this movie is unbelievable. He rebuilt the Hollywood Boulevard of 1969. But not with special effects, no. He wants it to be real, true. Old school. He doesn’t play. „We’re going to do it, we’ll make it happen!“ We never see such a level of sophistication and accuracy in movies: the ads on the back of buses, the posters, books at the library…

Leo: Details that will sometimes appear for a fraction of a second on screen, but that we know are there. And contribute to immersing you in this world.

Première: Brad, a few years ago you were asked what your favorite tv series was, and you talked about this western that you watched as a child, Alias Smith and Jones. I thought about it a lot while watching Once Upon a Time… in Hollywood because it’s the kind of show Rick Dalton, Leonardo’s character, could star in…

Brad: Yes, it was sort of a television copy of Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid. I loved that show. It left a permanent mark on me because one of the stars of the show, Pete Duel, who played Smith, killed himself. I was young, and it devastated me. The idea that this really cool man, my hero, would want to give up on life… I couldn’t understand. I talked to Quentin about it, and it happens that not only was it one of his favorite shows too, but that he’d also been devastated by this man’s death.

Leo: It was really enriching for me to listen to this conversation between Brad and Quentin. They had the same cultural reference, but most importantly they’d had the same emotional reaction following this actor’s death. I didn’t know anything about that part of television history, so it helped me. I started to understand who Rick Dalton was: a working actor, certainly, but haunted by demons, by past events. Around him, television is changing, cinema is changing, the culture is changing, and he’s slowly starting to feel like a dinosaur.

Première: You are two immense movie stars, but you, too, have been up-and-coming actors, going to auditions. Did you have moments of hopelessness?

Brad: My first audition! (Laughs). I think it was for The Accused. I was so excited. I went to the audition, then I went home and waited, waited… Late in the evening, my agent finally called me. I couldn’t stand still: „So? So? What did they say?“ There was silence, then she finally said, „Have you ever thought about taking acting classes?“

Leo: Ouch!

Brad: I’d been taking classes for a year and a half! It crushed me. Then, a few hours later, I started hoping again. „Ok, I’ll do what I have to, I’ll take classes, I’ll get turned down by casting directors.“ But you know, these feelings that the movie talks about are not specific to actors. Doubt, the search for meaning, this continuous fight between this voice in your head telling you, „You’re nothing but a piece of S***, you’re going to die, everything is meaningless“, and these moments when you find inner piece… it’s universal.

Leo: As members of this industry, we know that 99% of the people who work in it have to deal with the fact that they’ll be rejected at one time or another. You have to be at the right place at the right time: it’s the law of the trade. And Rick Dalton feels the things Brad is talking about, to the extreme. His lack of self-confidence emphasizes his fear of death. Of course, we don’t go through the same things he does in our professional lives, but we’ve been in Los Angeles long enough to intimately understand what the movie talks about.

Première: When did you see the light at the end of the tunnel? When did you realise, „Ok, it’s going to be fine“?

Leo: Honestly, I owe my career to Growing Pains, and especially to Alan Thicke. I was cast full time on the last season of the show and that year, I’d also auditioned for This Boy’s Life. All the young actors in town had auditioned. Me, my friend Tobey Maguire, everyone! And I was chosen. Can you imagine? Acting opposite Robert De Niro? At 15? Except that I was under contract, there were two episodes of Growing Pains left to shoot. And Alan Thicke said, „Let the kid go. Let him film the movie. It’s going to complicate the schedule but we’ll be fine.“

Brad: Wow!

Leo: God bless him. I will be eternally grateful to him. I really felt like I’d just won the lottery. It was my chance to make movies.

Brad: I dreamed of making movies too. I grew up in the Bible Belt, and movies allowed me to escape. They taught me that another world existed, out there, farther away. And when I arrived in LA, when I got my chance, I ended up acting in sitcoms. I couldn’t do it. I was bad, I didn’t know how to do it, and it didn’t interest me. Then came Thelma and Louise… Someone had already been cast but he left to make another movie, so they called me in for an audition. I gave everything I had, because I knew that it was my chance, a role for me, I felt it: I was from Oklahoma, I knew this type of guy. The casting director calls me back for another audition, everything seems to work and… They cast someone else! F***… (he acts crushed) Two months later, miracle, another phone call: the guy they cast didn’t work out, I forget why. Filming had been underway for a week, they called me in, I read with Geena Davis…

Leo: And the rest is history!

Brad: It’s a crazy feeling, like a baseball player making the big leagues.

Leo: What Rick Dalton doesn’t necessarily understand, is that there’s always hope. A chance.

Brad: A chance of Polanski moving in next door!

Première: Brad, you talked about your sitcom years. You were also on Growing Pains, if I’m not mistaken.

Brad: Yes, in a few episodes, but it was before Leonardo’s time there I think. We didn’t cross paths at the time. Did we?

Leo: I don’t think so. The first time I saw you was on a movie screen. We must have met in the mid-90s.

Brad: Probably around the time of Gilbert Grape.

Leo: I was told that there’s a picture…

Brad: We’ll have to find it.

Leo: And date it in Carbon-14!

Première: Once Upon a Time… in Hollywood is different than the two movies you filmed with Tarantino, Inglorious Basterds and Django Unchained. Less literary, less outrageous, closer to the melancholic mood of Jackie Brown. Was it different for you also?

Brad: Jackie Brown is a good reference. Me, I see the movie as more of a confluence of all his previous movie, sort of a sum. And mainly, I think it’s a tender, caring movie, even though it talks about a very dark time in our history, the Manson family’s acts of violence – if we can call it a family. It leaves you with a heavy heart.

Leo: It’s really a story about friendship.

Brad: I see Rick and Cliff as two sides of one coin. By the way we could say the same thing about both of us as actors. We could almost have switched roles.

Leo: Mostly I love the idea of Quentin using the image of these two outsiders to declare his love to a period of time in the history of cinema that was fundamental for him. 1969 is a rebirth for American filmmaking. And a transitional time for the world, too. We could fill entire pages if we listed everything that happened that year.

Première: Brad and Quentin were little boys in 1969 but you, Leonardo, weren’t born yet…

Leo: No, but my parents were hippies. They’re still hippies, by the way! (Laughs)
Brad: They’ve told you about all that, right?

Leo: Yes, they talk about it: the end of innocence, of their ideals, of dreams of peace and love that they had then. Of what this time meant culturally. Of the way that this evil figure [Charles Manson] manipulated young people, and brought about a climate of fear and paranoia that still exists today. It’s a fascinating story.

Première: The movie chronicles a pivotal time in the history of the industry, and is being released at a time when said industry is once again undergoing tremendous change. Do you recognize the field in which you started your careers?

Leo: In some aspects, the industry is a lot more interesting than when we started and in some others, um…a lot less! (Laughs). I don’t want to speak for Brad…

Brad: Try anyway!

Leo: We all worry about what will become of cinema as envisioned by the great filmmakers, of what will become of movie theaters themselves, the shared experience that they offer. It’s not the same thing to watch a Tarantino movie in public and to watch it alone on an iPhone. But, today, if I’m really passionate about a project, I can go knock on the door of one of these giant streaming companies that spend colossal amounts of money. Thanks to them, certain movies today are easier to finance than even just 5 years ago. They want to shake the industry, to take risks, and I don’t think any of us know where all this will lead. I just hope that, if they’re able to convince all the great filmmakers to come work for them, that they’ll also allow them the possibily to release their movies in theaters. Reaching, thanks to streaming, a huge number of people, while preserving the theater experience, is undoubtedly the solution. In the end, it could be a win-win for everyone.

Première: You were saying recently that you were surprised by the amount of young actors who are starting out in the industry and don’t even know „The Godfather“.

Leo: It’s the first thing I tell up-and-comers who ask me for advice: watch what was done before you. I don’t pretend to be as big of a film buff as Quentin is, but… to be an actor, you have to at least love movies a little bit.

Brad: Know the classics.

Leo: The bar was set faily high. As the saying goes: We stand on the shoulders of giants.

Source

Some pix from Gatsby set that I've never seen 

file5-1.png thumbnail_file1-13.png thumbnail_file2-9.png thumbnail_file3-8.png thumbnail_file-18.png

Leolover

Tks for Leo /July 4th vid :) 

You have to give props to that person as that is the only picture I've seen of Leo at the annual Fourth of July party , otherwise, we would not have known he attended the party 

Jade

We do appreciate the man making sure we can clearly see Rick Dalton :p

Leo: I don't think so. The first time I saw you was on a movie screen. We must have met in the mid-90s.

Brad: Probably around the time of Gilbert Grape.

Leo: I was told that there's a picture...

Brad: We'll have to find it.

Leo: And date it in Carbon-14!

What is Leo meaning with Carbon-14? I don't get it :D

Jade

Carbon - 14 dating is a method used for determining the age of something that is most used for determine age/ time frame for fossils 

Perhaps Leo used that reference as a joke that the pic of then was from so LONG ago they may need to use that method to determine the date it was taken :idk: 

7 minutes ago, oxford25 said:

Jade

Carbon - 14 dating is a method used for determining the age of something that is most used for determine age/ time frame for fossils 

Perhaps Leo used that reference as a joke that the pic of then was from so LONG ago they may need to use that method to determine the date it was taken :idk: 

Lmao.  :laugh: