Bellazon

Leonardo DiCaprio - (Please Read First Post Prior to Posting)
Thumbnail

moiselles

After turning The Revenant into a huge box office hit people are still questioning Leo's on screen power?

Tarantino's 'Once Upon A Time In Hollywood' Looks Great, But Will Adults Show Up For It?

Sony is launching the marketing campaign for Columbia's Quentin Tarantino’s Once Upon A Time… In Hollywood this week. We got the poster on Monday, a relatively conventional one-sheet highlighting the core selling points (it’s a Tarantino movie set in 1960’s Hollywood with Leonardo DiCaprio and Brad Pitt in full movie-star handsome modes) and another on Tuesday with Margot Robbie's Sharon Tate. Neither hinted at the film’s less commercial bits (like that it at least implicitly concerns the 1969 Tate-LaBianca murders and that Margot Robbie plays the late Sharon Tate).  And this morning we get a groovy teaser trailer.

As expected, there are essentially zero hints of the horrific murders committed by Charles Manson’s followers, but this isn’t a true-crime documentary. I am guessing that the tone will be akin to Spike Lee’s Son of Sam (which was more about reactions to the Son of Sam murders rather than centered on them) meets Steven Spielberg’s Catch Me If You Can. Sharon Tate's sister has read the screenplay and blessed the project, which should alleviate some concerns about the project being potentially exploitative. Whatever you think of the man who directed Pulp Fiction, Kill Bill and Death Proof, he’s not foolish enough to think that audiences are going to want a full-fledged reenactment of the grisly killings, and he’s smart enough to know that such content would essentially overshadow whatever else the movie was trying to accomplish.

I would argue that Tarantino the director really only goes full grindhouse when he's making action sequences. Kill Bill Vol. 1, Inglourious Basterds, Death Proof and Django Unchained are action movies or eventually become action movies in the third act (think Bullitt which was an action movie in its day despite having comparatively little action set pieces aside from the iconic car chase). Pulp Fiction is a crime drama in which characters occasionally die badly, ditto Reservoir Dogs, Jackie Brown and Kill Bill Vol. 2. The Hateful Eight (which arguably turns from a mystery to a horror movie in its third act) is the exception to the rule. Unless Once Upon A Time… In Hollywood (which also co-stars Al Pacino and Dakota Fanning among others) goes the Inglorious Basterds alternate history route, most of the action will likely be on Hollywood movie sets.

The trailer itself is a kicky blast, literally with Mike Moh becoming the first actor to play both Ryu from Street Fighter II and Bruce Lee himself. No, Sharon Tate doesn't get any lines, and there is no hint of the darkness to come (unless you're really paying attention to your history). It is deeply bittersweet to see this trailer dropping on the day that 20th Century Fox becomes a mere cog in the Walt Disney empire. Not only is the movie pitching itself as a star-driven ode to old-school Hollywood (presumably with a modern-day sense of awareness at least on par with Hail, Caesar!), but it is a prime example of the kind of movie that still gets made by rarely gets seen in theaters by the very adults who complain that Hollywood never makes movies for adults anymore.

So the movie looks good, the director is a marquee name (it’s fitting that the trailer will play before Us, which may confirm Jordan Peele as a fellow “I don’t need IP” marquee filmmaker) and the cast is dynamite. But will anyone show up for this presumably R-rated, long, dialogue-driven adult-skewing dramedy when it opens on July 26, 2019? This isn’t the 1990s where parents might drop their kids off at Walt Disney's The Lion King and take in a showing of Once Upon a Time… In Hollywood. The availability of high-quality at-home content via Netflix, Hulu and the like, along with high-quality and affordable home theater set-ups, has been brutal for the very kind of grown-up movies that everyone claims Hollywood doesn’t make anymore.

Hollywood still makes them, but audiences are far less likely to see them in theaters than they were even five years ago. A movie like Once Upon A Time… In Hollywood may be a rare breakout adult hit, especially with Leonardo DiCaprio making his first movie since The Revenant 3.5-years ago. For film nerds and the like, this will absolutely be the event movie of the summer. But Sony hasn’t been shy about releasing relatively high-quality grown up, star-driven movie-movies in theaters only for those movies to be ignored or more blogged about than seen. If any person who blogged about Chris Plummer subbing in for Kevin Spacey actually paid to see All the Money in the World, it would have grossed more than Jumanji 2.

Here’s hoping that this DiCaprio/Pitt/Robbie flick will be the exception to the rule. But with an alleged $100 million budget, this one has to perform at least as well as Tarantino’s Inglorious Basterds ($321m in 2009), Brad Pitt’s Seven ($327m in 1995) and Leonardo DiCaprio’s Shutter Island ($294m in 2010) to be anything resembling a hit. That’s possible, as QT’s biggest movies are the ones that star the likes of Pitt and DiCaprio, but the overlapping fan base for all three “draws” means that the combo might not equal expansion of the grosses. If this hits it big, then great. But if not, you don’t get to complain about Sony’s Spider-verse films, their Angry Birds sequels or their Ghostbusters revamps.

Source

3 hours ago, Jade Bahr said:

I am shocked, even Lainey likes the trailer and Leos dancing LOL

https://www.laineygossip.com/first-look-at-quentin-tarantinos-once-upon-a-time-in-hollywood/52255

It was not Lainey herself that wrote this, it was a girl named Sarah, who surprise, surprise...  says she doesn't like Leo, WOW, what a surprise, someone that works with Lainey and doesn't like Leo, lol. Though, not even her could resist Leo's dancing moves, hahaha.    :laugh:  

Yeah, I don't get it too, jade, because let's be honest, The Revenant (which is one of my fave Leo's movies) but still, was not the typical entertaining movie, it was a very unique, almost silent movie and made loads of money around the world. I don't understand how Once with this incridible huge cast, entertaining plot and directed by Tarantino can't go SUPER well in the box office?   :idk:

4 minutes ago, BarbieErin said:

Yeah, I don't get it too, jade, because let's be honest, The Revenant (which is one of my fave Leo's movies) but still, was not the typical entertaining movie, it was a very unique, almost silent movie and made loads of money around the world. I don't understand how Once with this incridible huge cast, entertaining plot and directed by Tarantino can't go SUPER well in the box office?   :idk:

Exactly my thoughts :thumbs_up:

7 minutes ago, Jade Bahr said:

Exactly my thoughts :thumbs_up:

Yes. But now reading the entire article, I think he means Once can't beat The Lion King... I think he means that releasing the movie in the summer might be a risk? But I still think this movie will have a huge audience, besides The Lion King. 

1 hour ago, Jade Bahr said:

(...) The availability of high-quality at-home content via Netflix, Hulu and the like, along with high-quality and affordable home theater set-ups, has been brutal for the very kind of grown-up movies that everyone claims Hollywood doesn’t make anymore.

Hollywood still makes them, but audiences are far less likely to see them in theaters than they were even five years ago. A movie like Once Upon A Time… In Hollywood may be a rare breakout adult hit, especially with Leonardo DiCaprio making his first movie since The Revenant 3.5-years ago. For film nerds and the like, this will absolutely be the event movie of the summer. But Sony hasn’t been shy about releasing relatively high-quality grown up, star-driven movie-movies in theaters only for those movies to be ignored or more blogged about than seen. If any person who blogged about Chris Plummer subbing in for Kevin Spacey actually paid to see All the Money in the World, it would have grossed more than Jumanji 2.

Here’s hoping that this DiCaprio/Pitt/Robbie flick will be the exception to the rule. But with an alleged $100 million budget, this one has to perform at least as well as Tarantino’s Inglorious Basterds ($321m in 2009), Brad Pitt’s Seven ($327m in 1995) and Leonardo DiCaprio’s Shutter Island ($294m in 2010) to be anything resembling a hit. That’s possible, as QT’s biggest movies are the ones that star the likes of Pitt and DiCaprio, but the overlapping fan base for all three “draws” means that the combo might not equal expansion of the grosses. If this hits it big, then great. But if not, you don’t get to complain about Sony’s Spider-verse films, their Angry Birds sequels or their Ghostbusters revamps.

To me it sounds more like he's all over worried if the movie will be a box office hit, maybe I'm wrong :idk:

Barbie & Jade

Tks for all  the many Once stills/ IG post, etc :flower: :flower: 

It's great to have so  many new things to enjoy :thumbsup: 

As to box office,  I think it will do very well :thumbsup:

Saw  several tweet this yesterday in connection to little girl's comments to Leo in final trailer scene , and I agree :) 

90.jpg

Thanks Jade for the additional screen caps and the news!  Can't wait to see Bae on the big screen again :blush:!

Lainey and her minions hates Leo the way I hate Channing Tatum, LOL, talk mad crap about him and yet wanna hook up at the same time. Plus, who can resist Leo dancing?:closedeyes:

Cool story. 

I used to be a server at a Mexican restaurant right outside LA in the late 90s. One day Leonardo DiCaprio came in with who I assume was his mom to have lunch. This would've been post Titanic so really at the peak of his breakthrough mega celeb status. He was wearing a ball cap, sunglasses and unshaven but I recognized him anyway. I didn't let anyone know and I wrote something like "your movies are awesome, I hope you liked our food" on his receipt when I dropped it off at the table.

After he left, I swung by and picked up his payment and he had left me a note back that said "thank you so much for not blowing my cover" with a $100 tip. Shit was awesome I was only like 19, I went and got some Playstation games with it after my shift ended.

https://www.someecards.com/news/news/16-people-share-hilarious-moments-when-they-met-a-celebrity-but-didnt-realize-it/