Bellazon

Leonardo DiCaprio - (Please Read First Post Prior to Posting)
Thumbnail

moiselles

Love what Forbes is writing about Leo being box office gold, so right :p Honestly that movie already got so much press, bad or good doesn't matter, in the end there will be such a hype that everyone will be running in theatre to see whats going on I can imagine.

Tarantino's Manson Movie Is A Huge Risk Even With DiCaprio, Pitt, Cruise And Robbie

There was a rumor dropped earlier in the week courtesy of Showbiz 411's Roger Friedman, claiming Sony was having second thoughts about their plans to finance and distribute Quinten Tarantino’s newest movie. Tarantino has made every prior film since Pulp Fiction with Harvey Weinstein, but that isn’t an option anymore for obvious reasons. The rest of Hollywood placed their bids and Sony won out. But recent controversies concerning both the director and his intended subject matter may make the movie an even riskier bet than it was on its face.

The new project, which allegedly takes place during the period of Charles Manson’s killing spree but is not directly about those murders (think Spike Lee’s Summer of Sam), has come under renewed scrutiny following controversies concerning an allegedly unsafe stunt that injured Uma Thurman on the set of Kill Bill as well as a 15-year-old Howard Stern interview during which Tarantino defended Roman Polanski regarding that filmmaker’s statutory rape conviction. But the film, which may feature Polanksi as a major character, was always something of a risk due to its alleged $100 million+ budget. That’s the kind of overkill that tricks the industry into declaring the adult drama to be dead.

We saw this in the late 2000’s, when the likes of State of Play and Duplicity were doing okay business but not nearly good enough on their over/under $80 million budgets. The DVD market was on the decline, star power as a box office draw was fighting a losing battle against IP and brand awareness and there just wasn’t the theatrical audience to justify an old-school studio programmer costing as much as a second-tier blockbuster wannabe. The adult drama or grown-up thriller wasn’t dead, it was just too expensive to thrive.

The industry somewhat got its act together soon enough, offering films like, Source CodeWater for Elephants, The Social Network and Argo that cost closer to $40 million than $80m. I would argue that things would have gone very differently had The Avengers earned $800m worldwide as opposed to $1.5 billion worldwide, as the blow-out success then sent every studio after their own would-be cinematic universe. But I digress. A $100m+ budget for a period-piece drama tangentially related to the Charles Manson murders is, on its face, the kind of project that almost killed the adult movie a decade earlier.

At a cost of $100 million, Tarantino’s untitled movie would have to make around $300m worldwide to break even in theatrical alone. That’s not impossible, especially if Leonardo DiCaprio ends up joining the cast as rumored, but it’s not inevitable. Two of the director’s films have breached that arbitrary milestone, and both were critically-acclaimed Oscar-friendly action-adventure movies.

Inglorious Basterds ($321 million on a $70m budget in 2009) was a pulpy, bawdy, wish-fulfillment fantasy actioner, starring Brad Pitt in peak movie star form, about American soldiers slaughtering Nazis during World War II. Django Unchained ($425m on a $100m budget in 2012) was another historical fantasy starring Jamie Foxx as a former slave hunting down slave owners and rescuing his wife. It also featured DiCaprio as the baddie and was a movie explicitly tapping into a cultural zeitgeist concerning the lack of modern-day outrage over the relatively recent American slave trade.

Comparatively, The Hateful Eight, which was a three-hour long western starring Samuel L. Jackson and Kurt Russell, one that played like an Agatha Christie movie and featured more horrific violence than crowd-pleasing action, earned just $155 million on a $50m budget. Without knowing all that much about this new movie (it could be a thrilling action comedy), a $100m character drama that takes place during an infamous crime spree is a pretty risky play in 2018, even if it stars the likes of Tom Cruise, Brad Pitt, Leonardo DiCaprio and Margot Robbie (allegedly as Sharon Tate). Even if it’s good and even if it contains that stacked cast, it will essentially have to play at peak levels for all participants to be a success.

DiCaprio is box office gold and the key reason why the film has any shot in heck of being a hit (even if it’s a straight drama). Tom Cruise is worth every penny in a Mission: Impossible movie, but he has been hit-and-miss outside of that franchise. American Made, his first outright drama in a decade, earned a decent $150 million on a $50m budget, Outside of Rain Man, all of Cruise’s $300m+ hits were action movies or sci-fi thrillers. Yes, many of his $200m+ hits were from the 1980’s and 1990’s (Interview with the Vampire’s adjusted domestic gross would be around $230m today), but a lot more folks went to the movies back then as well.

Brad Pitt has a variety of $300 million+ hits, but (again) they are mostly crowd-pleasing capers (Mr. and Mrs. Smith, the Ocean’s movies), or hard action/thriller genre films like SevenWorld War Z or Troy. Yes, you’ve got the Oscar-nominated The Curious Case of Benjamin Button ($333m on a $150m budget in 2008), but otherwise, we shouldn’t have to expect our movie stars to pull in blockbuster numbers for comparatively straight dramas. And that’s, on the surface, what this Tarantino project seems to be.

That’s not even factoring the deluge of pre-release and post-release controversies that are sure to spring about, even if the film’s violence (and treatment of its major female characters) is closer to Jackie Brown than The Hateful Eight. Nor is it factoring the relatively recent challenges in getting adult moviegoers to go to the movies to see adult-skewing multiplex fare. Long story short, the potential audience for a movie like this is very different than what it was in 2009 or even 2012.

The quality and affordability of home theater set-ups (HDTVs and surround sound) that can approximate or surpass often inconsistent theatrical experiences, as well as the deluge of adult-skewing at-home entertainment options (Netflix, TV, VOD), has decimated the potential for adult movies. Since so many of the would-be blockbusters are A) darn good movies and B) play to adults and kids almost equally, many grownups will (for example) use their babysitting night next to see Black Panther as opposed to Annihilation or Game Night. Adult movies are rarely outright event movies and shouldn’t be budgeted as such.

That’s not to say that adult movies can’t thrive. But the likes of Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri, The Shape of Water or even Baby Driver are big hits partially because they cost a lot less than $100 million. Ditto even a breakout like Get Out, whose $252m global gross wouldn’t be big enough for a $100m+ Charles Manson drama. There are exceptions, like American Sniper, It and Dunkirk (Oh, hi Warner Bros.!), but New Line sure didn’t budget It so that it had to make $700m worldwide just to make money. Conversely, Alcon Entertainment’s core mistake with Blade Runner 2049 was its $155m budget.

On its face, a $250 million worldwide gross for an R-rated, action-light, 2.5-hour sci-fi tone poem isn’t half-bad. Heck, it made more than Amy Adams’ Oscar-nominated Arrival ($203m) in global grosses. But Arrival cost 30% of what Blade Runner 2049 did, so now the critically-acclaimed Ryan Gosling/Harrison Ford sci-fi sequel is a huge super flop. That’s my fear for Quentin Tarantino’s new movie.

I don’t think it will outright crash-and-burn, especially if it ends up featuring DiCaprio, Pitt, Cruise and Robbie and is able to arrive at what will be the 50th anniversary of the Tate-Labianca murders. But at an alleged budget of over $100 million, and sans promises of conventional action heroics, I worry for a movie that must perform at peak levels for nearly all its participants just to qualify as a hit. This, now, is the Netflix advantage.

They can spend $140 million (!!) on Martin Scorsese’s period-piece gangster drama and not worry if it only plays to the film nerds. It’s worth it in terms of positive publicity, subscriber boosts and a narrative about how Netflix is doing what Hollywood won’t or can’t. They don’t depend on the individual performances of each movie and (at this juncture) it doesn’t even matter if the movies are good or well-liked, even as the conventional studios like Paramount/Viacom Inc. are penalized when audiences reject outside-the-box offerings like mother!.

Meanwhile, Sony releases the likes of Only the Brave, Roman J. Israel, Esq. and All the Money in the World to mostly empty multiplexes, so I can’t blame them for focusing on Jumanji 3 or their Spider-Man spin-offs. With the almost inevitable controversies and think pieces concerning how the movie does or doesn’t play in our current environment, plus plenty of folks likely to be turned off by the subject matter itself, I don’t blame Sony if they have second thoughts. I would too.

I hope I’m wrong. But I wouldn’t blame Sony for having the jitters or trying to find someone to share the cost.  Spending $100 million on a Charles Manson movie at a time when it’s ever-more challenging to get adults to see adult movies in theaters is the very definition of a risky bet. I'd feel a lot better if this movie was only costing $60m to produce.

Source

Leo attended the British Vogue Fashion and Film party hosted by Naomi Campbell 

Upstairs in the roomy orangery, guests including the colorful Matty Bovan (hopefully still feeling as high as those Stephen Jones helium balloon hats after such a brilliant show on Friday), Elle Fanning, Natalia Vovianova, and Jourdan Dunn gathered. Ever the effervescent co-host, Naomi Campbell swept through the rooms in a white plumed cape, leaving a trail of feathers and admirers behind her. The new Annabel’s is big, but cozy corners were to be found with Alexa Chung in dusky pink velvet having a girly chat with Molly Goddard, and Leonardo di Caprio talking with Lauren Santo Domingo.

https://www.vogue.com/article/british-vogue-tiffany-party-bafta-awards

4 hours ago, SexyLeo91 said:

Thanks Barbie, ox and Jade for the links, news, pics and all the latest info!

Yessssssssss! He's sexy when he's casual. Hell, dressed up too! But it's amazing to find out all these charitable things he does :D

It's sad about the girls that didn't get to meet Leo :ohmy:

So true Jade about Leo being a big draw!

Leo looks so fine dressed up in his suit, I agree.  ?

Any girl that can never meet Leo is really missing out big time, agree too.  But for the grace of God, he is still alive and trucking.  Everyone can have that chance, fingers crossed for them. ???

Can't wait to see him in the movie.  I just feel the same way.  Have a good one.  

We have the same opinions, cool!!!  ???

Leo sighting in London. 

Lindsay Lohan, Suki Waterhouse Leonardo DiCaprio and Tom Hardy were all on hand this past week to help London party spot The Box celebrate it’s 7th birthday.

http://metro.co.uk/2018/02/19/lindsay-lohan-tom-hardy-party-pals-celebrate-boxs-birthday-7326359/

thanks ox, jade and calibi. 

I have no clue how accurate this is, but in this german interview moviemaker Norbert Vander told he's planning a movie about legendary racer Bernd Rosemeyer (never heard of him) and he wants Leo or Zac Efron to play him. According to him Universal is searching for a main actor and Vander is like "Leonardo DiCaprio and Zac Efron are in talks - it will be one of them"... filming is planned in Silverstone, New York, Tunis, Nürburgring and Berlin.

Source: http://www.stadt-kurier.de/kaarst/zwei-kaarster-entwickeln-weltneuheit-locken-sie-damit-leonardo-dicaprio-norbert-vander-und-patrick-aid-1.7406096

A NY sighting of Leo , IF legit and he is out walking , we might get some new pix :smile: 

georgia @georgiajmeyer 1h1 hour ago

Just walked past Leonardo DiCaprio in nyc Thank you! And good night.

Calibi and Barbie

Tks for recent London sightings of Leo :smile:

Jade

Tks for article,  as we well know everyone wants Leo for their future film project  = he's boxoffice gold  :p 

There's video and I believe that's Camila with him.

EXCLUSIVE: Leonardo DiCaprio Spotted Leaving 1Oak in NYC with Leggy Blonde Model at 5am

EXCLUSIVE: Leonardo DiCaprio was spotted out on the town late Tuesday night in NYC. He made a low-key entrance into 1 Oak Nightclub at around 2:30 am. The actor, who was recently linked to model, Cami Morrone, partied the night away with another leggy blonde. The pair left the club together at 5am, after appearing to exchange contact info inside the doorway of the club. Leo hopped in a yellow taxi, and the tall model following closely behind . 

https://scanpix.no/spWebApp/preview/video/tc9adb1f

Calibi

Tks for club video of Leo & Camila; glad to know my eyes weren’t playing tricks on me when I posted girl looked like Camila to me :p

Barbie

As always Leo maybe can’t keep the paps away , but he does his best not to give them their desired money shot :p