Bellazon

Leonardo DiCaprio - (Please Read First Post Prior to Posting)
Thumbnail

moiselles

thanks all for the tweets oxford, calibi, Nanda, neontiger.

From Entertainment Weekly - Who's Up and Who's Down in the Oscar Race

BEST ACTOR

By Anthony Breznicanon Dec 6, 2013 at 2:16PM

I’ve said it before: this is 2013′s toughest category.

Related

This week, the one thing I’ve heard over and over again is, “Leo is a lock.” People are raving about his work in The Wolf of Wall Street, and this could be the one that finally wins him an Oscar after three previous nominations.

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2013/12/06/oscar-predictions-ew-prize-fighter/5/

From Variety :

Leonardo DiCaprio and ‘Wolf of Wall Street’ Howl for Oscars

The Wolf of Wall Street” screened today for media members. Was it worth the wait? You betcha. When awards nominations are announced next week, the question isn’t whether the Martin Scorsese film will be included but rather how many nods it will get.

Paramount has imposed a review embargo until Dec. 17 for the film, so details will be restrained. But this may be the only time you see restraint and “Wolf” used in the same sentence.

Within the first five minutes, the film pops off the screen with energy, style, sex, profanity and drugs. It’s a film about excess and at three hours, it’s a marathon of all those elements. So conservative awards voters may be put off.

But in general, audiences and voters love the familiar mixed with the new: They like to see a favorite star or filmmaker but be surprised when they go in new directions, and “Wolf” delivers. There are some trademark Scorsese elements like uniformly strong performances, stylish camera moves, a great soundtrack and, most important, smart observations about jungle behavior in urban settings. But this is 180 degrees from “Hugo” and different from his other films. And Leonardo DiCaprio shows new sides of himself, including his talent as a physical comic.

In terms of awards, nominations seem likely for the picture, Scorsese, DiCaprio, scripter Terence Winter, Jonah Hill and Margot Robbie and all below-the-line work.

There is always anticipation over a Scorsese film and this one has, as a bonus, DiCaprio and a script by Winter, the TV maestro making a rare bigscreen foray. Adding to the excitement was the backstory: Will it be finished in time or pushed into 2014? Wait, it’s a comedy? It’s three hours long?

In terms of awards, this has an advantage over much of its competition: Voters will see it. Most Academy members are working folks with limited time, so rely on word of mouth when deciding what to see. But even if an Acad member has seen nothing so far in 2013 because they’ve been shooting in Siberia, this will be among the handful of must-sees, due to its pedigree.

Every year, there are a handful of awards hopefuls that start screening late, because they are in post up until the last minute. This year, the final three were Sony’s “American Hustle,” the Warner Bros.-New Line-MGM “The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug,” and this one. (In past years, the latecomers have included “Gran Torino,” “The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo,” “Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close” and “Django Unchained.”) They have had mixed results with awards. This film is likely to wind up on the positive side of that.

http://variety.com/2013/film/news/leonardo-dicaprio-and-wolf-of-wall-street-howl-for-oscars-1200927517/

oxford, Glenn Kenny used to be the film critic for Premiere magazine, right?

He wrote this on his blog before he saw Wolf today.He then tweeted the Coen brothers film is still his fave but Wolf is closee behind.

My favorite film of 2013 is Joel and Ethan Coen's Inside Llewyn Davis. Granted, I'm seeing Wolf of Wall Street this afternoon, but even if I love Martin Scorsese's new picture, it will probably not knock Davis out of my heart's top spot, because, well, I might as well just admit it, I feel an abiding/irritating kinship with the cranky folk singer of the Coen picture. I reviewed it for RogerEbert.com, and I'll write more about its magnificent knottiness once more potential readers have seen the movie.....

1. Glenn Kenny@Glenn__Kenny2h
  2. Oh wolfie/Oh wolfie/Please tell me do/What makes me love you so? #singalongwithExtAngel #subtweet #icansaynomore
    1. @Glenn__Kenny Llewyn still keeps his ranking though, right?

Thanks for the Variety article also, oxford.

Thanks for all the pics, tweets... glad to see that the overall reception of Wolf has been positive so far. Leo is certainly on a roll and glad to see his successful streak wont be ending anytime soon. :) And if there are any negative tweets/ opinions on the film I still want to see ..Just want to make sure I have an accurate view of things. :p

Thanks for all the pics, tweets... glad to see that the overall reception of Wolf has been very very positive. Leo is certainly on a roll and glad to see his successful streak wont be ending anytime soon. :) And if there are any negative tweets/ opinions on the film I still want to see ..Just want to make sure I have an accurate view of things. :p

'Wolf of Wall Street' pounces as a ferocious Oscar threat

Now that I've seen "The Wolf of Wall Street," it's clear that it is one of the few contenders that can actually win the Oscar for Best Picture.

It's epic in scope, length (three hours!) and in the size of its ideas about modern times – just like voters like their winners – and the audience loved it. Of course, the crowd I saw it with this afternoon at the Landmark Theater in Los Angeles was comprised of film journalists – mostly snobbish, cynical dudes, not sappy geezers like you find in the academy – but that's the crowd the generates initial Oscar buzz. In fact, it's our crowd. About half of Gold Derby's Experts saw it with me.

I quizzed 5 or 6 of them afterward and they all agree: "Wolf" is a threat. However, none of them said outright – yes, this will be the winner. Nearly all of them begged for more time to ponder its place in the derby. Only one pundit said firmly, no, "The Wolf of Wall Street" cannot win. His reasoning: It's too hip, young-skewing, too "The Social Network" in a race that usually goes to fuddy-duddy fare like "The King's Speech" and "The Artist." But let's not forget that sometimes hip, gritty fare prevails like "The Hurt Locker" and "No Country for Old Men."

One thing everybody agrees upon: Leonardo DiCaprio may devour, wolf-like, his competition for Best Actor thanks to a grandstanding, cocaine-fueled performance that is the biggest of his giant career. However, it's strange that Leo recently lost Best Actor to Robert Redford ("All is Lost") at the New York Film Critics Circle last Monday. Leo seems more critics-friendly by nature, but Redford lives part time in Manhattan, so maybe the Gotham critics have a burning desire to finally meet the reclusive superstar in the flesh when they have their awards dinner next month. We'll learn a lot more this weekend when the L.A. critics vote on Sunday. Leo lives part-time in Los Angeles. That may help, but both stars face a serious threat from Matthew McConaughey ("Dallas Buyers' Club"), who dwells in L.A., too.

When sizing up the Golden Globes race, lucky for Leo he's not competing against Redford, McConaughey, Chiwetel Ejiofor ("12 Years a Slave") or Tom Hanks ("Captain Phillips") for Best Drama Actor. He's over in the comedy/musical category thanks to the fratboyish frivolity of "Wolf." There he faces Bruce Dern ("Nebraska"), who gives a quiet screen turn that seems destined to lose to DiCaprio, who is a Globes fave (he won for "The Aviator" back in 2004). If Leo gives a knock-out performance at the podium compared to whoever wins Best Drama Actor, that could help to propel him Oscar-bound at long last. He's lost three times so far.

Martin Scorsese will need to win DGA if he's to bag the Oscar next, but he faces tough competition from Alfonso Cuaron ("Gravity") and Steve McQueen ("12 Years a Slave"). Nonetheless, it's clear that the guild could go for Scorsese.

The big Oscar mystery surrounding "Wolf" is if Jonah Hill makes the supporting-actor list. Right now he's ranked fourth on our prediction charts, so he's looking good. But he portrays a goofball, drug-addled sychophant, not exactly the most huggable boy in the contender batch. Hmmm … I'm still pondering this issue for now and none of the Gold Derby Experts I polled after today's screening seemed confident about his fate. He seems likely to get in (he got nommed for "Moneyball"), but he's no shoo-in. And he can't win.

http://www.goldderby.com/news/5155/wolf-of-wall-street-leonardo-dicaprio-entertainment-news-7184920635.html

Lucky Girl

Tks for pix ; like them :)

Rainey Day & Lua

Yes, some great press conference pix today, certainly worthy of posting more than once :drool:

Lua

Yes, Kenny was film critic for Premiere :)

Tks, also,  for Gatsby vid .

Fash

I would say that what I, Nanda, and Calibi  have posted since the Wolf screenings have started is a good representation of what exists out there on Twitter about Wolf and the Twitter response has been overwhelming positive in nature

And today it was screened for the film critics and as the Variety article pointed ( and the one I see Kat has posted )points out it was met with a very positive response from critics on both Coasts.

And the tweets you are seeing today are from people who do vote on the BFCA awards.

Does that mean that Wolf or Leo will find award glory ? Only time will tell, and as any long time Leo fan knows , no matter how much praise one sees in print  regarding a performance that doesn't mean it will be recognized by the various award groups

If one is interested in the Award Season and desire to know where all the 'buzz' leads within the next 10 days the "3" major award precursor nominations will be announced. giving all who watch the award game a much more clearer picture of who might truly be an Oscar contender.

So if one is interested in following the award game below are dates to watch :

Wed Dec 11th = SAG nominations

Thurs Dec 12th = Golden Globe nominations

Monday Dec 16th = BFCA/Critic's Choice Awards

Kat

Tks for Gold Derby article :)

As to Leo covers; I have a feeling the New York Magazine cover may be it :idk: