Bellazon

Leonardo DiCaprio - (Please Read First Post Prior to Posting)
Thumbnail

moiselles

The guy below saw the film at screening and wrote review of it describing a lot of the movie scenes

As a person who read the book, I don't want to spoil the film for others who don't want to know too much about what type of film scenes you might be seeing, so I'm just posting a link to his review :)

http://themoviola.com/2013/12/02/an-unflinching-masterpiece-the-wolf-of-wall-street/

Kat

Tks for pix of Leo in New York :)

I had read on Twitter this weekend there would be Wolf guild screenings there this week, so expected him to head East soon

Nanda

Tks for all the NY screening tweets :

Also , tks, for information about the guy being asked to take his review down.

As to the controversy about Wolf being nominated and no foreign journalists had seen it we know that is not true as on this forum are the tweets from the foreign journalists who tweeted they were set to see the film that day.

All the tweeters who tweeted about meeting Leo/screening were foreign journalists /entertainment people.

I posted the below on Nov 18th

And apparently the journalists in attendance got to see the film ; gosh how lucky !

mariaestevez ‏@mariateam 8h

Watching #TheWolfOfWallstreet today

“Worse Than Henry Hill…In Same Ballpark” as Tony Montana

I was a little bit suspicious of the euphoric SAG reactions to last weekend’s Wolf of Wall Street screenings. The emotional nature of actors makes them easy lays, for one thing, and like most people they tend to applaud even more heartily if you show them a hot film before anyone else. So to get an idea of how Martin Scorsese‘s film really plays I spoke today to a discriminating New York critic who caught the three-hour-long film at 3 pm Eastern. And guess what? He was really impressed with the film (“Really strongan amazing piece of moviemaking“) and the performances by Leonardo DiCaprio and Jonah Hill, among others, but he had moral-ethical problems with watching a film about “such a scumbag” as Jordan Belfort, the real-life former Wall Street trader whom DiCaprio reportedly brings to flamboyant life.

http://www.hollywood-elsewhere.com/images/column/dirtyxmas/xscumjordan.jpg.pagespeed.ic.HH6jsKXbe1.jpg

http://www.hollywood-elsewhere.com/images/column/dirtyxmas/xscumhill.jpg.pagespeed.ic.MJY1sDS4DA.jpg

(l.) Leonardo DiCaprio as Jordan Belfort in The Wolf of Wall Street; (r.) Ray Liotta as Henry Hill in Goodfellas.

“This guy is worse than Henry Hill,” the critic said, referring to the gangster played by Ray Liotta in Scorsese’s Goodfellas, which the critic says is similar but “more primal” than Wolf of Wall Street. Belfort is “not killing people, but he’s a thief helping to kill people’s dreams.” Is he as bad as Tony Montana?, I asked. He thought about it for eight or ten seconds and said, “He’s in the same ballpark.”

“I not only didn’t care about this guy,” he said. “I was asking myself, why am I watching this guy’s story? And why should I tell people to go see [this film]?.” He described Belfort/DiCaprio as an obnoxious, drug-cranked, completely un-self-aware guy “with no soul, no vision, no wisdom…I was just repelled by him.”

He acknowledges that legendary bad guys hgve always been swaggering, larger-than-life types and that Wolf of Wall Street is, of course, a societal indictment that shows the audience who and what Wall Street finaglers really are deep down and the color of their souls, but it still conveys “the wrong message. Scorsese absolutely shows us what a scumbag this guy is [but] still I was asking myself, why am I watching this? It [felt like] excess for own sake, being celebrated for its own sake. Scorsese at the top of its form, but why this story?”

He basically seemed to be saying that Wolf is a little too entertaining in a highly-charged and orgiastic sense, given the subject matter and the vile characters. He suspects that a fair portion of the audience is going to be more entertained than anything else, and that the sober, solemnly meditative aspects may be ignored altogether, particularly by the under-30 crowd.

Edited by PinkCouture

House of Nod @houseofnodfilms 

Had the honor & privilege to sit in a theater and listen to Thelma Schoonmaker speak last night. Also The Wolf of Wall Street was top notch.

Victor DePasqual @AustinMovieSnob 

One great part of WOLF OF WALL STREET is how much fun DiCaprio is having. He's a fantastic actor, but here he's giddy and it's infectious.

Jarrod Burris @JahKrazEE 

WOLF OF WALL STREET is a masterpiece. I would say it's the movie of the year, but @springbreakers also dropped in the '13. #damn

I've also noticed that some film critics are complaining that allowing sag people and other groups to see the film earlier then them will cause a backlash with some critics. I think a lot of critics will be seeing it Dec. 6. They act like a bunch of little kids, just because Kris Tapley got to see it first and they don'thave the inside scoop yet. Like this tweet:

Lou Lumenick @LouLumenick 1 Dec

Tsunami of hype/anticipation preceding WOLF OF WALL STREET may make the film itself seem anticlimactic.

:cain:

The Q&A just started:

24ctfk0.jpg

Sensible Socialite ?@liztaylorworld 

#LeonardoDiCaprio tonight at special screening of Wolf of Wall Street! Wow! pic.twitter.com/KTQrYJ2RmI

Michael McAdam ?@mikemcadam 

#WolfOfWallStreet @ParamountPics best picture contender for sure! GREAT direction @MartinScorsiri great acting @LeoDiCaprio and cast SEE IT!

Adrian Askarieh ?@AdrianAskarieh 

#WolfOfWallStreet Is as crazy a ride as I have see in a major studio film. May be Leo's gutsiest performance.

Sina Amedson ?@SinaAmedson 

Buy a set of adult diapers and a ticket to see Wolf of Wall Street whenever you get a chance. That movie is incredible. #WolfOfWallStreet

Vito ?@7Lengineered 

Just finished watching Wolf. Insane over the top fun.

Calibi

Tks for all the tweets from the NY/Wolf screenings , as well as, best of all pix of Leo Flower%20for%20you.gif

As to complaints that the SAG group saw it before film critics , Kris Tapley addressed that question by a poster on his site

The SAG group saw it before film critics, that the studio had to get it to the SAG first because of their voting deadline

Barbie

Tks for GG vid :)

Fash

I noticed on Twitter that most tonight are attending a DGA /Director's Guild screening of Wolf which I would say is ,also, due to having to getting the film seen before the various guilds' deadline for voting.