Bellazon

Leonardo DiCaprio - (Please Read First Post Prior to Posting)
Thumbnail

moiselles

The guy below saw the film at screening and wrote review of it describing a lot of the movie scenes

As a person who read the book, I don't want to spoil the film for others who don't want to know too much about what type of film scenes you might be seeing, so I'm just posting a link to his review :)

http://themoviola.com/2013/12/02/an-unflinching-masterpiece-the-wolf-of-wall-street/

^ Bless! Thanks, Ox. Really excited to read more reactions :ddr:.

Thanks girls for the updates :flower:.

And it's good to see Leo nominated for something... but I don't want to focus on awards anymore... Leo deserves, we know that, but he's always left out :beating: and I end up disappointed no matter how much I try to stay positive :cry2:. I hope the movie is a hit... I feel it will be :clap:.

Not that at this point the film wouldn't have been nominated anyway considering the great reviews :p

International Press Academy does not see 'Wolf of Wall Street,' nominates it for five Satellite Awards anyway

Former HFPA president Mirjana Van Blaricom is the founder of the International Press Academy (IPA). Some years ago she and the HFPA went their separate ways. It was some mysterious scandal. No one really knows what happened. She went off and formed the IPA and I'm told the HFPA's stance is, "If you work with the IPA, don't work with us." So naturally, the IPA, which annually hands out the dubious Satellite Awards, doesn't have much of a relationship with the studios. Few of them submit films and/or screen for the organization.

With that out of the way, and I'm not trying to kick up a petty war about something that doesn't even matter, but these questionable if harmless nominations caught my eye today when I saw "The Wolf of Wall Street" throughout. The film landed five nominations, including Best Motion Picture, Director and Actor. Had they seen it? After all, it's only screened for SAG and HFPA so far. Turns out, no, they haven't seen it.

Sources at the studio confirmed that they neither submitted nor screened "Wolf" for Satellite Award consideration. And specifically, Van Blaricom, I'm told, didn't see the film. So chalk its mentions up as what they are: a blatant attempt to get people like Martin Scorsese and Leonardo DiCaprio to show up at the March 9 ceremony. And you can probably apply similar logic throughout, whether the films were seen or not. As a result, the organization's list of nominations — which basically reads like an Oscar predictions crib sheet ("Gravity" and "12 Years a Slave" led the way with eight mentions apiece) — loses any shred of credibility it may have had to begin with.

All of that's not to say that Van Blaricom hasn't been spot on in her criticisms of the HFPA. She also recently testified in the HPFA/Dick Clark Productions dispute. But this is, well, gross even by awards season standards. And it shoots any claims of her organization being "more legitimate" than the HFPA in the foot.

So count this as the last time we bother covering the International Press Academy and the Satellite Awards. At least they go out on an amazing year for movies…

Read more at http://www.hitfix.com/in-contention/international-press-academy-does-not-see-wolf-of-wall-street-nominates-it-for-five-satellite-awards-anyway#S6J7dSGLLOG2vlT9.99

Can ‘The Wolf of Wall Street’ Devour Oscar Competition?

Following months of speculation whether it would make it in time for the 2013 Oscar race, Martin Scorsese’s “The Wolf of Wall Street” finally started screenings for guilds over the weekend, beginning with a Saturday afternoon show for SAG nominating committee. And the response was as boisterous and wild as the ride stockbroker Jordan Belfort—played by Leonardo DiCaprio—takes the audience on over the course of three hours. Yes, it’s official: the film runs three hours. But the crowd didn’t seem to mind, laughing enthusiastically up until the end.

I had the privilege of moderating the Q&A following the first screening, attended by DiCaprio, Jonah Hill, Rob Reiner, Jon Favreau, Cristin Milioti, Edward Choi and PJ Byrne. The cast received massive applause, culminating in a standing ovation for DiCaprio.

Many of the cast members were seeing the film for the first time. Reiner, who plays Belfort’s accountant father, admitted to being a little stunned. “It was really good. I knew it had laughs but I didn’t realize how many laughs,” he said. He also admitted he was nervous agreeing to do the Q&A before seeing the film, saying, “What if it stunk? Luckily, it was the reverse of stink.”

While formal reviews are embargoed, it’s safe to say that critics are likely to agree. The film opens with a bang, with DiCaprio narrating both in voice-over and in direct address to the camera, and the laughs come fast. The actor, a three-time Oscar nominee, has never been better as the slick, determined and utterly unrepentant Belfort, and is likely to land another nomination. I say “likely” only because best actor is a crowded field and he will have to bump some serious competition, but his odds are good.

While the Academy might balk at some of the more salacious elements, a best picture nomination seems a sure thing, as does a nod for Terence Winter’s adaptation of Belfort’s memoir. Also a surefire nominee is Jonah Hill for supporting actor, who playing Belfort’s sycophantic and adoring underling, called Donnie Azoff in the movie (real last name is Porush). Hill good-naturedly pointed out, “Every time I play someone real in a movie they ask to have their name changed.” While a comic sidekick role, there is something tragic in Hill’s performance and his genuine love for Belfort comes through.

And will Scorsese muscle into the crowded director field? All signs point to yes. While the film could benefit from some trimming, Scorsese is in top form—having just turned 71, the filmmaker is still managing to find new and creative ways to tell stories. A sequence involving Belfort and Azoff on Quaaludes ranks among the director’s best work ever, and is sure to become one of the most buzzed-about scenes of the year—the Saturday crowd burst into long applause mid-screening.

The laughs and cheers continued into the Q&A, where DiCaprio, also a producer on the film, described reading Belfort’s book and comparing him to a modern-day Caligula. When it came time for audience questions, DiCaprio recognized a young man in the audience and after an exchange of pleasantries, the man asked how he stayed on the top of his game, being such a great actor for so long. Hill instantly jumped in, “Thank you for asking…”, causing DiCaprio and the audience to explode into laughter.

Paramount held another screening of the film that night, this one including a reception featuring a marching band, in homage to a scene in the movie. With the film just beginning to screen, the studio will have to make up some lost ground considering critics’ awards start coming out this week and ballots for SAG nominations are due Dec. 9. But the studio should have every reason to feel confident.

Satellite Awards chief fires back: "We've seen 'Wolf of Wall Street'"

International Press Academy chief Mirjana Van Blaricom blasts a press account that claims she and her members did not see "The Wolf of Wall Street" before voting for the Satellite Award nominations.

Kris Tapley reported at HifFix earlier today: "The film landed five nominations, including Best Motion Picture, Director and Actor. Had they seen it? After all, it's only screened for guilds and HFPA so far. Turns out, no, they haven't seen it. Sources at the studio confirmed that they neither submitted nor screened 'Wol' for Satellite Award consideration. And specifically, Van Blaricom, I'm told, didn't see the film. So chalk its mentions up as what they are: a blatant attempt to get people like Martin Scorsese and Leonardo DiCaprio to show up at the March 9 ceremony.""I saw it on Saturday at 12:30 at the SAG screening," she tells Gold Derby. "I was with nine other members of my group. Over all, I saw 27 of us at that screening. Many other members saw the movie at the three other industry screenings that were held over the weekend."

Van Blaricom admits that Paramount did not screen the movie specifically to Satellite voters, but "we usually see movies at industry screenings," she says. "AFTRA and SAG voters are permitted to bring two guests and we go with them. That way we get to see movies first. The first press screening for 'Wolf of Wall Street' isn't until this Friday."

She's referring to the first official journalists' screening that Gold Derby and many other media outlets are invited to attend on Dec. 9. The only exceptions made are to voters of the Golden Globes, New York Film Critics' Circle and National Board of Review (who aren't technically journalists). Otherwise, anyone hellbent to see it sooner must hustle an invite to a guild screening. That's what Tapley says he did to see it on Saturday afternoon – he went to the SAG screening. Probably the same one Van Blaricom attended.

Van Blaricom could not say specifically how many of her members saw it. "Of our 200 members, about 130 vote," she says. "Enough of them saw the movie to get it nominations. You don't need a lot of votes to get nominated."

Nanda below is where I got the info that HFPA were shown a screening yesterday. Flower%20for%20you.gif

a few details:

I don’t get to see Martin Scorsese‘s The Wolf of Wall Street until Friday, December 6th, but the Hollywood Foreign Press Association will have a looksee the day after tomorrow (Sunday, 12.1) and the New York Film Critics Circle, I’m informed, will see it a day later (Monday, 12.2). Presumably the National Board of Review will have a screening before voting also. LAFCA will catch it on Friday night. So whatever the reactions, everyone will be up to speed.

from: http://www.hollywood-elsewhere.com/2013/11/as-you-might-expect/