Bellazon

Leonardo DiCaprio - (Please Read First Post Prior to Posting)
Thumbnail

moiselles

From People magazine

leonardo-dicaprio-600.jpg

Leonardo DiCaprio seems to have taken the late Roger Ebert's rating system of "Two Thumbs Up" to the next level.

While in town for the Cannes Film Festival, the actor, 38, was photographed partying at Gotha Club on Monday with his friend, fellow actor Lukas Haas – and a mystery woman.

Keeping a low profile in a newsboy hat, the Great Gatsby star, 38, was spotted giving a thumbs up to a woman in a white top. Later, she mimicked his gesture and returned it with a smile.

Though the extent of relationship is unknown, romancing beautiful women is nothing out of the ordinary for DiCaprio, who dated model Bar Refaeli and has been linked to Gisele Bündchen and Blake Lively.

Though DiCaprio's film The Great Gatsby premiered last Wednesday, kicking off this year's film festival in the French playground, DiCaprio has remained in Cannes, mostly keeping a low profile but stepping out to parties and spending time with an entourage of women each time.

ikilledkenny

Yes, according to NY Post article a lot of celebs have signed up to take these 'outerspace trips' on Branson's ship.

Infact I wondered if Leo got involved with Branson/Amfar bid via his long time girl pal Kate since she is now married to a Branson

I only know , be it outerspace or a space in a closet, I'll love to take a trip with Leo :p

Sic

So many magazine goodies for us, what a treat to return to , tks :flower:

I made a little research about that GQ covers, I kinda remembered that Australian one and yep that's an old shoot from 2008 for Parade magazine, see the pics from JastJared http://www.justjared.com/2008/09/30/leonardo-dicaprio-covers-parade/

and Japanese one kinda reminds me of 2007 shoot for Newsweek, but I guess it's not :idk:

Apparently the bidding for trip to outerspace with Leo is happening right now

Catherine Nicholson Catherine Nicholson ‏@ACatInParis 3m

Just bumped into Jeremy Renner having a sneaky ciggie... now he's auctioning a trip TO SPACE with Leonardo DiCaprio at the @amfAR gala ��

Okay now clarification on the bidding for outerspace trips from Hollywood Reporter

Apparently there were TWO outerspace trips offered , one involved Leo

I love how the HR reporter said , "A trip to the stars with one of the world's biggest "

Cannes: Bidder Pays $1.5 Million for Trip to Space with Leonardo DiCaprio

Arranged by Harvey Weinstein, the once-in-a-lifetime Virgin Galactic voyage benefits the AmFAR Cinema Against AIDS charity.

A trip to the stars -- with one of the world's biggest -- has sold at a Cannes charity auction for 1.2 million euros ($1.5 million US).

The winning bidder at the AmFAR Cinema Against AIDS charity dinner held on Thursday night the Hotel du Cap won an unforgettable journey into orbit on Virgin Galactic, seated next to Leonardo DiCaprio.

A second pair of seats on the same flight sold to another bidder for 1.8 million euros ($23 million US), just moments after the same bidder paid 1.2 million euros for an "Oscars experience."

Earlier in the evening, Harvey Weinstein told The Hollywood Reporter about the gravity-free adventure with the Great Gatsby star.

"We're going to get someone to bid on a seat next to him," the Weinstein Co. co-chairman said.

The trip is listed in the event's auction booklet as a "once-in-a-lifetime trip to space with a mystery guest" on Richard Branson's fledgling space tourism fleet.

DiCaprio was present at the charity dinner, along with Cannes jurors Nicole Kidman and Christoph Waltz.

Weinstein also joked that many in the film business might love to see him fly to space as well, "but only on a one-way ticket."

Article from "E" about today's AMFAR auction

J.J. Abrams may want to give Leonardo DiCaprio a call about appearing in the next Star Wars movie.

The Great Gatsby star is going to know all about space travel.

We just got word that a trip sitting next to DiCaprio on Sir Richard Branson's Virgin Galactic space flight went for $1.5 million at amfAR's annual gala and auction at the 2013 Cannes Film Festival.

Another pair of tickets on the same flight went for $1.8 million. Branson hopes to launch the first trip from New Mexico at the end of the year. Seats on the flight go for about $200,000.

That's not all DiCaprio had to offer at the star-studded event, which took place at the Hotel du Cap.

A $2.3 million bid nabbed a package that included two tickets to the premiere and afterparty of DiCaprio's upcoming drama Wolf on Wall Street

thanks for updates, ox! :wave: but wait, is it true ? I mean they're flying to space ? I mean SPACE ??? :blink: out of planet Earth ??? :blink:

:rofl:

I was wondering the same thing. :rofl: I didn't know that we could do that... Maybe it is a trip in some near future?. :hehe:I hope they don't screw them like Lance Bass :rofl:

In the U.S we've been to space and the moon, so going is not something that is SUPER out of the ordinary, Though I don't think they are going THAT far...I think just far enough to be considered "space". I think :blink:

anywho thanks Ox for the articles! I wish I had enough money to go to space with leo :whistle:

GQ Australia:

Having ditched his teen heart-throb status and established himself as one of the world’s leading character actors, Leonardo Dicaprio’s starring role in The Great Gatsby is the cinematic event of the year. He talks GQ Australia through his inspirations, aspirations and the immersive power of filming in 3D.

Talk about a wild ride. Baz Luhrmann, Australia’s larger-than-life director, was first linked to The Great Gatsby as far back as 2008. It was a risky idea – giving the keys to the Great American Novel to the man who made Ewan McGregor sing Elton John and put a plus sign between Romeo and Juliet. But the conceit was too wild to ignore and the project became a serious talent magnet. Amanda Seyfried, Scarlett Johansson and Natalie Portman were all talked about for the role of Daisy Buchanan, a sometimes-cynical socialite and the object of Jay Gatsby’s affections (Carey Mulligan eventually won the derby). Intending to shoot in New York, Luhrmann even re-located his family to the States in 2010.

But nothing is ever as it seems in the land of Baz, and as the production was inching towards the start line, The Great Gatsby shifted back to Sydney. The new schedule forced Ben Affleck to relinquish a pivotal role. Then came reports that Luhrmann was considering shooting in (wait for it) 3D. The Great Gatsby was budgeted at US$125m, with filming to begin in September 2011. A December 2012 release date came and went, and reports surfaced that Luhrmann was personally trying to raise cash to finance re-shoots. When pressed to explain the delay last year, Luhrmann told New York magazine, cryptically: “I’m just very nourished by just working on it. I’m just thrilled.” The man just protest too much? When the magazine pressed him further on the delay, he said, “Right now I’m working on music. You can imagine how involved I am in the music alone.” Which brings us to the most unlikely element of his take on The Great Gatsby: a score by Jay-Z, with contributions by Kanye West, Jack White and even a Beyoncé cover of Amy Winehouse’s “Back to Black.”

Throughout this circus, the one thing that seemed to make sense about Luhrmann’s The Great Gatsby was the casting of Leonardo DiCaprio in the title role, a mysterious bachelor who lives in a mansion on Long Island and famous for the revelry that surrounds him. And yet, this is exactly the kind of role 38-year-old DiCaprio has been running from in recent years. Blond and absurdly handsome, he’s intent on reminding viewers that he’s a character actor trapped in the chassis of a leading man. He once called Taxi Driver’s Travis Bickle his professional “wet dream”, and it wasn’t idle chit-chat – just look at his CV. Last year, DiCaprio played the villainous Calvin Candie in Django Unchained, with rotten teeth and loose morals – looking like he was having the time of his life. He played FBI director 
J Edgar Hoover (the most feared man of his time) for Clint Eastwood. Even in Revolutionary Road, DiCaprio subverted his image, playing a Norman Rockwell-era suburban hero trapped in a waking nightmare, as the promise of his birth proved to be one big disappointment.

But you can only run from fate for so long. DiCaprio as Jay Gatsby? It’s like two icons from across time shaking hands. Talking to DiCaprio today, with the film finally about to open in cinemas, it’s clear he found it a daunting prospect. “To take on this iconic character is not an easy thing to wrap your head around,” he says, slowly and deliberately. “The Great Gatsby is sewn into the fabric of the American Dream. To fall flat on your face trying to interpret this novel in the right way is scary.” He knows, after all, that casting is only half the battle; even a 1974 version featuring Robert Redford couldn’t get it right. “I remember watching that movie in high school. I loved Redford’s performance but I don’t know how 
I felt about the film. There have been five interpretations of Gatsby through the years, going all the way back to the ’30s.” He pauses, formulating a diplomatic way to point out that none of them quite nailed it. “I thought there was a way to take it on again.” There is. But with 3D glasses?

For DiCaprio, the road to Gatsby started 20 years ago. As a fresh-faced child actor, he flew to Australia to test for the lead in Baz Luhrmann’s Romeo + Juliet, which re-imagined Shakespeare’s tragedy as a Venice Beach fever dream. “Oh boy,” he says of that first trip. “I remember being there for about a week and I had my first scuba-diving experience on the Great Barrier Reef. I remember entering an entire Dr Seuss world. I hadn’t seen anything like that and it’s burned into my imagination forever.”

Read the full article in GQ's June.July 2013 issue.

http://www.gq.com.au/life/people/leonardo+dicaprio+,25267

Sic & Princess

As to Leo/outerspace, from my understanding , it is not the same as how far into space astronaut's travel, but it is certainly an experience most have never had and does require training .

Kat

Tks for GQ /Australia ; love the writer's description of him :Blond and absurdly handsome :p

From L.A. Times : amazing how many people who have already put down $200,0000 deposits

A guest at a charity auction at Cannes has paid 1.2 million euros ($1.5 million) for a trip into space with Leonardo DiCaprio.

AmFAR, a nonprofit devoted to AIDS research, held the auction Thursday night at the Hotel du Cap-Eden-Roc as part of its 20th annual Cinema Against AIDS event at the French film festival.

The winning bidder paid to travel into orbit on a Virgin Galactic spaceship in a seat next to DiCaprio's sometime in 2014.

DiCaprio, who is at Cannes promoting "The Great Gatsby," was in attendance at the charity event, which also included a dinner and fashion show.

Another pair of seats on the same flight sold to a different bidder for $1.8 million euros ($2.3 million). The winning bidders were not identified.

Virgin Galactic, a commercial spaceflight company owned by Richard Branson’s Virgin Group, has accepted more than $70 million in deposits from about 580 individuals who wish to travel to space.

The company is currently accepting bookings for the trips for a deposit of $200,000.

Cinema Against AIDS events have raised more than $80 million since 1993