Bellazon

Leonardo DiCaprio - (Please Read First Post Prior to Posting)
Thumbnail

moiselles

Great article about the actress who played Leo's mom in Gilbert Grape , and her 250 lb weight loss

Darlene Cates was unforgettable in What's Eating Gilbert Grape, playing Johnny Depp and Leonardo DiCaprio's morbidly obese mother Bonnie, who hasn't left the house in years while in the grips of depression following her husband's suicide.

Now, almost 20 years and a number of health problems later, Cates, 64, has lost nearly 250 lbs. – and is feeling optimistic that she might act again.

"I can do moms real well. I don't have to delve very deep to find Mom in there," the Forney, Texas, resident tells the Dallas Morning News in a new interview.

DiCaprio would agree. Gilbert Grape earned him his first Oscar nomination when he was just 19, and he later wrote Cates a note praising her acting – it's one of her most cherished possessions.

"I'm not really the best in expressing my words in writing but you are the most special person I have ever [met]," he wrote. "I'll always remember you as the best acting mamma I ever had. You triumphed in your role."

Cates would like more roles – one or two projects a year, she says. But first, she'll have to complete her recovery from a series of health scares and four surgeries that kept her in hospital for almost 11 months, until last November.

For now, she remains housebound. On one rare trip outside, on Father's Day back in June, Cates and her grandson were suddenly swarmed by butterflies. She saw it as a sign. "It was just like God was saying, 'I know you don't get out much, so here, this is a gift,' " she says.

Cates is down from 575 to 331 lbs., and hopes to lose 100 more. With luck, she'll be back outside before long, and will hopefully act again – following her acclaimed work two decades ago.

"I can always tell when [Gilbert Grape has] been on TV," she says. "There'll be a rush of [Facebook] 'friend' requests."

http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20619456,00.html

darlene-cates-2-600.jpg

Welcome Sunsmile!

interesting article

'Hobbit' behind 'Gatsby' delay?

HOLLYWOOD - It's not unusual for studios to juggle their release schedules, but when the bumped movie in question happens to be a high-profile, big-budget production originally given a prestige Christmas Day opening, it has folks talking.

And where The Great Gatsby was concerned, the $127 million Leonardo DiCaprio-Tobey Maguire edition which Warner Bros. just announced it was pushing to sometime next summer, the last-minute change in plans might get some to wonder if Gatsby may not be so great after all.

So what's behind the half-year delay?

According to a statement released by the studio, it was felt "movie-goers of all ages are going to embrace it, and it makes sense to ensure this unique film reaches the largest audience possible."

Possible translation #1: The studio thinks it has a better shot as a crowd-pleaser than an Oscar-worthy critics-pleaser.

Possible translation #2: With its lavish 3D effects, the typically extravagant Baz Luhrmann production (see Moulin Rouge, Romeo + Juliet) just wasn't going to be ready in time.

But we think there's another, more inside reason for the change of plans, and it's got everything to do with another high-profile, big-budget production on Warner Bros.' 2012 awards season roster.

It's the part one of Peter Jackson's The Hobbit, slated to arrive in North American theatres on Dec. 14, and, if it's anywhere as good as the Lord of the Rings movies (and there's no reason to think it won't be), it would be going after many of the same technical awards as the Luhrmann movie.

Considering Warner Bros. is going to be in the Hobbit habit for two more instalments (the first two were shot back to back) whereas Gatsby's a one-off, where do you think the studio would prefer to focus its Oscar-marketing energies?

And let's not forget another prestigious release on this year's WB schedule, namely Christopher Nolan's The Dark Knight Rises.

After failing to land 2008's The Dark Knight an anticipated Best Picture nomination, this would be the studio's last chance to do everything in its marketing power to do the trilogy -- and Nolan -- justice.

And it can't afford for an 87-year-old F. Scott Fitzgerald story to divert its Oscar-wooing attention.

http://www.torontosu...nd-gatsby-delay

Welcome SunSmile :wave:

Chris Rock:

"In stand-up, I'm Leo(nardo) DiCaprio," he said. "I get to play what I want to play. I can go wherever I want to go. I'm Leo. Leo gets the best scripts. 'Hey, hey man. Leo is coming.' Everybody knows that Leo is getting the best."

DiCaprio and girlfriend spotted on Nantucket

Try as they might to keep a low profile, it was hard to miss Hollywood hunk Leonardo DiCaprio and his girlfriend, Erin Heatherton , at the Beachside Bistro on Nantucket over the weekend. The cute couple spent most of the day Sunday lounging, eating, and drinking at the seaside spread that’s part of Danielle deBenedictis and Peter Karlson ’s Summer House compound. Hard to say why the pretty pair is here, but Heatherton does have a role in Adam Sandler ’s “Grown Ups 2,” and DiCaprio’s buddy Tobey Maguire is shooting director Jason Reitman ’s “Labor Day” (which was due to to shoot in Winchester Monday.) DiCaprio is cooling his heels because the release date of his latest film, Baz Luhrmann ’s “Great Gatsby,” has been pushed to next summer. . . . Boston actress Ari Graynor was at the Revere Hotel on Monday for a screening of her movie “For a Good Time, Call. . . ” She was joined by her costar Lauren Miller , wife of actor Seth Rogen , who has a bit part in the film.) . . . Former Celtic Shaquille O’Neal is back in the Bay State to film more scenes for “Grown Ups 2.”

Source: http://www.boston.com/names/2012/08/06/dicaprio-and-girlfriend-spotted-nantucket/e81lF7eKi3Pp48ejThIfLL/story.html

Thank you Francis and oxford.

I think the people who picked that particular list of stylish men (looking at all the choices) were applauding men who have their own unique (and to some) style in how they present themselves.

Sorry for not remembering who mentioned that the writer for the upcoming Leo bio was a writer for the UL tabloid News of the World , among others, but I also thought the same - this bio will be based mainly on heresay and gossip mixed with facts. My guesses on what the chapters cover based on the titles:

ere are the chapters, given by a person on tumblr

Prologue

chapter 1: Scumsville - Growing up in the seamier area of Los Angeles

chapter 2: Introducing lenny williams - Trying to find work as a child actor

chapter 3: Early rejections - Same

chapter 4: Catching the eye - early career success

chapter 5: Making a killing - same

chapter 6: Following the river - River Phoenix

chapter 7: A double tragedy - Not sure about this one

chapter 8: A modern day romeo - R&J period

chapter 9: Leo rising… and falling - Probably the misses such as Total Eclipse/ the Quick and the Dead as far as box office

chapter 10: Creating a monster - Titanic

chapter 11: The launch of ‘Leo- mania’ - self evident

chapter 12: Losing it - Not certain - Leo certainly didn't go into a spin after Titanic or lose it in any sense

chapter 13: Trouble in paradise - don't know

chapter 14: The Leo tamer - Probably referring to Gisele

chapter 15: Owning december - Not sure

chapter 16: Becoming the aviator - Self explanatory -The aviator

chapter 17: The parted - Probably about departing Gisele and also The Departed

chapter 18: Best Bar none - Refaeli

chapter 19: Going green - self explanatory

chapter 20: Under fire

chapter 21: Barometer of truth - global warming?

chapter 22: Are they, Are’t they? - who knows

chapter 23: Dream man - who knows

chapter 24: Looking lively - Blake

chapter 25: The most powerful man in america

chapter 26: The modeliser -

My thought in the missing spots.

Prologue

chapter 1: Scumsville - Growing up in the seamier area of Los Angeles

chapter 2: Introducing lenny williams - Trying to find work as a child actor

chapter 3: Early rejections - Same

chapter 4: Catching the eye - early career success

chapter 5: Making a killing - same Probably the misses such as Total Eclipse/ the Quick and the Dead as far as box office

chapter 6: Following the river - River Phoenix

chapter 7: A double tragedy - Not sure about this one Basketball diaries

chapter 8: A modern day romeo - R&J period

chapter 9: Leo rising… and falling - Probably the misses such as Total Eclipse/ the Quick and the Dead as far as box office The Pussy Posse- Party boy lifestyle

chapter 10: Creating a monster - Titanic

chapter 11: The launch of ‘Leo- mania’ - self evident

chapter 12: Losing it - Not certain - Leo certainly didn't go into a spin after Titanic or lose it in any sense Paparazzis

chapter 13: Trouble in paradise - don't know The Beach- Kristen Zang Breakup

chapter 14: The Leo tamer - Probably referring to Gisele

chapter 15: Owning december - Not sure Catch Me If You Can - Gangs of New York

chapter 16: Becoming the aviator - Self explanatory -The aviator

chapter 17: The parted - Probably about departing Gisele and also The Departed

chapter 18: Best Bar none - Refaeli

chapter 19: Going green - self explanatory

chapter 20: Under fire

chapter 21: Barometer of truth - global warming?

chapter 22: Are they, Are’t they? - Bar Refaeli On/off-again relation

chapter 23: Dream man - who knows Inception

chapter 24: Looking lively - Blake

chapter 25: The most powerful man in america J Edgar

chapter 26: The modeliser - Sydney- Erin Heatherton

^Thats what I was thinking too! Also thanks francis for the Nantucket article :)

Thanks Ox for the wolf filming info, and that leo was on a most stylish list!! :p Usually I would disagree with that, but sometimes leo surprises me with a very stylish outfit :p

Leos at #4 :p :D OF course we know all of them aren't true, but love the saying WWLD? :laugh:

The Top 10 Male Celebrities with the Best Dating Track Record

Women Dated: Juliette Lewis (1993), Brittany Daniel (1994-95), Bridget Hall (1995), Claire Danes (1995-96), Kristen Zang (1996-1997), Helena Christensen (1997), Linnea Dietrichson (1997), Eva Herzigova (1998), Vanessa Hayden (1998), Kidada Jones (1998), Bijou Phillips (1998), Amber Valletta (1998), Demi Moore (1998, 2002), Gisele Bundchen (2000-2005), Sienna Miller (2005), Bar Refaeli (2006-2009, 2010-2011), Emma Miller (2009), Ashley Roberts (2009), Anne Vyalitsyna (2009), Blake Lively (2011), Alyce Crawford (2011), Kendal Schuler (2011), Madalina Ghenea (2011), Erin Heatherton (2011-present)

Words fail. In terms of quality, Leo is unmatched. This is the age of serial monogamy, remember—a guy is just not going to put up Warren Beatty numbers. Some of these ladies carbon-date to the "Pussy Posse" era, when DiCaprio led a group of young bird-doggers that included Tobey McGuire, Kevin Connolly, Lukas Haas, and magician David Blaine, company that insured Leo was always the best looking guy in the room.

When it comes to your own pursuit of the pretty girls, don't waste your time praying to God or bargaining with the Devil. Just ask yourself WWLD—What Would Leo Do?

Note: No, we don't know what Leo would do. And if we did, we sure as hell wouldn't post it on the Internet for free. It's more of a rhetorical question.

Complex.com