Bellazon

Leonardo DiCaprio - (Please Read First Post Prior to Posting)
Thumbnail

moiselles

http://badassdigest.com/2012/04/24/cinemac...s-gorgeous-odd/

I don't know what the soundtrack for Baz Luhrmann's The Great Gatsby will be when it hits theaters, but I wouldn't be shocked if it wasn't similar to what played over the footage presentation at this year's CinemaCon: modern pop music. The footage opened with No Church in the Wild off Watch the Throne, and it felt completely appropriate to the over-the-top glamour of the Roaring 1920s.

In a pre-recorded bit, Luhrmann explained that there were no finished FX shots, and that there weren't even many wide shots. But what he showed us explained why he made the movie in 3D; Luhrmann's lush visual style translates wonderfully in the third dimension. He's always understood how to use depth, but in 3D he gets a new tool, and he uses it as extravagantly as all his other tools.

Even unfinished many of the scenes were stunningly gorgeous; Gatsby's lavish and crazy parties verge on cartoonish visions of the 1920s as brought to us by the most extreme popular entertainments of the time. Luhrmann uses the 3D to perfectly isolate characters in enormous sets. And he's not afraid of throwing fistsful of confetti right at the camera.

Then there's everything else. Is the movie totally heightened? Some of what we saw - like Nick first meeting Gatsby - seemed so heightened it wouldn't be out of place in Moulin Rouge. Other parts seemed very realistic, very downbeat... but I imagine the film will have dramatic tonal shifts as it moves along.

Leonardo DiCaprio seems to make a great Gatsby; utterly cool, totally distant, completely seductive. Leo seems comfortable in the period, as does Carey Mulligan, who looks divine as Daisy. Joel Edgerton briefly pops up as Tom, and I like his brawny physicality in contrast to Leo's icy thinness. The big question remains Toby Maguire, whose Nick comes across as a touch shrill and pubescent.

Whatever else The Great Gatsby offers, it will have one of the most gorgeous images I have seen on a screen this year - Gatsby in a coffin, surrounded by flowers, at the bottom of a spiral staircase. The camera pulls up, revealing the spiral and the form of Nick sprawled on the steps above his friend. It's an astonishing moment.

/quote]

Welcome Geegine and Calibi :wave:

Thanks a ton for that recent pic of leo!! :heart:

Fantastic that Gatsby is getting such positive buzz so far.... hope it continues :)

loved the Madalina interview... when they showed the pap pic it reminded me of when that Chicago show did the same thing to poor Erin :p

[name=calibi' date='Apr 28 2012, 02:07 AM' post='2873710]

http://badassdigest.com/2012/04/24/cinemac...s-gorgeous-odd/

I don't know what the soundtrack for Baz Luhrmann's The Great Gatsby will be when it hits theaters, but I wouldn't be shocked if it wasn't similar to what played over the footage presentation at this year's CinemaCon: modern pop music. The footage opened with No Church in the Wild off Watch the Throne, and it felt completely appropriate to the over-the-top glamour of the Roaring 1920s.

In a pre-recorded bit, Luhrmann explained that there were no finished FX shots, and that there weren't even many wide shots. But what he showed us explained why he made the movie in 3D; Luhrmann's lush visual style translates wonderfully in the third dimension. He's always understood how to use depth, but in 3D he gets a new tool, and he uses it as extravagantly as all his other tools.

Even unfinished many of the scenes were stunningly gorgeous; Gatsby's lavish and crazy parties verge on cartoonish visions of the 1920s as brought to us by the most extreme popular entertainments of the time. Luhrmann uses the 3D to perfectly isolate characters in enormous sets. And he's not afraid of throwing fistsful of confetti right at the camera.

Then there's everything else. Is the movie totally heightened? Some of what we saw - like Nick first meeting Gatsby - seemed so heightened it wouldn't be out of place in Moulin Rouge. Other parts seemed very realistic, very downbeat... but I imagine the film will have dramatic tonal shifts as it moves along.

Leonardo DiCaprio seems to make a great Gatsby; utterly cool, totally distant, completely seductive. Leo seems comfortable in the period, as does Carey Mulligan, who looks divine as Daisy. Joel Edgerton briefly pops up as Tom, and I like his brawny physicality in contrast to Leo's icy thinness. The big question remains Toby Maguire, whose Nick comes across as a touch shrill and pubescent.

Whatever else The Great Gatsby offers, it will have one of the most gorgeous images I have seen on a screen this year - Gatsby in a coffin, surrounded by flowers, at the bottom of a spiral staircase. The camera pulls up, revealing the spiral and the form of Nick sprawled on the steps above his friend. It's an astonishing moment.

Good article. Thanks for posting. Hi Girls! :wave: Hope you are all keeping well. Leo will be perfect as Gatsby I think : beautiful, mysterious and ultimately heartbreaking. Just right for the role. The whole producction will look dazzling and sumptuous I am sure because Baz does visually stunning so well. The use of pop music would n't surprise me either. Baz has done that before too and it worked okay. Hope it is n't too long before we see something more. A first poster usually comes out before any moving footage. I saw a message from Warner Bros on Twitter recently acknowledging that there had been some Gatsby posters on the web but confirming that they are fan made. If you notice they have all focused on Daisy. I am sure the authentic posters will feature Leo as Gatsby. He is the title character after all. It would be weird if a Gatsby poster did n't feature Gatsby :laugh:

Leo as Calvin - sexy beast :drool: Evil just should not be that attractive. I'm not a Tarantino fan. I much prefer Scorsese. However, this is something new for Leo and that's good. I'm sure he'll be brilliant. This also has Harvey in his corner which is n't usually a bad thing in Hollywood. No matter what anyone thinks of Harvey, he is good at his job and rarely fails to get what he wants. Looks like there is a feast of great stuff ahead for Leo fans this year.

Take care all :)

Calibi

Welcome :wave:

Thanks for pix of Leo with some of his Django castmates and Gatsby footage comments :)

Hopefully the guy will tweet another picture with Leo before his or Leo's filming time is over.

Dr Brown

Yes, agree about Harvey, hate or like him, he will pull out all the stops promoting Django :)

Also, thanks, for latest information regarding Gatsby poster.

JoJou

Thanks for information regarding Ethan being at Jazz Fest :)

As I mentioned recently in conversation with Kat, I looked up the event online, and it is a major music event, so that could well be why Q Tip is visting him now as well.

It is a shame though that neither thought to stop by and pick up a few of us to make the trip down with them :p

It would be great if we got some pix of the guy at Jazz Fest; I bet Jamie & Quentin will ,also, go .

post-52646-0-1446082935-48767_thumb.gif

Jesus,stop killing Leo! PLEASE!!! :cry::laugh:

Dr Brown,yeah...we'll all organize a big party to celebrate all these great characters and movies who will keep on coming. This year will be a great year for Leo fans and there's also one more special thing...his coming to Rio de Janeiro-Brazil in June!! :drool:

Tks for the articles girls! :)

2567fqo.gif

Jesus,stop killing Leo! PLEASE!!! :cry::laugh:

Dr Brown,yeah...we'll all organize a big party to celebrate all these great characters and movies who will keep on coming. This year will be a great year for Leo fans and there's also one more special thing...his coming to Rio de Janeiro-Brazil in June!! :drool:

Tks for the articles girls! :)

Hi Pami :wave: That ani is funny :laugh: We can all have a party where we are if this turns out to be as good a year for Leo as it promises to be.

That reminds me - the world's largest Titanic visitor experience just opened in my home city (Belfast - the city where Titanic was built). It's really well done and worth a look if you are ever in the city.

Pami

Yes, this should be a great year for all Leo fans; especially for all of his fans in Rio !!!

I do very much hope you get to see him and drool for all of us :p

Dr Brown

Thanks for information about Titanic exhibit in your home town; sounds very interesting. :)

Have they had any other type of special celebrations there connected with it being the 100th anniversary ?

Pami

Yes, this should be a great year for all Leo fans; especially for all of his fans in Rio !!!

I do very much hope you get to see him and drool for all of us :p

Yeah Oxford!!

I just cant wait anymore!! :) Let's see what will happen...it would be a dream come true! :p