Bellazon

Leonardo DiCaprio - (Please Read First Post Prior to Posting)
Thumbnail

moiselles

I know a lot of these have been posted before by you lovely ladies :grouphug:

But here's a roundup of Leo's reviews;

The Conversation: First 'J. Edgar' Responses Say DiCaprio is "Exceptional" (or "Beyond") and Oscar-Worthy

jedgardicapriohammer.jpg

Clint Eastwood's new biopic J. Edgar, which stars Leonardo DiCaprio as FBI director J. Edgar Hoover, premiered at AFI Fest in Los Angeles last night. A few full reviews and other responses have already arrived online, and while there is divisive opinion floating about, the general consensus is that the movie is so-so but both Leo and costar Armie Hammer are great and should each receive an Oscar nomination. And speaking of those two, there is a likeminded appreciation for the depiction of their characters' relationship (Hammer plays FBI Associate Director Clyde Tolson, Hoover's right-hand man and rumored lover), mostly in the much-better second half of the film.

What specifically are critics and others saying about the film? Here's The Conversation heard around the blogosphere and Twitter:

My gut feeling was that I had just seen a very good film -- but not one that is a slam-dunk for a best picture nomination or anything else (though I would be pretty surprised if, at the very least, DiCaprio doesn't make it into the best actor field and the film's showy makeup work isn't recognized). - Scott Feinberg, The Race

Leonardo DiCaprio is exceptional in the title role, digging into an incredibly complex character, committing from frame one to the embodiment and maintaining that course without losing focus. It's at times a broad portrayal of a broad persona, but I thought the actor found ways to dial it down and make the internal machinations of the man count. And I think it could very well carry him to that elusive first Oscar win. - Kristopher Tapley, In Contention

A tour-de-force performance as J. Edgar Hoover, young and old. [...] DiCaprio could move into the lead in the Best Actor category, and Armie Hammer, Judi Dench and Naomi Watts could be in the running for supporting nominations too. It may not be best picture, although some categories could go with a period film from the respected and popular Eastwood, from art direction and cinematography to makeup. Oscar-winning Milk screenwriter Dustin Lance Black enters some speculative territory, here; depending on critical reaction, he could be rewarded with a script nod. - Anne Thompson, Thompson on Hollywood

Despite its flaws, J. Edgar still manages to be one of my favorite movies of the year. [...] Leo DiCaprio is brilliant as J. Edgar Hoover. I was blown away by his performance. He managed to get every Hoover nuance, got the accent down, and transformed from a young Hoover to the old Hoover effortlessly. No other actor could have done it better. DiCaprio took a very hard, unlikable character and somehow made me care about him. I mean, Hoover is hardly an admirable guy, and at times he’s a little pathetic, but Leo’s performance gave Hoover a heart. God, he was just so good. Without a doubt, Leo DiCaprio will get an Oscar nod for this portrayal. (Actually, I think this may actually end up being Leo’s year to win!) - Gabrielle Adelle, The Young Folks

I doubt he’d win it. He surely will be nominated as this movie panders to the Oscar crowd. His performance was great and Oscars have been given out to weak movies before, but I just don’t see it. DiCaprio played the role extremely well highlighting Hoover’s eccentricities while showing how the man thought completely different from the rest of us. The best scenes, in my opinion, were the gay banter between himself and Clyde especially when their emotions erupted in the scene the audience could see coming from the fist time they met. - Matthew Fong, Advance Screenings

The truth about the domestic relationship is probably forever unknowable, but the way the homoerotic undertones and impulses are handled is one of the best things about the film; the emotional dynamics, given all the social and political factors at play, feel entirely credible, and the DiCaprio and Hammer excel during the exchanges of innuendo, covert desire, recriminations and mutual understanding. - Todd McCarthy, The Hollywood Reporter

True to Eastwood's understated nature, "J. Edgar" offers the "tasteful" treatment of such potentially salacious subject matter, though a more outre Oliver Stone-like approach might have made for a livelier film. With the exception of a few profanities (enough to land the pic an audience-limiting R rating) and a lone homoerotic wrestling scene so tame that Ken Russell's "Women in Love" feels like an X by comparison, the film could pass for something Warners would have released in an earlier era -- earlier even than many of the events depicted onscreen, as suggested by Tom Stern's cinematography, desaturated nearly to black-and-white. - Peter Debruge, Variety

In the second hour, Eastwood does what he does so well which is to focus on the characters. The scenes stretch longer and there are some exceptional moments [...] Indeed, as always, when Eastwood turns his compassionate eye onto the frailties and emotions of his characters, the film flies and reminds us why he remains one of the world’s most vital filmmakers. It’s hard not to tear up when Tolson sobs over Hoover’s body, but Eastwood isn’t making us cry about Hoover in particular. Ever the humanist, he is merely showing one man crying for the loss of his lifelong love. - Mike Goodridge, Screen Daily

At a moment when Hollywood is flailing about with tired remakes, Clint Eastwood, one of its more senior filmmakers, seems more determined than ever to stake new ground. His gripping new film “J. Edgar” is the polar opposite of contemporary studio product—a searing biopic about a megalomaniacal right-wing ideologue. - Peter Bart, Variety

The most powerful man in the world. The most boring biopic in history. [...] There are far too many moments that read as "Look at me, I'm acting!" which is the last thing you want an audience to think. [...] For as much time as these men spend together on screen, you'd think our investment in their relationship would be significant. And yet once these characters reach their twilight years, you can't help but feel we're watching a college theatre production of Waiting for Godot with twenty-somethings in heavy elderly makeup "acting" like senior citizens. - Michael Stailey, DVD Verdict

It mostly feels like a fantasy. [..] It's about as "true" as a film or mini-series about Queen Elizabeth I set in the 16th Century. Moreover, the film tiptoes around so many of his more nefarious deeds (the '50s and McCarthy are barely mentioned) that the picture slowly transforms into a portrait meant to justify Hoover's controversial life. It's troubling to realize some audiences who don't know that much about Hoover's history before seeing the film, will take a good chunk of it as fact. That's not the sort of film you'd expect from Clint Eastwood, is it? Well, luckily for the industry icon, Leonardo DiCaprio almost completely saves the day. - Gregory Ellwood, HitFix

@colliderfrosty: Leo is definitely getting a nomination.

@FyodorFish: Leo will get nominated, but will lose, probably to Clooney. Definitely won't win, though. Oscar-bait role, sure. Weak, sluggish film. He gets points for the old-age makeup, playing a historical character, true, but the performance lacks depth and heft.

@DavidPoland: Oy Edgar. No one is winning an Oscar. Some that were assumed nominated could be left out by all but the Globes. Painfully simplistic

@JackGi: Clint Eastwood was not the right director for J. Edgar. [Leo will] be lucky if he gets nominated. It's such an unsubtle performance. His accent slipped a whole lot, too. Just wish Eastwood trusted him more. There were scenes where he had him spelling things out, when he's clearly capable of saying those things internally.

@KevinBuckalew: Aside from a few good scenes, J. Edgar is a mess. No real personality. Sloppy storytelling, haphazard directing, and laughable performances. Wish I liked it more. It's just too dryly historical and uninvolving. Interesting ideas in it but they get glossed over. Mostly just disappointing, but parts are bad-bad. A few scenes work, Hammer is great. But it's uninvolving & messy.

@pekochan: J.Edgar - not so good. Inbetween moments of unintentional camp & melodrama, pretty ho-hum. Leo pulls out all the stops but just not enough.

@chrisvognar: Overall very impressed by J. Edgar. Eastwood is a craftsmen who generally rises to the occasion. Bigger the stakes, better the film.

@williambgoss: J. Edgar: like Hereafter, enjoyed more than expected. Leo portrays Hoover as insecure bulldog, with a touch of Eisenberg-as-Zuckerberg remove.

I don't know what game they mean, but.... :blush:

@ClayTravisBGID: Celebrities going to be here for UA/LSU game: Leonardo Dicaprio, Snoop Dogg, LeBron, Shaq and more.
omgitsjase Jason McCulloch

Who will be in Tuscaloosa for THE Game?

Tuscaloosa is a city in and the seat of Tuscaloosa County in west central Alabama (in the southeastern United States).

thanks to Google :p

so you,Americans may know what game they are talking about :cain:

Thanks everyone for all the pics and news. You Girls Rock! rock.jpg

thanks everybody - I guess you're all right about not being able to respond to everything - sorry for the pity party I was in :laugh:

It's Okay Solange :hug:

Although I must say, You put us in a bind. :mellow: I mean, after writing that post I already imagine you singing e023.gif

"All by myself

don't wanna be

all by myself

anymoooooooooooooore" :guitar:

In that case... You would be perfect for a karaoke night with Leo :actor:

:nicole:

Sic

Thanks for all the wonderful AFI pix and HR pix :)

Thanks for tweet , but personally, I doubt Leo will be attending the LSU/Alabama today in Alabama since it takes place tonight at same time as the big LACMA event he is co host of in L.A. :p

Wijn

Thanks for all the various review excerpts/tweets, :)

When it comes to reviews so far the only true big guns that Oscar pays attention to that have weighed in are Variety /Hollywood Reporter. Lots of internet critics have commented or tweeted , but they opinions don't carry the weight that the big L.A./NY/Chicago/etc print film critics carry. We'll see them weigh in as the film is released next week.

I just hope that when it comes to Leo's performance their opinions mirror that of the Variety/Hr critics , as well as, the majority of the internet critic/Oscar bloggers that Leo's performance is terrific and rises above any fault one may find with the movie :)

Plus now that all the possible contenders have shown their hand, one must take all future tweets /comments with a grain of salt, as all studios will send forth their soldiers to the world wide web to champion their film/actors while at same time trying to diminish/bash competing films and performances.

As anyone who has followed the Oscars know that Oscar campaigning is a dirty and fierce as political campaigning. And that often it is not the 'best film/performance' that wins but the studio that wins the campaigning wars :)

Thanks for weight article, and for sure, considering Leo went straight from last day of J Edgar filming to filming the Chinese phone commercial, he had to stay fit :)

Also, thanks, for repost of GQ cover .

Bennie

Adorable photo for sure :)

Sic

Thanks for all the wonderful AFI pix and HR pix :)

Thanks for tweet , but personally, I doubt Leo will be attending the LSU/Alabama today in Alabama since it takes place tonight at same time as the big LACMA event he is co host of in L.A. :p

you know what game they mean ?? :cain: baseball,or what ?? :blink:

Leonardo DiCaprio and his many college caps

:p

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/bl...rn=ncaab-249629

Sic

They are referring to the big college football showdown today between the two top college teams in the country : LSU and Alabama.

It is a highly anticipated game , and I'm sure there will be some famous people who attend, but , not our Leo :)

Thanks for funny Titanic picture.

L.A..Times interview with the J Edgar team

latimes.jpg

For nearly five decades, J. Edgar Hoover was the face of law enforcement in the U.S., but to most Americans, the longtime Federal Bureau of Investigations director remains an enigma. "J. Edgar," directed by Clint Eastwood and starring Leonardo DiCaprio as Hoover, chronicles the FBI founder's controversial tenure as a hunter of gangsters and a collector of secrets and explores his mystery-shrouded private life, defined by a devoted relationship to his colleague Clyde Tolson (Armie Hammer).

Last week at Warner Bros. studio

Hello sweeties!

I've had some problems with my connection... :(

But I try my best to come here and check some articles and pics.....hot pics!!! Tks girls!! :drool:

Hey....when we'll invite Leo to our party? ;)

Hollywood Reporter article about last night's LACMA J Edgar screening/Q&A

Nice hearing that when he viewed the film a second time he liked it even better , as typically anything of quality only improves with each viewing :)

post-52324-0-1446081252-42832_thumb.jpg

Last night, as part of a weekend-long celebration of Clint Eastwood, the Los Angeles County Museum of Art (LACMA) hosted a special screening of Eastwood's new film J. Edgar, followed by a Q&A with Eastwood, stars Leonardo DiCaprio and Armie Hammer, and writer Dustin Lance Black. After initially going to the Bing Theatre at USC instead of the Bing Theatre at LACMA -- thanks GPS -- I arrived in time to catch the second half of the film (the entirety of which I saw at its world premiere on Thursday night) and the Q&A (which was moderated by Charles McGrath of the New York Times).

Some highlights of the Q&A: Eastwood taking the stage dressed in sneakers and munching on a cookie; DiCaprio noting that Black told him that the secrecy of the Bush Administration after 9/11 inspired him to write the film as a cautionary tale if one man accumulates too much power and influence; Black laughing that when he went for his tour of the FBI it was led by some "lackey" but that when DiCaprio went for his it was led by Attorney General Eric Holder; DiCaprio noting that he met with a 90-something-year-old former colleague of Hoover's who was able to provide him with lots of good details about the man's mannerisms, humor, etc.; Black making it quite clear that he believes that Hoover and his longtime companion Clyde Tolson were indeed gay lovers (something that DiCaprio seemed less inclined to state outright); DiCaprio and Hammer divulging that it took them five to six hours and seven to eight hours, respectively, to be made up into the older versions of their characters; and Eastwood joking that he was always in his old age makeup.

Afterwards, Warner Brothers, which is distributing J. Edgar, held a small reception with the talent for some press types, including yours truly. A friend re-introduced me to Eastwood, who I met a few times three years ago when he was on the awards circuit for Gran Torino (2008) -- at the National Board of Review Awards, at the Santa Barbara International Film Festival, etc. -- and who, as always, couldn't have been more gracious. I mentioned that I had now seen J. Edgar twice in 24 hours, and he was very curious to hear my take on whether or not it improved on second viewing (it did) and in what ways (I picked up a lot of neat little facets of DiCaprio's performance that I'd overlooked the first time around, among other things).

I also asked him if he is open to the idea of acting again -- something we discussed three years ago after Torino -- and he said he's absolutely open to it if a strong enough part comes along. My friend told him that he wished Eastwood would do another western, since he became a movie lover watching Eastwood's Westerns, and Eastwood said he felt that he left things on about as high a note as he could with Unforgiven (1992), so it would take something really special for him to do another.

I noted that, even at 81, he still looks like he's in great enough shape to saddle up again, and certainly proved that when I was last saw him at Santa Barbara: as a crowd waited for his limo to pull up in front of the red carpet, he surprised everyone but getting dropped off behind the crowd, then sneaking through it towards the barricades that kept them from the red carpet, and then hopping over the barricades! Reminded of that, he simply delivered his now-iconic wry smile and chuckle.

Edgar Role Was 'Claustrophobic,' Says DiCaprio

http://www.zimbio.com/watch/aM4WMF5gkgc/J+...ainment+Tonight

Let me know if it's repeated and edit... Lately there's so much information that I can hardly keep up

Sean Penn, Leonardo DiCaprio Wanted For Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu's The Revenant

Back when Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu announced that his next directorial effort would be the period revenge thriller The Revenant, it was rumored he might reunite with his Biutiful leading man. Then Javier Bardem moved on to the high-profile gig of playing >a Bond villain, and Inarritu was forced to look elsewhere.

According to Deadline, the Babel director now would like to cast his 21 Grams lead Sean Penn alongside Leonardo DiCaprio for an adaptation of Michael Punke’s novel. The story follows frontiersmen in the 1820 who encounter a bear while on a fur-trapping expedition. When one trapper is mauled so badly he can’t be transported back to safety, his friend hires two men to watch him as he goes for help. The men, however, rob the wounded stranger, convinced he won’t make it. Guess what? He does, and sets out to track those who’ve wronged him.

The site says Inarritu would like Penn to play one of the wicked men who abandoned the mauled frontiersman. I wonder if that means DiCaprio, should he sign on, would play the bear victim who eventually muscles up and tracks the two fiends. Coming off of Django Unchained, this could be back-to-back badass period pieces for the Titanic pretty boy. Then again, Penn’s also hard at work on Gangster Squad, so he’s no slouch in the macho department. While I’m disappointed to hear that Bardem’s out, Inarritu instantly helps The Revenant if he’s able to lure Penn and DiCaprio to the project. We’ll keep you posted.

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Sean-Penn-L...nant-27752.html

Wow, thanks everyone!!!! All the pics, reviews, and whatnot! Benny I found the pic of Leo taking a lip pursed/duck face pic of him with the women hilarious! :laugh: That pic is freaking adorable :wub:

I love hearing all these people talk about leo getting nominated. It gets me even more excited for award season :woot: