• Announcements

    • Writers Wanted for BZ   03/11/2017

      We are looking for writers who can help us create content for a new front page. You can write about anything that you think BZ'ers would enjoy. Please send me, @maddog107 a message if you are interested. We can potentially pay something for each article you write. Thanks!  
goose

Football

12,130 posts in this topic

On the one hand, it's no real surprise to see Karanka given his marching orders. The apparent bust-ups with players, the club hovering around the bottom three and unable to score goals. On the other hand, it feels like strange timing from Gibson to decide that all those things are a problem now if they weren't before. The club showed remarkable patience with Karanka after he initially failed to deliver promotion, and he has a history of falling out with players in spectacular fashion, including last season when he allegedly stormed off the training ground and Steve Agnew had to take over for a week.

 

The problem for Guardiola at the moment is that City's defensive options simply don't measure up to the ones he had at both Barca and Bayern. Eventually, he'll have to make tactical changes because his current squad is unable to make a decent fist of his favoured approach, and there probably aren't any realistic summer transfer targets that could solve things.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 16/03/2017 at 1:05 PM, Michael* said:

On the one hand, it's no real surprise to see Karanka given his marching orders. The apparent bust-ups with players, the club hovering around the bottom three and unable to score goals. On the other hand, it feels like strange timing from Gibson to decide that all those things are a problem now if they weren't before. The club showed remarkable patience with Karanka after he initially failed to deliver promotion, and he has a history of falling out with players in spectacular fashion, including last season when he allegedly stormed off the training ground and Steve Agnew had to take over for a week.

International break coming up, theoretically gives a madhouse an opportunity to re-organise. Caretaker will get a free pass on the Man U game then a (potential) new man gets a clean run at the next three not unreasonable fixtures: Hull, Swansea and Burnley. I still think they're toast.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Happy to avoid the Leicester 'show' and happier to let the big beasts murder each other. Monaco are there for a reason and they score goals for fun so it could be a razor tight affair. Seeing 'Cardiff' and 'Champions League' in the same graphic makes me think I'm living in a Vincent Tan fever dream.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dortmund and Monaco could easily be the tie of the round. Atletico is pretty much Leicester's worst case scenario, a well organised team who are not only rock-solid at the back but also have the class to retain possession, not really suited for Leicester's 'underdog' football.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Unable to beat Burnley at home despite creating a host of chances in the second half. If there's one thing I've learned from our previous scrapes, it's that making predictions is a mug's game, but at the same time, there are only so many ways to keep your head above water. It's starting to look like we might have finally exhausted them all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Michael* said:

Unable to beat Burnley at home despite creating a host of chances in the second half. If there's one thing I've learned from our previous scrapes, it's that making predictions is a mug's game, but at the same time, there are only so many ways to keep your head above water. It's starting to look like we might have finally exhausted them all.

The goal drought is alarming but God help me I can just about see a way out for Moyesy's misfits. How have performances generally been since you smashed up Palace? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎19‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 5:38 PM, Frederick said:

The goal drought is alarming but God help me I can just about see a way out for Moyesy's misfits. How have performances generally been since you smashed up Palace? 

 

While the only really grim performance we've turned in since the Palace victory was in the following game against Southampton, where conceding two quick goals led to us capitulating horribly in the second half, we've looked devoid of pace and attacking thrust for long stretches. On paper, Moyes' decision in January to cash in on Van Aanholt and replace him with Oviedo was the right one because the latter is by far the better all-round player, but it also removed our only secondary goal threat. Now, with half chances falling instead to crapkickers like Rodwell and Jones, it's hard to see how we're going to score if Defoe isn't firing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Quite enjoyed the emotional music when Lukas Podolski was subbed there. As much as I'd like to see us try it while replacing Seb Larsson with Donald Love, I can't really see it catching on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

12 hours ago, Michael* said:

Quite enjoyed the emotional music when Lukas Podolski was subbed there. As much as I'd like to see us try it while replacing Seb Larsson with Donald Love, I can't really see it catching on.

The whole daft procedure seemed fairly in keeping with Podolski's fairly weird career. Was disappointed he didn't come off to the sound of his own smash hit single.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.