Bellazon

Football

goose

On 12/05/2016 at 5:31 PM, Frederick said:

Beat Norwich at home and didn't lose to Newcastle in either game. The only proof I need that they both deserved to go down. 

I'm so relieved that we were already safe going into the game against Watford, officiating like yesterday's would be your absolute worst nightmare if you were fighting for survival on the last day. :wacko:

It's taken Big Sam most of the season to arrive at a system good enough to make it hard for the opposition to beat us, but he's done an excellent job of it. He appears to have full control over recruitment, and as far as I can tell, is very good at getting the right players in and the wrong players out. This was our tenth year in the top flight, and the eleventh will be our biggest and (most probably our last) opportunity to consolidate. My fingers are well and truly crossed that by this time in 2017, we'll be just another dull middle order Premier League project.

12 minutes ago, Stromboli1 said:

I can wait for the football world to praise Zidane when he wins the CL and yada yada yada. Then is sacked/fired halfway through the next campaign. :rofl:

If his Real Madrid predecessor's career trajectory is anything to go by, old 'ZZ Top' could easily be managing in the Championship by this time next year. :pinch:

22 hours ago, Frederick said:

Even a momentary glance at Randy's farewell statement will tell you just how far off the reservation the chap now is. Uncomfortable reading. Anyway, welcome Dr. Tony, Recon and our new 1 billion fans. 

Xia has bagged one of the most famous clubs in the English game for the price of two Roberto Soldados. I suppose the hope is that he's already looking at the sustainable models, not only at the likes of Swansea and Southampton, but also analysing how many Spanish and German clubs are able to enjoy more successes with fewer resources than their English counterparts, many of whom have been stuck in the 'Harry Redknapp football consultant' mindset for far too long.

Any preferences for a new manager, Fred?

5 hours ago, Michael* said:

Any preferences for a new manager, Fred?

Pearson is clearly potty and I'd legitimately forgotten 'RDM' existed but when you've been humiliated, disgraced, debauched and THEN managed by Eric Black, your standards loosen up a bit. Not enough for Steve Bruce, in this lifetime or the next, mind.

However tangled Van Gaal's logic became, and in fairness it was like he was going out of his way to play players out of position towards the end, his thinking was crystal clear in comparison to those higher up the totem pole at United.

Next season is already shaping up to be a strange one in the Premier League. Mourinho and Guardiola have a history of taking over teams with an existing and successful core of players in their early to mid twenties, then riding the wave of success and leaving when it starts to subside a bit. Neither Manchester club could realistically lay claim to those strengths at the moment, both probably need about half a dozen new faces each to get to the level their managers are used to, then perhaps another two or three to get them to the next level.

I flat out don't like ManU at all.

LvG and the players he brought in made me indifferent towards ManU.

LvG left some good young players for Mourinho to build upon and bring in players. Whatever personnel changes Jose makes, he can't let De Gea go if he wants to challenge for a CL spot/PL title.

While Van Gaal's funny ways alienated a lot of the fans, he's left United in a decent position - if not one of immense strength, then certainly with firm foundations and good potential. It'll get harder and harder for the club to remain a marketing powerhouse while finishing fifth and playing stodgy, conservative football, but if Jose delivers Champions League qualification and restores them to being something of a feared team, they'll probably put it down as a win and accept whatever mess he creates on his way out.

• 1 month later...