Bellazon

Football

goose

I am not a fan of best ever conversations, I prefer what I saw today which was simply celebrating the greatness of a great player. Some Spanish language and English language coverage I watched of the Champions League matches today included a lot of Maradona talk. His success with Argentina usually dominates his career highlights, but I enjoy hearing the Napoli stories (maybe even more).

I always think it feels vaguely childish to even try and compare, apart from anything else, the advantage of wall-to-wall television coverage means that no-one would have seen as much of, say, Brazil 1970 as the current generation has of today's teams.

Presumably Maradona's legend will only grow now, though. There's just something uniquely fascinating about him, precisely because his is such a compulsive blend of glory and controversy.

Taxi for Parky. Quite intriguing timing given the rumours of a takeover by young Kyril. Seemed things were going relatively well just a month ago then the goals dried up with the Griggs n' Graham axis looking particularly bereft. My impression was you weren't much of a fan of PP, so how are we feeling, @Michael*? Who do the fans want? 

On 11/29/2020 at 6:55 PM, Frederick said:

Taxi for Parky. Quite intriguing timing given the rumours of a takeover by young Kyril. Seemed things were going relatively well just a month ago then the goals dried up with the Griggs n' Graham axis looking particularly bereft. My impression was you weren't much of a fan of PP, so how are we feeling, @Michael*? Who do the fans want? 

I know for me apathy has replaced anger lately, and as much I'm not a fan of this seemingly endless cycle of sacking managers it did look like Parkinson's time was up. There are a lot of mitigating factors for the mess we've found ourselves in but the stodgy, conservative football, hopeful punts from deep to no-one, stubbornness from the sidelines and all-too ready acceptance of unacceptable results were starting to border on torturous.

Still, even with Parky now gone and the potential of a takeover progressing, that familiar sense of cautiousness and suspicion refuses to shift altogether. Some of the names linked sound like they could do a job, but I've a feeling that we might see a broader net cast this time and hopefully beyond the usual odds-on favourites. It's always fun though, despite having only presided over a handful of UAE Arabian Gulf League games since the mid 2000s, to see David O'Leary get a mention.

1 hour ago, Michael* said:

It's always fun though, despite having only presided over a handful of UAE Arabian Gulf League games since the mid 2000s, to see David O'Leary get a mention.

Seeing Gary Megson at 40/1 warms my heart. Netflix would be back at the SOL like a shot, were such a glorious eventuality to transpire.

3 hours ago, Frederick said:

Seeing Gary Megson at 40/1 warms my heart. Netflix would be back at the SOL like a shot, were such a glorious eventuality to transpire.

I can bring to mind Sir Meggo being linked with us as far back as the Quinn-Phillips era, he always strikes me as one of those managers where you could stick a loudspeaker on the halfway line, play a sample of him shouting "hoof it to Big Chas" and results would be more or less the same. Thankfully never came to fruition, but who knows, law of averages and all that.

It looked a bold move for Lee Johnson to take charge so soon after his appointment, in hindsight he probably thought it was an opportunity for an easy three points. Well, he's getting to know the real Sunderland already after being soundly beaten at home against the league's whipping boys.

Bailey Wright completing his transformation into a lower division Wes Brown aside though, I thought the tempo and impetus was better. Hard to be worse but still improved.

4 hours ago, Michael* said:

It looked a bold move for Lee Johnson to take charge so soon after his appointment, in hindsight he probably thought it was an opportunity for an easy three points. Well, he's getting to know the real Sunderland already after being soundly beaten at home against the league's whipping boys.

Bailey Wright completing his transformation into a lower division Wes Brown aside though, I thought the tempo and impetus was better. Hard to be worse but still improved.

Not only did Gary's son swoop in for his first game without so much as unpacking his Filofax, he changed the goalie, formation and brought my eternal rosebud Aiden McGeady in from the cold in a scene that I presume was as burly and intense as that one in the Fast & Furious franchise where The Rock brawled with Jason Statham/let him out of prison to help "the family" (even though Jason's character, er, murdered one of said family in the previous film). Will Arteta's replacement have the courage to do the same with Mesut O. for Arsenal's impending battle against relegation? I'll wait to see what Chunkz and the Saturday Social ladz think and get back to you!

24 minutes ago, Frederick said:

Not only did Gary's son swoop in for his first game without so much as unpacking his Filofax, he changed the goalie, formation and brought my eternal rosebud Aiden McGeady in from the cold in a scene that I presume was as burly and intense as that one in the Fast & Furious franchise where The Rock brawled with Jason Statham/let him out of prison to help "the family" (even though Jason's character, er, murdered one of said family in the previous film). Will Arteta's replacement have the courage to do the same with Mesut O. for Arsenal's impending battle against relegation? I'll wait to see what Chunkz and the Saturday Social ladz think and get back to you!

I've been canvassing opinion amongst Arsenal fans, sounds like they want a young manager with experience, an up and coming hungry trier who has won leagues elsewhere and proved himself, who rules with an iron fist and encourages the players with an arm around them, and a progressive tactician who plays 4-4-2, a big'un and a little’un up front and none of this wing-back nonsense.

12 hours ago, Michael* said:

I've been canvassing opinion amongst Arsenal fans, sounds like they want a young manager with experience, an up and coming hungry trier who has won leagues elsewhere and proved himself, who rules with an iron fist and encourages the players with an arm around them, and a progressive tactician who plays 4-4-2, a big'un and a little’un up front and none of this wing-back nonsense.

Can Thomas Partey do it on a cold Tuesday night at Oakwell? Will P-E Aubemayang be able to handle the pressures of playing at Kenilworth Road? Will Granit Xhaka combust the first time Britt Assombalonga nutmegs him? Stay tuned for David Ornstein's 30,000 word tome on all this and much, much more!

Goodnight, Lucien. Anything other than an absolute drubbing yesterday and I doubt this happens, but it did (oh, sweet unforgiving baby Jesus and the three wise men, how it ever did), and I'm not going to fight it one way or the other. A good man with some admirable traits, no doubt, but performances have by and large been hard to love for quite some time, with yesterday a simply pathetic denouement to his reign.  

You always had that feeling that someone would sound the Big Sam alarm at some stage of the season, and having already tried Pulis and Pards in the last five years, one could never accuse West Brom of not knowing their place in the footballing world. Just seems like the right club at the right time.

• 3 weeks later...

As of today, Royal Antwerp's Didier Lamkel Ze is my new favourite player.

On 1/5/2021 at 1:57 PM, Michael* said:

Joey Barton lasted a lot longer than I thought he would at Fleetwood, and only committed assault once. That's progress, ask anyone.

I'd like to see our Joseph back in the hot seat sooner rather than later, not least because I fear he'll write a novel or burn down a fish & chip shop if he's got too much downtime.  

On 12/17/2020 at 1:03 PM, Michael* said:

You always had that feeling that someone would sound the Big Sam alarm at some stage of the season, and having already tried Pulis and Pards in the last five years, one could never accuse West Brom of not knowing their place in the footballing world. Just seems like the right club at the right time.

"Youri, is that you, fella? Yeah, it's Big Sam. Yeah, good, thanks. The thing is, lad, I'm getting the band back together for one last job. Yeah, I know, you're 52 years-old, but so is Fernando Hierro, and he's already sliced Charlie Austin's leg off in training. Come on, your C.V'll look empty 'til you've played alongside Jake Livermore. Hello? Hello? Bonjour? Little Sam, what's wrong with this line?!"

5 hours ago, Frederick said:

I'd like to see our Joseph back in the hot seat sooner rather than later, not least because I fear he'll write a novel or burn down a fish & chip shop if he's got too much downtime.  

Sheffield Wednesday fans perhaps nervously refreshing their BBC Sport feeds as we speak, as am I in case he's given a gig on Match of the Day.

One can only imagine what the lad Dreyfus, having presumably grown up watching the likes of Drogba, Valbuena and Ribery at Marseille, must have been thinking when Danny Graham came on for Big Chazza Wyke last night. Graham isn't far off being the shape of Neville Southall these days, with roughly about half the agility.