Bellazon

Football

goose

On 9/30/2020 at 11:21 AM, Frederick said:

Welcome aboard, Big Ross Barkley. Going to put my neck on the block by saying I think you'll do better than the last Ross to grace our colours, as well as our last midfield loan signing from Chelsea. 

Whenever a transfer out of a "big six" club happens, the deal always seems to come with the caveat of "if he gets back to the player he was," but as much as the dream of him becoming a world class midfielder was wishful thinking from the press gang (international football being a very different kettle of fish from having a good game against Brighton), I honestly don't get that impression from Barkley. The lad looks as if he wants to play and should carry some of the creative burden.

9 hours ago, Michael* said:

Did I imagine Graeme Souness at half time blaming the length of the grass? If a decent lawnmower was all Liverpool needed this evening then 2020 may have just taken on a new level of surrealism.

Praise so begrudging it feels threatening, inane conspiracy, casual xenophobia, awkward glances at David Jones, fair to say my Graeme Souness bingo board was fully covered yesterday. 

• 2 weeks later...

No Isco, no club or party at which people dance to recorded pop music.

That scoreline was flattering for Madrid, honestly. It remains absolutely baffling that when Ramos is missing the team just loses so much character. I wouldn't dare bet on the Clasico this weekend.

11 hours ago, Michael* said:

No Isco, no club or party at which people dance to recorded pop music.

That scoreline was flattering for Madrid, honestly. It remains absolutely baffling that when Ramos is missing the team just loses so much character. I wouldn't dare bet on the Clasico this weekend.

I get that Madrid needed to clear the decks of a lumpy squad and save some wonga during these Strange & Uncertain Times, but if Militao is part of the remedy, then maybe I'll stick with the illness. Asensio, I just don't get it. I probably never will. Varane, wakey wakey, old bean. Jovic, does one choose to laugh or cry? They'll still probably win La Liga, such is the state of things, but I suggest we all get ourselves an Eden Hazard endorsed Cadbury bar and watch Sociedad instead.    

8 hours ago, Frederick said:

I get that Madrid needed to clear the decks of a lumpy squad and save some wonga during these Strange & Uncertain Times, but if Militao is part of the remedy, then maybe I'll stick with the illness. Asensio, I just don't get it. I probably never will. Varane, wakey wakey, old bean. Jovic, does one choose to laugh or cry? They'll still probably win La Liga, such is the state of things, but I suggest we all get ourselves an Eden Hazard endorsed Cadbury bar and watch Sociedad instead.    

It would have been fascinating to have seen Casemiro's heat map during the first half, from the way he was lolloping about the centre circle one could be forgiven for thinking he was out for an afternoon stroll.

Madrid are perhaps suffering from slightly less of an identity crisis than Barca these days, but the best players are certainly passing their prime and with new stars seemingly yet to emerge. Hazard, barring a magical turnaround and a truckload of important goals and assists, must be a candidate for the worst high-profile transfer in football history, and there's every chance that Gareth Bale will be back next season to wait out his contract like a pillock.

15 hours ago, jkjk said:

Ajax had no interest in being nice today.

Clearly, it's all gone downhill for Venlo since Lee Cattermole left.

I myself would have liked a fourteenth to feel comfortable, but that may be just what supporting Sunderland does to your psyche.

7 hours ago, Michael* said:

I myself would have liked a fourteenth to feel comfortable, but that may be just what supporting Sunderland does to your psyche.

It could be worse, at least Sunderland still exists. (that sounds less positive than it did in my head)  :smile:

I predict promotion for Sunderland.   :thumbs_up:

On 10/25/2020 at 7:03 PM, jkjk said:

It could be worse, at least Sunderland still exists. (that sounds less positive than it did in my head)  :smile:

I predict promotion for Sunderland.   :thumbs_up:

Let's hope so, although deep down I think we all knew a result like the Portsmouth one was on the horizon. The expectation is that we should be stronger with a full season of a squad indoctrinated into old 'Jurassic' Parkinson's methods, I guess only time will tell if we have enough quality in the right areas to compensate for what promises to be a rather predictable style of play.

• 2 weeks later...
22 hours ago, Michael* said:

There I was predicting that the Scots would blow it after that late equaliser. The image of David Marshall waiting for the ref to approve his penalty save before going mental will stay with me forever, I think. 

Scotland almost have the makings of a half-decent team, compared to the absolute drivel the Irish served up at Wembley, you'd say Stevie C.'s got them playing liquid football. More importantly, is there any chance Del Amitri pen another cripplingly dour song to serenade the nation? 

7 hours ago, Frederick said:

Scotland almost have the makings of a half-decent team, compared to the absolute drivel the Irish served up at Wembley, you'd say Stevie C.'s got them playing liquid football. More importantly, is there any chance Del Amitri pen another cripplingly dour song to serenade the nation? 

Slow, plodding and miserable with an underlying emotion chiming perfectly with the Scotland fans, just a pity Arab Strap never had the chance to write one.

Hard to believe that the last time we had Scottish representation at a major tournament was 1998, though. The Brazilian corner where more or less everyone thought "I'll mark Ronaldo" and someone else scored is permanently imprinted on my brain.

• 2 weeks later...

What a pleasure it's been this evening to spend an hour or so on YouTube looking at Diego Maradona's finest moments. The rest of the Napoli players singing his song in the changing rooms after winning the Serie A title (it's in the Asif Kapadia documentary as well) is my favourite.