Bellazon

Football

goose

2 hours ago, jkjk said:

Please not Messi to Manchester City, please.    :smile:

Were I a betting man (which, save for the occasional frivolous fiver during the World Cup or the Euros, I'm not), my money would be on him staying. I'll be astounded if the whole caper amounts to more than a fairly cynical attempt to remove Bartomeu.

1 hour ago, Frederick said:

Can't believe one of the most successful institutions in the global game is parting ways with its greatest ever. Reinstate Charlie, Thommo and Le Tiss right now!  

For my sins, I had a peek at Le Tiss's Twitter earlier today, scrolled for five minutes and only made it to the 21st of August. Presumably he thinks George Soros is responsible for his removal.

57 minutes ago, Michael* said:

For my sins, I had a peek at Le Tiss's Twitter earlier today, scrolled for five minutes and only made it to the 21st of August. Presumably he thinks George Soros is responsible for his removal.

I doubt Frank McLintock has a politically minded Twitter presence, might it be time to bring the charismatic 80 year-old back into the fold? 

27 minutes ago, Frederick said:

I doubt Frank McLintock has a politically minded Twitter presence, might it be time to bring the charismatic 80 year-old back into the fold? 

If erudite, witty and relevant is what they're after then I should think the stage is set for the peerless Rodney Marsh to make his triumphant return.

Harry Redknapp is always an option too of course, perhaps depending on how soon they need someone to provide analysis on why Mason Mount should win the Ballon d'Or.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/20/2016 at 5:18 PM, Michael* said:

Shame to see old 'Golden' Graham leave us, as he probably could have come good had he been given a bit longer. Some players don't reach their full potential until they're in their mid-fifties, and this could easily come back and bite us in 25-30 years' time.

I had my clipboard at the ready, was just waiting to draw a tick in the appropriate box.

On 9/7/2020 at 6:34 PM, Michael* said:

I had my clipboard at the ready, was just waiting to draw a tick in the appropriate box.

If a Grigg-Graham axis doesn't get Netflix back over to the Stadium of Light to film a third season, what will?! Curious to know your thoughts on Parkinson, Michael (see what I did there?). Cup miracle man back in the day, but a good fit? Dare I say the rough stuff he encountered at Bolton might make even ol' troublesome Sunderland look comparatively light work? Incidentally, for some reason he's one of those managers I can only ever envision standing on the sidelines being absolutely battered by rain, I literally cannot draw up an image of him with dry hair. Not gonna ask for the billionth time if this is the season Aiden McGeady puts it all together, would you rather ship him or give him one more crack? Can't imagine any takers beyond Hibs, perhaps.

*Checks to see who we've got in the EFL Trophy after posting, ooh Sunderland. Checks final score hours later, mother of God.

On 9/8/2020 at 1:23 PM, Frederick said:

If a Grigg-Graham axis doesn't get Netflix back over to the Stadium of Light to film a third season, what will?! Curious to know your thoughts on Parkinson, Michael (see what I did there?). Cup miracle man back in the day, but a good fit? Dare I say the rough stuff he encountered at Bolton might make even ol' troublesome Sunderland look comparatively light work? Incidentally, for some reason he's one of those managers I can only ever envision standing on the sidelines being absolutely battered by rain, I literally cannot draw up an image of him with dry hair. Not gonna ask for the billionth time if this is the season Aiden McGeady puts it all together, would you rather ship him or give him one more crack? Can't imagine any takers beyond Hibs, perhaps.

*Checks to see who we've got in the EFL Trophy after posting, ooh Sunderland. Checks final score hours later, mother of God.

It's hard to remember a time when things felt so desperately poor on the pitch and so shabby off it, and while few of our ongoing problems could reasonably be stacked at Parkinson's door, I've yet to be entirely convinced of his merits. His record so far doesn't exactly scream next level stuff and whenever we've been worked out by an opponent, we seem to just keep plugging away with the same personnel and same tactics. It's the definition of madness, but I can't see him ever changing.

Of concern too will be the spectre of McGeady if we don't hit the ground running and, as is looking likely, the club leaves him to train with the kids. I myself would be tempted to give the lad one last crack, for all the talk that he's expensive, in the twilight of his career and a pain in the bum to manage, a handful of his flashbulb moments could be enough to see us promoted.

An all-too familiar story today, unable to find a winner despite late pressure. If that was any indication of how this season is going to go, it's unlikely to bring much in the way of entertainment, and given that our biggest goalscoring hope is the rather forlorn one that Will Grigg gets back to the player he was at Wigan and MK Dons, we'll certainly struggle to score. The goals against Villa U21s were mainly from set pieces and really just epitomised how old pros can bully young kids.

1 hour ago, Frederick said:

First it was Wolves and Leeds, now chuffin' Everton are the darlings of the croissant scoffing, podcasts for every throw in, xG as dogma Athletic subscribing bourgeoise! 

Everton's most impressive addition this season is undoubtedly Hummel, for beautiful kits there's no one better in the business. Meanwhile Jose already looks to have set the clock ticking at Spurs, during his post match interview you could almost hear the getaway car revving up in the background.

Villa made hard work of it tonight, but that was a game they would perhaps have lost last season and on a relative off-day for Grealish no less.

Has it been a satisfactory window for you, Fred? From an outsider's perspective, it looks as though a comfortable mid-table finish could be within reach. I'd like to see Watkins step up after a dynamite season for Brentford.

17 hours ago, Michael* said:

Villa made hard work of it tonight, but that was a game they would perhaps have lost last season and on a relative off-day for Grealish no less.

Has it been a satisfactory window for you, Fred? From an outsider's perspective, it looks as though a comfortable mid-table finish could be within reach. I'd like to see Watkins step up after a dynamite season for Brentford.

Cautious optimism as you'd expect, but credit to the owners and Purslow for stepping it up and paying the big boy wages to pip other teams to the targets we really wanted. Certainly can't argue with Martinez, finally after fifty attempts we have obtained a goalie who's appropriately aged, able bodied and seemingly of sound mind, all at the same time. Cash will need time but fits the profile of needing more from right-back going forward, though I'd be happy to keep Guilbert as back-up as I think he's quite decent. If Engels were to leave, we'd surely need another centre-half to come into the squad, preferably a hairy arsed veteran, given the injury record/inexperience of Mings, Konsa and Hause (who I just don't think is of the requisite level anyway, to be honest). As you saw last night, when Jack isn't up to speed things can transpire lethargically, I'm hoping Traore and er, Some Other New Signing can inject some much needed velocity and craft because we can't afford to be a one man band creatively. McGinn has mostly looked way off the boil since he returned from injury, Hourihane is pretty mercurial, Trezeguet is a cameo giver and everybody's favourite, Dougie Luiz, has got enough to do as it is. I'd be lying if I said I'd seen much of Watkins before the play-off final, but if he gets 12 goals in the league this season I'll pay for the statue*of him outside the ground myself (*reduced to a matchstick man if we get relegated).

On 9/26/2020 at 8:32 PM, Michael* said:

Ole's at the wheel but sadly still only has his provisional.

With Cocu struggling at Derby it's only a matter of time before they instigate Project Wayne Rooney: Player-Manager, so I suggest United sack OGS today to ensure they bag their man. Ed Woodward'll know they can't afford to let this one slip, like they did with Alan Curbishley in 2001.

2 hours ago, Frederick said:

With Cocu struggling at Derby it's only a matter of time before they instigate Project Wayne Rooney: Player-Manager, so I suggest United sack OGS today to ensure they bag their man. Ed Woodward'll know they can't afford to let this one slip, like they did with Alan Curbishley in 2001.

The chop will probably come for Cocu at Wayne Rooney's Derby with the inevitable defeat to Norwich next week, but in all likelihood Wayne Rooney's Derby will still push for promotion in a manner not seen since Frank Lampard's Derby.

Seriously though, it's surely only now a matter of time before we see Young Master Wayne installed as PM. Player-manager that is, the last thing Britain needs at this critical time is a hideously unqualified Prime Minister. Ahem.