Bellazon

Football

goose

10 hours ago, Frederick said:

...AND Craig Gardner missed two sitters. What a game, eh?

Poetic justice of course for the lad Grealish to bag the winning goal, and to be able to shrug off something like that, well he's a better man than I. Gardner can expect to receive a kicking for missing those two gilt-edged chances. Not a literal kicking though, Birmingham fans.

Seriously though, this kind of thing is next level, it's obviously not on and can't be explained away as tribalism.

On ‎3‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 1:10 AM, Michael* said:

Poetic justice of course for the lad Grealish to bag the winning goal, and to be able to shrug off something like that, well he's a better man than I. Gardner can expect to receive a kicking for missing those two gilt-edged chances. Not a literal kicking though, Birmingham fans.

Seriously though, this kind of thing is next level, it's obviously not on and can't be explained away as tribalism.

Them begging us to allow them to play Gary Gardner against us should have been sufficient "and that's why they're Birmingham City" for a season but c'est la vie. 

1 hour ago, jkjk said:

I would have preferred no Juve in the quarters. Maybe a Juve/City pairing would be a good thing?

It was a twist that will have surprised precisely no-one, which in itself is rather awesome praise, but tonight belongs to Ronaldo and deservedly so.

This year's Champions League knockout stage has delivered more than its fair share of crackers already, although obviously, I hope there's more to come.

What's the point of having FFP if UEFA doesn't enforce it and allows clubs to appeal their transfer bans to only reduce the transfer ban length?

Uphold the bans you limp dick fucks!

Corruption in football.

41 minutes ago, Stromboli1 said:

Corruption in football.

I was thinking about corruption this week, too. The news about the Qatar World Cup probably being expanded to 48 teams reminded me how ridiculous it is that they were allowed to keep the Cup at all.

32 minutes ago, jkjk said:

I was thinking about corruption this week, too. The news about the Qatar World Cup probably being expanded to 48 teams reminded me how ridiculous it is that they were allowed to keep the Cup at all.

Screw the Qatari WC! I seriously hope NTs boycott this World Cup and it puts pressure on FIFA to move it to Australia.

The World Cup expansion has been an inevitability for a while, but the biggest issue for me is less about the number of teams, more the fact that it's impossible to have a sensible opening phase when it doesn't transition smoothly into a 16-team knockout round. I suspect the groups of three will be scrapped after the one tournament, and then revert to twelve groups of four with only the winners and four of the best runners-up going through.

From the options that did appear to be on the table though, I personally would have preferred 40 teams with the 24 highest ranked going straight into groups of four, with the other 16 in play-offs deciding the eight remaining group places.

On ‎3‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 3:18 PM, Frederick said:

Them begging us to allow them to play Gary Gardner against us should have been sufficient "and that's why they're Birmingham City" for a season but c'est la vie. 

Fine, throw in a nine point deduction while you're at it.

55 minutes ago, Frederick said:

Alex McLeish, ladies and gents.

One has to wonder now how much the World Cup would need to be expanded to allow Scotland a chance to qualify.

As for McLeish, he's useless of course but his record in club management was appalling for years, resulting in a situation where he couldn't get a sniff of a job anywhere until the SFA came calling. Fear not though Scottish fans, David Moyes comes highly recommended. By David Moyes.

1 hour ago, Michael* said:

One has to wonder now how much the World Cup would need to be expanded to allow Scotland a chance to qualify.

As for McLeish, he's useless of course but his record in club management was appalling for years, resulting in a situation where he couldn't get a sniff of a job anywhere until the SFA came calling. Fear not though Scottish fans, David Moyes comes highly recommended. By David Moyes.

I like that McLeish wears glasses now, he looks less like the thoughtful modern coach he wants to be and more like the frontman of a Devo cover band. I assume Fergie's office still issues a stock reference for the endless brigade of managerial mediocrities he gazumped for decades so hopefully he'll continue having misadventures for many years to come.

On 3/22/2019 at 2:20 PM, Frederick said:

I like that McLeish wears glasses now, he looks less like the thoughtful modern coach he wants to be and more like the frontman of a Devo cover band. I assume Fergie's office still issues a stock reference for the endless brigade of managerial mediocrities he gazumped for decades so hopefully he'll continue having misadventures for many years to come.

Somewhat disconcertingly, it's all too easy to envisage the Class of '92 still haunting us until well into the 2040s, or until the expiration date of Moyes' contract at Old Trafford. Whichever comes first.

Commiserations on the Checkatrade Trophy, Michael. Not the one we all dream of winning as kids (4th place, isn't it?) but a trophy is a trophy. Been to a group game in said competition where the atmosphere was sub-anaemic, so credit to all involved for getting 85,000 there. Didn't need to guess who missed the crucial penalty, bless 'im.

2 hours ago, Frederick said:

Commiserations on the Checkatrade Trophy, Michael. Not the one we all dream of winning as kids (4th place, isn't it?) but a trophy is a trophy. Been to a group game in said competition where the atmosphere was sub-anaemic, so credit to all involved for getting 85,000 there. Didn't need to guess who missed the crucial penalty, bless 'im.

Much appreciated Fred. A strange game I thought, and unfortunate for Cattermole of course who otherwise turned in one of his better performances of the season.

The first half was the best I've seen Sunderland look for a very long time, but for some reason we came out for the second with a mindset of protecting our lead rather than continuing our domination, and the intensity seemed to drain out of our game. Unless Grigg had an injury, I thought taking him off was an odd one, he'd been effective in pulling Portsmouth's backline around and creating space for McGeady and Morgan to show a bit of craft.

Credit to Portsmouth though, they stuck at it despite initially looking outclassed, and if you believe in 'what goes around comes around' then their fans (apart from that bell ringing bloke, obviously) deserve to see their club on the up more than most. We need to recover quickly and secure promotion or this season will feel like a failure, hopefully there's something left in the tank for (unlikely sentence incoming) the big one against Accrington Stanley in midweek.

• 2 weeks later...