Bellazon

Football

goose

2 hours ago, Michael* said:

You can certainly set your watch to the kind of rinse and repeat cycle that middle order Premier League clubs get stuck in. They really love an 'exotic' flair manager, until they have a bit of a wobble and replace him with a dreary, result-grinding British manager. Of course, the problem West Ham now have is that the Moyesiah's ability to grind out results, regardless of what the likes of Leon Osman, Joleon Lescott and Danny Murphy would have us all believe, clearly deserted him after he left Everton.

Being an owner is very simple. You do the old press release trick of jabbering on about "projects" if the new man is a well groomed foreign Charlie and heck, you might sell a few more season tickets under the guise of a sophisticated assault on the glass ceiling of 7th but then amnesia hits once Stoke rip you and your 2-4-3-1-1 formation apart on August 29th so then you parachute in an old granite chinned, Bein Sports tanned oil tanker who spends the week before the sacking saying "Slaven is a good man....but..." while Richard Keys cackles and prods you like a dancing Russian bear. 

On 11/8/2017 at 4:14 PM, Frederick said:

Being an owner is very simple. You do the old press release trick of jabbering on about "projects" if the new man is a well groomed foreign Charlie and heck, you might sell a few more season tickets under the guise of a sophisticated assault on the glass ceiling of 7th but then amnesia hits once Stoke rip you and your 2-4-3-1-1 formation apart on August 29th so then you parachute in an old granite chinned, Bein Sports tanned oil tanker who spends the week before the sacking saying "Slaven is a good man....but..." while Richard Keys cackles and prods you like a dancing Russian bear. 

No doubt Keys and Gray will be thrilled with the Chosen One's appointments of Pearce, Irvine and McKinlay as coaches. I still think West Ham are too good to go down, although they mightn't be in January when Jagielka, Pienaar, Osman, Gibson and Howard arrive.

Not that Italy weren't utterly rubbish on the night of course, but repercussions perhaps from the Northern Ireland fiasco there. It was very evident that the ref had resolved not to give a penalty for anything less than first degree murder in the box.

For some reason I looked at the Nations League today. A team from League D will qualify for Euro 2020, which means one of these four is likely to qualify: Azerbaijan, Macedonia, Belarus, or Georgia. These teams finished 5th or 6th in their World Cup qualifying groups.

I doubt it will impact the tournament much, just something I noticed.

The referee was probably trying too hard to show that he wouldn't take any nonsense from the players, but the really surprising thing wasn't that Sweden managed to sneak past Italy, more that they didn't especially have to ride their luck or do anything other than the basics for it to happen.

I wouldn't anticipate Sweden being up to much at the tournament, though. I don't think their midfield is strong enough and they've no edge in front of goal.

Welcome to the jungle Chris Coleman, if this goes horribly wrong you're going to look like an absolute bloody nutter for walking out on a such a decent gig with Wales.

In comparison to some of the names mentioned in connection with the job, I suppose you'd have to say that this represents a bit of a coup for us. Hopefully everyone associated with the club gets behind him.

12 hours ago, Michael* said:

Welcome to the jungle Chris Coleman, if this goes horribly wrong you're going to look like an absolute bloody nutter for walking out on a such a decent gig with Wales.

In comparison to some of the names mentioned in connection with the job, I suppose you'd have to say that this represents a bit of a coup for us. Hopefully everyone associated with the club gets behind him.

Don't think anyone but CC's most loyal cronies ever actually believed he'd "walk into a big job" after Euro 2016 but his heart and head certainly seemed distracted thereafter. This, though, is a massive call on his part. On the one hand, you're back into the day to day of club management after years of sitting in the stands solely to watch Joe Ledley trawl around the pitch like a drunken sailor. That's progress. And of course he's financially cushy whatever happens but this is a club that makes minced meat out of just about everyone, this isn't convincing Chris Gunter he can take on Eden Hazard for one glorious game, this is the relentless drudgery of the Championship, mediocrity's cruelest summit. Strap in, folks.

Dortmund in free fall. Sick to death of the calamity goals against, selfish play going forward and general lack of spine. Yarmolenko infuriates me, Bartra and Burki are woefully out of form and then you get to the unhelpful, miscellaneous asides like Aubameyang's poncing around late for training because he's too busy doing cheeky marketing escapades. Get a grip on the steering wheel, Peter, there's a derby next week.

On ‎18‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 9:34 AM, Frederick said:

Don't think anyone but CC's most loyal cronies ever actually believed he'd "walk into a big job" after Euro 2016 but his heart and head certainly seemed distracted thereafter. This, though, is a massive call on his part. On the one hand, you're back into the day to day of club management after years of sitting in the stands solely to watch Joe Ledley trawl around the pitch like a drunken sailor. That's progress. And of course he's financially cushy whatever happens but this is a club that makes minced meat out of just about everyone, this isn't convincing Chris Gunter he can take on Eden Hazard for one glorious game, this is the relentless drudgery of the Championship, mediocrity's cruelest summit. Strap in, folks.

I honestly felt we were a little unlucky against a Villa side edging back towards the top of the table (there was a discernible shape for a change and we looked more accomplished in possession than we have in months), although we still appear to have a backline comprised of holograms rather than humans and are far too easy to score against. Being rooted to the foot of the table at this stage of the season isn't the end of the world, but we do need to start picking up points before January. Coleman should absolutely now be able to see what needs changing and where, he may or may not be the right man for the job but if nothing else, he and the team should be able to provide a little more entertainment. It's been grim.

David Unsworth better watch his not inconsiderable back, for there is another caretaker on the scene. Great to see Gary 'Mystic' Megson back in a top tier hot seat just in time for darkest winter. I've always enjoyed his particular brand of personal and footballing dourness and utter aversion to anything remotely razzle dazzle. Give him the job full time, he (Phil Neville voice) knows the club. 

Home from home for Jordan Pickford. Watching Everton reminds me of Tim Sherwood's Spurs, but without Timbo's tactical nous.

Nobody knows the future of course, but having Tony Pulis at the helm is a virtual guarantee of a lower mid-table Premier League finish and all the lovely money that brings. Of course the football is safety-first, but that's not a bad deal and it's hard now to see many managers throwing their hats into the ring for the job. No doubt Sam will be touted, along with Sean Dyche who seems to be linked with every club going, even though nobody actually wants him. Pulis will probably end up at Swansea when they get rid of Clement.

On 11/18/2017 at 9:46 AM, Frederick said:

Dortmund in free fall. Sick to death of the calamity goals against, selfish play going forward and general lack of spine. Yarmolenko infuriates me, Bartra and Burki are woefully out of form and then you get to the unhelpful, miscellaneous asides like Aubameyang's poncing around late for training because he's too busy doing cheeky marketing escapades. Get a grip on the steering wheel, Peter, there's a derby next week.

reverse-1310121676_angry_wrestler.gif

17 hours ago, Michael* said:

Another imaginative appointment by West Brom there, and Big Sam poised to get the Everton job. I know the country is going backwards, but blimey.

Great to see these fresh faced, plucky upstarts proudly fleecing, I mean, flying the flag for themselves, er, I mean, young British managers after years of being held back by their own innate mediocrity, I mean, Johnny Foreigner. I wish Giggsy and Unswy, I mean, Big Sam and Pardz the very best.