Bellazon

Football

goose

In the 48 team World Cup you get matches like Angola x Saudi Arabia..... no thank you.

If FIFA was giving away tickets for the Confederation's Cup to make the stadium look full, I imagine no one would want to go to that match in the sentence above other then those countries' fans. I'd be majorly pissed if I got allocated those matches from the ticket lottery.

Also they can give those type of matches to Mexico. :yes::rofl:

17 hours ago, jkjk said:

In saying more CAF, AFC, and CONCACAF teams will lower the quality, I was thinking more about how those confederations perform during the World Cup than which teams qualify. Now that I think about it, it's possible that's just my assumptions. I certainly can't say I have looked thoroughly as the last few results in World Cup's and compared results.

Ultimately, it's probably better for world football if those three confederations get more additional spots over the top two confederations. It gives teams in those regions more opportunities to play against quality competition. If you look at UEFA: between the World Cup, the European Championship, and the new Nations League, teams have many more opportunities to play quality competition than anywhere else in the world.

Absolutely, and that's an equally valid point because there's qualifying for a major tournament and there's what you do when you get there. As things stand, while Africa has more competitive nations, it's probably as difficult to imagine them producing a potential World Cup winning side as it is for AFC or CONCACAF, although there's still a chance of course that some of them could step up their game significantly before the new format is implemented.

The scope for growth in Asia is going to be staggering though and with China pouring billions into the game, they may be a factor by 2026 or dare I say even a major power in the future. India could be dragged along too and the likes of Iran could continue to progress.

1 hour ago, Stromboli1 said:

I still don't see China as being a threat...... I guess time will tell.

Yeah, there's no option except to settle for conjecture at this point, but a lot will depend on whether there's a long term vision in place for their domestic league. The money they're ploughing into it at the moment seems to be going mainly on marketing and raising the standard at club level, which is only going to benefit the national team if there's similar investment in infrastructure and producing young talent. If that were to happen, it would probably only be a matter of time until they became a real force.

^This is what the US did, but it will only work up to a point. I do think the Chinese will produce better technical players than the US ever did though.

The US needs to get their top flight players to play in Europe's top 5 leagues to compete against the best players in the world.

The US needs to leave CONCACAF and join COMMEBOL to be able to compete at the World Cup imo. The COMMEBOL competition is hyper difficult and would help the US tremendously, but there will be times they don't make the World Cup though. The US will need to weigh a World Cup berth basically every 4 years or be prepared not to make it every 4 years, but be able to compete blow for blow with the world powers.

28 minutes ago, Stromboli1 said:

The US needs to leave CONCACAF and join COMMEBOL to be able to compete at the World Cup imo. The COMMEBOL competition is hyper difficult and would help the US tremendously, but there will be times they don't make the World Cup though. The US will need to weigh a World Cup berth basically every 4 years or be prepared not to make it every 4 years, but be able to compete blow for blow with the world powers.

I had some thought that the two confederations would decide to replicate the format of the Copa America Centenario on a regular basis. A recurring high quality tournament like that can only help, especially CONCACAF teams which hope to improve. Probably the most benefit would go to US, Mexico, and Costa Rica, but it could help others as well. It does not seem like there is any push by the confeds to do so.

There is some talk of a Nations League like UEFA is going to do, but that will not help in CONCACAF nearly as much as it will help in UEFA.

On the US leaving, I think CONMEBOL would like if they and Mexico asked to join. That would bring a lot of money among other things.

^The UEFA Nations League is happening and will be linked to Euro 2020 as well.

I would like the Copa America to be bigger, but COMMEBOL won't do that.

CONCACAF is stuck with the shitty biennial Gold Cup, every other confederation does quadrennial competitions. :rofl:

CONCACAF even got stuck with Suriname, French Guiana, and Guyana...... COMMEBOL told them to gtfo. :rofl:

33 minutes ago, Stromboli1 said:

^The UEFA Nations League is happening and will be linked to Euro 2020 as well.

CONCACAF even got stuck with Suriname, French Guiana, and Guyana...... COMMEBOL told them to gtfo. :rofl:

Whoever came up with the idea for the UEFA Nations League should be rewarded, it's a really smart idea. Getting rid of the need to create pointless friendlies is going to good for UEFA nations, from the top to the bottom.

Those three countries are only a small part of the problem for CONCACAF. The organization is generally run by the Caribbean nations because each nation gets one vote, it can be a mess at times.

CONCACAF is dumb.

Canada, Mexico, United States, Belize, Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua, and Panama should all leave to go to COMMEBOL imo.

Then COMMEBOL gets 8 allotments for the World Cup, then Oceania & CONCACAF only get .5 each and playoff.

COMMEBOL World Cup qualifying could be.....

10 (North) x 10 (South) - top 4 teams in each division qualify.

4 x 5 - group winners from each group qualifies (4) and group runners up from each group qualifies (4).

Copa America

4 x 5 - top 4 teams from each group qualify for the Round of 16.

I think this could work. :yes:

^^  I would go along with that. That would be a strong confederation.

It's funny to me that OFC will start getting an automatic spot. I don't think an OFC team has won a match in the World Cup or Confederations Cup since Australia left for the AFC.

Having joined AFC principally to avoid play-offs with the likes of Uruguay under the old format, I'd be interested to know if Australia feels aggrieved at New Zealand now having a virtual clear run to the finals. You'd hope not of course, since the current arrangement affords them the long term benefit of competing against better opposition and their club sides now meeting teams from China, Japan and South Korea in the AFC Champions League.

The USA and Mexico could do well out of following a similar path, although they may have to burn a few bridges with CONCACAF in order to make it happen. Mixing it with South American teams would give them tons of experience, which will always be more conducive to making real progress at the highest level. It would be a good idea too to work towards having MLS representation in the Copa Libertadores.

Even with the OFC getting the spot, I imagine Australia still thinks they made the right decision. They needed better competition on a regular basis. If only we could get New Zealand to do the same, the OFC could be absorbed into the AFC.  :smile:

On 7/16/2017 at 6:15 PM, jkjk said:

Even with the OFC getting the spot, I imagine Australia still thinks they made the right decision. They needed better competition on a regular basis. If only we could get New Zealand to do the same, the OFC could be absorbed into the AFC.  :smile:

With Asia having nine places it honestly wouldn't be a bad thing for New Zealand to follow Australia's lead. They would still have a reasonable chance of qualifying and more opportunity to improve. It can't be easy, especially factoring in their pedigree in rugby, to create public interest in international football when their team only ever plays the likes of Tahiti. :laugh:

On 7/17/2017 at 10:34 AM, Michael* said:

With Asia having nine places it honestly wouldn't be a bad thing for New Zealand to follow Australia's lead. They would still have a reasonable chance of qualifying and more opportunity to improve. It can't be easy, especially factoring in their pedigree in rugby, to create public interest in international football when their team only ever plays the likes of Tahiti. :laugh:

It's even worse when you lose to New Caledonia.  :smile:

Adnan Januzaj, almost certainly a candidate for Sunderland's all-time uninterested and/or twisty-faced XI, off to Real Sociedad for an eye-watering £10m. The rumours of Jose crossing the days off his calendar until the lad found his way back to Old Trafford were obviously wide of the mark. :pinch:

PSG will be thinking of the Neymar deal as more of a coup d'état than a transfer. Sure, they'd be getting one of the biggest stars in the game as part of the bargain, but being seen to wrestle him away from one of the world's most prestigious clubs affords them more street cred than any individual player could offer. Based on that premise, the more obscene the outlay, the bigger the statement.