Bellazon

Football

goose

14 hours ago, Michael* said:

Three years ago, David Moyes left Everton as the new Alex Ferguson, today he leaves Sunderland as the new Alex McLeish. It's a relief really, there was so much negativity around the club and this will be a chance to generate some much-needed optimism for the long, hard season Championship ahead.

As we noted in our chat a month or so back, there was really no substantive upside to Short saying Moyes was going to be staying come hell or high water. At least he's gone without a payoff and done so quickly but one has to wonder if he'll ever sit at the top table of football management again. Where next for the lad, Qatar? Leeds? Scotland?

Who would you like (tolerate) to see come in? 

On ‎23‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 0:40 PM, Frederick said:

As we noted in our chat a month or so back, there was really no substantive upside to Short saying Moyes was going to be staying come hell or high water. At least he's gone without a payoff and done so quickly but one has to wonder if he'll ever sit at the top table of football management again. Where next for the lad, Qatar? Leeds? Scotland?

Who would you like (tolerate) to see come in? 

Moyes is almost certainly out of options at the highest level now, although I could see an offer from the SFA being on the table as soon as Wee Gordon's time is up.

As for a potential replacement, it's difficult to pinpoint a 'no brainer' at the moment, although there are certainly areas that I hope Short and Bain will be sensible enough to stay out of, namely random ex-pros (Giggs, O'Shea, Phillips) and the 'jobs for the boys' old guard (Pardew, McClaren). Equally, a Pearson or Karanka type would feel like an extension of a mentality we've just escaped.

After he walked into a similar shambles at Leeds and appeared to get the team organised in fairly short order, I don't mind the idea of getting Garry Monk, but honestly, I'll settle for anyone who sees the job as a way to make a name for himself and looks like he wants to be here. That would be a improvement on what we had.

4 hours ago, Michael* said:

Had the exit of Thomas Tuchel been in any way on the cards, Fred? The announcement certainly came as a surprise to me this morning.

I'd say it's been in the cards since about January or so. I see lots of stories are citing the bus attack response as the catalyst for his exit but I genuinely believe this would have occurred regardless (though it certainly didn't help). I'm very sad because I think he's been very good but he's always been known as a meticulous and often impossible character to deal with, dating back to his Mainz days. No idea what his next move is but I should think he'd do well. It looks like Lucien Favre is on his way in, which would be a solid enough choice. I'm a firm 'no' on Paulo Sousa....or Paul Lambert.