Bellazon

Football

goose

I haven't really watched the Premiere League a lot, but I will be watching now. It's going to be interesting and I think they could beat the top La Liga teams with all of the talent going to England.

Should be exciting to see Sanchez line up alongside Ozzle (© Jamie Carragher). He always looks at his best when he's able to thread delicate through balls behind the defence for others to run onto, and now with Sanchez he has someone other than the slower Giroud and the erratic Walcott to provide for.

• 2 weeks later...

The unexpected star of the World Cup finals, Colombia’s James Rodríguez, has signed for Real Madrid for a reported £63m.

The 23-year-old follows the signing of another key midfielder from the World Cup, Germany’s Toni Kroos who joined for a bargain £20m, and will be given the No10 shirt which was last worn by Mesut Özil.

He passed a medical in the Spanish capital on Tuesday morning and has agreed a six-year deal at the Bernabéu. He was presented to Real Madrid’s fans in their stadium on Tuesday night.

Have New York City F.C. come out on top in the Xavi Hernandez sweepstakes?

According to Spanish publication ‘Sport,’ the lifelong Barcelona product is set to make a move to the fledgling club on a three-year, multimillion dollar deal. That accord may come as soon as Monday, with an official signing on Thursday and an official announcement for the following Thursday.

Three MLS teams were reportedly in the running for his signature; NYCFC, the New York Red Bulls and the Seattle Sounders. The Red Bulls spent much of the past two years connected to the player, but a source told EOS earlier this year that there was “no truth” to their pursuit of the Barcelona star during the winter transfer window. A league source reiterated that stance last week, claiming the club hasn’t been in the running for Xavi all year long.

NYCFC, however, have been the lead suitor for some time now. His signature has been predicted almost on a weekly basis with various reports connected both parties.

The midfielder is still under contract with Barcelona, but would be allowed to leave on a free transfer thanks to his years of service with the club. Xavi, 34, is reportedly looking for a sizable severance package before his exit, while Barcelona would also seek a tribute match prior to his departure. Per Sports’ report, talks have been amicable.

The Barcelona great would be set to join former teammate David Villa, forming half of what could be the most formidable spine in all of Major League Soccer. The Terrassa native is the winningest player in Barcelona history, leading the club to seven titles, three UEFA Championships, two Copa Del Rey wins while also helping Spain to their first ever World Cup title.

If signed, Xavi would become the fourth NYCFC player on roster behind Villa, former Montreal Impact defender Jeb Brovsky and journeyman goalkeeper, Josh Saunders.

No takeover and Joe Cole's already injured. At least Roy Keane hasn't beaten Matt Lowton up (yet). Feels downright absurd seeing Hutton and N'Zogbia back in the sacred colours, never mind the Artist Formerly Known As Darren Bent. Doomed, but at least intriguingly so.

Good to see Liverpool going all out to finish 8th this season by replacing their whole team with Southampton's. At this point, buying the whole club for £175 million would probably be the cheaper option.

Or just buy the entire Dortmund team, apparently they're all up for sale according to Twitter sensation Des Perate-Journo.

Or just buy the entire Dortmund team, apparently they're all up for sale according to Twitter sensation Des Perate-Journo.

I must admit, I had a bit of a chuckle at the Reus story that was doing the rounds a short while ago. A man with a reported £40m buy-out clause suddenly available for £25m? That makes perfect sense, doesn't it? :unsure:

“The day Olof Mellberg decided to quit the national team it was a great loss to Swedish football and the team. But to me personally it was an even greater loss. When I had him on the team I never had to look back because I knew he was behind me and I could concentrate on what was going on up ahead.

Olof was the person that trigged and challenged me. This drove me to want to do more on the pitch.

Olof had a winner mentality like no other. He simply refused to lose, not only in football but in practically everything. And when he did lose, which rarely happened, he refused to admit it. I think this mentality was what took him a long way in his carreer.

I’ve been doubly lucky when it comes to Olof. Firstly because I got to play with him, and secondly because I got know the person Olof Mellberg, not only the player.

If Olof in my opinion is the best Swedish defender of all times, I think the person Olof is even better.

It is sad that Olof now chooses to end his career because I’m sure he has much more to give.

I wish Olof Mellberg and his family all happiness and love in the future.

Thank you my friend.

Zlatan Ibrahimovic”

soshtj.gif

Now hurry up and get those coaching badges so you can get us promoted next season! 

Any of our footballing lads and lasses up for a spot of Fantasy this year?

Classic: 367240-133915 (renewed so that players from last season are automatically entered upon registering)

Head-to-head: 367240-206052

First deadline is 16 August (11:30 GMT) and as per usual, free transfers are unlimited until then. All welcome!

An intriguing gamble from Sunderland, an absolute no brainer for the player. I suppose Gus' frustration at being shunned by a few cowboy agents has forced his hand to an extent though I can't even trot out the usual "if he stays fit and gets the playing time he needs then he's a helluva player" line because quite honestly I can't remember much about JR.