Bellazon

Football

goose

Another despicable dive by Bale that the footballing fraternity shall cover up with their usual house of cards. Pretend he's from South America, guys, then maybe you'll "get it".

As we all know, good honest British lads only dive when they're forced to by a mind-controlling device, which was brought to these shores by a bunch of pesky foreigners from a place called abroad. I only hope retrospective action is taken against Luis Suarez for inventing it.

As we all know, good honest British lads only dive when they're forced to by a mind-controlling device, which was brought to these shores by a bunch of pesky foreigners from a place called abroad. I only hope retrospective action is taken against Luis Suarez for inventing it.

^Any kind of over-the-top praise by a commentator towards a player has become known as 'the Gareth Bale treatment' in my house, such is his current golden boy status in the media. I'm no fan of Suarez either but the current 'guilty until proven innocent' attitude towards him is quite the contrast and quite the double standard, particularly after Bale virtually bragged about getting players sent off in a recent interview...

‘If people want to say I’m diving they can, but at the end of the day I’m trying to get out of the way and save myself and my career. You’ve just got to try to be a bit clever about it. I’ve got a few people sent off this year by doing that.’

I think what I'd like to see in future (though obviously, it could only be done with the aid of video evidence) would be the right for managers to 'challenge' potential game-changing decisions, as seen in tennis. If the player is found to have blatantly dived, give him a straight red card - instant punishment and justice for the team he's cheated. The retrospective ban idea isn't a terrible one, but I suspect certain players would still see diving as a risk worth taking, depending on the importance of future fixtures. I mean, you might think twice about taking a tumble in the box if your next game was a do-or-die affair, but I can't imagine a player hesitating to hit the deck for an advantage in an early-season Manchester derby if the game he'd be suspended for was a cup tie on a wet evening in Colchester.

Ah only came to this thread to see if there's something 'rain game' related :whistle:

Sad thing is, the 2 guys who run onto the pitch already had to go to the court and they are sentenced to a 2 years long ban for coming to mass events and to give money for legal proceedings of the lawsuit. They could have been sentenced to a 3 year long suspended sentence though but fortunatley aren't :| I don't get it, even our PM said there should be no need for such actions. And people said what they've done was funny and it even made the judge laugh.

That said though, I thought the match would be much worse, but the goals were kinda... disappointing, you know? Those were not beautiful goals.

Hands up who thought Demba Ba would be our second top scorer in the league by the end of October? :pinch:

Amusing own goal aside, we got away with one in a lousy mirror image of last season's game at the Sports Direct Arena. I've lost count of the number of times I've heard players say they're ready and raring to go before a derby match, only for them to turn in a tame, laboured performance like that. Our 'flair' players (namely Sessegnon, Johnson and McClean) are being carried - they must start playing better and very soon.

Amusing own goal aside, we got away with one in a lousy mirror image of last season's game at the Sports Direct Arena. I've lost count of the number of times I've heard players say they're ready and raring to go before a derby match, only for them to turn in a tame, laboured performance like that. Our 'flair' players (namely Sessegnon, Johnson and McClean) are being carried - they must start playing better and very soon.

Interesting about Johnson, if anyone should be busting a gut to 'prove a point', its him. Theoretically, Sunderland have plenty of goals in them, six in seven games looks a poor return all things considered. Not quite Aston Villa poor (six in eight), but still poor enough.

^If and when the team is playing well I’d expect Johnson to be absolutely red hot, but whether he’s the type to make a difference in a stalemate game remains to be seen. Still, he was triple marked at times by the Wongaboys on Sunday and I can't imagine him ever receiving that kind of attention in his City days, where he'd have been the least of his opponents' worries. He's a big fish in a small pond now and will most probably need time to make the adjustment. We’ll need a lot more from him if we’re to avoid having our current lack of creativity become a detrimental sub-plot to the season, though.

On the plus side, we’re playing terribly and not losing, which should bode well for when we really start firing. As long as we do start firing at some point, that is. From an outsider's perspective, it seems to be a similar story for Villa, with their better attacking players yet to deliver. How would you rate Lambert so far, Fred? Is he under pressure or is there cause for optimism?

^When Lambert gave Guzan a run in the side at the expense of the underperforming Given, it seemed to send out a message that automatic choices were a thing of the past at Villa, which can only be a good thing in the long run. I suppose the short-term downside of that philosophy is that until the transfer window reopens, you're always likely to be lumbered with at least one or two unmotivated high-earners who are surplus to requirements and consequently worse than useless if the time comes for them to get stuck in for the team.

Is there still hope for Albrighton? I had him down as a star of the future after a storming game against us at the SoL a couple of years back.

^When Lambert gave Guzan a run in the side at the expense of the underperforming Given, it seemed to send out a message that automatic choices were a thing of the past at Villa, which can only be a good thing in the long run. I suppose the short-term downside of that philosophy is that until the transfer window reopens, you're always likely to be lumbered with at least one or two unmotivated high-earners who are surplus to requirements and consequently worse than useless if the time comes for them to get stuck in for the team.

Is there still hope for Albrighton? I had him down as a star of the future after a storming game against us at the SoL a couple of years back.