Bellazon

Football

goose

Roy Hodgson has been named England manager on a 4 year contract.

Any thoughts guys?

Probably not an ideal appointment, but with the FA dead set on having an Englishman in charge, ideal wouldn't have been an option in the first place. Still, Hodgson is a diplomat with tactical nous and international experience which, with us being so close to a major tournament, must surely all be prerequisites for the job at this point. Appointments based solely on reputations gained at club level haven't worked in the past and neither have those forced through by the press. Besides, they only wanted 'Arry because he perpetuates their idea that we're somehow unique in our passion for the game - an old-fashioned mentality that should really have gone out with the ark.

Roy Hodgson has been named England manager on a 4 year contract.

Any thoughts guys?

Probably not an ideal appointment, but with the FA dead set on having an Englishman in charge, ideal wouldn't have been an option in the first place. Still, Hodgson is a diplomat with tactical nous and international experience which, with us being so close to a major tournament, must surely all be prerequisites for the job at this point. Appointments based solely on reputations gained at club level haven't worked in the past and neither have those forced through by the press. Besides, they only wanted 'Arry because he perpetuates their idea that we're somehow unique in our passion for the game - an old-fashioned mentality that should really have gone out with the ark.

I guess they felt Harry might bring some pride and passion to make up for the lack of talent in the current squad. Didnt work when they appointed Keegan.

I feel we will struggle to make an impact in the Euros, but can only hope a combination of a new manager, rediscover some form and a large slice of luck and off cause no penalties.

I feel we will struggle to make an impact in the Euros, but can only hope a combination of a new manager, rediscover some form and a large slice of luck and off cause no penalties.

Hodgson's sides always seem to look decent at the back, not because of the outstanding individual quality of his defenders but sheer numbers behind the ball - so I can't see it being particularly pretty to watch. But if we are able to make any impact, it'll be through embracing our status as second-class citizens. Looking at the other sides in our group as well as potential opponents in the knock-out stages, I see few that we're genuinely capable of outplaying. <_<

What was your take on Hodgson's time at Liverpool, Enigma (and Ed, if you're visiting)? From an outsider's perspective he seemed unlucky, though his timing was obviously appalling, arriving as he did at the tail end of messrs Gillett and Hicks' reign at Anfield. With the increased fan support and considerable financial backing that Dalglish has enjoyed since taking over, would Roy have done better?

P.S. Which is the more surprising 'news' - Tulisa being named FHM sexiest woman or that Sol Campbell wasn't already retired? :|

Hodgson's sides always seem to look decent at the back, not because of the outstanding individual quality of his defenders but sheer numbers behind the ball - so I can't see it being particularly pretty to watch. But if we are able to make any impact, it'll be through embracing our status as second-class citizens. Looking at the other sides in our group as well as potential opponents in the knock-out stages, I see few that we're genuinely capable of outplaying. <_<

What was your take on Hodgson's time at Liverpool, Enigma (and Ed, if you're visiting)? From an outsider's perspective he seemed unlucky, though his timing was obviously appalling, arriving as he did at the tail end of messrs Gillett and Hicks' reign at Anfield. With the increased fan support and considerable financial backing that Dalglish has enjoyed since taking over, would Roy have done better?

P.S. Which is the more surprising 'news' - Tulisa being named FHM sexiest woman or that Sol Campbell wasn't already retired? :|

Well start of with your final points, Tulisa Sexiest woman in the World, yeah i dont think so some how, not a fan of her's and not a big fan of FHM Top100 these days, most of my Top 10 doesnt make their Top100. :D

Saw the news about Sol yesterday, have to admit didnt know he was still playing, very good defender in his day.

As for Hodgson at Liverpool, unlike a lot of my fellow red fans who really didnt want him, i was willing to give him a chance. Like you say it was awful timing in so many ways for him, not just the owners, but players came back late because of the WC, we had pre-qualifiers in Europe in July without most of the team, Mascherano and other players leaving, it was all a mess and a lot of it, not his doing.

That being said he made many mistakes, he didnt understand what the fans wanted, he fell out with the local press in a big way, and he bought some real crap players the likes of Konchesky & Poulsen. Thats before we start talking about the football we played and the results we had.

All in all i believe he is a decent coach, but he just wasnt right for Liverpool.

No.

If i have learnt anything being a fan, and especially this season, football is very unpredictable even more so when it comes to Liverpool.

Without stating the obvious it really could go either way, just hope it goes the red way.

^Commiserations on the cup. Wonder if Dalglish will be thinking 'what if?' with regard to last night's team selection, which would surely have tested Chelsea a lot more at the final. While I obviously haven't watched Liverpool's every game, that was probably the best I've seen Henderson play this season. Terry on the other hand, looks slower and just generally crapper than ever before - the thought of him playing at the back for England this summer is a legitimate shudderer.

And on a slightly different note, though I'm not in the least bit bothered about Blackburn one way or the other, it's hard not to feel for the fans. As usual, the media have got it completely skew-whiff - the unrest at Ewood, just as it currently is at Villa and was at Sunderland, is the result of the manager's ineptitude, not the cause of it. It's remarkable just how often the initial gut reactions of the crowd prove to be correct in the long run.

And on a slightly different note, though I'm not in the least bit bothered about Blackburn one way or the other, it's hard not to feel for the fans. As usual, the media have got it completely skew-whiff - the unrest at Ewood, just as it currently is at Villa and was at Sunderland, is the result of the manager's ineptitude, not the cause of it. It's remarkable just how often the initial gut reactions of the crowd prove to be correct in the long run.

The continual rise to prominence of inarticulate ex-pros sitting in pink shirts blindly defending one of their own is far more of a problem in football than the 'ungrateful' supporters of clubs like Blackburn, Villa, Sunderland, etc. Maybe if I was sitting in a comfy studio being paid to talk a lot of hogwash it would soften my senses too but until then, I, the paying customer, am well within my rights to be fed up at winning 7 out of 37 games. And all this talk about rubbish managers carrying themselves with "dignity" is a joke (I'm sure Big Eck's huge contract helps with that), especially when two minutes later the same idiotic pundit is frantically justifying a dive in the penalty area or some other form of cheating.

post-51890-0-1446013681-5307_thumb.jpg

After playing 3985 Europa League matches this season, Falcao Atletico Madrid won the final against Bielsa's Athletic Bilbao 3-0! The first goal was a beauty. They also broke the record of most consecutive wins in European Competitions history with 12. It's also Atleti's 2nd European trophy in 3 years, compared to Real Madrid's... none :shifty:

*Ignores the possibility of no CL football next season, constant rumours about Falcao and Adrian leaving, Courtois being Chelsea's player etc...*

The continual rise to prominence of inarticulate ex-pros sitting in pink shirts blindly defending one of their own is far more of a problem in football than the 'ungrateful' supporters of clubs like Blackburn, Villa, Sunderland, etc. Maybe if I was sitting in a comfy studio being paid to talk a lot of hogwash it would soften my senses too but until then, I, the paying customer, am well within my rights to be fed up at winning 7 out of 37 games. And all this talk about rubbish managers carrying themselves with "dignity" is a joke (I'm sure Big Eck's huge contract helps with that), especially when two minutes later the same idiotic pundit is frantically justifying a dive in the penalty area or some other form of cheating.

Listening to the rogues gallery on Soccer Saturday, the uninitiated might think Villa are lucky to have McLeish, yet his only achievement that I'm aware of has been lowering the club's standards to the point where avoiding relegation looks like cause for celebration. Contrary to popular belief, the fans actually know a thing or two about what makes a good manager. McLeish and Kean simply aren't it, and neither was Bruce.

69823342.jpg

After playing 3985 Europa League matches this season, Falcao Atletico Madrid won the final against Bielsa's Athletic Bilbao 3-0! The first goal was a beauty. They also broke the record of most consecutive wins in European Competitions history with 12. It's also Atleti's 2nd European trophy in 3 years, compared to Real Madrid's... none :shifty:

*Ignores the possibility of no CL football next season, constant rumours about Falcao and Adrian leaving, Courtois being Chelsea's player etc...*

Falcwow!

*Hangs head in shame, sees self out* :pinch:

Listening to the rogues gallery on Soccer Saturday, the uninitiated might think Villa are lucky to have McLeish, yet his only achievement that I'm aware of has been lowering the club's standards to the point where avoiding relegation looks like cause for celebration. Contrary to popular belief, the fans actually know a thing or two about what makes a good manager. McLeish and Kean simply aren't it, and neither was Bruce.

Hey, its another year in the presence of the "elite clubs" in this Barclays Premier League we all so dearly love, who could grumble with that? I suppose in McLeish's defence he's never, to my knowledge, headbutted fans, stolen candy from a baby or cackled in delight when Richard Dunne's given away a penalty for the third time in ten minutes. So under that criteria he can call himself a paragon of virtue. Its funny, everyone talks about players being disloyal chancers but managers, by and large, tend to get off incredibly lightly. If McLeish really had the dignity claimed he would quit Sunday evening but I suspect he won't because he knows that Aston Villa represents the contract pay out of his lifetime. What on earth Randy was thinking, I will never know.

^Commiserations on the cup. Wonder if Dalglish will be thinking 'what if?' with regard to last night's team selection, which would surely have tested Chelsea a lot more at the final. While I obviously haven't watched Liverpool's every game, that was probably the best I've seen Henderson play this season. Terry on the other hand, looks slower and just generally crapper than ever before - the thought of him playing at the back for England this summer is a legitimate shudderer.

Cant say im a fan of Henderson, i know he is still young, but he shouldnt be in the 1st team.

As for Terry taken apart on Tuesday night little worrying for England.

Expect the squad to be something like this, but such a tough call.

Hart

Foster

Green

Cole

Richards

Terry

Jones

Cahill

Walker

Johnson

Lescott

Gerrard

Lampard

Barry

Parker

Johnson

Young

Downing

Chamberlain

Carroll

Rooney

Bent

Sturridge

All could miss out.

Baines

Carrick

Smalling

Ferdinand

Walcott

Milner

Crouch

Defoe

Welbeck

Got to be one of the first times i can remember going in to a major tournament not knowing who will be in the starting line-up, so many places up for grabs.

Hart in goal & Cole at LB as for the rest not sure.

^ I'll second that. Watching Downing play is painful at the best of times.

FA Cup - after watching a grand total of 7 minutes, I knew we'd lose. FML.

Congrats to Atletico! Not a bad season considering what was happening earlier in the season with Manzano at the helm.