Bellazon

News

From New York Daily news

Supermodel too hurt  

to leave hospital

Injured New York supermodel Petra Nemcova is too badly hurt to leave her Thai hospital bed - and is overwhelmed knowing she survived a tsunami that killed tens of thousands.  

"She knows she got a second chance, and she wants to make the most of it," family friend Roman Hajabac told the Daily News from her hospital room last night.

The battered beauty spent much of yesterday sedated on morphine, which eased the pain of a shattered pelvis, other broken bones and internal injuries.

At the same time, Nemcova's sister Olga, 23, and manager Leigh Crystal circled the globe so they could comfort her at her bedside as she worries about her missing boyfriend, Simon Atlee.

"She's unable to undergo any transportation whatsoever," Hajabac said. "We have doctors coming from Bangkok. We have the best doctors we can get."

Nemcova, 25, and Atlee, 33, were vacationing on the secluded beaches of Khao Lak when the tsunami ripped through it Sunday, making it one of Thailand's most devastated areas, with hundreds of tourists dead or missing.

Nemcova planned the trip as a surprise for her fashion photographer boyfriend, but the wall of water ripped apart their beachfront bungalow and swallowed Atlee without a trace.

She survived by gripping a palm tree for eight hours until she was rescued. If she was strong enough to do that, Hajabac said, she's strong enough to make a full recovery.

"She's tough. She'll make it," he said. "Tell everybody she'll be okay."

Olga Nemcova and Crystal were scheduled to reach Nemcova's side early this morning, when they can judge for themselves if she is ready to be moved and where she should go.

Faith Kates, owner of the Next modeling agency, is prepared to fly Nemcova on a medical evacuation plane - to Bangkok, to the model's family in her native Czech Republic or even to a hospital in New York.

"I want someone that knows Petra to see her," Kates said. "I have planes on standby so that if she's ready to go, she'll be out of there in four hours. We're not quite sure yet when we can move her."

In an exclusive interview with the Daily News the day after the calamity, Nemcova described a horrifying scene as bodies floated past her, children drowned around her and she willed herself to grip a palm tree until she could be rescued.

"I don't know that anyone can process this. This is something that is a life-altering experience," Kates said yesterday. "I don't know that Petra's ever going to be able to put what she saw into words."

Meanwhile, Kates' and Nemcova's friends are spreading Atlee's photographs and description through the hospitals and makeshift shelters of Khao Lak.

"We know that he was with Petra, but there's still no further information on him," said Jill Keen, a British consular officer.

Do you guys find the weather patterns and natural disasters picking up as of late?

This was the worst earthquake and Tsunami since the one in Alaska in 1964.

Just last summer 5 consecutive Hurricanes blasted the Carribean islands and Florida.

There was a huge Earthquake in Japan not too long ago.

On a much smaller scale than those, but the entire midwest of the US just recently got dumped a bunch of snow and cold weather.

Something is up on a larger scale I think.

Supposedly this Earthquake on Sunday affected the earths rotation it was so strong.

I think Mother Nature may be a little angry with us. :(

Edit: Not to mention Mt St Helens is predicted to blow it's top again sometime soon, which is not good.

The story about California breaking off and going into the sea is an urban legend. There is no scientific basis for it. The Pacific plate is colliding with the North American plate with the former sliding under the latter. This means mountain ranges like the Sierra, the Cascades, and the coastal mountains will be getting higher. The San Andreas fault is just a portion of this process. If everything west of this fault broke off and fell into the sea it would leave the majority of California intact but would take out the Bay Area and some of southern California. Since this is not scientifically credible, it isn't worth discussing.

The earth has gone through much more unsettled geology and weather in the past. Many disasters which have occurred in the past were not as devastating in terms of human life's lost because the human population was not as high. Two hundred years ago a similar tsunami would have killed far less people and the news of the event might have taken years to reach the majority of the people in more developed countries. I think the New Madrid earthquake and the volcanic erruption of Krakatoa were equal in the potential to kill similar amounts of people as has just occured in Asia, but they were in the past when the population was not as great.

KTLA-TV in Los Angeles reported that Petra's boyfriend was dead. I don't remember them saying his body was recovered so I can't imagine this is confirmed yet. Maybe they did say it was confirmed and with so many details about the disaster coming in it is difficult to keep up with the events.

I went through some major trauma some years back and when I finally got past it I said "I'm kicking butt and taking names." I would bet that Petra will do the same. I hope she recovers completely with full function of her hip joints and legs. It will be a great effort on her part to work towards this goal. I would not expect to see much of her for 12-18 months.

Good luck and God bless Petra!!

The story about California breaking off and going into the sea is an urban legend. There is no scientific basis for it. The Pacific plate is colliding with the North American plate with the former sliding under the latter. This means mountain ranges like the Sierra, the Cascades, and the coastal mountains will be getting higher. The San Andreas fault is just a portion of this process. If everything west of this fault broke off and fell into the sea it would leave the majority of California intact but would take out the Bay Area and some of southern California. Since this is not scientifically credible, it isn't worth discussing.

California is on a plate that is moving northward. Scientists say that in 30 million years that L.A. will be a suburb of Anchorage, Alaska.