Bellazon

Nancy O' Dell
Thumbnail

Meghann

Morning Call: Newest Vegas magazine cover girl Nancy O’Dell loves Las Vegas

63479826ux5.th.png

Radiant Access Hollywood host Nancy O’Dell has stepped out from the TV cameras to become the newest cover girl for our Vegas magazine -- and she’ll be broadcasting from here during the giant Consumer Electronics Show in two weeks. In the new January issue of our sister publication, the anchorwoman of one of NBC’s most successful entertainment news programs dishes on becoming a new mom, how she juggles her showbiz duties and her love of Sin City!

In her exclusive interview with Humberto Guida, she said: “I love Vegas. I go to Vegas a lot for work. We do a lot of interviews with celebrities on the Strip, or if they’re performing, we cover that. I make sure my husband comes with me so we can do it up, go to a nice dinner, hit a show. That’s where some of the perks of Access Hollywood come in because we can buy tickets at the last minute to most of the shows. We turn it into a great date night.

“I went to Vegas several times with my parents. In those days, there were just a couple of places to go on the Strip. Now the hotels just go forever. The skyline has exploded. It’s amazing. I guess that’s why all the celebrities love to come to Vegas. Maybe we should move the set of Access Hollywood there. I’ll bring that up at the next meeting.”

Nancy explained that family comes first over showbiz assignments.

“My family is my No. 1 priority. I say that to every boss here, and that’s the way it should be for everybody.” The anchorwoman hid her pregnancy on air for three months until she broke the news during an interview with Will Smith! It prompted her to write a book about pregnancy, which has become a bestseller.

“Things that happened to me were not covered in the pregnancy books, so I was taken by surprise. So I decided to write a book for other women -- and, believe it or not, a lot of the information is very helpful to men, too.”

In the cover story and photo layout, Nancy also reveals the “golden touch” for getting celebrities to open up for her exclusives.

“We don’t take ourselves too seriously, and I think celebrities enjoy that. We don’t act like these people are going to change the world or doing brain surgery. It’s not just about feeding their egos. Celebrities come to me for exclusives because they know that although I won’t shy away from the tough questions, they’re going to be presented in a fair way. It’s not going to be twisted or distorted.”

Source: http://www.lasvegasweekly.com/blogs/luxe-l...ne-cover-girl-/

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Stories From Real Runners

I'm A Runner: Nancy O'Dell

The Access Hollywood cohost talks about how running keeps her in shape for the red carpet.

54887658zn3.th.jpg

Nancy O’Dell shows off her running outfit on the Access set

By Noah Rothbaum

Photographs by Gregg Segal

From the March 2009 issue of Runner's World

Residence: Los Angeles

When did you start running?

I used to play in high school a ton of sports. So I would get my running in that way. But purely running, I would probably say when I got into this whole Hollywood world and I realized I had to stand next to all these actresses who are in tremendous shape. It kind of dawned on me then that "Okay, you kind of need to stay fit." You always have to wear these revealing dresses. For me running has always been the easy way if I wanted to lose five pounds in a couple of weeks. Running has been the only thing and the quickest thing that works for me. So, I really started running when I came to LA&mdahs;that would have been back in 1996 when I started with Access—and I was having to stand next to all these Hollywood celebrities. And then I was running consistently. Back then it was easier to be able to eat whatever I wanted to and not have to worry about it as much as I do now.

How often do you run?

Back then I would probably run three times a week and would do it either for 30 minutes before I would go to work or 45 minutes if I could do it after work. And then I had a bulging disc. I was throwing the baseball with my stepson and I threw my disc out, so I had to stop running for about a year almost because it would come and go. And it eventually healed itself. I haven't had it in a long time. But I had to stop all exercise then. And then I got pregnant. Then I couldn't run like I normally would. Then I had the baby and I was too busy for a while. And then my mom was really sick and I was focused on that and trying tend to her. So I recently had gotten back into it. The past seven months I'm, like, five days a week running. And I love it. When my mom got sick I was spending so much time researching for her and I really wasn't watching what I ate. Because it didn't matter. All I wanted to do was focus on her. I wasn't focusing on me. Momma passed away about three and a half months ago. My mom and I were so very, very, very close. I just decided okay I need to feel good about myself. You just feel kind of down and out. You don't feel like doing much. I said I've got to get out of this funk. I got to start getting back, even if I don't feel healthy emotionally yet, 'cause I'm still dealing with the loss, I wanted to feel healthy physically again. I started running and it made me feel so much better 'cause I felt like I was doing something proactive to stay heart healthy and to feel better about myself. I had the Emmys coming up. Running has always been an easy way for me to lose the pounds really quickly. I've been running five days a week now straight for about 3 months and I've already lost 12 pounds. That was nice. I do it now five days a week, probably 45 minutes per run. It's tough to try to fit it all in. But it makes you feel so much better and I enjoy it. That's one thing I really enjoy. A lot of people go, 'I don't know how you do it—run, run, run.' But I love it. I do it out in my neighborhood. I will do a treadmill if it's raining, which rarely happens in California. Or if it's late at night. Or a lot of times I'll have to watch a movie or TV show for work for an interview that I'm getting ready to do. So I'll pop that on the DVD player and watch it as I'm on the treadmill.

How far do you generally go?

I do it more by time. I have a little heart rate monitor that I keep on. I try to keep my heart rate up at about 145, 150. I go for about 45 minutes straight like that. I usually do it with a trainer. He runs me like crazy. Sometimes we will change it up, where we go, 'okay we're going to do long strides,' 'now we will slow it down a little bit and do slow strides' or sometimes we will do sprints in between. But usually it's a steady-pace jog. I know how many calories I typically burn. A minimum of 450 is our goal. About 45 minutes is around the 450 range if I do it at a heart beat that I'm at. I prefer to do it more like 600, so sometimes we will throw in sprints to try to get it up to 600.

Do you not listen to music since you're running with a trainer?

No. I sit there and have a long conversation with the trainer, which keeps me entertained usually. Plus, I always get nervous about listening to music and having traffic around you. When I'm on a treadmill I will. But I like to watch DVDs more so or a movie that I haven't seen and that will keep me occupied because I tend to start thinking too much.

Is there one movie you love to run to or put on if you don't have anything to watch?

Usually, what happens in my business is that I have to cover so many movies because of the interviews that I'm doing and I have to watch so many because of the award ceremonies. So I'll get DVDs of those TV shows and start watching them or if I have the Golden Globes coming up then all the movies that are nominated. There is a ton. So leading up to the Oscars or the Golden Globes or whatever event is coming up it's a good way to get your exercise in and working at the same time. In between [award ceremonies] what I do is I go out and grab a movie that I didn't cover and so I didn't necessarily see it but yet I wanted to, like I just watched PS I Love You. So I'll get movies that I didn't have to watch for work and just wanted to catch up on.

Do you run longer if you're watching a movie?

Absolutely. You don't notice the time. You don't constantly look at the clock. That's way I usually try to get a romantic one because I love romantic movies and I completely forget that I'm exercising because I'm so into the movie.

Do you have a favorite running movie?

Chariots of Fire. I've always said I'm going to go back and rent that one.

Do you have a favorite run in LA?

There are two places. Runyon Canyon. I've run in there before if I feel like doing the hills. I prefer the little inclines. The tall ones get kind of tough to run the steady pace I want to run. Then the Rose Bowl. I host the Rose Parade every year, so I'm very familiar with the Rose Bowl area. I like to run in the Rose Bowl. One of the reasons that I like it is because you can be running next to somebody and if they're going faster than you do, it's kind of competitive thing. You're like 'I've got to keep up with them.' It makes you run a little bit faster.

If you wanted to see celebrity runners in LA where would you go?

Definitely the Canyon. You'll run into somebody there. Everybody is walking their dogs there. It's up above Hollywood. A ton of celebrities go there. You'll wind up bumping into somebody because there are a ton of people on the trails and a ton of celebrities go there to walk their dogs or exercise.

Besides the running what else does your workout consist of?

The majority of it right now is running because I wanted the quickest way to lose the pounds. It always makes me feel the healthiest. I feel like I'm working my heart that way. I do a little bit of weight lifting. And I love sports, so I play basketball and I throw the football with my stepsons. That was the way I won them over a little bit. I dated a football player in college and he taught me to throw a spiral. So I was cool, I was okay; I was in once they realized I could throw a spiral. I'm a big tennis player. Those are my other forms of working out.

Do you go running with husband?

My husband doesn't run much because he has a bad knee that he messed up playing basketball. But he will walk. So, I'll run ahead of them and then I circle back around. My stepsons love to ride their bikes in the neighborhood, so they ride their bikes along side. I have a jogging stroller so I'll run with the baby a lot.

Are there any secrets to running with a jogging stroller?

Make sure you don't hit any bumps. The strollers are kind of equipped for that but still because you're going at a faster speed than pushing you have to be a little careful. I feel like it works your arms out a little bit. But it's a little different. You know how you get a cadence when you're running

Some runners like running because they can escape work. Others like to think about work when they're running. What do you think about?

I like to think when I'm doing it. It's a good time because you're getting away from everything. I have to talk so much as part of my business and a lot of times when I go running with the trainer I chit chat back and forth with him, which makes the time go by quickly. We have a lot of political debates with everything going on while we're running right now. But if I'm running by myself it's a good way to think through the day, how things went. It's a nice moment to relax. It sounds odd but it really is.

Is there one celebrity you would like to go on a run with?

Julia Roberts, I imagine, would completely distract you if you went for a run because she's just hilarious. I don't know if she's a runner or not. Julia is fun. But it would be fun. You could compare mom notes and she would make you laugh and you would probably forget about any hard work you were doing.

Is there a big running culture in Hollywood?

You see the tabloids all the time catching them. I think Jennifer Aniston is a big runner from what I've read. We've never specifically talked about it. The way that celebrities are expected to stay in shape, unfortunately that's the culture of Hollywood right now. I think it's one of the only true ways to be able to maintain that fitness and keep your body shape the way it is unless you just don't eat and that's not fun. I'm southern and I like to eat.

Is there a way that you motivate yourself on days you don't want to run?

I'll be like, "I'm so tired. I don't feel like starting." But I know how I'm going to feel after. So if I just think about that thought of what it's going to feel like after. Then once I go running and I'm into it about 15 or 20 minutes all of a sudden then you get that good feeling. That's all I tell myself, if I could just get past that 15, 20 minutes then I'm good to go. Fifteen minutes and then I know I'll be fine. And I always am. if I don't feel like running I'll purposefully schedule it at night. If I have the trainer with me I'm not worried about running at night. We just wear all these lights. We look like aliens. I have all kinds of gadgets. I'm a gadget runner.

What's your favorite gadget?

For nighttime running probably blinking lights. I strap them all over my body. My husband laughs but my neighborhood gets really dark at night. I have four flashing lights on me. And then I make the trainer wear one on the front and back. I've corned the market on flashing lights.

How do you celebrate after a long run? Do you reward yourself?

Sometimes I will. I'll go and take a long bath because I rarely get the luxury of sitting in the bathtub for 20 minutes. And I love a bath. If I've done a particularly long run, like I go an hour, then I feel like OK I can go sit in the bathtub for twenty minutes. And just relax. Plus it's good for you. The bath is my reward and I know it's good for soreness.

What's the craziest place you've run in LA?

I know a hard place. I ran in Malibu Canyon. That's really hard. It's almost like a hike run.

What are some of your favorite places to eat in LA? Are there places for runners to carbo load?

LA is so anti-carb. I don't eat a lot of carbs either. I used to growing up but I don't eat a lot now.

Was Katie Holmes running the 2008 New York City Marathon a big story on Access Hollywood?

She's become so popular obviously because of her marriage to Tom. It was such an unusual thing for her to do. I don't think anybody really heard about her running or that she was going to do the New York City Marathon. So that when we heard that she had done it, it became a really big story that day. Because she kind of kept her training for it a secret. When viewers see that they think well if a celebrity can do it than I can do it. And she made it to the very end. I remember that. Not a bad time either. It was like five and a half hours. I was encouraged and I loved seeing hubby Tom and Suri out there encouraging her and cheering her on. If I run a marathon my husband better be there.

Is there a smell that you associate with running?

Jasmine. Because the areas that I run in have a lot of jasmine. The Rose Bowl has a lot of Jasmine.

Source: http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120...1X2X3-4,00.html

Cradle Q & A

Talking with... Nancy O'Dell

Nancy O'Dell, co-anchor of Access Hollywood, has gained access into a new club - Mommyhood. Here she shares her most favorite and most challenging moments from her first year with baby.

The Cradle: Describe motherhood in three words.

Nancy: Bliss, fulfilling... heaven!

The Cradle: Your daughter just turned one in June. What are some of your favorite moments from the past year? What did you find most challenging?

Nancy: Gosh, there have been so many favorite moments - where do I start?!

Watching her sleep sweetly on my husband's chest when she was wee little.

When she belly-laughed out loud for the first time...

Ashby doesn't easily go to anyone besides me and my husband, but after my Mom was diagnosed with ALS, Ashby crawled over to her immediately and put her head on my mother's chest as if to say "I know and I love you, Grandmama." Ashby was only 5 months old, but I know she sensed our pain, and it was one of the sweetest moments I have ever witnessed.

How she idolizes her older brothers (my stepsons) and hangs right with them. She's definitely a tomboy.

How her face lights up when I walk in from work, and then her hands reach out for me. I completely melt.

Nursing... it was such a bonding time, and it was our time together.

Rocking her to Celine Dion's Miracle CD. I would just cry and cry out of happiness. Oh, and perhaps a few hormones were kicking in as well.

Regarding the most challenging moments...

The very first month when I felt like I had absolutely no idea what I was doing. Luckily, my husband has two boys from his first marriage - my fabulous stepsons - so he was the teacher.

Changing Ashby’s diapers for the first month - she HATED having her diaper changed those first few weeks.

Her first fever - which she didn't get until she was one - I stayed up staring at her all night making sure she was okay, constantly checking her temperature while trying not wake her.

The Cradle: Looking back, how was your pregnancy experience: enjoyable or emotional?

Nancy: Definitely enjoyable - I felt so great. Seriously, I felt better than ever... better than before I was pregnant. It was probably because I was eating so healthy and I was beyond happy!

The Cradle: Did you feel pressure going through your pregnancy while living in the public eye?

Nancy: Ironically, it actually was freeing. If my belly stuck out on the show, there was a reason why!

The Cradle: When you brought your baby home, what were those first few months like for you?

Nancy: Terrifying... I felt like I had no clue what to do or when to do it - having never had a baby before. Luckily, my husband, who has two sons from his first marriage, was calm, cool, and collected. I kept quizzing people at work about what all I should know. I remember the week before maternity leave, Billy Bush (my co-host) brought in a doll and proceeded to show me how to swaddle a baby - I kid you not!

The Cradle: What are some of your favorite baby - or mom - products? Are there any that you just can’t live without?

Nancy: Definitely Pedipeds. I love those baby shoes. Many baby shoes don't fit a baby's foot because babies have those cute pudgy feet. Pedipeds always fit and are flexible and comfortable and stylish.

I also love this high chair Ashby has. It is a Nicole Reid high chair and it looks like furniture. It is made of beautifully stained brown wood, has a vinyl seat which totally looks like leather, and her name is even embroidered on the back. It looks great just sitting out and will make a nice heirloom. Also, Silver Cross strollers and the Orbit Baby System... fabulous! And, Sleepers from The Children's Place... these are cute and affordable, too.

The Cradle: How was it going back to work with a little one at home?

Nancy: I have to be honest... toughest thing ever! Sometimes I run from the set to get home and see her. It is like Christmas every day!

The Cradle: What do you feel is the greatest gift a mother can share or pass along to her child?

Nancy: To make your child feel so loved that he or she will know you will always be there for him or her always! Give love, love, love and when you think you are showering him or her with too much affection, love even more. There is no better feeling than to know your parent has got your back. My mother was my best friend and I hope to be that for my daughter, as well. That was certainly a great gift my mother gave me.

Nancy’s favorites:

Pediped shoes

Nicole Reid Baby High Chairs

The Children's Place Sleepers

Although Nancy O’Dell maintains a busy work schedule, she regularly makes time for philanthropic endeavors. O’Dell, a National Vice President of the Muscular Dystrophy Association and ALS Division Celebrity Ambassador, has been working with the ALS division since her mother, Betty Humphries, was diagnosed with and recently passed away from complications relating to ALS.

Source: http://www.thecradle.com/cradlepopculture/talkingwith_nodell

March for Babies Brings Together Celebrities, Family Teams, and Companies to Help Improve Health of Babies

A group of Hollywood's new moms have joined up in a photo shoot to show their support for March for Babies, the March of Dimes premier fundraising event that helps moms have full-term pregnancies and babies have healthy lives.

Volunteer moms including Nancy O'Dell (Access Hollywood), Julie Bowen (Boston Legal), Melissa Joan Hart (Whispers and Lies, Sabrina the Teenage Witch), Garcelle Beauvais-Nilon (Eyes), Diane Farr (Numb3rs), Kellie Martin (No Brother of Mine, Mystery Woman), Jenny Garth (90210), and Elisabeth Rohm (Law & Order) are all friends who got together -- some with their children -- to create a new March of Dimes public service campaign to raise funds and awareness, and to urge other moms to join the March for Babies.

"We're a team of friends, a network of moms who support each other through pregnancy and those happy but exhausting early months of motherhood," said Kellie Martin. "I walk in March for Babies and I have asked my friends and contacts to support March of Dimes, and we urge everyone else to join to give babies a healthy start in life."

The nation's oldest and best-loved annual walking event, March for Babies will take place the weekend of April 25-26 in more than 900 communities in all 50 states, the District of Columbia, and Puerto Rico.

The March of Dimes hopes to raise $117 million from the event in 2009 to support research to find answers to the serious problems that threaten babies and community-based programs that bring comfort and information to families whose babies were born sick or prematurely.

More than 20,000 teams will participate in March for Babies nationwide, drawn from schools, clubs, moms groups, family teams, unions, large and small companies, and other organizations. Companies that participate say March for Babies shows their customers and their community that they care about moms and babies -- and it's a great team-building experience.

National March for Babies sponsors in 2009 are Kmart, the March of Dimes longest standing corporate supporter and largest contributor to its mission, CIGNA, Continental Airlines, Famous Footwear, Farmers Insurance Group of Companies, FedEx and Liberty Tax Service. Additional support comes from First Response, Mead Johnson Nutrition and Ther-Rx Corporation. Outdoor Services supports March for Babies by donating billboard and bus shelter advertising space.

The March of Dimes is the leading nonprofit organization for pregnancy and baby health. With chapters nationwide and its premier event, March for Babies(SM), the March of Dimes works to improve the health of babies by preventing birth defects, premature birth and infant mortality. The walk starts here at marchforbabies.org.

For the latest resources and information, visit marchofdimes.com or nacersano.org.

Source: http://news.prnewswire.com/DisplayReleaseC...5624&EDATE=

Access’ Nancy O’Dell Among New ‘Dancing With The Stars’ Cast

post-17383-1234155452_thumb.jpg

Access’ Nancy O’Dell

Access Hollywood’s Nancy O’Dell has made a living interviewing celebrities. Now, she’s about to join the “Stars.”

“Dancing With the Stars” revealed the latest cast of celebrities gearing up to lace up their dancing shoes and strut their way into the homes of millions during the “All Night Name Drop” on ABC Sunday night.

The dancing hopefuls include Access Hollywood’s Nancy O’Dell, rapper Lil’ Kim, former New York Giants linebacker Lawrence Taylor, “Jackass” wild man Steve-O, actress and reality show star Denise Richards, Olympic gold medalist Shawn Johnson, singer Jewel, rodeo star Ty Murray (who is also Jewel’s husband), actor and comedian David Alan Grier, “Sex and The City” guy candy Gilles Marini, country singer Chuck Wicks (who is also Julianne Hough’s boyfriend), former Go-Go’s singer Belinda Carlisle and Apple computers co-founder Steve Wozniak.

“I’m panicked, petrified, nervous, scared and excited all rolled up together!” Nancy told Access. “When ‘DWTS’ asked if I would do the show, everyone told me I had to do it…my husband, my boss, my parent-in-laws, my sister, my dad, my kids, my manager. People love that show and so do I. However, after watching season after season, I never ever thought I’d be one of the competitors! But my baby girl loves to dance so now she can watch mama dancing. Hopefully that’s what it will look like anyway…”

“Dancing” host Tom Bergeron announced the celeb cast in between the shows on ABC’s Sunday night lineup including “Extreme Makeover: Home Edition,” “Desperate Housewives” and “Brothers and Sisters.”

“Good Morning America” will have the first live in-studio interview with one of the new celebrity dancers on Monday morning.

Jimmy Kimmel will host another contestant of “Dancing’s” Season 8 on Tuesday night on his late night show.

The new season of “Dancing With the Stars” will premiere on March 9 on ABC.

Source: http://www.accesshollywood.com/access-nanc...t_article_13721

Nancy O’Dell’s Ashby is Pretty in Pink!

Here’s a celebrity baby we haven’t seen in awhile! Ashby Grace Zubchevich, 20 months, poses with parents Nancy O’Dell and Keith Zubchevich at Tori Spelling’s “Winter Wonderland” party, held Saturday in California.

The Access Hollywood host, 42, is also stepmom to Keith’s sons Tyler, 13, and Carson, 9. She recently joked that being athletic provided her with an in to get to know the boys!

“I love sports, so I play basketball and I throw the football with my stepsons. That was the way I won them over a little bit. I dated a football player in college and he taught me to throw a spiral. So I was cool, I was okay; I was in once they realized I could throw a spiral.”

Next up for Nancy? Putting on her dancing shoes for the eighth season of Dancing With the Stars, which begins next month on ABC.

February 7, 2009

31976207fu3.th.jpg

Nancy O’Dell & Family at Tori Spelling’s Winter Wonderland

Nancy O`Dell, husband Keith Zubchevich and their 20-month-old daughter Ashby Grace pose for a photo at Tori Spelling’s “Winter Wonderland” party held at the actress’ home on Saturday in Encino, Calif.

The event which benefited the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Southern California, was attended by other celebrity moms such as Denise Richards and Rachel Griffiths.

February 7, 2009

19651197sx6.th.jpg