Layla90

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 4 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

icon_comments_74.png

'The woman squeezed my thighs and said I was too big': Plus-size models detail the horrors of working in an industry that STILL refuses to embrace curves on the catwalk 

• Sabina Karlsson, 27, of Sweden, and Barbie Ferreira, 18, from New York, are among the women featured in i-D's week-long video series Size Matters
  • The Swedish star, who was once a straight-size model, recalls how she was constantly told she was 'too big' before her agency dropped her
  • She now works as a plus-size model and stars in Lane Bryant's campaigns
  • Barbie got her big break after sending photos to American Apparel, however, she says she is actually too small to fit into plus-size clothes

By ERICA TEMPESTA FOR DAILYMAIL.COM

PUBLISHED: 11:12 EST, 1 December 2015 | UPDATED: 16:06 EST, 1 December 2015

Two of the fashion industry’s most successful plus-size models have detailed the scrutiny they have faced while working within an industry which continues to value skinny 'straight-size' women above all else. 

Sabina Karlsson, 27, of Sweden, and Barbie Ferreira, 18, from New York, are among the women featured in i-D's week-long video series Size Matters, which explores the pressure models face to be thin - or in some cases gain weight, so they can fit into the plus-size category. In one of the videos, Sabina, who worked as a straight-size model before she transitioned into the plus-size market, recalls being ridiculed by a casting director because of her size.

'I would go to a casting, I remember in Milan once, and the casting director she just like squeezed my thighs and said: "No. No. No. Too big,"' she says in the clip. 

Scroll down for video  

Natural beauty_ Swedish model Sabina Karlsson, 27, recalls her transition from straight-size to plus-size modeling as part of i-D_0012.jpg

+11

Natural beauty: Swedish model Sabina Karlsson, 27, recalls her transition from straight-size to plus-size modeling as part of i-D's week-long video series Size matters, which explores the pressure models fact to be thin 

Changing times_ Sabina walked the runwa_0014.jpg

+11
Changing times_ Sabina walked the runway for _0013.jpg

+11

Changing times: Sabina walked the runway for Betsey Johnson as a straight-size model in 2008 (left). This September she strutted down the catwalk for Canadian lingerie brand Addition Elle (right)

Before she started working as a plus-size model, Sabina says she used to 'always stressed out' that she wouldn't fit into the clothes and would be sent home. 

'I already knew that I wasn't as skinny as most of the girls,' she says. 'I wasn't comfortable in my body.' 

Sabina, who worked for designer labels such as Jean Paul Gaultier and Armani, notes that she was always told she was 'too big'. 

RELATED ARTICLES

• dm_com_29.png
  • dm_com_29.png
  • dm_com_29.png
  • dm_com_29.png
  • 41D1C54B00000578-0-image-a-30_1498599786559.jpg2EF5053B00000578-0-image-a-10_1448970962674.jpg
  • 2EEF70A200000578-3326700-image-a-12_1448923515193.jpg

Curvy model Barbie Ferreira flaunts her healthy figure

Loaded: 0%
Progress: 0%
00:00
Play
Mute

Current Time0:00
/
Duration Time0:38
Fullscreen
Need Text

Feeling confident_ Sabin_0015.jpg

+11
001_Feeling confident_ S_0016.jpg

+11

Feeling confident: Sabina was always told she was 'too big' when she was a straight size model. The Swedish beauty says she is grateful that being a plus-size model allows her finally embrace her natural body 

Eventually, her agency at the time told her they couldn't represent her anymore, and she feared her modeling career was over.   

'If they think I am too big, all the other ones are going to think I am too big as well,' she recalls. 'And I felt like, 'Okay, I am never going to be modeling again because this is it.

'I guess I thought being a straight size model was the only way to be successful. That was the world I was coming from and also that's what the society and media are putting out there.'

Role model_ Sabina (third from left) recently starred in Lane Bryant's 'Plus Is Equal' campaign, which promotes fashion for all sizes .jpg

+11

Role model: Sabina (third from left) recently starred in Lane Bryant's 'Plus Is Equal' campaign, which promotes fashion for all sizes 

Sabina, who continues to walk the runway and pose for plus-size brand Lane Bryant, says she is immensely grateful that she was able to enter the plus-size industry because it allows her to embrace her natural body - a change she would like to see across the industry.

'Using different kinds of models will help so many girls and women out there,' she says. 'I just want to see all types of girls in the media - size 16, a size 2, doesn't matter. I just want everyone to be brought together.'

Meanwhile, Barbie recalls in her video how she inadvertently entered the plus-size modeling industry, explaining that she was taking photos of herself after school when she decided to send the images to American Apparel. The brand ended up emailing her back, giving Barbie her first break.   

New media_ Barbie Ferreira, 18, from New York, credits Instagram for helping her and her friends book modeling jobs .jpg

+11

New media: Barbie Ferreira, 18, from New York, credits Instagram for helping her and her friends book modeling jobs 

Big break_ Barbie started modeling for American Apparel (pictured) after she sent the brand pictures she snapped herself.jpg

+11
Big break_ Barbie started modeling for American Apparel after she sent the bran_0020.jpg

+11

Big break: Barbie started modeling for American Apparel (left) after she sent the brand pictures she snapped herself. The Instagram star can be seen taking a selfie of herself (right) 

'I didn't know curve modeling was a thing,' she says. 'I didn't even think that. I thought it was very rigid standards.'

And while Barbie is technically considered a plus-size model, she notes that she doesn't actually fit the label.  

'The term plus-size is so inaccurate,' she explains. 'I am not plus-size. I have never really bought an article of clothing that is plus-size.'

The Instagram sensation credits the internet for helping curvy models find work, saying that some of her friends find great work after sharing photos on the social media site. 

Wrong label_ Although she is often called a plus-size model, Barbie notes that she has never purchased or fit into plus-size clothing _0021.jpg

+11

Wrong label: Although she is often called a plus-size model, Barbie notes that she has never purchased or fit into plus-size clothing before 

Gaining acceptance_ Barbie says she finally believes that it is possible for her to have a successful career as model no matter what h_0022.jpg

+11

Gaining acceptance: Barbie says she finally believes that it is possible for her to have a successful career as model no matter what her size 

'It is almost like a business card,' Barbie says. 'Here I am this is me raw, unsensored. Take it or leave it'

The teen model says she started paying to attention to other 'models who weren't a size two who did thing' and now believes it is possible to forge a successful career without altering her body - something she didn't necessarily believe before. 

Barbie says she gets more excited about being asked to go to a casting than actually getting the job because it means more designers and brands are willing to see and hire curvier models.  

'Bigger opportunities are being given to curvy girls, and I think it is time that we stop hating ourselves and feeding into the bullsh** so that we can fuel this billion dollar industry,' she says.  

• 1 year later...