Wesley Sneijder
Thumbnail

Chic_Raul_ista

• 1 month later...

Olimpiacos vs. Real Madrid

Goalkeepers: Casillas, Codina

Defenders: Sergio Ramos, Marcelo, Heinze, Pepe, Cannavaro, Torres

Midfielders: Gago, Drenthe, Balboa, Sneijder, Robinho, Diarra

Forwards: Soldado, Saviola, Baptista, Van Nistelrooy, Raúl.

0- OLYMPIACOS: Nikopolidis; Pantos, Zewlakow, Julio César (Mendrinos, 73’), Raúl Bravo (Archubi, min.52); Galletti, Patsatzoglou, Djordjevic, Stoltidis, Lualua; Kovacevic (Konstantonou, 79’).

0- REAL MADRID: Casillas; Ramos, Cannavaro, Heinze, Marcelo; Robinho (Saviola, 82’), Diarra, Gago, Sneijder; Van Nistelrooy and Raúl (Balboa, 82’).

REFEREE: Lubos Michel. Booked Casillas (min.9), Ramos (min.14), Djordjevic (min.43), Pantos (min.70).

NOTES: Matchday 4 of Group C in the Champions League played at Georgios Karaiskakis Stadium. Attendance: 53,000.

Sneijder and Cannavaro

"We controlled the match"

Sneijder and Cannavaro were pleased with the team's attitude during Tueday's Champions League match against Olympiacos.

SNEIJDER:

“We had many chances in the first half. We controlled the match in the second half, but didn't have as many opportunities, or they weren't as clear at least. Qualifying for the knockout round isn't so easy. We only have two matches left so the sooner we do the better.”

“We're already thinking about the match against Werder Bremen. All in all, this isn't a bad result, although we did want to win. It felt good to play again and I am happy with my performance.”

CANNAVARO:

“I think we're returning to Madrid with two points less than we deserve. We weren't able to score, but I really liked the team's attitude. What I didn't like was the end of the match. We have to be more careful in order not to deal with a counterattack in the 93rd minute. After dominating a match like we did, you can't lose because of one lapse of concentration.”

“We're going to move on with the same attitude and enthusiasm as the last two or three matches. You can win or lose, but attitude is what counts. We'll be fine if we keep it up.”

“The coach decides which centre-back plays each match. We just have to work hard and play the best we can.”

Sneijder press conference

"We feel great"

Wesley Sneijder gave his first post-training press conference since his arrival this summer. The Dutch player said he feels no pressure for playing for Real Madrid and that he doesn't mind playing wherever the coach tells him to.

Could you tell us about how you’ve felt these first few months at Real Madrid?

I feel great. I had a good start and things are going well, as I expected. I scored several goals in my first few games and not so many since, but that’s not important to me. I play for the team. I want to create something here. Everything’s great: the players, the staff...

Where do you feel more comfortable, on the right, the centre or the left?

I consider myself to be more of an attacking midfielder than anything else and I feel very comfortable playing behind the strikers. I nevertheless don’t mind where I play. I can either perform on the left or the right. I want to play, so I will do what the coach says.

What can you tell us about Sunday’s match against Mallorca?

Every game is important and tough in this league. None of them are easy. We have to play in every single one as if we were in a final. This also applies to Sunday’s fixture. Mallorca have some dangerous players and we must be careful, but we must simply focus on playing our game. It is good to have been able to have a few days rest between matches to prepare well for Sunday.

Is there discomfort on the squad for having returned a day later than originally scheduled after the match in Greece?

No. Everything’s fine. We played well in Greece and we are currently leaders in the League and in our Champions League group. There is no discomfort on the squad; I don’t think anything’s changed.

Schuster said he missed Guti on the pitch the other day. You played in his stead. How do you feel about what he said?

Guti and I are different players. Guti normally gives more decisive passes. I can do that occasionally too, but we are completely different. He didn’t play on Tuesday and he will miss the game on Sunday due to suspension. Guti is a very important player, but I think there is enough quality on the team for anyone else to play.

Do you feel the pressure of playing for Real Madrid?

No, but maybe I did at the beginning because I was new here. The team doesn’t feel pressure either. There is no reason to: we are leaders.

Are you surprised about the fact that Luis Aragonés hasn’t called up Raúl to play for Spain again?

I’ve been able to see these past few months that Raúl is a great player. He works very hard. He’s scored many goals this season and I’m sure he will score many more. Nevertheless, I can’t comment on the Spanish national team; I never watch them play because when they do I am normally playing with the Netherlands. I read about how well they do in the papers, but that’s it. I think Raúl is a great player, and so is Guti. I think every player on this squad is good enough to play with his national side.

You’ve played more minutes than Robben and Drenthe...

Robben has been very unlucky with this new injury, but I’m sure he will be a very important player for this team. Drenthe is still very young, but I think he will also be important here. As Van Nistelrooy recently said, he didn’t play that many games in Holland before he came here. He is only 20 and must learn more, as well as listen and look up to the veterans.

A sports journal today says that the Club will hire a motivational psychologist for the players. What do you think about that?

I feel great and I don’t need one. In fact, the whole team feels well psychologically speaking. I don’t know if the news is true, but if it is, I definitely don’t need a psychologist.

How is your Spanish coming along?

Well, as you can see I understand it well, but it is difficult to speak. I guess I will be able to do a press conference in Spanish in 2 or 3 months.

Why do you think your performances are weaker than they were at the start of the season?

At the start of the campaign I played down the left, but I had freedom to play behind Ruud and Raúl too. I then was positioned on the right or in the centre, which I didn’t and don’t mind. I think the team has great movement in midfield.

Sneijder - I Do Not Need A Psychologist

Welsey Sneijder has stated that he does not need or want to see a sports psychologist after Real Madrid were reported to be in talks with hiring one.

The Dutch midfielder was one of the player's named as someone who could do with the services of Kerry Spackman to cope with the pressure of the moving to the club.

That has not gone down well with Sneijder though and he has reacted angrily to suggestions that a chat with Lewis Hamilton's psychologist would help him.

"I feel great and I don’t need one," he said. "In fact, the whole team feels well psychologically speaking. I don’t know if the news is true, but if it is, I definitely don’t need a psychologist."

Sneijder has been accused of seeing his form dip after some outstanding early displays, but he claims that it has nothing to do with the pressure.

"Maybe I did at the beginning because I was new here. The team doesn’t feel pressure either. There is no reason to: we are leaders," he continued.

"At the start of the campaign I played down the left, but I had freedom to play behind Ruud and Raúl too. I then was positioned on the right or in the centre, which I didn’t and don’t mind. I think the team has great movement in midfield."

This weekend Real Madrid take on Real Mallorca in the Bernabéu and Sneijder does not believe Bernd Schuster's side will take their foot off the pedal.

Every game is important and tough in this league. None of them are easy," he said. "We have to play in every single one as if we were in a final. This also applies to Sunday’s fixture.

"Mallorca have some dangerous players and we must be careful, but we must simply focus on playing our game. It is good to have been able to have a few days rest between matches to prepare well for Sunday.

"We played well in Greece and we are currently leaders in the League and in our Champions League group. There is no discomfort on the squad; I don’t think anything’s changed."