Bellazon

Wesley Sneijder
Thumbnail

Chic_Raul_ista

• 2 months later...

Sneijder close to new Inter deal

Wesley Sneijder expects to sign a new contract with Inter Milan this month.

The Netherlands international has been in talks with the Serie A outfit since June with regards to an extension.

The 26-year-old winger is set to prolong his stay by two years, until June 2015.

"This is my club," Sneijder told Corriere dello Sport. "I am very happy here and in 15 days' time I will complete the deal for my renewal."

According to local media reports, under the new deal, Sneijder will earn six million euros per annum.

Sneijder joined Inter from Real Madrid in the summer of 2009.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Wesley Sneijder on his years at Madrid

by unamadridista

AS published an interesting interview with Wesley Sneijder the other day, the first where he talks about his departure from Madrid. He said some noteworthy things, so here are the parts where he talked about Madrid and Mourinho.

Q: You were in top form in your first year with Inter. How did you adapt to the rigidity of the Calcio?

A: It was mental. My first year in Madrid was very good, the second not so much because I had personal problems. When I left, I felt that I hadn’t accomplished anything. I wanted more. I felt bad for the fans, for the press, for my teammates. When I went to Inter, I couldn’t stop thinking, “it was a horrible year, but I don’t want to continue like that. I want to show the whole world what I’m capable of.”

Q: It was a question of mentality?

A: Mourinho also gave me confidence. I arrived on a Thursday and on Saturday, in the derby, he started me and we won 4-0.

Q: What does Mourinho do that makes him such a special person?

A: Something psychological. He knows perfectly how a player feels. I told him things and he knew how I thought. The dialogue was very direct. Sometimes, he would tell me, “you need three days rest, stay at home.”

Q: What was your departure from Real Madrid like?

A: ¡Una locura! The most difficult moment was when they made me train on another field, apart from everyone else. I felt like I was in jail. But I accepted it and I left, although with pain. But that pain doesn’t exist anymore. Inter has helped me to forget…

Q: Who let you down the most?

A: I got along very well with Pellegrini. I think he wanted me to stay. The problem was with Valdano and Pérez, more with Valdano. But life is like that.

Q: What is your opinion of Valdano?

A: Nothing, nothing. If I see him, I’ll greet him without any problems. It’s alright because life is like that, you come and go. But the way that everything happened…

Q: Why did your performance decline so much in the second year?

A: To begin with, I was injured for three months. Then I had problems with my ex-wife. She wouldn’t let me see my son, and it was all very complicated. No one in the club reached out to me.

Q: Did it bother you that they said you went out a lot at night?

A: No, because it was the truth. I did got out a lot, I know. And then came a moment at the end of the year when I got up one morning and I thought, “Wesley, what are you doing? You have quality, you’re in the best club in the world, what are you doing!” And so, all that ended.

Q: Were you still in Madrid then?

A: Yes, yes. During the last three weeks, I returned to my best level.

Q: How did you find yourself in this downward spiral?

A: I’m not going to lie. I was almost always out partying… when you’re alone at home and you have so many ugly things to think about, you need to escape. What could I do? Later on, the woman who’s now my wife helped me a lot. We talked a lot…

Q: Did you think about returning to Madrid when they signed Mourinho?

A: No, because I didn’t want to… It was very complicated although I still feel something for the club, but with the people in charge…

Q: You don’t want anything to do with Florentino and Valdano?

A: Nothing! [Jajaja, go Wesley!]

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...