Bellazon

Why can't short/petite women be models and walk runway?

dizzymisslizzy

i think short girls/guys deserve some cred especially if they are extremly fierce. but right now their is more short models on the runway then ever ....sasha, snejana and whole bunch more. It should be more about leg proportion vs. height in some instances.

however i think tall slim people are just better on the runway because they can travel a longer distance faster with much more ease. PLus the designers dont have to worry about tailoring the clothes to accomodate the short bodies since all styles sit well on tall thin people. A full length coat would consume a short person...it limits the designers posibilities.

I think...don´t get me wrong, I just think that runway is supposed to be walked by tall women :idk: I mean, it´s all about that, they shine more, they look more graceful, clothes look more glamorous on them, as they walk, it´s all...just an image, but still...there is nothing more beautiful than a tall long-legged woman walking down the runway :idk: it makes people stop breathing, or at least, think about her for a moment, it catches their eyes :idk: and there are also those practical reasons Straw has mentioned!

Completely agree with both of you! But as time goes by a new fashion evolution will occur, which will bring out different styles, shapes, sizes, colors... There has been more models who have been shorter than the typical model height but thinking about it yeah makes me want to see normal height models who have potential no matter how tall they are do runway as much as the tall skinny models as long as they are eye catching and talented they can compare to absolutly any model in this world IMO.

I totally agree with Straw and Jennka, but I think if there is someone fierce, amazingly beautiful, unique and great at modeling they should be given the chance. I mean look at Kate Moss (5'6) and Devon Aoki (5'5) on the runway they looked liked any other model (height wise) because they had the bodies and the faces. The reason they didn't look out of place on the runway was because they had the right proportions and modelesque figuers minus afew inches in height so when they put their heels on, they didn't look out of place :)

I think...don´t get me wrong, I just think that runway is supposed to be walked by tall women :idk: I mean, it´s all about that, they shine more, they look more graceful, clothes look more glamorous on them, as they walk, it´s all...just an image, but still...there is nothing more beautiful than a tall long-legged woman walking down the runway :idk: it makes people stop breathing, or at least, think about her for a moment, it catches their eyes :idk: and there are also those practical reasons Straw has mentioned!

Exactly!that's just what i wanted to say.i mean i was at this restaurant the other day and i was surrounded by quite beautiful people and while i was just observing this very tall and very beautyful girl passed by and you just couldn't help yourself not to just stop and stare.it is just like when you want to show something off in a shop window or somewhere and you put it on a higher stand or when artists go on a high stage to sing or perform.the taller the fiercer!you are supposed to look UP and admire

I totally agree with Straw and Jennka, but I think if there is someone fierce, amazingly beautiful, unique and great at modeling they should be given the chance. I mean look at Kate Moss (5'6) and Devon Aoki (5'5) on the runway they looked liked any other model (height wise) because they had the bodies and the faces. The reason they didn't look out of place on the runway was because they had the right proportions and modelesque figuers minus afew inches in height so when they put their heels on, they didn't look out of place :)

you´re right :) it´s about proportions too :)

100%A.B.B. - that´s exactly my point!!! :hug:

Models are supposed to be a certain height. Her long bodies just give an illusion on the runway. the clothes look better on a model that is tall only because it's displayed better. it creates the "dead women" walking look. That's what give models that unique look that almost becomes a fantacy. you don't see many women walking down the street that stand at (5"10-6'0). a shorter person would have a difficult time standing out from the rest and it just wouldn't look right.

Kate Moss is the shortest from the"supermodel" era. but then again, Naomi Campbell and her both are from the same era. Kate Moss wouldn't be booked for a show today. That's why she's used for print advertising today. Devon Aoki hasn't had a successful runway career.

Models are supposed to be a certain height. Her long bodies just give an illusion on the runway. the clothes look better on a model that is tall only because it's displayed better. it creates the "dead women" walking look. That's what give models that unique look that almost becomes a fantacy. you don't see many women walking down the street that stand at (5"10-6'0). a shorter person would have a difficult time standing out from the rest and it just wouldn't look right.

Kate Moss is the shortest from the"supermodel" era. but then again, Naomi Campbell and her both are from the same era. Kate Moss wouldn't be booked for a show today. That's why she's used for print advertising today. Devon Aoki hasn't had a successful runway career.

Devon did have a successful runway career aswell as print, its just that it was awhile ago when she was just concentrating on modeling, now shes an actress and does the occassional print modeling or advertising. I've seen many of her runway shows and you can't say she wasn't successful.

I don't nessicarily think that taller women are more beautiful and graceful than shorter women(that can certainly not be the case) but it just seems as if the modeling industry was made for taller people while the acting industry was made for shorter people. I'm not saying you can't be tall to be a great actor, there are many, but most of them are really short or shotrer than a typical model. Like Eva Longoria. But you can still do anything you set your mind to. If Helen Keller could go to college, you can too! :yes: :hehe:

I don't nessicarily think that taller women are more beautiful and graceful than shorter women(that can certainly not be the case) but it just seems as if the modeling industry was made for taller people while the acting industry was made for shorter people. I'm not saying you can't be tall to be a great actor, there are many, but most of them are really short or shotrer than a typical model. Like Eva Longoria. But you can still do anything you set your mind to. If Helen Keller could go to college, you can too! :yes: :hehe:

Sorry, but I don´t consider Eva Longoria as a great actress :blink: just by the way :idk: acting is not about height, while modeling is - or better, runway is. These are two absolutely different things.

Sorry, but I don´t consider Eva Longoria as a great actress :blink: just by the way :idk: acting is not about height, while modeling is - or better, runway is. These are two absolutely different things.

I think models have to be tall for many reasons. Many type of clothes look a lot better on tall, slim people. There are many kind of clothes, short people just can't wear! For example a long wavy skirt...someone short would just disappear in it....or long, stretch trousers....they make legs look even shorter...so if someone already has short legs, it looks ;-(

Another reason is, that clothes on a tall person just have a huger impact/effect....they can be seen more. And the designers want to sell their clothes...so people have to see them.

Next thing...on the runway, the audience wants to see the models, also if you are sitting in the third row. Ok, the runway is elevated, but still the models have to be tall, so all the audience can see them.

That's it. The only exceptions are Kate Moss and Laetitia Casta for me.

I think there will always be exceptions to the rules, but I just love it that the girls are tall......to create this illusion.

PS: this doesn't mean that there aren't short people who are not beautiful. Beauty is not a matter of size...but in the model business, it's not only about beauty. And short people have reached a lot of things...just think of Napoleon or Madonna...

You're missing my point. I am not saying Eva is a great actress, I am just using her as an example on how actors and actersses tend to be smaller than models for it seems to be made for shorter people.

I totally agree with Xanessa! In acting being short is an advantage! But if you've got skills, than you can make acting, even if you are taller than the average(actresses)! So, just the same way in modelling! Being tall is an advantage, however being shorter than average(models) won't stop you, if you have a beautiful or at least an interesting face! :)

I totally agree with Xanessa! In acting being short is an advantage! But if you've got skills, than you can make acting, even if you are taller than the average(actresses)! So, just the same way in modelling! Being tall is an advantage, however being shorter than average(models) won't stop you, if you have a beautiful or at least an interesting face! :)

Hm...yes in acting, they like short actresses because they cast many actresses after the male part, which still uses to be the protoganist. So he is casted first, and then they cast the woman part... And while there are so many short men in the business....Tom Cruise & Co. well...it once again looks better if the man is taller than the woman. Hollywood is pretty conservative. But there are also a lot of tall actresses....Cameron Diaz, Liv Tyler, Uman Thurman......But I think there are more small actresses. Acting is different, because they represent all kind of people in their roles.

But modeling: No. Every agency will reject you if you are smaller than 1,70m (and there are no chances you will grow.) And if you are between 1,70 and 1,75...they still have concerns, taking you on....

All I want to say, there are certain assets you'll just have to have, if you want to model professionally...and one of them is the height!

If you want to work as a doctor, you have to hold a degree in medicine!

And if you want to be a model, you have to have a certain height...among other features.

• 1 year later...