Bellazon

Paulina Porizkova
Thumbnail

supermodel07

Oh Red, I know you think you've impressed everyone with your ability to procure rare hi-quality scans without paying for them but I'm about to steal all your glory with this little post--Paulina-- on the cover of Vogue...Knitting...International. Ohhh Yeah! Guess I win this round. Time to do my victory dance :dance:
Sorry dude, I posted this in HQ some time ago.

Well played Jal718 (if that is your real name), but have you ever posted this pick where Paulina proves once and for all that fur is not necessarily murder? VICTORY IS MINE ! AH-HA-HA-HA -HA! :war:

Below

:rofl:

I wouldn't make fun of you today, Red. I just paid $4.1999 a gallon for gas my respect for all forms of chintzing has gone up immensely.

On another note--a rat note. In grade school I volunteered to take care of the rat cage over the summer. I had seen a film at the museum in Philadelphia of rats playing basketball and thought it would be hilarious if I could teach the school rats to do the same. It didn't quite work out though because once the smartest rat learned the trick it would hog the ball preventing his slower mate from ever learning the trick. I suppose I could have gotten another cage and coached the less brilliant rat one on one but at 12 that seemed like a lot of effort to teach special-ed rat, basketball.

post-7779-1332211923_thumb.jpg

Nice pic! I did hear Paulina once mention she has a couple of rats as pets. These must be them. She seems to think they make very nice pets (I have no idea, she may be right)

Here is an Estee Lauder publicity shot from the 1990 Fall ColorStory "Neutrality"

It is not my scan, it was provided to me, and for fear of being made fun of again, I will not divulge how I came to be in possession of said scan...

post-18318-1332215629_thumb.jpg back:post-18318-1335446006_thumb.jpg

At 45, this former supermodel does look amazingly good. The new Avon spokesperson gets real about her life of glitz and glamour, and how things are not what they seem.

Wow. She can act. Look her up on youTube;type in ‘the cars drive’ and there she will be: 20-year-old Paulina Porizkova, playing a manic depressive but the most beautiful one you ever saw.Sure, that was in the late Eighties but she still commands attention till this day. Standing at 180cm with a lithe build and lustrous long hair, here is a woman who (at 18) graced the cover of Sports Illustrated (the swimsuit issue, and twice at that).But life for this supermodel has not always been about photo shoots and runways.

ACCIDENTAL GLAMOUR

Born Pavlína Porízková in Czechoslovakia on April 9, 1965, Paulina experienced a turbulent childhood following her parents’ divorce. When her father left the family, Paulina along with her mother and brother, found they had to fend for themselves, sometimes eating just pieces of bread to fi ll their stomachs. It seemed like young Paulina was going to lead a life of hardship. But fate had other plans for her, it would unravel.

Some years later, a photographer friend put together a work portfolio using Paulina as a model and then sent the shots to the Elite Modelling Agency. The friend was hoping that her pictures would get noticed but it was Paulina who stole the show. The world-famous modelling agency put her on a fl ight to Paris where she became a fashion model and then later, to the USA where she graced countless glossy magazine covers such as Vogue, Elle and Glamour.

From being a model import from Central Europe, Paulina was now an elite sophisticate of the fashion world.

DOWN TO EARTH

In her own personal realm, she is very in touch with the realities of life and is not ashamed to admit it. She blogs (for The Huffington Post) about modelling as a profession and the perception that surrounds the industry. “It is assumed that if you model highfashion clothes, you must love fashion. Not so. Most models, myself included, dress for comfort, a sort of clean grunge; something like 10 years before anyone had ever heard of grunge!

There were also a few frugal JCPenny (chain of departmental stores in the USA, for the middle income group) devotees, regardless of the money they made,” admits Paulina in her blog. Still, with her kind of looks, it wasn’t long before big screen offers came-a-knocking. Paulina starred opposite Tom Selleck in Her Alibi and also co-starred in Arizona Dreams, starring Johnny Depp, before taking time off to start a family with husband Ric Ocasek of The Cars. She met Ric on the set of his music video in 1984.

After their baby’s arrival, Paulina continued acting; among her work – Female Perversions with Tilda Swinton and Thursday with Aaron Eckhart. Once again, the baby bug got the better of her and she had her second child. Then more movies followed, among them are People I Know with Al Pacino and Knots with John Stamos. Despite all these acting credits to her name, Paulina Porizkova is still remembered for her supermodel status.

THEN AND NOW

On what she thinks of the current modelling industry as compared with that during her time in the late Eighties/early Nineties, Paulina says in an email interview with Her World:

“Digital photography has certainly changed the feel of posing and modelling. Nowadays, you stop ever so often to check the computers to see if you got the photo. In my time, we didn’t have the assurance that we had the right shots so we had to take many more photos, especially if the photographer lacked experience. “You get a kind of fl ow, a sort of dance in front of the camera, and checking the computer constantly interrupts that fl ow. The other major thing that has changed is the expectations of the models. Now, because of Photoshop, you don’t have to be perfect. You can have bad skin or thin hair; for that matter, you don’t even have to be a model now (to look like one).”

MISSING THAT LIFE

What I miss most about modelling is getting up in the morning with a sense of purpose and actually leaving the house. As a writer, I work from home, and I really miss getting dressed and working somewhere else. And I miss the money!” says Paulina, in retrospect. Compelled to set aside any dreamy-eyed notions about the modelling world, Paulina wrote a novel called A Model Summer in 2007. The New York Times reviewed it as ‘… successfully illustrating how seamy and fi lthy the world of modelling is, especially for young girls who leave home for their big breaks.

Some get the big breaks; others are merely broken.’ Refl ecting on her own start at the age of 15, Paulina mentions the following in her blog: ‘Imagine being put in front of the class by the blackboard and then systematically destroyed from top to toe by a bunch of teachers gathered for that very purpose. Then you’re failed and sent home, told to find another school, all because your nose has a slight bump, your ears stick out and your knees are fat.

Your identity becomes a chorus of other people’s complaints’. ‘If every time you go to work you’re told your waist is too fat, you will come to believe it even if your waist is 20 inches. After all, your livelihood depends on what other people think of your looks.’ And to counter the stereotypical ending of a model’s supposed ‘tragic life’, presumably with drugs and divorces in the picture, she sharply comments in her blog:

“The supermodel, however, lives on: often divorced but still fabulous and perpetually youthful. And, this is where I really mean to strip you off your assumptions about models – by staying married and ageing.”

SPEAKING OF AGE

Paulina, who turns 46 in April this year, is now spokesperson for global beauty company, Avon. “Through modelling, I have learnt that clothes do not make the woman. The makeup makes the woman. If your face looks good you can wear a garbage bag and still be a beautiful woman but if your face is splotchy and greasy, no amount of fine clothes is going to make you look better.”

Paulina herself cares for her skin with Anew Genics. She is the new face of this antiageing range by Avon. When asked what she sees herself doing 10 years from now, Paulina says: “To write at least another two or three books and make documentaries that will change the world – and stay married,” says the woman who was once touted as one of ‘Fifty Most Beautiful’, by People Magazine.

She adds: “Hopefully, I shall continue to get smarter, funnier and become more confident. And of course, stay looking 10 years younger; thanks to Avon.”

herworld.com.my