Bellazon

The Three Most Powerful Women In The World

Fashion_Princess

Condoleezza Rice

Condoleezza Rice

Condoleezza Rice

She is the first African-American woman to become the U.S. secretary of state. She advises the leader of the world's largest superpower and has an unparalleled level of trust with and access to the president. And she has served two other U.S. presidents, George H.W. Bush and Ronald Reagan. For all of these reasons, and more, Rice, is the most powerful woman in the world. X3 QFT

Condoleezza Rice serves a failed administration in its final months. They've lost respect through blatant lies, illegal activities, and terrible foreign policy, half the party's insiders have turned on it, and it lost control of Congress.

I wouldn't put Condoleezza Rice in list of top 20 powerful women. She's nothing anymore.

Agree with it or not, a top-3 list would probably include Oprah and J.K. Rowling, being self-made, world reknown billionaires.

Rice is probably up there, regardless of any political controversy. Anyway, it's Dr. Rice.

Oprah's influence is mostly domestic. Gisele is a model, and in the grand scheme of things, who cares? Sure, she's the richest model, but it's a drop in the barrel in the scope we're talking about. Hillary Clinton's power is mostly presumptive, but there's no guarantee she can get past Obama, or even the Republican nominee - given the baggage she carries with her (she has high negatives among Republicans who may not otherwise vote for an underwhelming GOP candidate unless it is to keep her out).

Angela Merkel is probably near the top. A few decades ago I might have mentioned Queen Elizabeth II, but I'm not sure how much real influence the monarchy has anymore. Pratibha Patil is Prime Minister of India.

So I'd probably go with...

Condi Rice - In summary, the Secretary of State of the United States is one of the most influential posts in the world. If she says something, it's world news. Regardless of who she works for.

Angela Merkel - Chancellor of Germany, one of the most influential European states with a strong economy

Pratibha Patil - Prime Minister of the second most populous nation in the world, and a nuclear power.

First, I'd like to say that money does not always equal power (but it helps). So Oprah and JK are super rich. So are Warren Buffet and Bill Gates. Can they arrest anyone? Can they declare war? No, but they can buy people cars and get into exclusive restaurants though. Angelina Jolie has more power than them being a goodwill ambassador for the UN High Commissioner for Refugees.

Condoleeza Rice does have a lot of power. But the President is the commander in chief he gets to do all the fun things like using wire taps on the general public and declare war. I mean, her power only lasts with the administration. Madeline Albright and Janet Reno are afterthoughts now and I'm sure they were hailed as the most powerful women.

Hilary Clinton doesn't even have as much power as Nancy Pelosi. Maybe she will get elected President, but since when do Democrats win the presidential election anymore? Hilary Clinton is a politician which means that she just talks and tries to sound important, poses for pictures and argues with the rest of the politicians. Sure she can cast a vote in the Senate, but good ole George W can just veto that vote.

So who's left? I guess I would steer clear of saying that American = world. I'll take the easy route and blindly trust Forbes magazine's 2006 list:

1. Angela Merkel

2. Condoleezza Rice

3. Wu Yi

That would be the chancellor of Germany, the secretary of state of the US, and the vice premier of China.

Condoleezza Rice serves a failed administration in its final months. They've lost respect through blatant lies, illegal activities, and terrible foreign policy, half the party's insiders have turned on it, and it lost control of Congress.

I wouldn't put Condoleezza Rice in list of top 20 powerful women. She's nothing anymore.

Agree with it or not, a top-3 list would probably include Oprah and J.K. Rowling, being self-made, world reknown billionaires.

Agree for J.K Rowling :yes:

Power, in its most technical and specific sense, means the ability to advance interests through exertion of influence, discussion or diplomacy, or force of arms.

People like Oprah and Rowling are famous, and as such their words have some weight. However, they are both limited by their professions, not simply different than Dr. Rice or Chancellor Merkel. In addition, while Oprah does attempt on a daily basis to make serious, thoughtful comments and from her point of view, improve the world - her "power base" is mostly married stay-at-home women. While there's nothing wrong with that, it's just limiting. JK Rowling writes children's fiction (which many adults also enjoy, obviously) and isn't exactly in the business of affecting the world in any ways other than expanding her bank account and possibly encouraging reading. Rowling, more than Oprah, would find it incredibly difficult just to step into the international arena and really make a difference.

There can be plenty of debate over whether or not Condi Rice wields any effective power, being a subordinate, but Merkel (and others mentioned) are sovereign leaders of countries. States (like Germany and India) are the principle actors on the world stage, and in effect are answerable to no-one (not even the United Nations takes away a country's sovereignty...basically the right to rule itself and conduct foreign policy).

I still think the most powerful men/women are those that no one really knows about :idk: you know...everyone loves puppets, and everyone sees puppets, but the most important is that one that makes them move ;)

marionettist ??

I think Dr. Rice should be on the list for sure. She is a wonderful example of womanhood. I don't care about political things either. She just IS. :yes: And, Chancellor Merkel, for sure.

Angelina Jolie being powerful? :huh: What does she have the power to do exactly? :shock: No offense but I think it's a legitimate question. :blush:

Oprah might be wealthy and can get people to read books but I would call her wealthy instead of powerful. Just my opinion.