Gary Oldman

post-774-1186823146_thumb.jpg

taken from wikipedia and imdb

Birth name: Leonard Gary Oldman

Born: March 21, 1958

Spouse(s): Lesley Manville (1988-1990)

Uma Thurman (1990-1992)

Donya Fiorentino (1997-2001)

Leonard Gary Oldman is an English actor, writer and director. He has garnered critical acclaim for his diversity of roles, starring in films such as Dracula, Léon, JFK and the Harry Potter film series. Oldman collected the Saturn Award for Best Actor for his performance in the title role of Dracula, and received an Emmy Award nomination for his guest appearance in a 2001 episode of Friends. His 1997 foray into writing and directing, Nil By Mouth, won the 1998 BAFTA Award for Best Film.

Biography

Early life

Oldman was born Leonard Gary Oldman in New Cross, London, to Len Oldman, a former sailor who worked as a welder, and Kathleen, an Irish-born homemaker. Oldman later revealed that his father was an abusive alcoholic. His sister, Laila Morse, is also an actor.

Career

Oldman won a scholarship to the Rose Bruford College, where he received a BA in Drama in 1979. He had initially applied for enrollment into Britain's prestigious Royal Academy of Dramatic Arts, but was refused entry and told to "find something else to do for a living." Often quizzed about it in retrospect, his highly successful career considered, he has stated that "the work speaks for itself." Following his graduation from Rose Bruford College, he later studied with the Greenwich Young People's Theatre and went on to appear in a number of stage plays including The Pope's Wedding, for which he received Time Out's Fringe Award for Best Newcomer of 1985 - 1986 and the British Theatre Association's Drama Magazine Award as Best Actor of 1985.

Oldman first appeared on screen in the film Remembrance in 1982, going on to win his first starring role in Sid and Nancy (1986), in which he played the Sex Pistols' ill-fated bassist Sid Vicious.

post-774-1186823720_thumb.jpg

He has played a variety of famous characters including Count Dracula, Ludwig van Beethoven, Joe Orton, Lee Harvey Oswald, James Gordon, Dr. Zachary Smith, Tom Stoppard's Rosencrantz, Pontius Pilate, and the Devil. He has played many villains, including a vampire (Bram Stoker's Dracula), a pimp (True Romance), a disfigured pedophile (Hannibal), a futuristic tyrant (The Fifth Element), a corrupt DEA officer (Léon), a sadistic prison warden (Murder in the First), a terrorist (Air Force One), a presidential assassin (JFK), and a violent football hooligan (The Firm). He was cast as Sirius Black in Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban.

Oldman has received more recent acclaim in his recent films, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (2004), Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (2005), and Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (2007), as well as the extremely successful Batman Begins (2005) and the upcoming The Dark Knight (2008).

In 1997, he directed, produced, and wrote Nil by Mouth, reportedly based on his life, but Oldman himself later said that the movie was more biographical than autobiographical. Nil By Mouth went on to win the Alexander Korda Award for Best British Film, a BAFTA Award (shared with Douglas Urbanski) and also the British Academy Award for Best Screenplay, the Channel 4 Director's Award, and the Empire Award, and was declared by the British Academy of Film and Television Arts as one of the one hundred best films of all time. Recently Nil By Mouth was listed by Time Out as number two of the top 50 best British films ever.

Oldman and producing partner Douglas Urbanski formed the SE8 GROUP to produce Nil By Mouth. The company also produced The Contender, which also starred Oldman. Oldman has finished his latest screenplay, Chang & Eng, based on the novel by Darin Strauss, which SE8 Group will produce. In September 2006 Nokia, Nseries Studio released the Oldman directed short "[Donut]" with music by Tor Hyams. The film was shot with an N93 in order to promote the phone.

Personal life

Oldman has been married three times.

- Lesley Manville (1988 - 1990)

- Uma Thurman (1990 - 1992)

- Donya Fiorentino (1997 - 2001)

He has three sons: Alfie, Gulliver Flynn and Charlie John Oldman.

In 1991, Oldman was arrested for drunk driving. In 1995, he checked himself into a rehab clinic for alcoholism treatment.

post-774-1186822680_thumb.jpg

Filmography

Actor:

1. The Dark Knight (2008) (filming) .... Lt. James Gordon

2. Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (2007) .... Sirius Black

... aka Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix: The IMAX Experience (USA: IMAX version)

3. The Legend of Spyro: A New Beginning (2006) (VG) (voice) .... Ignitus

4. Bosque de sombras (2006) .... Paul

... aka BackWoods (International: English title)

... aka The Backwoods (France)

5. Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (2005) .... Sirius Black

... aka Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire: The IMAX Experience (USA: IMAX version)

6. Batman Begins (2005) .... Jim Gordon

... aka Batman Begins: The IMAX Experience (USA: IMAX version)

7. Who's Kyle? (2004) .... Scouse

8. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (2004) .... Sirius Black

... aka Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban: The IMAX Experience (USA: IMAX version)

9. Dead Fish (2004) .... Lynch

10. Sin (2003/I) .... Charlie Strom

11. True Crime: Streets of LA (2003) (VG) (voice) .... Rocky, Agent Masterson

12. Tiptoes (2003) .... Rolfe

... aka Tiny Tiptoes (France)

13. Medal of Honor: Allied Assault - Spearhead (2003) (VG) (voice) .... Sgt. Jack Barnes

14. Beat the Devil (2002) .... Devil

... aka The Hire: Beat the Devil (USA: series title)

15. Interstate 60 (2002) .... O.W. Grant

... aka I-60 (USA: promotional abbreviation)

... aka Interstate 60: Episodes of the Road (USA)

16. "Friends" .... Richard Crosby (2 episodes, 2001)

- The One with Monica and Chandler's Wedding: Part 1 (2001) TV Episode .... Richard Crosby

- The One with Monica and Chandler's Wedding: Part 2 (2001) TV Episode .... Richard Crosby

17. Hannibal (2001) .... Mason Verger

18. Nobody's Baby (2001) .... Buford Dill

19. The Contender (2000) .... Rep. Sheldon Runyon

... aka Rufmord - Jenseits der Moral (Germany)

20. Jesus (1999) (TV) .... Pontius Pilate

... aka Bibbia: Jesus, La (Italy)

... aka Bibel - Jesus, Die (Germany)

21. "Tracey Takes On..." .... Hairdresser (1 episode, 1999)

- Hair (1999) TV Episode .... Hairdresser

22. Guns N' Roses: Welcome to the Videos (1998) (V) (uncredited) .... Devil in Since I Don´t Have You video

23. The Fifth Element (1998) (VG) (voice) .... Jean-Baptiste Emanuel Zorg

... aka Cinquième élément, Le (France)

24. Quest for Camelot (1998) (voice) .... Baron Ruber

... aka The Magic Sword: Quest for Camelot

25. Lost in Space (1998) .... Spider Smith

... aka LS (USA: promotional abbreviation)

26. Air Force One (1997) .... Ivan Korshunov

... aka AFO

... aka Air Force One (Germany)

27. The Fifth Element (1997) .... Jean-Baptiste Emanuel Zorg

... aka Cinquième élément, Le (France)

28. Basquiat (1996) .... Albert Milo

... aka Build a Fort, Set It on Fire

29. The Scarlet Letter (1995) .... Rev. Arthur Dimmesdale

30. Murder in the First (1995) .... Milton Glenn

... aka Meurtre à Alcatraz (France)

31. Immortal Beloved (1994) .... Ludwig van Beethoven

32. Léon (1994) .... Stansfield

... aka Leon (UK)

... aka The Cleaner

... aka The Professional (USA)

33. Romeo Is Bleeding (1993) .... Jack Grimaldi

34. True Romance (1993) .... Drexl Spivey

... aka Breakaway (Philippines: English title)

35. "Fallen Angels" .... Pat Keiley (1 episode, 1993)

- Dead End for Delia (1993) TV Episode .... Pat Keiley

36. Dracula (1992) .... Dracula

... aka Bram Stoker's Dracula (USA: complete title)

37. JFK (1991) .... Lee Harvey Oswald

... aka JFK (France)

... aka JFK - Affaire non classée (France: poster title)

38. Heading Home (1991) (TV) .... Ian Tyson

39. Henry & June (1990) (as Maurice Escargot) .... Pop

40. State of Grace (1990) .... Jackie Flannery

41. Rosencrantz & Guildenstern Are Dead (1990) .... Rosencrantz

42. "Knots Landing" .... Don Ross (1 episode, 1989)

- Close Call (1989) TV Episode .... Don Ross

43. Chattahoochee (1989) .... Emmett Foley

44. We Think the World of You (1988) .... Johnny

45. Criminal Law (1988) .... Ben Chase

46. Track 29 (1988) .... Martin

47. The Firm (1988) (TV) .... Bex Bissell

48. Prick Up Your Ears (1987) .... Joe Orton

49. Sid and Nancy (1986) .... Sid Vicious

... aka Sid and Nancy: Love Kills

post-774-1186824028_thumb.jpg

50. Honest, Decent & True (1986) (TV) .... Derek Bates

51. Morgan's Boy (1984) (TV) .... Colin

52. "Dramarama" .... Ben (1 episode, 1984)

- On Your Tod (1984) TV Episode .... Ben

53. Meantime (1984) (TV) .... Coxy

54. Remembrance (1982) .... Daniel

Producer:

1. The Contender (2000) (executive producer)

... aka Rufmord - Jenseits der Moral (Germany)

2. Plunkett & Macleane (1999) (executive producer)

3. Nil by Mouth (1997) (producer)

... aka Ne pas avaler (France)

Soundtrack:

1. "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" (1 episode, 1998)

... aka BtVS (USA: promotional abbreviation)

... aka Buffy

... aka Buffy the Vampire Slayer: The Series

- Lovers Walk (1998) TV Episode (performer: "My Way")

2. Quest for Camelot (1998) (performer: "Ruber")

... aka The Magic Sword: Quest for Camelot

3. Sid and Nancy (1986) (performer: "My Way", "Somethin' Else", "I Wanna Be Your Dog")

... aka Sid and Nancy: Love Kills

Camera and Electrical Department:

1. Who's Kyle? (2004) (camera operator) (as Gary von Oldman)

Director:

1. Nil by Mouth (1997)

Writer:

1. Nil by Mouth (1997) (screenplay)

Trade Mark

Characters are usually borderline psychotics. Also known for playing a wide variety of roles that often requires a variety of different accents.

post-774-1186823205_thumb.jpg

Trivia

Brother of Laila Morse.

Considered a career in music.

Has one son, Alfie Oldman, born in 1988, from his first marriage to Lesley Manville.

Dated Isabella Rossellini, met through Immortal Beloved (1994).

Sons, with Donya Fiorentino: Gulliver Flynn Oldman, born 20 August 1997 and Charlie John.

Was arrested for drunk driving in L.A. and released on bail the next morning. His passenger in the car was pal, Kiefer Sutherland. [8 August 1991]

His library includes essays on Bertolt Brecht, poetry by Roger McGough, a biography of Montgomery Clift, The Elizabethan World Picture, all things William Shakespeare and Jane Austen.

Has used a different speaking voice (i.e. accent) in practically every movie he's ever been in.

He and Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (2004) and Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (2005) co-star Timothy Spall have both played the character of Rosencrantz; Spall in Kenneth Branagh's Hamlet (1996), Oldman in Rosencrantz & Guildenstern Are Dead (1990).

He was awarded the 1985 London Critics Circle Theatre Award (Drama Theatre Award) for Best Actor for his performance in "The Pope's Wedding".

Has played Lee Harvey Oswald in both JFK (1991) and _"Who Was Lee Harvey Oswald?" (1992) (mini)_ .

Dated model-actress Ailsa Marshall from 2002-2005.

Was orginally signed to play the Prison Warden in _Longest Yard, The (2005)_ before negotiations fell through. That role was then given to James Cromwell.

His film Nil by Mouth (1997) is loosely based upon his own life growing up in London.

Submitted a recorded voice audition for General Grievous in Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith (2005). George Lucas later chose the anonymous audition of Matthew Wood for the role instead.

Henry & June (1990) is the only film in which he's been credited as "Maurice Escargot".

Appears in Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (2005) and Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (2007) with Ralph Fiennes. Both of them have played villains in the Hannibal Lecter series: Fiennes played Francis Dolarhyde in Red Dragon (2002), and Oldman played Mason Verger in Hannibal (2001).

Rosencrantz & Guildenstern Are Dead (1990) was released on DVD the day after his 47th birthday.

Member of jury at the Cannes Film Festival in 1993.

Graduated from Rose Bruford Drama College 3 year acting course BA-Hons, London, England.

In two movies, his characters have had dynamic relationships with mob bosses named Falcone. In Romeo Is Bleeding (1993), he was working FOR Don Falcone, and in Batman Begins (2005), he was working to bring down Carmine Falcone. In both instances, his character was a cop.

Like Ian McKellen, he has taken on popular characters in screen adaptations of cult favorite fantasy novels and comic books. He appeared as James Gordon in Batman Begins (2005) and The Dark Knight (2008) and as Sirius Black in the middle three Harry Potter films: Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (2004), Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (2005), and Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (2007).

Although he has spent much of his career playing psychotic and sadistic characters, he has recently moved away from that on-screen image by playing more like-able, sympathetic characters like Sirus Black (in Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (2004), Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (2005), and Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (2007)) and Jim Gordon (in Batman Begins (2005)).

Actor Ryan Gosling lists Oldman as his favorite actor.

He and his ex-wife, Uma Thurman, have both appeared in Batman films. Thurman played Poison Ivy in Batman & Robin (1997), and Oldman played James Gordon in Batman Begins (2005).

Uncle of Gerry Bromfield and Tracy Bromfield.

His performance as Sid Vicious in Sid and Nancy (1986) is ranked #62 on Premiere Magazine's 100 Greatest Performances of All Time (2006).

post-774-1186824005_thumb.jpg

Trained at Rose Bruford Drama School Sidcup, Kent. Others who trained there include actors Freddie Jones, Ray Fearon, Tom Baker and Stephen Armourae.

Despite a number of critically acclaimed roles, he has never been nominated for an Academy Award.

Spokesperson for Nokia.

Performed a vocal duet with David Bowie for the song "You've Been Around" on the 1995 album "The Sacred Squall of Now" by longtime Bowie guitarist Reeves Gabrels. He is also featured on the song "Stamford Hill" on the same album.

Has been an inspiration to many actors including up and comers Bo Barrett, Ryan Gosling and Shia LaBeouf .

Is very close to actor and co-star in the Harry Potter franchise Daniel Radcliffe.

post-774-1186823528_thumb.jpg

Personal Quotes

I don't think Hollywood knows what to do with me. I would imagine that when it comes to romantic comedies, my name would be pretty low down on the list.

post-774-1186823241_thumb.jpg

We're given a code to live our lives by. We don't always follow it but it's still there.

[on portraying famous people]: It's a double-edged sword because, in one sense, you have a lot of material to work with, but in a strange kind of way, that puts up a framework that you have to keep within. You can't play Beethoven with pink hair but, to an extent, because no-one has ever met him, who's going to tell me that's not Beethoven?

With Beethoven (Immortal Beloved (1994)) I said I wanted a role where I didn't have to do anything stupid with my hair. My agent said "Read it again!".

post-774-1186822816_thumb.gif

[on making Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (2004)]: I've done so much R-rated work, it's nice to have a job you can show your kids.

I had this idea of myself as a shy, kind, sweet chap. I was working with Winona Ryder and she turned to me and said, "Fuck, man, you're really intense!" I was so shocked, I went, "What do you mean? I'm not intense, I'm sweet!" My passion and energy get mistaken for anger.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, it's not Dracula crying, it's Gary Oldman, but using the technique of the character. The emotion is mine, because I don't know what it's like to be undead and live 300 years.

post-774-1186822985_thumb.gif

Any actor who tells you that they have become the people they play, unless they're clearly diagnosed as a schizophrenic, is bullshitting you.

I used to be under the impression that in some kind of wanky, bullshit way, acting was like therapy: you get in and grapple with and exorcise all those demons inside of you. I don't believe that anymore. It's like a snow shaker. You shake the thing up, but it can't escape the glass. It can't get out. And it will settle until the next time you shake it up.

[On the shooting for his writing/directing debut Nil by Mouth (1997)]: I set aside three weeks for rehearsals. Those long scenes are like a play. But I wanted things loosely structured, more like jazz. Though there was very little improv on screen, sometimes we'd improvise, rev up, to get the energy before shooting. One rule that I broke was that you need to leave a little air between people's lines, that you can't overlap dialogue because you'll clip words on a cut. But you can overlap dialogue, even though editors don't like it. Otherwise, it's your turn to talk, my turn. Another thing: I used only one camera! I'd say to the cameraman, "I need it from this angle!" From my brief association with Isabella Rossellini, I got a new appreciation of Pier Paolo Pasolini and how he was religious about where the camera should go, whether it was too high, too low. I would ask questions on the set, quietly: "For this emotion, is the camera angle too wide, is the camera too low?" I wanted night to look like night! I bullied the cameraman a bit until he got into the swing. You could pick up the light metre and say, seeing how little light, "You've got to be fucking joking!"

Change is vital to any actor. If you keep playing lead after lead, you're really gonna dry up. Because all those vehicles wean you away from the truths of human behaviour.

There's an uncanny thing that chemically happens to you when you're in the chronic stages of alcoholic drinking. I have been able, on occasions, to have two bottles of vodka and still be up talking to people. That got very frightening. By nature I'm an isolationalist, so my boozing was at home, thank you. I was not a goer-outer. I mean, I didn't drink for the taste and I didn't want to be social. Someone once described alcoholics as egomaniacs with low self-esteem. Perfect definition.

To be able to do this job in the first place you've got to have a bit of an ego.

I applaud anything that can take a kid away from a PlayStation or a Gameboy. That is a miracle in itself.

I suddenly got obsessive about boxing and Muhammad Ali around the time he was fighting Joe Frazier. I went off and did boxing. I looked incredibly good in the gym.

post-774-1186823474_thumb.jpg

Various pics I found with google

post-774-1186822642_thumb.jpg

post-774-1186822652_thumb.jpg

post-774-1186822901_thumb.jpg

post-774-1186822912_thumb.jpg

post-774-1186822944_thumb.jpg

post-774-1186823102_thumb.jpg

post-774-1186823135_thumb.jpg

post-774-1186823277_thumb.jpg

post-774-1186823288_thumb.jpg

post-774-1186823298_thumb.jpg

post-774-1186823311_thumb.jpg

post-774-1186823324_thumb.jpg

post-774-1186823339_thumb.jpg

post-774-1186823350_thumb.jpg

post-774-1186823360_thumb.jpg

post-774-1186823629_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
i think he made a dreadful Siruis :blah:

But I like him as an actor

Well, I thought he was good. Sirius is pretty different in the movies than the books. I don't compare the two. In the movie he's just likable is all. :lost:

I haven't read the books yet that's so I cannot compare him to the original character. I think he's acting very good, I like him playing a nice guy at last :laugh:

.... and then he's terribly good looking as Sirius ... :shifty:

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...