Bellazon

Cobra Starship
Thumbnail

Cobra Starship

soapbandyk3.jpg

Cobra Starship is an alternative rock band created by Midtown bassist/lead vocalist Gabe Saporta as a side project. They are perhaps best known for their song "Bring It (Snakes on a Plane)," which was not written or set to the film "Snakes on a Plane", but later became an amazing coincidence. The members of Cobra Starship, along with vocalist Gabe Saporta, include Victoria Asher (keytar), Ryland Blackinton (guitar), Alex Suarez (bass) and Nate Navarro (drums).

Gabe Saporta, along with William Beckett of The Academy Is..., Travis McCoy of Gym Class Heroes, Maja Ivarsson of The Sounds, Nick Wheeler of The All-American Rejects (although Wheeler didn't appear in the video but played guitar) and Pete Wentz of Fall Out Boy (as a cameo) were featured in a music video for the movie Snakes on a Plane. The song, "Bring It (Snakes on a Plane)," was featured on the Snakes on a Plane: The Album, released on August 15, 2006.

Cobra Starship toured with Cartel, Boys Like Girls, Permanent Me, and Quietdrive throughout the months of February and March, and have since then joined Fall Out Boy, +44, The Academy Is..., and Paul Wall on the 2007 Honda Civic Tour starting in April. In addition, the group has confirmed tour dates with The Academy Is... in Australia in August.

Biography

Cobra Starship, whose band name originates from Gabe Saporta's two "old vintage-style jackets," was formed in 2005. According to legend, Saporta sought out to discover his true purpose and meaning in the desert of Arizona. On one distinct night, a snake - more befittinglyeventual frontman of his mission and point of existence - leading the human race into the end with "style." Even more, he must "[teach] hipsters to not take themselves so seriously and by telling emo kids to stop being pussies." Thus, the legend continued, and Cobra Starship came together in New York City, with Ryland Blackinton & Alex Suarez of Ivy League, Nate Navarro (who previously worked as a drum tech for the bands Hidden in Plain View and Armor for Sleep), and Elisa Schwartz joining Gabe Saporta.

During the summer of 2006, the band released the song "Snakes on a Plane (Bring It)," a song written mostly before the movie came out. Hence, the line "pop the cheap champagne, we're goin' down in flames," ironically, was written even before the song was in the movie. Following the release of the single, the band surged in popularity and recognition, in part due to the film Snakes on a Plane's success in the box office. Furthermore, in July of 2006, the group signed to Decaydance Records, an imprint of indie label Fueled By Ramen. During that autumn, the band took part in touring with fellow Decaydance member, hip hop band Gym Class Heroes, who also happened to gain success & recognition at that time. While the City Sleeps, We Rule the Streets was then released in October, reaching number one on the US Billboard Top Heatseekers Chart. Schwartz parted ways with the band in early 2007, and was subsequently replaced by keytarist Victoria Asher.

The band covered Lionel Richie's "Three Times a Lady" for the TV show "The Girls Next Door", and additionally have made a new song, "Awww Dip," for the TMNT movie soundtrack, released on March 20, 2007.The song The song "The Church Of Hot Addiction" (instrumental track) has also been used for a T.G.I. Friday's commercial. The band is responsible for the phrase, "throw your fangs up," accompanied by the gesture of placing two bent fingers in your left hand in front of the open palm of the right hand. Currently, the group is on the Honda Civic Tour with the headliners, Fall Out Boy, and other artists, including +44, Paul Wall and The Academy Is.... Moreover, in light of Travis McCoy's absence on the tour, rapper Paul Wall raps McCoy's lyrics on the tour.

Fall Out Boy vocalist and guitarist Patrick Stump makes a cameo appearance in the video for Send My Love to the Dance Floor, I'll See You in Hell (Hey Mr. DJ). Stump is also producing the next Cobra Starship album which is set to release in early 2008., a cobra - bit his neck, and upon waking up, told him of the eventual demise of the world and mankind. The mystifying cobra foretold the

Members

Gabe Saporta

Alex Suarez

Ryland Blackinton

Victoria Asher

Nate Novarro

Former members

Elisa Schwartz - Keytar

Source:

Wikipedia

• 4 months later...

They're pretty good. I especially like:

One Day, Robots Will Cry

Kiss My Sass

The World Has It's Shine (But I Would Drop It On A Dime)

The Church of Hot Addiction

It's Warmer In The Basement

It's Amateur Night At The Apollo Creed!

:ninja:

• 4 months later...