Bellazon

Tennis

safin83

I would like to see Kuznetsova be the number 1 Russian. Petrova was for a bit last year. What happened to Nadia anyway? I remember around this time she had won several titles. About Murray not playing Roland Garros, I don't think he would've gotten very far anyway. He's still growing into his body and his movement would probably not be in top form. As long as he gets to Wimbledon and keeps the Brits happy. Btw are you a big Murray fan? You're from the UK so I was just wondering is he really famous there? He's ALWAYS mentioned on BBC.com.

Nadia injured her back in Rome and lost points from Berlin where she was defending champion so she has fallen out of the Top 10. However, she doesn't have many points to defend in the next few weeks so if she's fit for Roland Garros she could storm her way back up. Kuzzie is not far off overtaking Maria for the world #2 spot.

I am a fan of Murray just because he's the only real British prospect right now. He's been unlucky with injuries lately but he's moving his way up. I'm a bigger fan of Federer. Andy reckons he's a good clay courter - unlike most Brits he trained on Spanish clay - and his game seems suited to it. The problem in the UK is that the majority of people don't realise tennis happens 11 months of the year because they only ever see the two weeks of Wimbledon which is shown on the BBC all day long. The BBC like to champion UK sport so Murray does get mentioned on there quite a bit; he is pretty well-known here. Like Henman, he will probably be considered a failure (unfairly) in this country unless he wins Wimbledon but I think his best chance is at the US Open. He says he really likes to play in New York.

And your dad has some cheek telling you to lose weight! :laugh: ;)

Yeah I was really surprised when my dad told me. Good for him. Now I can root for Rafa hahaha. No, I would like to see Roger take the French or someone else. Jankovic played well I think. She beat Kuznetsova 7-5, 6-1. If only she could beat Henin instead of losing to her after having a big lead. But for some reason I don't see her winning a slam. I didn't know that about Murray being good on clay, thanks. I wonder how Roddick will do at Roland Garros. No matter how well he does as long as he plays he won't lose any points. Hewitt seems to be playing better as well. It will be interesting to see if Murray can get to at least the quarterfinals at Wimbledon. I remember watching a match of Andy Roddick's on tv during the 2005 one and Murray was playing Nalbandian in another court and at one point in the match you could actually hear the crowd cheering after Murray got the set. I mean here in America no one cares about tennis. No one hopes an American will win the US open really. People just see that there's no Sampras or Agassi winning multiple slams and they say that American tennis is done or sucks. No one here knows who Federer is. I'm lucky if they know who Roddick is.

Jankovic must now be 3rd favorite for Roland Garros behind Justine and Serena. She has a definite chance I think. She will also be #4 in the world on Monday.

Btw, Murray has said he is good on clay but he's not yet proved it. Last year he was losing a lot because he had a massive growth spurt and was also not that fit. This year obviously he's had the injuries. So he's not really had an injury-free run on the clay yet on the ATP Tour. Perhaps next year.

I can understand that American tennis has taken a bit of a dip. Sampras, Agassi, Davenport retired, Capriati and Seles are probably retired. The Williams sisters didn't really figure last year. Roddick was slumping. I think that has to change this year. Roddick has improved, Serena is back, Venus is getting there. Blake can be a contender at Flushing Meadows. I don't think it's a bad as you make it sound. Surely people know who Federer is, he's mates with Tiger Woods! And what about Sharapova?

I was in Boston a couple of years ago when the US Open was on and pretty much every match they showed on TV involved an American. I think the coverage we get in the UK is better, or at least more rounded, because we haven't got that many good domestic players so they have to show something. :laugh:

Im so happy because Jelena won. At least one good news today.

:flower: C'mon think about it. Even if you're not a fan of Fedex this makes Roland Garros more exciting because you know either Roger or Rafa can beat the other in a clay final.

Jankovic must now be 3rd favorite for Roland Garros behind Justine and Serena. She has a definite chance I think. She will also be #4 in the world on Monday.

Btw, Murray has said he is good on clay but he's not yet proved it. Last year he was losing a lot because he had a massive growth spurt and was also not that fit. This year obviously he's had the injuries. So he's not really had an injury-free run on the clay yet on the ATP Tour. Perhaps next year.

I can understand that American tennis has taken a bit of a dip. Sampras, Agassi, Davenport retired, Capriati and Seles are probably retired. The Williams sisters didn't really figure last year. Roddick was slumping. I think that has to change this year. Roddick has improved, Serena is back, Venus is getting there. Blake can be a contender at Flushing Meadows. I don't think it's a bad as you make it sound. Surely people know who Federer is, he's mates with Tiger Woods! And what about Sharapova?

I was in Boston a couple of years ago when the US Open was on and pretty much every match they showed on TV involved an American. I think the coverage we get in the UK is better, or at least more rounded, because we haven't got that many good domestic players so they have to show something. :laugh:

Yes I agree. Also Seles isn't American. Capriati is still injured with two wrist injuries but I really think she might come back for a bit. She was one of my favorites.

Seles DID play for the USA.

Sharapova is still a Russian citizen despite living in Florida for years. Her non-fans like to argue that she is practically American because she's lived there so long and also because she has avoided representing Russia in any team events. That was set to change this year when she made herself available for the Russian Fed Cup team but injury ruled her out.

Where are you from originally? I'm British-American so I guess that makes me more American than you. :p

Well I was born in Herzegovina but am of Serbian descent from my dad's side and then whatever my mom is and I moved to Canada during the war when I was 2 and then I moved here to America when I was 9. Almost 10. So basically I am really nothing. When I was growing up in Toronto we were around a lot of Serbian people so we could to talk to each other and I could read and write and stuff and then when we moved here no one here is from where we're from. Right now, here I am a foreigner but over there I am American. Btw, do you speak with a British accent?

Btw, who are your favorite players? I like Guga but he has not been so successful recently. I also like Roddick and many people criticize me for this. Something about him not having a good attitude on the court :whistle:. I'm rooting for Roger to give Nadal a great challenge for the French. I don't really judge on the tennis that much though. I mean with most of the top men (well aside the top 2) one could beat the other on any given day. I really judge on personality from there on out and looks I would say being a teenage girl. I really like Safin and I remember how great watching him win the Australian Open 2005 semi. So he's def. one of my favorites. If only he would get it together!!!

Well I was born in Herzegovina but am of Serbian descent from my dad's side and then whatever my mom is and I moved to Canada during the war when I was 2 and then I moved here to America when I was 9. Almost 10. So basically I am really nothing. When I was growing up in Toronto we were around a lot of Serbian people so we could to talk to each other and I could read and write and stuff and then when we moved here no one here is from where we're from. Right now, here I am a foreigner but over there I am American. Btw, do you speak with a British accent?

Okay, I guessed right, I think because you are a big fan of Novak and Ana. :)

I have lived in Britain all my life so I have a British accent. I remember when I was much younger that when I visited my cousins in Boston my accent would switch to American after a few days. It was really weird. It doesn't do that anymore though. My mom is American and most people here in Manchester think she sounds American but when she is in the States everyone think she sounds British.

Do people still judge you as a foreigner after several years living there? I think having different cultural backgrounds helps give you your identity and sets you apart from everyone else. :cool: (Wow, this is all way off topic).

Well I've lived in an English speaking country for almost all my life so I have no accent but my parents have very thick accents and everyone knows my family is foreign. Yeah it is off-topic. I have a friend from Ireland whose accent changes when she talks with me. It becomes much more American haha. Yes offtopic. Qualifiers today btw.