Bellazon

Tennis

safin83

All-Williams Wimbledon final raises TV ratings

The Associated PressPublished: July 6, 2008

NEW YORK: The Williams sisters' duel drew the highest preliminary television ratings for a women's Wimbledon final in three years.

Venus Williams' straight-set victory over younger sister Serena on Saturday earned a 3.4 overnight rating and a 10 share on NBC, the network said Sunday. That's up 21 percent from the 2.8/8 for last year's meeting between Venus and Marion Bartoli.

It's the best rating since a 4.0/12 in 2005 for the match between Venus and Lindsay Davenport.

The rating is the percentage watching a program among homes with televisions, and the share is the percentage tuned into the broadcast among those households with TVs on at the time. Overnight ratings measure the country's largest markets.

Whenever it rains at Wimbledon they always show the classic Borg-McEnroe tie break to pass the time. Now, I think they've got a new one to show that's just as good. As usual I was pulling for Federer, but immense credit must go to Nadal, that was the best match I've ever seen.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
to be honest... im seriously bored!!! hard court is just blehhh for me! i can't wait till RG!

Hard court is miles better than clay. Actually grass is better than both. If I was to rank this year's slams in terms of quality I'd put Wimbledon first (probably just for that men's final), then Aussie Open (probably just for Tsonga's amazing run), then US Open and RG last.

Maybe US Open will go top if Roger can win it!

to be honest... im seriously bored!!! hard court is just blehhh for me! i can't wait till RG!

Hard court is miles better than clay. Actually grass is better than both. If I was to rank this year's slams in terms of quality I'd put Wimbledon first (probably just for that men's final), then Aussie Open (probably just for Tsonga's amazing run), then US Open and RG last.

Maybe US Open will go top if Roger can win it!

Englishman defending Wimbledon :cain:

But yes, RG is probable boring cause Nadal always wins, but I like it that way.

Englishman defending Wimbledon :cain:

But yes, RG is probable boring cause Nadal always wins, but I like it that way.

:laugh: Wimbledon was awesome this year. Yeah I'm probably biased - that's the only slam I've been to. Also the coverage of RG in this country kinda sucks. I've got nothing against Nadal winning RG every year, after all you could easily lay the same accusation at Federer for US Open or Wimby (until this year). Too many long grinding matches on clay, it's just not my favourite surface.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...